Theo's mind racing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Theo's mind racing

The Cubs are probably going to make Theo an incredible offer but would Theo walk away from a team who has a lot better chance at success in Boston?  I for one would be shocked to see Theo walk away from a mess he partly created without trying to right things.  Not only would it burn bridges, Theo would also be looked at by many as a guy running from one mess to start a new fresh when his stock is high.

So what kind of guy do you really think Theo is?  One that will run, or stay and help get this team back where they belong?  Also, do Larry, John and company want Theo back?  Or do they feel it's time for a complete makeover after everything that has appeared to got out of control.  There are a lot of issues to debate on both sides but I hope Theo is a stand up guy and can turn this mess around next season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Theo's mind racing

If I were Theo I'd walk and if I'm the sox I have no problem letting him walk. Time for a change. Theo will get a nice pay raise and a chance to get the cubs a ring. Of course, Theodore abilities have diminished over the past several seasons...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Theo's mind racing:
    If I were Theo I'd walk and if I'm the sox I have no problem letting him walk. Time for a change. Theo will get a nice pay raise and a chance to get the cubs a ring. Of course, Theodore abilities have diminished over the past several seasons...
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

SoxPat,

If Theo leaves I'm not sure he would have much success in Chicago.  I agree, Theo has had a lot of hit or miss deals the last few years.  I would say a few more misses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

could you explain in detail just what the better chance of success in Boston means?
    The sox are anchored by  very bad contracts held by non-performing players
    The sox have little in the upper minors to bring up or trade
    The sox have some critical free agents to make significant decisions on.
    The sox need 2-3 starters. Dice coming back is not the answer.  He is no good!
    The sox need major help in the pen.
    The sox need to make a decision at short and to fill a hole in right foeld.

I frankly do not know all the problems with the cubs, but staying here is no easy task.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Theo has to grapple with the problems he created here with a short leash or the ones he inherits in Chicago and gets some breathing room from a new ownership.
    Either way, in Boston or Chicago he has some major problems to deal with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

could you explain in detail just what the better chance of success in Boston means? The sox are anchored by  very bad contracts held by non-performing players The sox have little in the upper minors to bring up or trade The sox have some critical free agents to make significant decisions on. The sox need 2-3 starters. Dice coming back is not the answer.  He is no good! The sox need major help in the pen. The sox need to make a decision at short and to fill a hole in right foeld. I frankly do not know all the problems with the cubs, but staying here is no easy task.  
    Posted by accland

accland,

The Cubs being 71 and 91 should answer part of your question.  The Sox are not in that bad of shape if Theo or whoever can make the correct moves.
      Here is a good start .....

#1 We need a tough disciplinarian manager who isn't afraid to take risks and play some small ball if needed like Maddon. 

#2 Out with the old, great guys but Tek, Wake and Drew should be replaced.  Drew with Reddick or Kalish and guy like Cuddyer in RF.  Even Beltran if the price is right.  Beltran will be 36 so I'm not sure he will get big bucks anywhere.  Lavarnway and Salty should be given there chance at catcher.  Wake is the toughest choice because we don't presently know if anyone is better suited as I would keep Miller around for a seventh starter.  He has the skill if he can control it.  Bedard is also an option as the fifth starter with Aceves taking Wakes place and helping the pen.

#3 Lackey needs to be dealt if he is in fact healthy but we have few choices like Zambrano, Santana or even David Wright so Youk can move to DH.  This would save us Papi's salary to upgrade our pitching.  We could also keep Papi and Youk where they are and try to flip Lackey for an above pitcher.  Any trade for Lackey would have to be worth the other teams wild.   In other words we would probably need to include a couple prospects like Middlebrooks plus one more for a guy for Wright or Zambrano.  Santana "if the Mets would even do it" would surely take at least one prospect plus Lackey. 

#4  The Yankees and about 10 other teams will be after CJ Wilson while Nolan Ryan tries to resign him but we should be in on it.  Either way I firmly believe our top priority should be a #4 pitcher to replace Lackey.

#5 Aceves should be our fifth starter.  I would try my very best to sign a middle reliever like "Ryan Madson" to take his place.  Weiland was a good reliever in college and I feel he is best suited to join our pen for at least a shot.

#6 Pap, real tough decision because is Bard good enough, or could a guy like Heath Bell handle pressure in Boston?  I'm leaning towards keeping Pap, but again we need a top tier starting pitcher so it would be money towards this.

#7 Would love to go after Reyes but it won't happen so bring Scuter back along with Aviles and give Iglesias another year to mature.  Lowrie is probably expendable or trade bait.

#8 Do not trade Jacoby, try and sign him or possibly package him for a player like Kemp or J. Upton, he has that kind of value.

