Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/

"The Red Sox initially asked for Cubs starting pitcher Matt Garza, and at one point proposed the Cubs take pitcher John Lackey's contract as part of the compensation, according to a major league source. Lackey has three seasons remaining on a five-year, $82.5 million contract. He was 12-12 with a 6.41 ERA in 28 starts for the Red Sox in 2011.

But the expected agreement will include Cubs minor leaguers, although not top prospects Brett Jackson, Trey McNutt and Matt Szczur, the source said. Cash will not be part of the compensation."

Looks like for prospects only.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Epstien-to-Cubs-Deal-Close-Sources-Say-132239233.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Wait wait wait....no Garza/Castro? Ok, fine that might be a bit too rich. They're not taking Lackey? Ok fine, I wouldn't want him either. We aren't getting any of their top prospects? Huh? Way to take a stand Lucchino. Might as well just let him go for nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

TT, the Cubs have a weak farm system. McNutt is their top pitching prospect.

Comcast Sports reported this morning the Red Sox have asked MLB for permission to announce the deal, which is prohibited during the World Series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Everything I've read makes it sound like Jackson, McNutt, and Szcrzrczrzc are three of the only Cubs prospects even worth having, so if this is accurate, it makes you wonder just what we WOULD be getting...

Part of me would rather pay Theo to sit out the season on principle rather than just trading him for junk, but then again, maybe it'll be better to get past all this and move on with the offseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN:
    Wait wait wait....no Garza/Castro? Ok, fine that might be a bit too rich. They're not taking Lackey? Ok fine, I wouldn't want him either. We aren't getting any of their top prospects? Huh? Way to take a stand Lucchino. Might as well just let him go for nothing.
    Posted by TitleTown11

My guess is that Lucchino is doing his best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Everything I've read makes it sound like Jackson, McNutt, and Szcrzrczrzc are three of the only Cubs prospects even worth having, so if this is accurate, it makes you wonder just what we WOULD be getting... Part of me would rather pay Theo to sit out the season on principle rather than just trading him for junk, but then again, maybe it'll be better to get past all this and move on with the offseason.
    Posted by Flapjack07

Truer word have never been spoken. It is time to move on and settling the Epstein issue is job one...Whomever or whatever we get is really irrelevent in the big pitcure...unless it's Garza or Castro, which ain't happening...

As I've stated on numerous threads, we'll extract maximum value whatever that means and then go about the buisness of retooling the club for 2012 and beyond...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

McNutt won't be a top 10 prospect in Sox organization. Sox should have held out for Jackson at minimum.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In Response to Re: Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN : My guess is that Lucchino is doing his best.
    Posted by UticaClub

IF they dont get anything worth it back in return then his best isnt good enought. But then again hes no theo....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

At least Jackson is a near MLB ready player that could have been a safety valve for our OF in Reddick/Kalish don't pan out (or if one/both are traded) or if Ellsbury leaves in FA in 2 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I'll spend my remaining days running idiots like un from the forum.... your a loser... I'll stand alone to do it.... no worries.
    Posted by BurritoT

Personally i thought Edith was way more of a sox fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

hope they are all pitching prospects!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

I'll spend my remaining days running idiots like un from the forum.... your a loser... I'll stand alone to do it.... no worries.
    Posted by BurritoT

It seems like every thread I read has you two bickering. Why don't you email each other so that people dont have to sift through 30 meaningless entries?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The Cubs farm strength is in the lower levels (like the Red Sox). The highest rated prospect we get will be a limited player if they come from the higher levels. The players with star potential in such a deal isn't likely headlining it and will be from A ball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Instead of cash, why don't they deal Jenks and his $6M to the Cubs and save some cap space?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN : Personally i thought Edith was way more of a sox fan.
    Posted by RSF4Life234

Agreed. EdithBunker might start 1-2 threads per day... he took responsibility as a forum member.  2004Idiots is a plagiarizing scourge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe StaffOctober 20, 2011 12:06 PM

Both GM-to-be Ben Cherington and owner John Henry have responded that reports of the Theo Epstein to Cubs compensation deal being close to being done are premature.

When asked if the deal was close, Henry texted, "No, not close."

Cherington also indicated that the reports were premature. At some point the reports - and the optimism must be coming from Chicago - will likely be accurate as the sides appear to be working all out to make something happen.

There's also no evidence that the Red Sox have asked Major League Baseball to waive its blackout rule of no major announcements for the offday (tomorrow), only because no deal has yet been consumated, at least according to two major Red Sox officials would know.

