Theo haters may get their wish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Theo haters may get their wish

In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish:
    [QUOTE]Make sure your unconfessed and contrition lacking sins don't outnumber the hair folliicles on your head.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

...ok ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Make sure your unconfessed and contrition lacking sins don't outnumber the hair folliicles on your head.

Bald people sin less.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Make sure your unconfessed and contrition lacking sins don't outnumber the hair folliicles on your head. Bald people sin less.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Oh.  Ok.  Thanks.  I thought that, perhaps, St. Peter had some sort of hard-and-fast rule about sins-per-hair follicle-ratio when you get to the pearly gates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I think if Theo went elsewhere we would at least get a look at just how much he has done for the team. I mean, we didn't appreciate Duquette until a 2004 team stocked mainly with his players pulled off a great playoff run, and he didn't have Henry's money to play around with. I like Theo, don't get me wrong, but I think he is highly over-rated and many others could do what he's done given a rich owner and all the resources available to him.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    \

I disagree, mostly because you’re wrong.

First of all, yes there were several Duquette players on the team, but easily as many key player were brought in by Epstein.  People who like to attribute 2004 to Duquette never seem to want to explain why the team never won anything in DD’s tenure. 

But more important is the over simplification of Henry’s money.  While Epstein did outspend Duquette, Duquette was a payroll frontrunner at or near Yankee payroll for most of his time.  In fact, unlike Epstein, Duquette did actually put together the highest payroll in MLB (and didn’t win anything with it, either). The Yankees NEVER spent $200mill on his watch, and in fact barely ever topped $100mill.  They have been at or very near the $200mill threshold every year of Epstein's reign except 2003.  So simply stating that DD would have been better with equal financial resources just doesn’t take into account how spending was around the league even during that short time span.  Heck, Lou Gorman could have built a few winners in the 1980’s with $150mil when most other teams had payrolls in the $40-50 mill range; does that him a better GM, too?

I’ve bashed Duquette repeatedly, but he was a very innovative GM.  He was a master at pitching reclaimation projects, and had the foresight to tap into Asian leagues before any other GM really saw the avenue.  The downside however, was he got very little that way, and it compromised his Latino development.  He did try something new, however, and I cannot hold that against him.

Financial resources can be a curse when evaluating a GM., not only because spending raises the expectations.  Billy Beane was considered elite, yet he never won anything.  Ditto Andrew Friedman, and numerous others, such as Mark Shapiro. GM’s like these have done a solid job fielding competitors with very little money, but the common myth is that translates to immediate success when they have a budget.  It doesn’t, and no GM was better proof of this than Duquette. 
    By the way, fans chanting for Epstein to leave should be in for a rude awakening when he is replaced.  Whoever his replacement is not very likely to have a better track record with free agent signings.  Fans who expect perfection in an arena where no one achieves it are going to always be disappointed.  And unless Epstein is replaced by a personal protégé, the recent success could easily end very quickly.

But hey, as long as Epstein is out of the picture, I’m sure that will make them happy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : that was true; the cubs had a inept GM, but they finally got rid of his butt. the SOX have to do the same. the sooner, the better. how many more years will this two  WS excuse go on? i guarantee it's not happening this year. main reason----THEO.
    Posted by theYAZZER[/QUOTE]

Wow! Dumbest entitlemest post of the year!!!

Epstein's major problem is whiny fans with tunnel vision who cannot accept only winning two World Series titles in a 7 year period.  Let me tell you how to handle this Yazzer.  Baseball is clearly not for you.  You need to switch your allegiance to UConn's women's basketball.  It is the only team in all of New England capable of the perfection you demand.  .

To me, this Theo Hate makes zero sense.

This certainly is a great team.  They have won more titles than any team since he took over.  Who are all these other great GMs that he can easily be replaced with?  Since his critics are obsessed with free agent track record as a worthwhile reason for removing him ,who does better?  Specific names only, please.  So I can remind those who don’t pay attention to other teams just how common this is.

