These ain't your regular Sox, 12 games in

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

These ain't your regular Sox, 12 games in

Great pitching has to be a first.  And weakish but timely hitting is pretty unusual too.  No errors in 11 of the 12 games played, plus the team's DER (phoney baloney defensive range stat used by mlb.com) is among the best in baseball. 

Is it possible Ben Cherington has done something right?  Stay tuned.  We're not even out of the first inning. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: These ain't your regular Sox, 12 games in

IMO, BC has done more right than most would like to give him credit for

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

We could be 12-2 instead of 8-4 with a few more timely hits in that Baltimore series.  Isn't it great that Buch and Dempster are in the top five in strikeouts. Will we still hear this Softlaw troll calling him Dumpster? Is this guy really a Boston fan? He doesn't fool me.

and you don't fool me. pike.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Was somewhat underwhelmed by acquisitions of Victorino, Napoli, Dempster and ( to me,at least ) overpayment for Gomes. Would have preferred paying more for Cody Ross instead.

Liked pickups of ( other) Ross and Drew, LOVED Uehara ! Puzzled by Hanrahan deal when I fully expected Bailey to return to normal.

Again, very early but so far Mr. Ben's moves looking pretty good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BaddBrains's comment:

We could be 12-2 instead of 8-4 with a few more timely hits in that Baltimore series.  Isn't it great that Buch and Dempster are in the top five in strikeouts. Will we still hear this Softlaw troll calling him Dumpster? Is this guy really a Boston fan? He doesn't fool me.

12 + 2 =

8 + 4 =

Could we really pike?  Really?

:)

You do the math

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

These kids.....  It must be the "new math?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

12 + 2 =

8 + 4 =

You do the math

he can't do simple math but BOY can he troll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Nice start.  But Buch and Lester are not going to continue to pitch with Bob Gibsonesque ERAs.   The bullpen should hold and the closer dramas will likely cease.  The offense should pick up too, especially in the slugging department once Papi returns.

Hey, whatever combination it takes to get the job done.  Just win, baby.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

12 + 2 =

8 + 4 =

You do the math

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Great pitching has to be a first.  And weakish but timely hitting is pretty unusual too.  No errors in 11 of the 12 games played, plus the team's DER (phoney baloney defensive range stat used by mlb.com) is among the best in baseball. 

Is it possible Ben Cherington has done something right?  Stay tuned.  We're not even out of the first inning. 

Max, its going to be a long season but like I said the Sox can win at least 88 games and make the PS if they can avoid major injuries.  I also predicted Tampa has a last place finish which is a strong possibility considering their SP took a hit and they have very little in the pen to cover up a poor hitting lineup this season.

Hope it continues!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

8-4 vs. our four AL East rivals.  Quite impressive.  

I think not a single Red Sox starter has given up three earned runs in a start yet.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I say again, right now it's all about the pitching, especially the starters. 

Ellsbury is having a so-so season with an OPS of around .735.  But he leads the Sox in total bases, amazingly enough, and runs scored, less amazing, and is second in rbi's.  The Sox are winning on great pitching and timely hitting, which, as moonslav says, won't last forever.  Hopefully, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Napoli, Gomes, Drew, and Ortiz will get better as the season goes on. 

And, as said in the OP, the defense has been pretty good.

As for the pitching, what a difference a year makes, and right now I can't help thinking that the biggest move was not acquiring Dempster, but getting rid of Beckett.  And right behind that is getting Farrell and that new pitching coach, who between them have apparently transformed guys who struggled last year and in 2011. 

Sections
Shortcuts