Theo hypocrites!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Theo hypocrites!!!!

Why did Lowrie hit a weak fly ball in the key moment, with RISP? Why is he the UIF? Why is Iglesias the heir apparent to the starting SS job?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Why is Lowrie the UIF?

Mea culpa time?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Theo hypocrites!!!!:
    [QUOTE]carnie, Harness is an old click posting bully who is so delusional he thinks I'm some old poster named "softy". I'm sure Softy considered Wakefield a waste of a roster spot, and didn't buy the old Varitek magic fingers nonsense. "hate" is his comments on the Asian Red Sox players. I grew up in the 70's, so I'm sure this guy grew up during segration and the internment era. Times have changed, baseball is a world game, not just a game for good ole boys like Varitek and Wakefield.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]Actually, harness is a friend of mine, and he usually has some interesting thoughts about baseball, as well as great taste in music.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I think Theo is a good GM but with the budget he has to work with it is true he has a margin of error that allows him to endure more mistakes in a different way than a small market team could. 

I thought his best work was the midseason Nomar trade and such. He pressed all the right buttons. I worry if it made him a bit arrogant though about his own abilities. The way he has handled the shortstop position in particular with his man crush on offensive short stops has driven me nuts. 

I for one was not praising him to high heaven in the offseason because in many cases he simply spent well. In the one situation where some real serious negotation needed to happen (Victor Martinez), he drew an unnecessary line in the sand when he could have had Martinez for a little bit more. Call me crazy but I think Martinez' bat could have help this team and I felt that way at the time. 

Having said all that, because I was not crazy high on Theo and this team going into the season, I'm not crazy low now. I still think Theo is a good to very good GM but he's hardly beyond reproach. The fact is that the Beckett and Lackey signings are going to have a lot to say about Theo in this era. If both guys work out, he'll look VERY solid. If one guy works out (which seems more likely to me), he'll look very good. If both guys don't work out, even Theo will have trouble with the weight of those contracts. 

I say we wait till the end of the season to reassess this. Or at least until our playoff fates are determined.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Kalish could be trade bait if JC is what I think he is. Could even bring a decent starting pitcher to back up Lester/Beckett/Buch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I agree to a point, but there comes a time when you really can project what a team will do after a couple weeks. Some things are just that obvious. There is only one way out of this the way I see it. Something has to happen to shock this team into reality. I have no idea what that would be, but something has to happen within the next week or so. If what Beckett did Sunday didn't light a fire under this team, what CAN? See what I mean? As a general rule, patterns that are set early create the makeup for a season--UNLESS something dramatic happens to change it. A walk-off two run home run might have done it tonight, but that didn't happen, and now even if they win the next game they've lost this series. That goes a longer way than we'd like to admit. It could be that this team simply isn't as good as we thought it would be. Part of the reason the offense is struggling is that the nature of the peices is such that they don't fit together well. That's a problem! I'll be the first one to come onto this site and post that I was wrong, I'll enjoy every second of it, and I'll do it in bold letters!
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I don't think much can be projected after 1/16th of the season.
    Nor do I think the team needs any shock treatment.
    They are feeling their way into required levels of both intensity and ability.
    People often don't react under pressure the way they would otherwise. We've discussed this before.

I wouldn't judge this team yet. The numbers don't equate to their proven abilities.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I would make the will myers trade and throw doubront in. my new favourite will be Linares!

2010 A.L. OPS vs LHP   6th    1.025
    2008 A.L. OPS vs LHP   19th    .934

2008-2010 OPS vs LHP :
    Bay        .884
    Teix       .917
    Lowrie   .944
    Cabrera  .966
    Youk     1.067