In fact, Epstein’s free agent track record is only bad with the large money deals, and even in those he is actually fairly typical.  Even as a Drew supporter, it’s hard to call him a good deal.  He was simply nowhere near as bad as his critics obsess him to be.  Lackey has actually been reasonable – 1 year to career norms, 1 subpar with personal issues.  Crawford has only been here less than 1 year in, over half of which has been to his career norms.  Clement was an All Star his first season in Boston, but worthless after that.  Renteria hit as well as the guy he replaced, and actually fielded about the same for one season.  Daisuke was mildly successful, but overall not a good deal.  I know I would have made it, given the chance, however.  Lugo was a bust.  His free agent track record is actually fairly common, and it is unlikely anyone else would have done better.  And at some point, if a GM gives money to an established player, or an elite player, and that player struggles, when does responsibility shift to the player?   When does a fan stop living in a hypothetical dream world, thinking that the other choice clearly would have succeeded here and there was no other option?  If you are one of those “can’t cut it in Boston” guys, where is the guarantee that, say, Matt Holliday would have survived here?  Was it because of his ability to thrive in the intense scrutiny of the Denver Media?  If Holliday was here hitting .240, how many would be crying “we should have waited for Crawford!”?

His best successes have been the scrap heap free agents, such as Ortiz and Aceves.  These are the tougher guys to get.  Names like Crawford or Lackey have maybe half a dozen potential suitors.  Exactly how many teams was Ortiz out of the price range for when Minnesota released him?  And how did Epstein even convince this guy to come to Boston, given the DH/1B glut he had at the time? There were no other teams in MLB that could guarantee more playing time?  I don’t think many fans realize how much of a major coup this deal was, and prefer to write it off as a “no brainer” because the only other option is to give actual credit.  The raelity, the going after players like Lackey and CRawford are the "no brainer" deals.  Ortiz was anything but.

Epstein’s true weakness has been in trades.   He has certainly had successes there (Schilling, Gonzalez, Renteria for Crisp, etc.), but some of his trades have simply been boneheaded from the concept stage – like Arroyo for Pena or Meredith/Bard for Mirabelli.

Anyone who thinks this team somehow should have won more titles since 2003 is using a tunnel vision approach.  There has been no season in Epstein’s regime where the Yankees alone were pushovers, let alone the rest of MLB (you know, those other 28 teams his critics refuse to acknowledge).  Money is a convenient excuse, but for some reason critics only compare to past Sox payrolls, and not the overall escalatin of MLB salaries.  (Duquette had the highest payroll in MLB more often than Epstein, and never won anything.)

The real crowner is the people who have anointed Lucchino as the brains, not Epstein.  Really?  I bet if you asked Lucchino – who has a far greater track record for failing than Epstein does – what his best move was, he would mention bring Epstein over from San Diego and appointing him the GM.  So, if you want Epstein gone, guess who hires his replacement?  And guess what kind of guy he is going to look for to replace him?

I almost hope Epstein goes, just so we can see the critics defend their replacement for him once the team tanks.  And it will be interesting how long into the new GMs tenure before he gets full credit.  If he wins in 2012, will any of Epstein’s critics say “Yeah, but he did it with Epstein’s guys”?  Or does that door shut immediately THIS time?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Great post notin. Both of them. As I said earlier in this thread, people who are calling for Theo's head should go back in history and examine the case of Ed Barrow. It's very easy for a potential dynasty to turn into a perennial also-ran. I must say in defense of the Duke however, that he did pull off Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb, which is probably the baseball equivalent of Robert Parish and Kevin McHale for Joe Barry Carroll.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : \ I disagree, mostly because you’re wrong. First of all, yes there were several Duquette players on the team, but easily as many key player were brought in by Epstein.  People who like to attribute 2004 to Duquette never seem to want to explain why the team never won anything in DD’s tenure.  But more important is the over simplification of Henry’s money.  While Epstein did outspend Duquette, Duquette was a payroll frontrunner at or near Yankee payroll for most of his time.  In fact, unlike Epstein, Duquette did actually put together the highest payroll in MLB (and didn’t win anything with it, either). The Yankees NEVER spent $200mill on his watch, and in fact barely ever topped $100mill.  They have been at or very near the $200mill threshold every year of Epstein's reign except 2003.  So simply stating that DD would have been better with equal financial resources just doesn’t take into account how spending was around the league even during that short time span.  Heck, Lou Gorman could have built a few winners in the 1980’s with $150mil when most other teams had payrolls in the $40-50 mill range; does that him a better GM, too? I’ve bashed Duquette repeatedly, but he was a very innovative GM.  He was a master at pitching reclaimation projects, and had the foresight to tap into Asian leagues before any other GM really saw the avenue.  The downside however, was he got very little that way, and it compromised his Latino development.  He did try something new, however, and I cannot hold that against him. Financial resources can be a curse when evaluating a GM., not only because spending raises the expectations.  Billy Beane was considered elite, yet he never won anything.  Ditto Andrew Friedman, and numerous others, such as Mark Shapiro. GM’s like these have done a solid job fielding competitors with very little money, but the common myth is that translates to immediate success when they have a budget.  It doesn’t, and no GM was better proof of this than Duquette.  By the way, fans chanting for Epstein to leave should be in for a rude awakening when he is replaced.  Whoever his replacement is not very likely to have a better track record with free agent signings.  Fans who expect perfection in an arena where no one achieves it are going to always be disappointed.  And unless Epstein is replaced by a personal protégé, the recent success could easily end very quickly. But hey, as long as Epstein is out of the picture, I’m sure that will make them happy.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

