There is no way I would trade Reddick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

There is no way I would trade Reddick

Please theo, do not consider a trade that would involve Josh Reddick this kid is going to be a very good ball player for many years.  If we need a RH bat go after A. Rameriez of the cubs and slot Youk into the Dh role next year.  Let Ortiz walk.  This would balance the lineup out.  Don't trade Riddeck for beltran, let someone else hold the bag.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: There is no way I would trade Reddick

Reddick looks very impressive - shades of Fred Lynn?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

It's possible that Reddick has "figured it out" and everything has fallen into place this year.  It's also possible that the notoriously streaky Reddick has just been on an unbelievable run and isn't anywhere near this good.  If the latter is true, now would be a great time to sell high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Siesta, the difference between Reddick *this* time and his other hot streaks is that he is showing much better plate discipline. His BB:K ratio was approaching 1 at Pawtucket and is holding steady at roughly 1:2 in the majors. Hits and home runs come and go, but plate discipline can't be faked.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It's a tough call - is he Fred Lynn or Phil Plantier? 

I'd say not for Beltran - even if Reddick is just on a streak, there's a chance it lasts into the post-season.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Siesta, the difference between Reddick *this* time and his other hot streaks is that he is showing much better plate discipline. His BB:K ratio was approaching 1 at Pawtucket and is holding steady at roughly 1:2 in the majors. Hits and home runs come and go, but plate discipline can't be faked.
    Posted by thirtysomething

Right!  Even today, he was taking bad pitches and swinging at good strikes.  At times in the past week or so he would swing at the first pitch several at-bats in a row and hit a fly or grounder, but looking more patient.

It's also hard to really tell, when almost a quarter of his games (and most of his homers) have come against Orioles pitching.

Still, liking what he's showing so far!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Ya i gotta say i am impressed by what reddick has done so far and he looks like he belongs in the majors. I would not trade him for beltran and i hope the sox stay away from him. The only 2 guys i would trade him for who will be available is hunter pence and ubaldo jimenez. There was a report on mlbtr today that said the astros are open to trading pence. A package centered around reddick would no doubt entice the astros. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

IMO, the FO saw Reddick replacing Drew two years back.
    He's not going to be baiting any 2-month bridge this year. They see him manning RF for years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Reddick got a wake up call when Kalish passed him on his way to the majors last year.  It seems that Reddick took that to heart and did something about it.  Good to see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Charles2008. Show Charles2008's posts

I agree that Reddick look real good, and I would not trade him for a rent-a-player.  But how many LH outfielder does a team need?  Also, their top OF prospect is also LH (Kalish).

A trade for Pence centered around Reddick and a couple of mid0level prospects makes sense for both teams, this year and for the longer term.

Otherwise, you keep riding him in RF until (and if) he comes back down to earth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'm just playing devil's advocate but you have to admit it's a possibility. You guys are right about him having a much better approach this yr but he started hot at Pawtucket and his avg there now stands at .230, including .147 in his last 10 games.   And if their evaluators still think Kalish is the better player that would be another factor.  I wouldn't be actively shopping him right now but I wouldn't call him untradeable if the right deal came up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"I wouldn't call him untradeable if the right deal came up."

Would need to be a deal that fills the RF gap that his departure would create. People are jumping on the idea of Hunter Pence, though I'm thinking we will be disappointed (and likely pay too much) if that actually comes to pass.

Cover up Pence's 2011 line when deciding what level of performance he has "proven". His .377 BABIP this year is almost certainly unsustainable, and 73 points above what he did last year (and from 2008-2010).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: There is no way I would trade Reddick:
    I'm just playing devil's advocate but you have to admit it's a possibility. You guys are right about him having a much better approach this yr but he started hot at Pawtucket and his avg there now stands at .230 , including .147 in his last 10 games .   And if their evaluators still think Kalish is the better player that would be another factor.  I wouldn't be actively shopping him right now but I wouldn't call him untradeable if the right deal came up.
    Posted by siestafiesta

I agree, he's far from untouchable, but a couple of points:

1) His OBP break-through came this year (100 points higher in Pawtucket) so there is a very real possibility that he needed some time to adjust to his new approach.  Laying off pitches probably translated to a lot of called strikes on balls he would have put in play in years prior.

2) Dealing Kalish or Reddick puts a lot of pressure on the other.  The perfect scenario for 2012 might be to let them split time in the OF, and not deal either until it's clear which has the brighter future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Left- and right-handed shouldn't be a deciding factor, over time and natural turnover ( Ortiz @ dh, potential 2012 Salty/ Lavernaway @ catcher, Navarro @ ss) things balance out.
    Deciding factor should be skills, upside potential, and whether he fits in NOW.
    Reddick may be future rf, Kalish may be insurance policy.
    Trade Reddick for a rental ? NO.