OPS

Scut .480  JL  1.063

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I would make the will myers trade and throw doubront in. my new favorite will be Linares!
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]I love me some JC, that guy is going to be a monster outfielder. And he's right handed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Theo hypocrites!!!!:
    [QUOTE]If I see one more post about how Theo Epstien is the worst GM in baseball, has made terrible decisions, or that his "regime" is a failure, I'm very likely to do something unfortunate to myself or to someone dear to me. PLEASE! Most of you were singing his praises for Gonzolez, Crawford, Wheeler, Jenks in January, and now he's suddenly a failure? If the moves haven't worked out (which remains to be seen) it certainly isn't because they were obviously bad moves given the information that was in front of him in December. The players simply are not even doing what they NORMALLY do, let alone improved from last year. This team right now is LOUSY, there are no other ways to say it, and, unfortunately, enough bad has happened already to determine that this team will probably not win the World Series, 100 games, and is not all that likely to even make the playoffs. I'm truly sorry to say it, but it's just the way it is. I've just seen too much baseball for too long to believe this team is who I thought they would be two weeks ago. Losing tonight to the Rays, I believe a line was crossed that we may not be able to go back on--just like last year when they were swept at home in April by this same team. Right then you knew things were wrong with that team that were not easy fixes, and so it was. We will see about 2011. But be that as it may, STOP blaming Theo Epstien. True he's not perfect, but he's also not popping up with RISP, and just about every one of you were singing his praises in December for bringing in the same players you are griping about now. Make up your mind man, PICK A SIDE AND STICK WITH IT.  
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Your demands are too high.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I understand you have a childlike infatuation with Lowrie, and perhaps you see yourselves in that pipedream. Unlike Lowrie, Scutaro was able to deliver the big hit that helped win one of the games of the early season. Scutaro was a 2nd baseman who Theo foolishly brought in after a career year. But, he has a quicker release, quicker feet and more range that Lowrie. This roster was constructed such that Lowrie was trained to play 1st and be the UIF. That's his role. To change it requires making a roster move on Cameron or Mac. Lowrie has been given multiple chances to be the starting SS. One of the reasons why both Gonzo and Suctaro were signed was because Lowrie is like a pretzel. I don't think they ever saw him as a career starter SS, though, which is why the signed Iglesias. Offense wasn't an issue last year, and it won't be an issue by year end this year. This team needs good starting pitching and defense to succeed. Management should keep Lowrie in the UIF role and look to trade him for future team needs, either this summer or this winter. They may or may not do it that way, but I believe ESPN insider isn't going to get the quick role change you are dying to see. I know what management should do, and sometimes can read what they are going to do. I think the decision to make Lowrie the UIF and retain Scutaro is the writing on the wall for Lowrie's long term Red Sox future. They could have easily traded Scutaro and eaten the single digit last year they overpaid for, or simply put him in the UIF role. I don't think they are happy with the attitude and work ethic, stamina and conditioning of Lowrie, who has chafed over the UIF role decision. I think that Iglesias will be the future SS of the Red Sox.  Now, there is a very slim chance they trade Youk and put Lowrie at third, to cut payroll. That's slim, though, because Youk isn't exaclty making Crawford money and signed a team friendly contract. Youk is also home grown and has the overall hitting and defending talent to where it's not likely he's traded during his contract.  You might want to lobby another GM to express interest in Lowrie as an elite MLB SS of their future. If that team has a solid young starting pitcher, catcher or RH OF'er, I'm quite certain that Theo would have Lowrie on the first taxi to Logan Airport.   
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]What's wrong with Lowrie as the UIF? He can play all 4 infield positions adequately and he can really hit. He's cheap and under team control for another 4 years I think. Why trade him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I understand you have a childlike infatuation with Lowrie, and perhaps you see yourselves in that pipedream. Unlike Lowrie, Scutaro was able to deliver the big hit that helped win one of the games of the early season. Scutaro was a 2nd baseman who Theo foolishly brought in after a career year. But, he has a quicker release, quicker feet and more range that Lowrie. This roster was constructed such that Lowrie was trained to play 1st and be the UIF. That's his role. To change it requires making a roster move on Cameron or Mac.

Lowrie has been given multiple chances to be the starting SS. One of the reasons why both Gonzo and Suctaro were signed was because Lowrie is like a pretzel. I don't think they ever saw him as a career starter SS, though, which is why the signed Iglesias.

