Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage

In Response to Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage:
    [QUOTE]They're both absurdly hyped, laughably overrated and huge disappointments.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

What did you expect to get for him?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

Tweet from Chris Heyman

yes, 11th best cubs prospects sounds pretty good. but keep in mind, cubs have fewer prospects than most. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I was hoping they'd get a trainer, maybe a bunch of those bracelets that help people with their balance, and a few of those magnets that you put on achy muscles that focus the positive ions and help people recover from injuries faster.

Oh and some bat warmers like the ones Pedro Cerrano used in Major League and a shrine to Jobu.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

From busted olenut

About the Theo compensation: Boston's ownership made a mistake in not settling compensation before he walked out the door.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage:
    [QUOTE]From busted olenut Buster Olney   @ Buster_ESPN   Reply     Retweet     Favorite   ·   Open About the Theo compensation: Boston's ownership made a mistake in not settling compensation before he walked out the door.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Buster.

We never would've been able to figure that out for ourselves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Thanks, Buster. We never would've been able to figure that out for ourselves.
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

nothing like stating the obvious...Honestly, I doubt the Sox would have gotten much more in return, regardless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : nothing like stating the obvious...honestly, I doubt the Sox would have gotten much more in return, regardless.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Probably not, J-Bay.

But, the Sox lost any leverage they might have had.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Probably not, J-Bay. But, the Sox lost any leverage they might have had.

Exactly. Poor negotiating from the start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Agreed, apparently Theo didnt think he was worth as much as the Sox didWink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I feel a little too lazy to look this up, but, can someone tell me anything about the history of front office personnel compensation?  I mean, has there ever been anything approaching quality player personnel compensation for a FO operative?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I was always under the impression that they wanted Theo out the door.  If they were going to fire Tito didn't they have to fire Theo?  It wasn't like Tito mismanaged the team.  It wasn't like it was Tito's fault that Dice K and Lackey needed TJ surgery or Buch broke a bone in his back or Beckett twisted his ankle or Bobby Jenks was too fat to pitch..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The comments that Bud Selig made bother me the most.  He stated that he wanted to see a valuable piece get moved to discourage teams from poaching rival executives.  To ensure the compensation was significant, he set two criteria:

Criteria A) Must be a prospect
    Criteria B) Must be on the 40 man roster

I think he was trying to help the Sox with crieteria B, but that ultimately did us in.  There were only four prospects (all mediocre relievers) that were on the 40 man roster.  

Just because you are on the 40 man roster does not mean that you are a top prospect (I think Michael Bowden is on our 40 man roster).

I dont think Selig even considered the pool of players that fit his criteria before establishing such criteria.  I'm pretty dissapointed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : What did you expect to get for him?

Matt Sczcur.  The cubs have three outfielders in their top 10 prospects.  Brett Jackson is seen as a potential 30-30 guy and considered a top 3 prospect in their organization.  He would be too much; however, I was hoping that having Jackson makes the Cubs willing to part with either of the other two guys (Szczur and a Korean).

Sczcur is intriguing because of how raw he is.  He always focused on football, not baseball, so he's difficult to scout.    However, he is very athletic with a 25 HR frame.  He's very far away from the majors but could wind up being a .270 15 HR / 30 stolen basese type (Johnny Damon comes to mind as a an MLB comparison).  

Or they could have given us the Korean (whose name I dont recall).  I feel like you can patchwork together a bullepen.  Relief pitchers are a commodity.  I wanted an outfielder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage :   "When Andy MacPhail came from Minnesota (as GM) to the Cubs (as team president), the Cubs sent pitching prospect Hector Trinidad to the Twins . At the time, Trinidad was 20 years old and had just finished a decent, but not outstanding, season for Daytona. He was considered to be a major league possibility, though not a top prospect. He never made the major leagues ." Theo on the topic " When Andy MacPhail, who had won two World Series, left on a lateral move from Minnesota to Chicago back in '94, his compensation was the 30th- ranked prospect in the Cubs' system [ Hector Trinidad ] and a little bit of cash." In Epstein's opinion, "There's no precedent for major, major compensation here." 
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom.  Thats what I thought.  The expectations were way out of whack on this one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage :   "When Andy MacPhail came from Minnesota (as GM) to the Cubs (as team president), the Cubs sent pitching prospect Hector Trinidad to the Twins . At the time, Trinidad was 20 years old and had just finished a decent, but not outstanding, season for Daytona. He was considered to be a major league possibility, though not a top prospect. He never made the major leagues ." Theo on the topic " When Andy MacPhail, who had won two World Series, left on a lateral move from Minnesota to Chicago back in '94, his compensation was the 30th- ranked prospect in the Cubs' system [ Hector Trinidad ] and a little bit of cash." In Epstein's opinion, "There's no precedent for major, major compensation here." 
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

And theo's was a promotion, not a lateral move.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I added a bit . no Prob Space

"When Andy MacPhail came from Minnesota (as GM) to the Cubs (as team president), the Cubs sent pitching prospect Hector Trinidad to the Twins. At the time, Trinidad was 20 years old and had just finished a decent, but not outstanding, season for Daytona. He was considered to be a major league possibility, though not a top prospect.

