Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona

From Boston.com:

NEW YORK — Given his close relationship to the Red Sox and Theo Epstein, it's news when Hall of Fame baseball reporter Peter Gammons says on a national radio now, "I've sensed an increasing disconnect between Theo Epstein and Terry Francona."

Gammons then pointed out the apparent lack of repercussions for John Lackey staring down Francona on Monday when he was taken out of the game and Francona leaving Josh Beckett in to pitch the eighth inning on Wednesday.

But Epstein refuted the idea of a schism.

"There's no disconnect," Epstein wrote in an e-mail this afternoon. "We've had each other's support and admiration for eight years and that doesn't change because the team has had a very difficult month so far."

It's worth noting that Epstein is usually in Francona's office before and after every game and that was the case throughout the recent homestand.

Francona is in the final year of his contract. The team hold a two-year option on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona

first of all, I heard the replay of Gammons comments last night and  couldn't  understand exactly what his point was, or how he connected the disconnect  between Francona and Epstein because of Lackey. If Francona had a problem with Lackeys reaction, he should demand the players respect and take issue with it Secondly, WTH would he even say it??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

There is always a "rift" that occurs between manager and management, players and managers, players and players, and they always seem to occur when a team is struggling, or under the spotlight. Why is that? ummmmmmmmmmmm, let me see. Can you say generating fodder for the fan masses so that they, the media, can say we are at the pulse of Sox Nation? Exactly. Gammons and even Shaughnessy in his very funny poke at the Sox struggles are calling out the Sox. Rumors generated through a "Sox executive said" usually coincides with the Sox PR machine "letting" things out to show that the Sox managements "cares" for the fans and understands the fans being upset with the lack of wins over the last month. If you think Francona's job is in danger, then either one of two things is happening--Theo is planning on jumping ship to Chicago, or the owners are the ones who are unhappy with Tito. Theo and Tito are sympatico--joined at the hip.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Fans and media are all trying to play detective and find a reason for the team's struggles.

It's almost like if someone sees something that "could" be wrong or something that "I THINK" is wrong it will explain it all away and the team will turn it around and we can all live happily ever after.

It does not work this way, shouting and pointing has never solved any crisis, never solved any mystery and acts only to point up the ignorance of the viewers who all believe that Murphy's Law does not apply in baseball , that life is fair and that the "good guys" always win in the end.

It does, it isnt and they sometimes don't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It isn't the first time this year that Gammons has been way off in a take on the RS. Like his April take that Ellsbury had to cut down his swing and do more slap hitting being pretty notable.

If the slide continues uninteruppted there will be changes on the Boston Red Sox broader than the normal year-to-year stuff that always happens in this era.

But this group has always shown themselves to be quite deliberate in their moves, unlike most of the media and fans in the market. Heck, when Henry was in a fit of "blue rage" over Little's having left Pedro in Game 7 ALCS in 2003 too long, it took the RS two weeks to decide not to pick up Little's option.

Now whether those changes make Epstein move on, either by the RS choice or his is yet to be seen. Whether they decide not to pick up Francona's option is yet to be seen. Whether the medical staff, training staff, 3B coach, pitching coach or others are in jeopardy is yet to be seen. But some things will change.

In the end I don't know you can blame Epstein for how things turned out and I personally only pity Tito that he ended up with this rotation for so much of the season.

BTW IMHO everybody over reads Lackey and his emotional faces. So many read Lackey's glare as directed at others, I read it as frustration with the game and his performance within it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona:
    [QUOTE]first of all, I heard the replay of Gammons comments last night and  couldn't  understand exactly what his point was, or how he connected the disconnect  between Francona and Epstein because of Lackey. Secondly, WTH would he even say it??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I guess his point was theo didn't stand up to lackey for terry

then again JD probably had something to do with it too

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I've never been upset with Lackey faces or expressions or his attitude. It's his performance, and that's what I take issue with. He was absolutely putrid in maybe his biggest start of the season v. Baltimore. Absolutely pathetic. People who read into the other stuff are grasping for reasons to hate him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Also, I really respect, and enjoy a lot of Gammons work over the years, but let's be real. He's getting on in age, and he's not at the pulse of the clubhouse like was in the late 1990s and early 2000s.....He also plays favorites, he loves Manny (as do I despite the off-field struggles) and he has a tendency to "fish." He often says things lately that are speculative at best, and wrong often.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona : I guess his point was theo didn't stand up to lackey for terry then again JD probably had something to do with it too
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

that's how i took it also Zac, but why should the GM have to stand up for the manager in a situation like this? If Francona demands the respect of the players, he needs to stand up to them himself. Theo shouldn't be the one to reprimand the players unless it involves something outside the relm of managing or someone else in the organization