Offense wasn't an issue last year, and it won't be an issue by year end this year. This team needs good starting pitching and defense to succeed. Management should keep Lowrie in the UIF role and look to trade him for future team needs, either this summer or this winter. They may or may not do it that way, but I believe ESPN insider isn't going to get the quick role change you are dying to see. I know what management should do, and sometimes can read what they are going to do. I think the decision to make Lowrie the UIF and retain Scutaro is the writing on the wall for Lowrie's long term Red Sox future. They could have easily traded Scutaro and eaten the single digit last year they overpaid for, or simply put him in the UIF role. I don't think they are happy with the attitude and work ethic, stamina and conditioning of Lowrie, who has chafed over the UIF role decision. I think that Iglesias will be the future SS of the Red Sox. 

Now, there is a very slim chance they trade Youk and put Lowrie at third, to cut payroll. That's slim, though, because Youk isn't exaclty making Crawford money and signed a team friendly contract. Youk is also home grown and has the overall hitting and defending talent to where it's not likely he's traded during his contract. 

You might want to lobby another GM to express interest in Lowrie as an elite MLB SS of their future. If that team has a solid young starting pitcher, catcher or RH OF'er, I'm quite certain that Theo would have Lowrie on the first taxi to Logan Airport.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Theo hypocrites!!!! : Your demands are too high.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately, on this site you're probably right!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

IMO. The problem with that Carnie is that to get a good chip back Linares and / or Kalish will have to prove themselves in MLB.  Even if they tear it up in AAA a starting pitcher is worth loads.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Did somebody just post trade Lowrie, our teams best hitter for avg this year. Yup, must be theo epstein on the boards this morning

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i cant believe some of the stuff i read here. i wonder if some of them have ever watched a full season of baseball. someone started a thread, even tho the seasons OVER..... after 11 games. it was a well pitched, well played game. if the record was different, it wouldnt such be a big deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]GMs in all sports are judged on what players do after the deals... fair or not. It's the nature of the business. They know it. Should a good Gm be able to project who buckles under pressure? Hard to say if it's all just luck.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That may be true, sometimes that shows up in a guy's character, sometimes not. But my point in this thread is that the same people who were worshipping him as The Almighty in December are on Yawkee way with ropes and torches at this very moment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Carnie, there isn't anything wrong with Lowrie as the UIF. Tom-UK is deeply upset that he isn't the starting SS. His opinion is that Lowrie is already an elite MLB SS. Management made the decision that he was the best guy to be the UIF. He's angry about that, to the point of saying that Scutaro no longer has the arm strength to play everday SS. Lowrie's slow release and arm strength is quite weak, but he simply sees this small sample v. LHP split and thinks that makes him one of the best hitters in baseball. Obviously, that's delusional.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The team had serious starting pitching issues from last season. Despite losing key players to injury, the team was still one of the top run scoring teams in the AL. So, what does Theo do? He goes out and blows the farm on Carl Crawford, putting him in tiny LF and having hit LH in a lefty heavy roster in a park that isn't exaclty well suited for Carl Crawford's slap stroke.

I'm not going to go through the mistakes Theo has made, as they are too many. He has a massive budget and does nothing more than a marginal GM job. That's putting it kindly. This team will likely turn it around and end up as a contender. But if they don't, Theo should be the first guy shown the door.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Right on Carnie! I like your positive contributions to this board. I jumped on your JC bandwagon in Spring I hope you and I are right.  Linares/Kalish RF 2012 -2016

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Yeah.. you got a point. actually you kind of said opposites there.
     If the moves haven't worked out (which remains to be seen)
    Think about it, if whether the moves worked out remains to be seen how can you even say in the same paragraph that we are out if it and that you can tell how its going to go after a couple weeks... Your right we were able to tell that we wouldn't make the playoffs last year because after a couple weeks we already knew what was going to happen... NEWS FLASH! if you dont remember we were coming back until the devastating injuries to Pedey and Youk! Look at the line up again. Crawford, Dustin, Agon, Youk look at that and just keep looking because if you are telling me we can't make the play offs this year and our offense is going to continue to do bad you obviously aren't looking hard enough... Look at Youks stats, do you not believe they will get better? For all we know the injury from last year has effected youks mechanics he might need to figure that out but i still know we can be good.
    Career stats
    Carl- .295 avg 593 RBI's 763 Runs
    Pedey- .306 avg 258 rbis 383 runs
    Agon- .284 avg 532 rbis 493 rbis
    Youk- .293 avg 472 rbis 505 Runs

Remember that Carl and Agon weren't always on good teams.... And that Youk used to hit second and pedey used to hit first. So altogether looking at those stats you still dont think they will hit?