But for a trade and sign stud ?
    Hmmm. Not sure Pence , but maybe for pitching.
    I REALLY like this kid, not since days of Burks & Greenwell or even Lynn & Rice have I liked a rook outfielder like this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Or not deal either, period.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ressler4444. Show ressler4444's posts

This kid has it, I would not trade him for anyone except as part of a deal for Reyes(with Reyes signing an extention). I know Reyes is not coming at the deadline but by keeping Reddick and losing Drew's contract they can go after Reyes and pay him what it takes. Forget all the LH heavy talk all our lefties seem to be hitting the ball very well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I'm just playing devil's advocate but you have to admit it's a possibility. You guys are right about him having a much better approach this yr but he started hot at Pawtucket and his avg there now stands at .230 , including .147 in his last 10 games .   And if their evaluators still think Kalish is the better player that would be another factor.  I wouldn't be actively shopping him right now but I wouldn't call him untradeable if the right deal came up.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Please don't play "devil's advocate" since the forum has enough a-holes that already do that all of the time. Just be sincere and honest. There is no need to con us and stir the pot for the sake / pleasure of annoying others. The forum needs honest, sincere posters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: There is no way I would trade Reddick : Please don't play "devil's advocate" since the forum has enough a-holes that already do that all of the time. Just be sincere and honest. There is no need to con us and stir the pot for the sake / pleasure of annoying others. The forum needs

honest, sincere posters.
    Posted by Your-Echo

Then W-T-F are you doing here?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I've been calling for Reddick/Kalish to get a chance to battle for the position in 2012. Reddick might be winning that battle right now. We'll see how he adjusts as the league adjusts to him though, as this is the most important part of being a big leaguer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

One month wonder. The 2011 Lou  CLinton- Dutch Volmer.
    If you can get a proven commodity for Red dick, then do it.
    Reddick also leaves lots of runners in scoring position.with a 259 average.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I doubt that the Sox have any intention of trading either Reddick or Navarro for a Beltran or a Hunter Pence.  The club might be tempted for now, since it could have Ortiz available only for PH duty in the WS.  In that case, maybe Pence or Beltran would be a better bet than Reddick. But even that is a big bet. You have to get to the WS first.  
    I think Harness is right to believe that in Theo's steel drawer, there has been for some time a chart that shows Reddick in RF in 2012. The club has been waiting for him to make it happen. Surely now is not the time to abandon that projection. Trading high is one way to look at a subject. "Reddick is hot. Let's get something for him."  Keeping the something you have is an even better way to go.  You never know, of course, but that also applies to Beltran or Pence.
    It's a safe assumption that Iglesias will not be ready in 2012 -- or ever unless he vastly improves his hitting. ( Theo is not fond of shortstops with limp bats. ) Scutaro will be gone. Reyes is a long-shot signing. The Sox have big contracts on the books and potential ones in the wings. Odds are that in ST Lowrie and Navarro will vie for the job, with Lowrie as the vet getting first dibs.  But just as he unseated Scutaro, Lowrie could find himself hard pressed by a better fielding player who is no slouch with the bat.  Reddick and Navarro in the starting lineup would be easy on the budget.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to There is no way I would trade Reddick:
    Please theo, do not consider a trade that would involve Josh Reddick this kid is going to be a very good ball player for many years.  If we need a RH bat go after A. Rameriez of the cubs and slot Youk into the Dh role next year.  Let Ortiz walk.  This would balance the lineup out.  Don't trade Riddeck for beltran, let someone else hold the bag.
    Posted by bigdog1

Don't trade Reddick. Ells and Boras will be gone when contract is up .Then Sox can make a move.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Please don't play "devil's advocate" since the forum has enough a-holes that already do that all of the time. Just be sincere and honest. There is no need to con us and stir the pot for the sake / pleasure of annoying others. The forum needs honest, sincere posters."

When I say I'm playing devil's advocate I don't mean I'm throwing out some BS that I don't believe just to get a response.  I believe there's a legitimate possibility that Reddick is playing way over his head and will prove to be much less of a player than some are making him out to be.  I'm not predicting that he'll crash and burn but still think it's possible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Reddick also leaves lots of runners in scoring position.with a 259 average.
    Posted by tbrod

This is an excellent point. I'm guessing that he gets nervous in this situation and his new-found plate discipline slips. Hunter Pence is an excellent RBI bat, aggressive but effective.

Reddick, unsurprisingly, has been anti-clutch (weighted by leverage, his effective production is weaker than his overall line). Pence has been very much a clutch hitter the last two years (his effective production is stronger than his overall line).

I still don't see Pence as one of the top five RF in the majors, and am reluctant to strip the farm system for anything less.

Sections
Shortcuts