Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move?

Wow, teams are going to be knocking the door down to sign FA Tim Wakefield.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

What prospects do the redsox have left that the Mariners would be interested in? Don't be surprised if the Yanks go after Felix with Montero being the center piece. We will see.  -- MajorMatthew
    --------------------------------------
    Jesseyeric said you told him that you were working for BDC "posing" as a Yankee fan to stir the pot here.  Is this true?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

If Theo goes into sell mode, he could deal them and pay a significant part of their salaries and maybe get a good prospect or two. Drew and Scutty could get a couple more. Papelbon and Papi could get a nice prospect or two, since they have just one year left. All together, perhaps they could put together a deal for a guy like Felix (maybe with more added

Ortiz won't get "a nice prospect", nor will Drew. A few months of Papelbon might get one. To get Felix, young cheap talent like Ellsbury, Lowrie, Doubrant, Ranaudo, etc. will have to be in the package. The Yankees will counter, of course. But given how good Felix is, and how cheap he is, I see no way the Mariners shop him for less than "the entire farm" because he is a big draw and they have the best young pitcher in baseball as the face of their franchise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

John Henry's views on Theo Epstein (see below) are more like a family relationship than a corporate one, IMO. Better to argue based upon facts than just pure opinions, "that's elementary Watson."
    NESN
    John Henry Pleased With Job Being Done by Theo Epstein by Tony Lee on Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:00PM  FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Theo Epstein is the general manager of the Boston Red Sox. As for how long that will remain the case, it doesn't seem to be a pressing issue.  "We haven't had any substantive conversations recently," principal owner John Henry said when asked if he has discussed a contract extension with Epstein. "I always ask him how he's doing. Things are going extremely well from our vantage point, from his vantage point." Epstein signed a new contract in Sept. 2008, reported at the time to be for three years. If the GM is in fact entering his final season in Boston, nobody is saying, and nobody seems too concerned on the surface. "I can't even tell you when his contract is up," Henry added. "The important thing is we're all happy."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Why this venting about Theo now when we didn't hear a bit of it a month ago? How can logic become so fickle? RSN was delighted with Theo's signings during the winter. Now that the players are not performing, it has to be Theo's fault.

Matt Clement was great for Boston, made the All Star game, and then got injured and was never the same pitcher - obviously Theo's fault ( his crystal ball should have seen that coming).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Your writing (style) reminds me that there is a certain randomness to life (and baseball). In that vain (of randomness), perhaps Crawford will get a ball of the noggin that instead of ruining his career will serve to kick him into gear and he'll start to be the 300 slap hitter with a little pop and a ton of speed that he has always been.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

next move is pretty obvious -  a new manager

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move?:
    [QUOTE]next move is pretty obvious -  a new manager
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

So says Georom, BaseballDr, Bosox1941.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Just to be clear, I never said "high level" prospects....I said prospects.  And I also didn't they could get King F but I said they should try (ie when they ask for prospects try and keep in mind what the M's need).  I do think they could put together a package good enough to land a Jonathan Sanchez type starter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I would replace the pitching coach now! People in the media are saying it's not his fault. I don't buy it. It's one thing to see one or two pitchers struggle (and it could be your best), but when the whole staff is struggling - whether SP or BP - the problem has to stem from outside the individual pitchers themselves. There is something about the system by which they preapre for games that is keeping them perform at this ridiculous level.

If it's just focus that these pitchers need, firing the PC will certainly get their attention.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

I made a thread about this but...
    Lars anderson.
    He has no spot on this team anymore unless he decides to  convert positions. Both third and first base will be clogged for years and years. He may not be playing like we thought he would but he is only 23 years old. He has plenty of time to get back on track. So we need to hope he starts hitting the first half and then BAM trade him at the trading deadline for a pitcher maybe throw in Dice K or something.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez

• Clay Buchholz, RHP
    • Jose Iglesias, SS
    • Garin Cecchini, 3B
    • Drake Britton, LHP
    • Felix Doubront, LHP

Buchholz is a young arm that has major league experience. Obviously, the Red Sox would rather have a rotation with both Felix and Buccholz in it, but if they want Felix bad enough it would cost them. With Casey Kelly going to San Diego last winter in the Adrian Gonzalez deal, that removes the top pitching prospect the Mariners may have coveted. 

Iglesias offers solid defensive potential. He is 21 and has played one season of pro ball after defecting from Cuba. He whizzed through a short stint at A ball and played decent during his time in AA.

Cecchini would give the Mariners a corner infielder with a good bat—one for average. Britton is a 21 year old lefty still in A ball, but is highly regarded and we know how lefties do at Safeco.