Yeah your right i dont think they will hit... Im just going to give up now i guess the Orioles, Indians, white sox, rangers, phillies, reds, rockies, and dodgers should just take out there starters so they dont get  hurt for the playoffs since they all have already made it and everything...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I VIGOROUSLY DISAGREE WITH YOUR DEFENSE OF EPSTEIN.
    HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP RANKED
    ABOVE THE MANAGER. YOU HAVE DREW ON YOUR SQUAD
    WHO SITS AGAINST LEFTIES. YOU HAVE ELLSBURY WHO JUST
    CANNOT CUT IT. YOU HAVE A COLOSSAL FAILURE IN SALTY,
    WHO SHOULD BE IN TRIPLE A. HE BOUGHT LACKEY, WHO HAS
    A RAG ARM. HE PAID HIM $65 TO 70 MILLION. LACKEY IS LUCKY
    TO GO 5 INNINGS, AND WHEN HE DOES HE PUTS THE TEAM IN
    THE TOILET. HE BOUGHT CAMERON FOR NEARLY $10 MILLION.
    CAMERON IS OVER THE HILL AND CAN'T HIT A LICK. SCUTARO
    IS OVER THE HILL. DICE K IS A FAILURE. IF WE WERE A TEAM
    LIKE KC, WITH A LOW PAYROLL, 2-9 WOULD NOT CAUSE A
    MAJOR STIR. BUT THIS IS A TEAM WITH A PAYROLL IN THE
    STRATOSPHERE, AND THE PARTS JUST ARE NOT OF GOOD
    QUALITY. ONLY A GON AND DUSTIN, ARE WORTH THEIR
    WEIGHT, AND MAYBE PAPI. I ALSO LIKE LOWRIE'S BAT.
    THE REST OF THE HITTERS ARE GOD-AWFUL. THE SAD THING
    IS THAT WE ARE PRETTY MUCH STUCK WITH THIS BUNCH OF
    SAD SACKS. IT JUST SHOWS YOU HOW SMART CASHMAN IS
    COMPARED TO EPSTEIN. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT THE
    ACQUISITION OF CRAWFORD AND A GON WAS NOT GOOD, BUT
    DEEP DOWN, THERE WAS NOTHING UNDERNEATH TO ADD THEM
    TO. THE SOFT UNDERBELLY OF THE TEAM....THE DREWS,
    SCUTAROS, ELLSBURYS, SALTYS, VARITEKS, JUST DRAG THE
    TEAM DOWN AN DOWN LIKE AN ANCHOR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

carnie, Harness is an old click posting bully who is so delusional he thinks I'm some old poster named "softy". I'm sure Softy considered Wakefield a waste of a roster spot, and didn't buy the old Varitek magic fingers nonsense.

"hate" is his comments on the Asian Red Sox players. I grew up in the 70's, so I'm sure this guy grew up during segration and the internment era. Times have changed, baseball is a world game, not just a game for good ole boys like Varitek and Wakefield.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

GMs in all sports are judged on what players do after the deals...
    fair or not.

It's the nature of the business. They know it.

Should a good Gm be able to project who buckles under pressure?

Hard to say if it's all just luck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]IMO. The problem with that Carnie is that to get a good chip back Linares and / or Kalish will have to prove themselves in MLB.  Even if they tear it up in AAA a starting pitcher is worth loads.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]That's a good point. Although the RS were able to land Gonzo without giving up any proven major league talent. Ranaudo, also, is a guy to watch. He could be in Portland before the year is out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]carnie, Harness is an old click posting bully who is so delusional he thinks I'm some old poster named "softy". I'm sure Softy considered Wakefiel a waste of a roster spot, and didn't buy the old Varitek magic fingers nonsense. "hate" is his comments on the Asian Red Sox players. I grew up in the 70's, so I'm sure this guy grew up during segration and the internment era. Times have changed, baseball is a world game, not just a game for good ole boys like Varitek and Wakefield.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Why, how would you know what Softy would consider?
    You said you didn't know him (freudian slip:)

That's the thing about lies - ya have to remember each and every one of them.