#9 Our entire management staff needs to make sure every single player stays in top physical condition.  There will still be injuries but we won't look like a bunch of Fat Cats out there.

#10 We need to make Pede our captain.  He is a leader by example and will voice his opinion if things get out of hand.  We need a leader on this team as bad as we need pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

Wait...Theo Epstein had abilities?
    Fire Theo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Theo's mind racing:
    The Cubs are probably going to make Theo an incredible offer but would Theo walk away from a team who has a lot better chance at success in Boston?  I for one would be shocked to see Theo walk away from a mess he partly created without trying to right things.  Not only would it burn bridges, Theo would also be looked at by many as a guy running from one mess to start a new fresh when his stock is high. So what kind of guy do you really think Theo is?  One that will run, or stay and help get this team back where they belong?  Also, do Larry, John and company want Theo back?  Or do they feel it's time for a complete makeover after everything that has appeared to got out of control.  There are a lot of issues to debate on both sides but I hope Theo is a stand up guy and can turn this mess around next season.
    Posted by craze4sox

Aren't you on record on saying that you work for NESN? Working for NESN, the Globe, or the Red Sox is all the same. You are concerned about traffic into the Globe forum. This is why you are instruccted to start threads like this - the Almighty buck.  I can see through your motives and I can see that most others do likewise. The forum needs more honesty and sincerity instead of controversial , stupid threads.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"#1 We need a tough disciplinarian manager who isn't afraid to take risks and play some small ball if needed like Maddon."

Tell me the last example of a "tough disciplinarian manager" who imposed his will on a veteran team of millionaires.  It doesn't work anymore.  In this day of huge, guaranteed contracts, the players don't fear the managers. 

And not to pick on you, but I am so sick of Sox fans canonizing Joe Maddon.  I live down here.  He's a good manager but not god's gift to baseball like some of you make him out to be.  There is no guarantee he would do a good job in Boston.  It's a completely different job.  He's used to managing in a market with little pressure to win and he doesn't have to babysit millionaires.  The Rays are a young and hungry team but it's not necessarily because of the way Maddon manages.  The team has a completely different makeup than the Sox.  They're mostly young guys trying to establish themselves in the majors, not guys who've already banked millions and millions of $$.  And I've said it  before, but they had 7 quality starters on their staff.  We'd kill for guys like Matt Moore and Alex Cobb
    but TB has so much pitching depth they kept these guys in the minors almost all yr.  There's a lot less "managing" to do whan you get a quality start almost every game and don't have to start mixing and matching relievers in the 5th inning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Cubs have won a division more recently than the Red Sox have, although the Cubbies face the daunting task of playing in a division that produced two of the four finalists in the 2011 postseason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Craze4Sox is a NESN plant who is intent on keeping this forum alive by stirring the pot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Theo's mind racing : Aren't you on record on saying that you work for NESN? Working for NESN, the Globe, or the Red Sox is all the same. You are concerned about traffic into the Globe forum. This is why you are instruccted to start threads like this - the Almighty buck.  I can see through your motives and I can see that most others do likewise. The forum needs more honesty and sincerity instead of controversial , stupid threads.
    Posted by UticaClub

Does it matter where I work?  I'm a normal fan who wants this team to make good moves for our future.  Nobody tells me to join in on this forum.  Why do feel the need to leave posts like this using an alias screen name?  Afraid to let us all know who you are?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

"#1 We need a tough disciplinarian manager who isn't afraid to take risks and play some small ball if needed like Maddon." Tell me the last example of a "tough disciplinarian manager" who imposed his will on a veteran team of millionaires.  It doesn't work anymore.  In this day of huge, guaranteed contracts, the players don't fear the managers.  And not to pick on you, but I am so sick of Sox fans canonizing Joe Maddon.  I live down here.  He's a good manager but not god's gift to baseball like some of you make him out to be.  There is no guarantee he would do a good job in Boston.  It's a completely different job.  He's used to managing in a market with little pressure to win and he doesn't have to babysit millionaires.  The Rays are a young and hungry team but it's not necessarily because of the way Maddon manages.  The team has a completely different makeup than the Sox.  They're mostly young guys trying to establish themselves in the majors, not guys who've already banked millions and millions of $$.  And I've said it  before, but they had 7 quality starters on their staff.  We'd kill for guys like Matt Moore and Alex Cobb but TB has so much pitching depth they kept these guys in the minors almost all yr.  There's a lot less "managing" to do whan you get a quality start almost every game and don't have to start mixing and matching relievers in the 5th inning.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Girardi does a decent job keeping the Yankee players focused.  His staff was mediocre this season and still got them through.  I realize the Rays are pitching heavy and wish we were.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The Cubs have won a division more recently than the Red Sox have, although the Cubbies face the daunting task of playing in a division that produced two of the four finalists in the 2011 postseason.
    Posted by hill55