The Sox want Cubs top pitching prospect Trey McNutt, but may consider righty Chris Carpenter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This all seems to me like a non-story - unless they can't come to an agreement.  And then what?  The Cubs want Theo.  Theo wants to go to the Cubs. JH is willing to let him go to the Cubs.  If they can't come to an agreement on compensation, does Theo stay here?  How awkward would THAT be??

It appears to me that the Cubs are holding all the cards here in that this has now gone so far that there's no turning back.  Theo is going to the Cubs.  The Cubs aren't willing to give up anyone we want in exchange, and we don't want anyone they have to offer.

My guess is that the Sox are going to get stuck with the best looking dog in a very ugly litter of pups. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Anybody know how much cash we're talking about?  The Sox are saving about $7M between Theo's salary and bonus - if the Cubs add another $15 - $20, that money could be applied toward the Darvish posting.  Then the Sox would only have to spend about $30M of their own money to post him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff October 20, 2011 12:06 PM Both GM-to-be Ben Cherington and owner John Henry have responded that reports of the Theo Epstein to Cubs compensation deal being close to being done are premature. When asked if the deal was close, Henry texted, "No, not close." Cherington also indicated that the reports were premature. At some point the reports - and the optimism must be coming from Chicago - will likely be accurate as the sides appear to be working all out to make something happen. There's also no evidence that the Red Sox have asked Major League Baseball to waive its blackout rule of no major announcements for the offday (tomorrow), only because no deal has yet been consumated, at least according to two major Red Sox officials would know. The Sox want Cubs top pitching prospect Trey McNutt, but may consider righty Chris Carpenter.
    Posted by UticaClub

I don't exactly understand what part of Henry's statement that he made on WEEI last week that reporters don't understand...He stated then that MLB frowns on teams making major announcements duting the fall classic.

To that end what interest does it serve for either he or Cherington to state that the deal is done or close...If that was the case then they may as well just annouce it and be done with it...It's not hard to read between the lines on this one...of coarse it's close...is it done? Not really all that important...In the end Epstein will be working for the Cubs and the Sox will extract maximum value in terms of copmpensation...Which will be subject to the approval of the commishoners office...So if they or the Cub's annouce it without Selig's approval he likely as a matter of coarse, would deny them approval. both sides have to play ball on this one becasue it's a precedent setting move one that will have longlasting impact on how future moves of this sort are mitigated...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Everything I've read makes it sound like Jackson, McNutt, and Szcrzrczrzc are three of the only Cubs prospects even worth having, so if this is accurate, it makes you wonder just what we WOULD be getting... Part of me would rather pay Theo to sit out the season on principle rather than just trading him for junk, but then again, maybe it'll be better to get past all this and move on with the offseason.
    Posted by Flapjack07

I know, when the only 3 decent prospects in the system are off the table it doesn't feel like much of a negotiation. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN : because there is no salary cap in baseball
    Posted by LedZeppelin1969

Not a hard cap but there is a luxury tax and thus a "soft cap". 

This ownership has stated in the past that they intend to operate under the luxury tax, so in that sense there is also a self imposed cap.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Theo to Cubbies nears completion according to ESPN : Not a hard cap but there is a luxury tax and thus a "soft cap".  This ownership has stated in the past that they intend to operate under the luxury tax, so in that sense there is also a self imposed cap.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards
    nicely explained

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

This all seems to me like a non-story - unless they can't come to an agreement.  And then what?  The Cubs want Theo.  Theo wants to go to the Cubs. JH is willing to let him go to the Cubs.  If they can't come to an agreement on compensation, does Theo stay here?  How awkward would THAT be?? It appears to me that the Cubs are holding all the cards here in that this has now gone so far that there's no turning back.  Theo is going to the Cubs.  The Cubs aren't willing to give up anyone we want in exchange, and we don't want anyone they have to offer. My guess is that the Sox are going to get stuck with the best looking dog in a very ugly litter of pups. 
    Posted by S5

He's still under contract with the Red Sox, so I completely disagree with you.  He wouldn't stay here in the sense that he would come back and be the GM, he'd get paid, but he wouldn't have a, or at least not the same, position.  I don't see that happening though, because both sides want to get a deal done, but either way the Red Sox have a GM and the Cubs don't, so the Red Sox have the leverage if there is any.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't see how the Cubs beat reporter Levine can go record stating categorically that none of the top 3 prospects will be dealt for Theo! If I'm the Red Sox I don't let him go for any less than two of the top 3 talents in their farm system or 1 and a top tier player already on their roster.Just my opinion on the subject.

Sections
Shortcuts