He never made the major leagues."

Theo on the topic "When Andy MacPhail, who had won two World Series, left on a lateral move from Minnesota to Chicago back in '94, his compensation was the 30th-ranked prospect in the Cubs' system [Hector Trinidad] and a little bit of cash." In Epstein's opinion, "There's no precedent for major, major compensation here."

Side note:

2012 Baseball America ranked the Cubs' system 14th and (Red Sox 10th) prior to the additions of Anthony Rizzo, Ronald Torreyes, Dave Sappelt and Zach Cates 

March 2011 BA:
    16th. Chicago Cubs
    17th. Boston Red Sox

Is it just me but could you imagine a Jose Iglesias type talent having been the Theo comp? Jose Iglesias (BA rank #12) and Carpenter (Carpenter was ranked as the 13 th best prospect in the Cubs system by BaseballAmerica.)

Morrie (New Joisey): Was Iglesias the system's biggest disappointment this season, and is he still in your 30?

Jim Callis: Iglesias almost made the Top 10, but I ultimately put him at No. 12 because I couldn't find a scout outside the organization who believed at all in his bat. That's a little harsh, because going to Triple-A at 21 wasn't completely fair to him. Given the degree of difficulty, I'd actually call Drake Britton and Stolmy Pimentel biggest disappointments in 2011.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Thanks Tom.  Thats what I thought.  The expectations were way out of whack on this one.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  The previously set precedence became irrelevant when Selig came out and said that he wanted to set a precedent and make the compensation significant to discourage teams from poaching execs.

I dont think the agreed upon player matched Selig's intent.  Wouldnt you be willing to part with Andrew Miller for an established GM?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Disagree.  The previously set precedence became irrelevant when Selig came out and said that he wanted to set a precedent  and make the compensation significant to discourage teams from poaching execs. I dont think the agreed upon player matched Selig's intent.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Typically, teams don't block their employees from accepting promotions from other teams. Maybe there was no need for any compensation at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Typically, teams don't block their employees from accepting promotions from other teams. Maybe there was no need for any compensation at all.

I believe that applies to employee whose contracts are about up, not the one's with a year still left on their contracts.

You don't generally hear of GMs being let out of their contracts to go to another team. They're usually fired outright, then are free to join another club.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : And theo's was a promotion, not a lateral move.
    Andy MacPhail's move in 1994 was a promotion as well (from general manager of the Twins to president and CEO of the Cubs).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Andy MacPhail's move in 1994 was a promotion as well (from general manager of the Twins to president and CEO of the Cubs).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Ok...the previous poster said it was a lateral move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm glad the clubs were able to work out an agreement (although I suspect Bud Selig brokered the compromise but had the teams sign off on it).

If the decision had been left to me as baseball commissioner, I would have penalized each team for failing to reach an agreement beforehand by awarding compensation that neither team would like.

Specifically, I would have given the Red Sox 29-year-old lefthand-hitting firstbaseman Bryan LaHair, whom the Cubs need as a bridge to Anthony Rizzo and for whom the Red Sox have neither the need nor the room on their roster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : Typically, teams don't block their employees from accepting promotions from other teams. Maybe there was no need for any compensation at all.

I agree with this point; however, I do not feel it is 100% irrelevant.  Selig said the compensation should be enough to effectively discourage teams from doing what the cubs did.  If selig never said that, I would be content. 

Do you think that sending over a 26 year old RELIEVER (easiest position to fill) with control problems who had a 5.5 ERA in AAA discourages teams from poaching execs?

If it doesnt (and I dont think it does), then Selig didnt follow through with what he said he was going to do.  He said he wanted to SET THE PRECEDENT

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo's compensation is a lot like a Kardashian marriage : I agree with this point; however, I do not feel it is 100% irrelevant.  Selig said the compensation should be enough to effectively discourage teams from doing what the cubs did.  If selig never said that, I would be content.  Do you think that sending over a 26 year old RELIEVER (easiest position to fill) with control problems who had a 5.5 ERA in AAA discourages teams from poaching execs? If it doesnt (and I dont think it does), then Selig didnt follow through with what he said he was going to do.  He said he wanted to SET THE PRECEDENT
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    Did Bud Selig say that? Do you have a link?

Shouldn't the commissioner discourage a team from releasing an executive before first deciding on compensation?