It will certainly take some creative deals to get the Cubbies back on track.  It would be interesting to see what Theo could do.  Here in Boston he inherited a pretty strong bunch of idiots.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

In all this it seems a new page has been turned in Red Sox history whether Theo stays or not. It seems to me I heard something coming from the triumverate(Henry, Lucchino and Wehrner) that they sent line up changes they wanted to put into effect and Tito did not listen. I hope whoever the new manager becomes that he is not just a voice for the three and they can call down anytime and have a line up changed. It sounds like ownership by Steinbrenner. The manager has the feel for the game and communicates with the players while the three are in the penthouse. Stay up there and let the manager and general manager run the games. You know you are beginning to sound like the old Ted Turner where he controlled everything and the team continued to lose. He hired Bobby Cox and John Schuerholz and look what happend. He big three do the same and sit back and enjoy. Do not try to manage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

In all this it seems a new page has been turned in Red Sox history whether Theo stays or not. It seems to me I heard something coming from the triumverate(Henry, Lucchino and Wehrner) that they sent line up changes they wanted to put into effect and Tito did not listen. I hope whoever the new manager becomes that he is not just a voice for the three and they can call down anytime and have a line up changed. It sounds like ownership by Steinbrenner. The manager has the feel for the game and communicates with the players while the three are in the penthouse. Stay up there and let the manager and general manager run the games. You know you are beginning to sound like the old Ted Turner where he controlled everything and the team continued to lose. He hired Bobby Cox and John Schuerholz and look what happend. He big three do the same and sit back and enjoy. Do not try to manage.
    Posted by ArtWikle

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberr48. Show roberr48's posts

No Brainer......Theo's buddy.....Eddie Vedder is a Cubs fan.........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by ArtWikle

Hey ArtWikle,

Some people believe a guy that works for NESN "as I do" is a spy or full of crap and don't watch the same games they do.  In reality I watch almost every second and then some of every game.  Our team is not under the desperate measures many believe.  We made mistakes and everyone knows what they were.  Our management team is well prepared for the loss of Theo and Tito. 

I'm personally only worried about trading or replacing Lackey if hes healthy.  It was a huge mistake but one that can be fixed if everyone is in agreement they made a mistake and just cut there losses,

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

No Brainer......Theo's buddy.....Eddie Vedder is a Cubs fan.........
    Posted by roberr48

Good...that means Theo can leave.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Is there ANYONE who can take the Cubs to the WS? I don't think such a creature exists, but I lean toward thinking he may go for it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Amen to that. Maddon and his "zany antics" do absolutely nothing for me. Don't like him or his style. He thrives in a place where they don't take baseball that seriously. His "dress up" games would not work in Boston at all. This is Bellichick's town too, don't forget that. He's as much lucky as anything. In Response to Re: Theo's mind racing:
    "#1 We need a tough disciplinarian manager who isn't afraid to take risks and play some small ball if needed like Maddon." Tell me the last example of a "tough disciplinarian manager" who imposed his will on a veteran team of millionaires.  It doesn't work anymore.  In this day of huge, guaranteed contracts, the players don't fear the managers.  And not to pick on you, but I am so sick of Sox fans canonizing Joe Maddon.  I live down here.  He's a good manager but not god's gift to baseball like some of you make him out to be.  There is no guarantee he would do a good job in Boston.  It's a completely different job.  He's used to managing in a market with little pressure to win and he doesn't have to babysit millionaires.  The Rays are a young and hungry team but it's not necessarily because of the way Maddon manages.  The team has a completely different makeup than the Sox.  They're mostly young guys trying to establish themselves in the majors, not guys who've already banked millions and millions of $$.  And I've said it  before, but they had 7 quality starters on their staff.  We'd kill for guys like Matt Moore and Alex Cobb but TB has so much pitching depth they kept these guys in the minors almost all yr.  There's a lot less "managing" to do whan you get a quality start almost every game and don't have to start mixing and matching relievers in the 5th inning.
    Posted by siestafiesta

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Theo's mind racing : Is there ANYONE who can take the Cubs to the WS? I don't think such a creature exists, but I lean toward thinking he may go for it.
    Posted by TheExaminer

If Theo takes over the Cubs, my guess is we will be fine.  Larry L. knows baseball and can play GM without wasting money on Theo's salary this season.  Fans should not worry about losing Theo or Tito trust me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If Larry had his way, the RedSox would have emulated the Mets for the last several years. The farm system and the scouting/development are Theo's doing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

False. The farm system and pitching management and development are terrible and InEpstein's doing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Posted by hill55

I do believe by the end of 2012 ALL of their big contracts will be done with. Theo can put his mark on the Cubs in full by 2014... no more Soriano' Zambrano' or Ramirez'.

Sections
Shortcuts