Finally, toss in your Felix for our Felix. Doubront is 23. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez

In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]Clay Buchholz, RHP Jose Iglesias, SS Garin Cecchini, 3B Drake Britton, LHP Felix Doubront, LHP Buchholz is a young arm that has major league experience. Obviously, the Red Sox would rather have a rotation with both Felix and Buccholz in it, but if they want Felix bad enough it would cost them. With Casey Kelly going to San Diego last winter in the Adrian Gonzalez deal, that removes the top pitching prospect the Mariners may have coveted.  Iglesias offers solid defensive potential. He is 21 and has played one season of pro ball after defecting from Cuba. He whizzed through a short stint at A ball and played decent during his time in AA. Cecchini would give the Mariners a corner infielder with a good bat—one for average. Britton is a 21 year old lefty still in A ball, but is highly regarded and we know how lefties do at Safeco. Finally, toss in your Felix for our Felix. Doubront is 23. 
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]I'd put Youk at the top of the list myself.
    Youk
    Dice
    Doubront
    Ells
    Reddick
    Kalish
    Anderson
    I'd at least try it and see if Seattle hung up on me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lars won't work - the M's have Justin Smoak.  They could use a good OF - like Jake or Kalish and an IF'er like Lowrie.....Ellsbury, Lowrie, and whatever 2 pitching prospects they want would be more realistic.......the problem is that we don't have the pitching prospects anymore like a C Kelley.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox do not need Felix H. 

It seems a few of you are thinking of this so-called trade since Boston is off to a slow start. 

Pretty soon, Boston will pick it up and start to win again. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]Lars won't work - the M's have Justin Smoak.  They could use a good OF - like Jake or Kalish and an IF'er like Lowrie.....Ellsbury, Lowrie, and whatever 2 pitching prospects they want would be more realistic.......the problem is that we don't have the pitching prospects anymore like a C Kelley.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]I think they'd listen if Youk's name came up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox do not need Felix H.  It seems a few of you are thinking of this so-called trade since Boston is off to a slow start.  Pretty soon, Boston will pick it up and start to win again. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]Name me a team in MLB that doesn't need Felix H.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez : Name me a team in MLB that doesn't need Felix H.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

It would be good for the Red Sox to get Felix H.  But he is not worth trading away Youk and other top prospects.

For all I care, the state of Washington can keep Felix H. and Microsoft. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Lets trade them Crawford, Dice K, and lackey :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo has Gonzalez; what’s his next big move? His next target=Felix Hernandez : It would be good for the Red Sox to get Felix H.  But he is not worth trading away Youk and other top prospects. For all I care, the state of Washington can keep Felix H. and Microsoft. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

And if Buchholz is being included in the deal, it's only a slight upgrade, and with all the players that some posters have put in the deal, the Sox would end up losing in the long run.

Some of the deals proposed are quite bizarre in terms overpaying in players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

So this thread(like every other one) has people demanding certain people be fired. Of course the call to fire Tito (one of the top 5 managers in the game) is out there as usual. I ask this of the people who want to fire the best Red Sox manager in the last 90 years.... who is out there that you KNOW will do a better job than the guy who has led you to the postseason almost every year he has been in Boston & to 2 World Championships? Then there is the call to fire the pitching coach.....really? With all of your many years in the game you know that this pitching coach isn't getting the job done? Don't you think it is prudent to maybe give the guy a couple of months before you fire the guy?(Of course you can tell WAY BETTER than the the baseball lifers in the orginization that he can't get it done.) Again I will ask.... who is out there that YOU KNOW will do better?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

As much as I would love to see king felix in a sox uniform, i just dont know how likely it is. If the m's start shopping him which by the looks of things could end up being sooner rather than later, the sox will no doubt be in on him. A rotation of felix, lester, beckett, buchholz, and lackey would be even better than philly's rotation. I would sell the farm to get king felix as he is worth it. And as much as I hate to bring this up, this is where not signing texiera may hurt us. If we had signed him we would not have had to trade kelly and rizzo as well fuentes to get agonz. Those guys, mainly kelly and rizzo, would have helped to create a very enticing package to offer the mariners. They get the power hitter they are looking for, a potential 1/2 pitcher, and what ever else we would include in the package. Also, due the agonz package could have landed us justin upton this past offseason as well. In the same article it mentioned that arizona also offered us upton for buchholz. I have to say, that is a pretty enticing offer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Loftsaw. Show Loftsaw's posts

An offer of Ellsbury, Lowrie, Wakefield, and Varitek for King Felix should get it done. The Mariners won't be able to turn down so many superstars, but hopefully the Red Sox will be able to withstand the loss of the next Ted Williams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Loftsaw: very good.
    UR homepage says you are female.
    Very good.