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

BTW IMHO everybody over reads Lackey and his emotional faces. So many read Lackey's glare as directed at others, I read it as frustration with the game and his performance within it.

I agree 5katz

the key 4me is

that he makes the same faces when he the one who screws up

that said

as a mfyfan

it sure is a lot of fun to watch his little faces

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

theo and terry are connected at the hip; so if you get rid of one, you have to get rid of both.

yippee!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Regardless of playoff outcome, Epstein should be canned. Crawford made zero sense on current roster and long term parts, even at career averages. Lackey was a player I overvalued at 30M, and did not want a FA contract offer any larger.

Tito option for 2 years should not be picked up, even if playoffs go well. Varitek and Wakefield need to go. 

Thad Levine GM
    Ozzie Smith Manager 2 year team option year 3 (break color barrier)
    Fire the paint by numbers bean counters and provide numbers but allow manager and gm to make decisions independent of bean counters

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless of playoff outcome, Epstein should be canned. Crawford made zero sense on current roster and long term parts, even at career averages. Lackey was a player I overvalued at 30M, and did not want a FA contract offer any larger. Tito option for 2 years should not be picked up, even if playoffs go well. Varitek and Wakefield need to go.  Thad Levine GM Ozzie Smith Manager 2 year team option year 3 (break color barrier) Fire the paint by numbers bean counters and provide numbers but allow manager and gm to make decisions independent of bean counters
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

i like that idea; it sure would shake up the ghost of tom yawkey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona:
    [QUOTE]From Boston.com: NEW YORK — Given his close relationship to the Red Sox and Theo Epstein, it's news when Hall of Fame baseball reporter Peter Gammons says on a national radio now, "I've sensed an increasing disconnect between Theo Epstein and Terry Francona." Gammons then pointed out the apparent lack of repercussions for John Lackey staring down Francona on Monday when he was taken out of the game and Francona leaving Josh Beckett in to pitch the eighth inning on Wednesday. But Epstein refuted the idea of a schism. "There's no disconnect," Epstein wrote in an e-mail this afternoon. "We've had each other's support and admiration for eight years and that doesn't change because the team has had a very difficult month so far." It's worth noting that Epstein is usually in Francona's office before and after every game and that was the case throughout the recent homestand. Francona is in the final year of his contract. The team hold a two-year option on him.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Francona has the right to remove a pitcher, speak his mind or discipline a player if he feels its appropriate.  Unfortunately Francona doesn't like confrontation but it does appear Lackey has a lot of emotion that should be discussed a bit after the season.

Theo and Tito should sit John down with his stats and simply ask him how he felt the season went.
      If he makes excuses about teammates and Tito rather than owning up to his failures, find some way without losing your shirt to get him on the next plane out of Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Theo: No disconnect between me and Francona : Francona has the right to remove a pitcher, speak his mind or discipline a player if he feels its appropriate.  Unfortunately Francona doesn't like confrontation but it does appear Lackey has a lot of emotion that should be discussed a bit after the season. Theo and Tito should sit John down with his stats and simply ask him how he felt the season went.   If he makes excuses about teammates and Tito rather than owning up to his failures, find some way without losing your shirt to get him on the next plane out of Boston.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

why is it that a lot of posters on this board dislike slackey and give theo a pass.
    every behavioral fault slackey has exhibited with the SOX, he did the same with the ANGELS. his pitching stats against the AL east were dismal when he was with the ANGELS.
    THEO should have known this, but chose to ignore it.
    no, i don't like SLACKEY, but i dislike DUMBTHEO  a whole lot more.
    i'm too pizzed to get into the CRAWFUL signing at this time.

Sections
Shortcuts