There should be NO problem with Josh Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strike13. Show Strike13's posts

There should be NO problem with Josh Hamilton

We need to replace our so-called great offense that was traded away a few months ago.  We have enough of the A's "moneyball" types right now, what we need is a big bat and an ace starter.  Acquiring these two should replace the void made by three stars that were traded (sorry, Punto doesnt count).  

I do NOT think we should go for Greinke, as he is a major head case and would not bode well in Boston, can't handle pressure.  With that being said, I believe Josh Hamilton is the big bat we are looking for.  He would do nothing but crush the ball in our tiny park.  While he may be subject to set backs, like this off season, also making him a head case, that should not impede his ability to play in Boston, as unlike Greinke, he can perform on a big stage.  I believe the right opportunity (big contract) would be enough motivation to stay straight.  If the Sox are weary, take the money spent on Dice-K's translator and hire Hamilton a prevention guard.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: There should be NO problem with Josh Hamilton

In response to Strike13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We need to replace our so-called great offense that was traded away a few months ago.  We have enough of the A's "moneyball" types right now, what we need is a big bat and an ace starter.  Acquiring these two should replace the void made by three stars that were traded (sorry, Punto doesnt count).  

I do NOT think we should go for Greinke, as he is a major head case and would not bode well in Boston, can't handle pressure.  With that being said, I believe Josh Hamilton is the big bat we are looking for.  He would do nothing but crush the ball in our tiny park.  While he may be subject to set backs, like this off season, also making him a head case, that should not impede his ability to play in Boston, as unlike Greinke, he can perform on a big stage.  I believe the right opportunity (big contract) would be enough motivation to stay straight.  If the Sox are weary, take the money spent on Dice-K's translator and hire Hamilton a prevention guard.  

[/QUOTE]Only if he signs a "fall off the wagon" contract !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Rangers told Hamilton and his agent to test the market.  I wonder what offers he will get.

Isn't his agent Scott Boras?  If yes, then he will easily get a five or six-year deal.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think there are lots of problems with Josh Hamilton.

A. After the contracts signed by Braun, Pujols and Votto....he is gonna be expensive and frankly not worth it. They just cleared out 3 big contracts, don't expect the team to open the vaults for this guy.

B. He's around 31, in a few years he will be an injury risk and his power will drop, you want another "front end loaded" contract that leaves us with an aging player who can only DH for his final 5 years?

C. The Alcohol abuse thing may be in his past, I hope for his sake he has kicked that habit. But, the Boston media won't ever let it rest. First sign of a slump it will be front page headlines. he should be looking to play in a small market...he won't get the big money, but he's likely to have some peace. Boston would be a nightmare for a guy who's had abuse issues.

D. really , we should be focused on pitching here. Our pitching really stinks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Forget the booze.  Hamilton's upside is a lifetime OPS of .913, but his downside is he doesn't play whole seasons--never more than 148 games.  Plus the Sox really need a great, reliable bat at 1B.  One of the reasons they went after AGon was Youk was already showing signs of wear and tear. 

When he is right, Hamilton is one terrific hitter and not too shabby in the OF.  But he misses way too many games for whatever reasons. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there are lots of problems with Josh Hamilton.

A. After the contracts signed by Braun, Pujols and Votto....he is gonna be expensive and frankly not worth it. They just cleared out 3 big contracts, don't expect the team to open the vaults for this guy.

B. He's around 31, in a few years he will be an injury risk and his power will drop, you want another "front end loaded" contract that leaves us with an aging player who can only DH for his final 5 years?

C. The Alcohol abuse thing may be in his past, I hope for his sake he has kicked that habit. But, the Boston media won't ever let it rest. First sign of a slump it will be front page headlines. he should be looking to play in a small market...he won't get the big money, but he's likely to have some peace. Boston would be a nightmare for a guy who's had abuse issues.

D. really , we should be focused on pitching here. Our pitching really stinks.

[/QUOTE]
    Great points and I would imagine that most Red Sox fans agree with you.  Josh Hamilton is one of my favorite MLB players.  That being said, I still don't think he would be a good fit for the Red Sox and he probably would suffer from the added pressure of playing in Boston.   Signing him to a short-term deal would be great, but I don't see this happening. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Let me see if I have this straight: He's a great left-handed power hitter who should go crazy in our ballpark. Hmm ... seems we've heard that one before.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to Strike13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thing is, we DO NOT have "moneyball" players.  We used to...Reddick, Murphy, Crisp.  We've got Nava, Podsednik, Sweeney instead.  I like those guys, but Beane passed on all 3!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strike13. Show Strike13's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [

Thing is, we DO NOT have "moneyball" players.  We used to...Reddick, Murphy, Crisp.  We've got Nava, Podsednik, Sweeney instead.  I like those guys, but Beane passed on all 3!!!

[/QUOTE]

Ciriaco...Aviles...Ross...Nava...Podsednik...we don't???  I think we do...

and i havent even gotten to pitching yet...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I keep hearing how he is going to get a deal around 10yr/$200mill.  But I also keep hearing that no one wants to be in on him...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I keep hearing how he is going to get a deal around 10yr/$200mill.  But I also keep hearing that no one wants to be in on him...

[/QUOTE]

No shot he gets that much, especially when you consider the Dodgers, Yankees, Sox and Angels likely won't be involved at all.  Texas isn't going anywhere near that and it's highly unlikely Detroit will go more than 4 years, either.  Unless a team with deep pockets gets desperate, like Seattle possibly, I doubt he gets more than 5/100, and that's only because he's the biggest bat available.  There's just too many question marks with this guy...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

He relapsed in the offseason and again a year or two prior, so there's still issues there. It seems he's been able to have these setbacks and get back on track but that has a lot to do with the support system around him, including the Rangers. Put him in a new environment and who knows what can happen. The big markets offer bigger temptations. The potential big contract would be tempting but I assume there's some language in there that'll prevent him from getting it if he falls off the wagon and isn't able to perform because of it.

And Boston isn't the best place for him. He'll come to Boston and have stories written about his past problems. Whenever things go wrong it'll come up. If he's seen walking past a bar it'll be a story. Plus the pressure and stress that can come from playing here isn't idea for someone prone to turn to alcohol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hamilton seems to have a lot of "issues"He's got a ton of talent but you never know when something will suddenly pop up that will distract him.  

In kind of a strange statement,Rangers President Nolan Ryan said Hamilton's quitting smokeless tobacco was a factor in his post All-Star slump.:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/nolan-ryan-publicly-questions-josh-hamilton-attempt-quit-184418772--mlb.html

It sounds like Ryan is fed up with the problems Hamilton brings.Josh kind of reminds me of Manny Ramirez in that sense,great player but lots of baggage. I really don't think it would be wise for the Sox to sign him,let another team have the headaches. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If we could get him at 4yrs and 20mm per I might bite, but with a few clauses in the contract to protect them like games played, situations involving falling off the wagon, an assigned chaperone etc....

If he gets more than 4yrs I walk away...Which he most likely will

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

If the rumoured money/years are anywhere near the mark this would have to be one of the riskiest contracts ever.  Unless, as Susan suggested, we could get him for a year or two (the way we did with Beltre) I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

Sections
Shortcuts