notin just around the strike period Duquette had agreements to bring in Kevin Appier, John Wettland, and Sammy Sosa... what might have been.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Wow! Dumbest entitlemest post of the year!!! Epstein's major problem is whiny fans with tunnel vision who cannot accept only winning two World Series titles in a 7 year period.  Let me tell you how to handle this Yazzer.  Baseball is clearly not for you.  You need to switch your allegiance to UConn's women's basketball.  It is the only team in all of New England capable of the perfection you demand.  . To me, this Theo Hate makes zero sense. This certainly is a great team.  They have won more titles than any team since he took over.  Who are all these other great GMs that he can easily be replaced with?  Since his critics are obsessed with free agent track record as a worthwhile reason for removing him ,who does better?  Specific names only, please.  So I can remind those who don’t pay attention to other teams just how common this is. In fact, Epstein’s free agent track record is only bad with the large money deals, and even in those he is actually fairly typical.  Even as a Drew supporter, it’s hard to call him a good deal.  He was simply nowhere near as bad as his critics obsess him to be.  Lackey has actually been reasonable – 1 year to career norms, 1 subpar with personal issues.  Crawford has only been here less than 1 year in, over half of which has been to his career norms.  Clement was an All Star his first season in Boston, but worthless after that.  Renteria hit as well as the guy he replaced, and actually fielded about the same for one season.  Daisuke was mildly successful, but overall not a good deal.  I know I would have made it, given the chance, however.  Lugo was a bust.  His free agent track record is actually fairly common, and it is unlikely anyone else would have done better.  And at some point, if a GM gives money to an established player, or an elite player, and that player struggles, when does responsibility shift to the player?   When does a fan stop living in a hypothetical dream world, thinking that the other choice clearly would have succeeded here and there was no other option?  If you are one of those “can’t cut it in Boston” guys, where is the guarantee that, say, Matt Holliday would have survived here?  Was it because of his ability to thrive in the intense scrutiny of the Denver Media?  If Holliday was here hitting .240, how many would be crying “we should have waited for Crawford!”? His best successes have been the scrap heap free agents, such as Ortiz and Aceves.  These are the tougher guys to get.  Names like Crawford or Lackey have maybe half a dozen potential suitors.  Exactly how many teams was Ortiz out of the price range for when Minnesota released him?  And how did Epstein even convince this guy to come to Boston, given the DH/1B glut he had at the time? There were no other teams in MLB that could guarantee more playing time?  I don’t think many fans realize how much of a major coup this deal was, and prefer to write it off as a “no brainer” because the only other option is to give actual credit.  The raelity, the going after players like Lackey and CRawford are the "no brainer" deals.  Ortiz was anything but. Epstein’s true weakness has been in trades.   He has certainly had successes there (Schilling, Gonzalez, Renteria for Crisp, etc.), but some of his trades have simply been boneheaded from the concept stage – like Arroyo for Pena or Meredith/Bard for Mirabelli. Anyone who thinks this team somehow should have won more titles since 2003 is using a tunnel vision approach.  There has been no season in Epstein’s regime where the Yankees alone were pushovers, let alone the rest of MLB (you know, those other 28 teams his critics refuse to acknowledge).  Money is a convenient excuse, but for some reason critics only compare to past Sox payrolls, and not the overall escalatin of MLB salaries.  (Duquette had the highest payroll in MLB more often than Epstein, and never won anything.) The real crowner is the people who have anointed Lucchino as the brains, not Epstein.  Really?  I bet if you asked Lucchino – who has a far greater track record for failing than Epstein does – what his best move was, he would mention bring Epstein over from San Diego and appointing him the GM.  So, if you want Epstein gone, guess who hires his replacement?  And guess what kind of guy he is going to look for to replace him? I almost hope Epstein goes, just so we can see the critics defend their replacement for him once the team tanks.  And it will be interesting how long into the new GMs tenure before he gets full credit.  If he wins in 2012, will any of Epstein’s critics say “Yeah, but he did it with Epstein’s guys”?  Or does that door shut immediately THIS time?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Brilliant post - wasted on the likes of those who'll never "get it".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Yes. And it wasn't that she didn't want alot of kids running around, she, apparently didn't want any kids. Is that fair to him? He made the choice of an intimate relationship, for better but not worse;) That isn't what love is. Love isn't a romance novel or Hollywood celebrity couple. It's as fake as Phil Spector buying kids. I didn't say you were in the frustrated and bored "women", but perhaps the shoe fits. It's a familiar cry of modern self inulgence American culture. Let us hope that American youth doesn't copy Hollywood entertainment image values.

