Theo left us w/ a mess but here's a potential fix

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Theo left us w/ a mess but here's a potential fix

Why would Coco Crisp sign to be a 4th outfielder when he can get a starting job elsewhere?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Where did Aviles go?

Not sure I'd give up on Crawford just yet, but I see your point on this.

Stay away from Scott Kazmir.  A waste of money.  He is never going to fulfill his potential.

Do not think you have enough depth at starter or in the pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

So andrew,

First, you actually want to trade for a guy heading out of his prime with one of the worst contracts in baseball (Wells) while giving up a player in his prime years like Crawford? You might think that Crawford's contract is a bad one, but you are too quick to dump him for a slug like Vernon Wells.

Secondly, Scott Kazmir? You want to sign Scott Kazmir?? This guy began fading the day before he left Tampa and you want to sign him to a $4,000,000 minor league deal?? Say what?

Third, Mike Aviles does not even make the team? Holy Moly!

Me thinks you should take these brilliant ideas and propose them to your favorite team in NY. Because if the Sox did any of this junk it would definitely help out the Yankees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Theo left us w/ a mess but here's a potential fix":
    So andrew, First, you actually want to trade for a guy heading out of his prime with one of the worst contracts in baseball (Wells) while giving up a player in his prime years like Crawford? You might think that Crawford's contract is a bad one, but you are too quick to dump him for a slug like Vernon Wells. Secondly, Scott Kazmir? You want to sign Scott Kazmir?? This guy began fading the day before he left Tampa and you want to sign him to a $4,000,000 minor league deal?? Say what? Third, Mike Aviles does not even make the team? Holy Moly! Me thinks you should take these brilliant ideas and propose them to your favorite team in NY. Because if the Sox did any of this junk it would definitely help out the Yankees. Posted by Soxdog67
    Crawford is going to replace Drew as his new binky for the next few years...get used to it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I am so sorry for Andrew that Drew has left. Am also sorry for Law that Theo is gone. Sorry for Softlaw that Jake has excelled. Sorry for Bosox1941 that Tito is gone. It is going to be a slow year on the Forum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Theo left us w/ a mess but here's a potential fix:
    I am so sorry for Andrew that Drew has left. Am also sorry for Law that Theo is gone. Sorry for Softlaw that Jake has excelled. Sorry for Bosox1941 that Tito is gone. It is going to be a slow year on the Forum.
    Posted by UticaClub

Speaking of Law...I always thought he was Dan Duquette when he posted here...especially the way he hated Theo (his successor) and licked Manny's jock (his big signing).  The fact that he has disappeared makes me even more convinced now since Danny D has a new gig.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I still don't understand why everyone is trying to get rid of CC for a bag of balls. Was he overpayed? Hell yes! But they all are. It doesn't mean you have to crucify the guy for it. CC will go out and produce like he did in Tampa...just like JD went out and got overpayed for doing the same things he had his entire career. As long as CC goes out and plays his type of ball instead of trying to live up to the contract, then he will be the guy he was in Tampa...and I think we should all be very happy with that.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Drew's contract was bad from the beginning though. There was no reason he should have been payed so much. But other than that he did what he always had...played solid defense...got on base pretty well and sat out entirely too many games due to "injury". If he had been getting paayed what Coco was for instance, I doubt people would have hated him quite so much. I just really hope that's not the road we go down with CC. He's not going to be an Albert Pujols...he's not going to come in as relief and throw a 98mph heater...he's going to be Carl Crawford and will be getting paid too much. I just hope we don't let the contract effect our expectations and base them on his past performance instead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Crawford had a bad year.  But he is a stud, and has the potential to be a star in Boston.   He isn't going anywhere.  He will play better under BobbyV ....

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Crawford had a bad year, and holds one of the richest contracts in sports history; yet he refuses to communicate directly with our new manager.

I don't like Carl already.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

My money is against him.  Just as it was against Drew.  Drew's contract was proven to be a bad one.  All we can do is see how the CC saga plays out. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

Point is andrew....we're not playing with YOUR money here.

Trading for 33 year old Vernon Wells is a bad, bad idea..PERIOD! Aren't we trying to make this team younger, not older.

If Kazmir is willing to sign a minor league deal with a two way contract I'm ok with that...but no way the team will absorb 3-4 million more on the major league payroll for a guy whose career has been flickering....I don't know the reasons for this but he is not the same dominate pitcher he showed with the Rays a couple of years ago.

I highly doubt Coco Crisp would settle for a 4th OF position..plus the Sox need a player in RF that has some pop...the OF is full of Coco Crisp types now.  My guess is that a Andruw Jones, Ryan Ludwick, Cody Ross or less likely Yoenis Cespedes will be a piece of the OF puzzle in 2012.

Drew was never worth his contract, and it is likely that Crawford will never meet the expectation of most fans to match the size of his contract...but I say the Sox FO made the decision...which our new GM advocated for, and we just let the guy go play and forget the contract!

I can't believe a player would lose his ability to play just because he signed for a big payday, unless he has decided to relax and milk it like Clemens with his last Sox contract.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

gotta say Vernon Wells is not an option...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Drew was never worth his contract, and it is likely that Crawford will never meet the expectation of most fans to match the size of his contract...but I say the Sox FO made the decision...which our new GM advocated for, and we just let the guy go play and forget the contract! I can't believe a player would lose his ability to play just because he signed for a big payday, unless he has decided to relax and milk it like Clemens with his last Sox contract.
    Posted by Soxdog67

Exactly...but a player could be a detriment to his own game if he tries to be more than he is in an attempt to live up to that contract. I'd be willing to bet it's more of that than a Clemens situation

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Andrew

I'm not down with your moves for a variety of reasons.

1. Starting Pitching.  Much more expensive then bullpen arms.  Why not let Bard and Aceves battle our for the 4th-5th spots with a guy like Saunders.
    2. Bullpen is much easier to fill the gaps and is far less expensive. We could add three guys for 4 million to the bullpen.  BP is a complete roll of the dice.
    3. Crawford had one sub-par year in a pressure packed city.  Granderson also did this and is my best comparison.  CC will rebound nicely if used properly in the order.  I still say let him bat 2nd and have Pedey bat 3rd. 
    Jacoby/CC/Pedroia/AGon/Youk/Papi/Salty/Scutaro/RF

I would do the following.
    1. Madsen 3 yrs 30 million take it or leave it offer. 4th year option.  All of a sudden our BP goes from major concern to pretty darn solid when either Bard or Aceves enters the mix(likely Aceves).
    2. Cody Ross 2 yrs 15 million.  
    3. Joe Saunders 2 yrs 10 million.

Thats about 22 million give or take.   What more does the front office have to do at that point.  I think Aviles has some trade value.  Punto was brought in for a reason.   Unless they have Punto/Aviles/Shop/Reddick(Or Kalish on the bench).

I would feel more than comfortable with:

SP
    Lester/Beckett/Clay/Saunders/Bard with Doubrount/Miller as potential fill ins.  I also know Dice K coming back doesnt warm anyones heart.  But it sure is like adding a 5th starter down the stretch for me.  I think he will perform b/c he wants $$$$.  Perfect time of the year as well.  
    BP
    Madsen/Melacon/Aceves/Jenks/Morales/Albers/Open

SL
    read above

Bench
    Punto/Ross/Shop/Aviles

Its not perfect but it has potential. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Wells is awful, worser than Crawford. Crawford only has one bad year. Wells is done. The money both are getting are about twice their value.

What about Werth for Crawford? I want no part of Wells.

Sections
Shortcuts