For better or worse, IMO, covers sickness or illness, maybe financial loss or things more on that level. And, btw, I would never support anyone leaving someone for those reasons. Should they have decided about children before they got married? Of course. But I find it impossible to believe, since he was a guy who constantly talked about nothing else but having children, that it would suddenly be news to her after she got married. Apparently, she just kept putting it off. That's completely misrepresenting yourself, and, again, not fair to the other person.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Think you might be taking me a bit too literal, Kim?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Lloyd. You're a good guy who just happened to walk into one of my pet peeves. No disrespect intended. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Yep lets keep the Aniston/Jolie/Theo sucks thread going.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

LOL. Oops. I just did. My bad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : ...ok ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space, you're a hedonist. It's time to face the facts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Brilliant post - wasted on the likes of those who'll never "get it".
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

As GM, Duquette did build much of the 2004 team, some of the 2007 team (and even some of today's team); these are facts. Doesn't make him better than Theo, but facts are facts, and they form the basis from which to present arguements. I've never understood this "you're either with Theo or against Theo" attitude by so many fans. I think Theo is a better GM than Duquette, but to deny Duquette's many critcal contributions/achievements is to deny reality. I'm a fan of reality based argumentation.

Via Free Agency

1995: Tim Wakefield

2001: Manny Ramirez

2002: Johnny Damon

Via Trades

1997: Heathcliff Slocum for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe

1998: Carl Pavano and Tony Armas Jr. for Pedro Martinez

2001: Justin Duscherer for Doug Mirabelli

Via Draft

2001: Kevin Youkilis

2002: Jon Lester

He also drafted Nomar (glad Theo booted him) and Hanley Ramirez (glad he was traded for Beckett and Lowell). Duquette let Clemens (steroids) and Mo Vaugh (no steroids) leave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Wow! Dumbest entitlemest post of the year!!! Epstein's major problem is whiny fans with tunnel vision who cannot accept only winning two World Series titles in a 7 year period.  Let me tell you how to handle this Yazzer.  Baseball is clearly not for you.  You need to switch your allegiance to UConn's women's basketball.  It is the only team in all of New England capable of the perfection you demand.  . To me, this Theo Hate makes zero sense. This certainly is a great team.  They have won more titles than any team since he took over.  Who are all these other great GMs that he can easily be replaced with?  Since his critics are obsessed with free agent track record as a worthwhile reason for removing him ,who does better?  Specific names only, please.  So I can remind those who don’t pay attention to other teams just how common this is. In fact, Epstein’s free agent track record is only bad with the large money deals, and even in those he is actually fairly typical.  Even as a Drew supporter, it’s hard to call him a good deal.  He was simply nowhere near as bad as his critics obsess him to be.  Lackey has actually been reasonable – 1 year to career norms, 1 subpar with personal issues.  Crawford has only been here less than 1 year in, over half of which has been to his career norms.  Clement was an All Star his first season in Boston, but worthless after that.  Renteria hit as well as the guy he replaced, and actually fielded about the same for one season.  Daisuke was mildly successful, but overall not a good deal.  I know I would have made it, given the chance, however.  Lugo was a bust.  His free agent track record is actually fairly common, and it is unlikely anyone else would have done better.  And at some point, if a GM gives money to an established player, or an elite player, and that player struggles, when does responsibility shift to the player?   When does a fan stop living in a hypothetical dream world, thinking that the other choice clearly would have succeeded here and there was no other option?  If you are one of those “can’t cut it in Boston” guys, where is the guarantee that, say, Matt Holliday would have survived here?  Was it because of his ability to thrive in the intense scrutiny of the Denver Media?  If Holliday was here hitting .240, how many would be crying “we should have waited for Crawford!”? His best successes have been the scrap heap free agents, such as Ortiz and Aceves.  These are the tougher guys to get.  Names like Crawford or Lackey have maybe half a dozen potential suitors.  Exactly how many teams was Ortiz out of the price range for when Minnesota released him?  And how did Epstein even convince this guy to come to Boston, given the DH/1B glut he had at the time? There were no other teams in MLB that could guarantee more playing time?  I don’t think many fans realize how much of a major coup this deal was, and prefer to write it off as a “no brainer” because the only other option is to give actual credit.  The raelity, the going after players like Lackey and CRawford are the "no brainer" deals.  Ortiz was anything but. Epstein’s true weakness has been in trades.   He has certainly had successes there (Schilling, Gonzalez, Renteria for Crisp, etc.), but some of his trades have simply been boneheaded from the concept stage – like Arroyo for Pena or Meredith/Bard for Mirabelli. Anyone who thinks this team somehow should have won more titles since 2003 is using a tunnel vision approach.  There has been no season in Epstein’s regime where the Yankees alone were pushovers, let alone the rest of MLB (you know, those other 28 teams his critics refuse to acknowledge).  Money is a convenient excuse, but for some reason critics only compare to past Sox payrolls, and not the overall escalatin of MLB salaries.  (Duquette had the highest payroll in MLB more often than Epstein, and never won anything.) The real crowner is the people who have anointed Lucchino as the brains, not Epstein.  Really?  I bet if you asked Lucchino – who has a far greater track record for failing than Epstein does – what his best move was, he would mention bring Epstein over from San Diego and appointing him the GM.  So, if you want Epstein gone, guess who hires his replacement?  And guess what kind of guy he is going to look for to replace him? I almost hope Epstein goes, just so we can see the critics defend their replacement for him once the team tanks.  And it will be interesting how long into the new GMs tenure before he gets full credit.  If he wins in 2012, will any of Epstein’s critics say “Yeah, but he did it with Epstein’s guys”?  Or does that door shut immediately THIS time?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

your moniker says it all "KNOW NOTIN."
    you being a nancy drew supporter confirms that.
    btw, how do theo's boots taste?

i,too, hope epstein goes; on that we agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Great post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo haters may get their wish : Great post.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

it's not a post; it's a religious rant directed at theo, the almighty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

A Routine Day for Yazzer in the Office

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]A Routine Day for Yazzer in the Office
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

hey your-echole,

you're just jealous because you lost your job as a greeter at WAL-MART.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No GM who has Ellsbury, Reddick, Kalish and DMac and bids 142M for Carl Crawford is more than a complete idiot! InEpstein would put the wrong size tire on a Toyota Prius! A giant budget and benefited from Manny and one lucky pickup on Ortiz! Developing talent from draft is like giving a janitor a gold star everytime he mops a floor!

Theo is the king of career year FA busts! I have some swamp land to sell to his deep pockets!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]No GM who has Ellsbury, Reddick, Kalish and DMac and bids 142M for Carl Crawford is more than a complete idiot! InEpstein would put the wrong size tire on a Toyota Prius! A giant budget and benefited from Manny and one lucky pickup on Ortiz! Developing talent from draft is like giving a janitor a gold star everytime he mops a floor! Theo is the king of career year FA busts! I have some swamp land to sell to his deep pockets!

actually, it's john henry's deep pockets.
    and i do agree, the contract given to crawford does make theo king of idiotville.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

That Softy and Yazzer are on the same page makes me feel good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]That Softy and Yazzer are on the same page makes me feel good.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Heart-warming.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

that spaceman and lloyd are on the same page makes me bored and sleepy.
    if posts could be translated into elevator music, those two would be composers.
    btw, lloyd, the clash want their album cover back; you've been embarrassing it for far too long.

Sections
Shortcuts