these umpires suck

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

these umpires suck

last nite as i watched webster pitch i thought this kid is going to get hit hard.

the home plate ump never gave the kid anything on the black so as always

ya gotta come in with the pitch.this is not just a complaint about the sox

game bad umps are all over the league they just jerk my chain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: these umpires suck

I hear ya but I've had my fill of complaining about balls and strikes.  It is what it is, always has been and always will be.

The only thing that's changed is that we now have the computerized strike zone graphs that show everybody all the missed calls. 

The Twins pitcher got squeezed pretty good in the first inning too, BTW.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Webster might be tipping his pitches.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

But always make it more difficult for a young pitcher, bad calls by the ump, errors in the field usually undo a rookie.

More experienced pitchers seem to shake them off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

AMICA needs to hire a company, Lynx System Developers, from the Boston area---to do a better job of tracking the AMICA Strike Zone pitches. The umps can't be as bad as the AMICA product makes them out to be.

This is not rocket science.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

There are no home plate umpires in MLB.  They all rotate through that slot every 4th game, and some are definitely better than others.  Plus I think they are   influenced by that egregious called third strike in Tampa last month, after which the ump himself said he made a bad call.  I'm thinking these days a lot of them are erring on the side of caution.  At least once a game I usually see one Sox pitch well inside the zone that is called a ball.  Pitches in the black may or may not get called strikes.  Normally there will be a few umpires with liberal strike zones, but not lately.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Straight fastballs is what I saw.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Adam Rosales and the Oakland A's got screwed last night vs. the Indians.  It was suppose to be a game-tying homer in the 9th.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Adam Rosales and the Oakland A's got screwed last night vs. the Indians.  It was suppose to be a game-tying homer in the 9th.  

I didn't see it.

It must have been close, if replay couldn't get it right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Webster didn't have solid command last night. When your a little wild, like he was, your not getting the close calls.

Ill agree though that overall the umpiring this year has been horrendous.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I didn't see it.

Hello ThefourBs   Laughing

Adam's homer hit the rail in the stands several feet above the outfield wall.  

Oh well, at least Francona got another win.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Webster was absolutely terrible. It was a big disappointment , after all the hype about him. Let's not blame the ump. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I didn't see it.

Hello ThefourBs   Laughing

Adam's homer hit the rail in the stands several feet above the outfield wall.  

Oh well, at least Francona got another win.   LOL

Thanks, IC.

That's fairly clear. Did the umps not review it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, they reviewed it and they still blewed it. Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The umpiring this year really seems to have gone downhill-for everyone. That said, I am not going to blame either the umpiring or injuries for any failures that might occur by this Red Sox team this year. Umpires and injuries are a fact of baseball, as is on field performance. If you do not perform you do things like lose five of six games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The umpiring this year  really seems to have gone downhill-for everyone.

maybe I'm wrong mr green but

didn't we hear a lot of people saying the same thing early last yr too

and then things calmed down a bit

maybe if possable, the umps need a longer spring training

also got to wonder how much the umps have fallen

vs how much better the cameras are

that said the only excuse for the blown HR call in clev

video

would be their tv wasn't top of the line or screen needed cleaning

That said, I am not going to blame either the umpiring or injuries for any failures that might occur by this Red Sox team this year. Umpires and injuries are a fact of baseball, as is on field performance. If you do not perform you do things like lose five of six games.

+15

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The umpiring this year  really seems to have gone downhill-for everyone.

maybe I'm wrong mr green but

didn't we hear a lot of people saying the same thing early last yr too

and then things calmed down a bit

maybe if possable, the umps need a longer spring training

also got to wonder how much the umps have fallen

vs how much better the cameras are

that said the only excuse for the blown HR call in clev

video

would be their tv wasn't top of the line or screen needed cleaning

That said, I am not going to blame either the umpiring or injuries for any failures that might occur by this Red Sox team this year. Umpires and injuries are a fact of baseball, as is on field performance. If you do not perform you do things like lose five of six games.

+15

We sure did Zac. Somehow it seems particularly horrible this year. How can they review a HR and STILL get it wrong? The balls and strikes have been bad, but thats always been inaccurate and will be until you call them by computer, but the other calls have been bad-for all teams- as well. I realize nothing is going to get done about it; umpiring will always be inprecise. But when your team is losing it provides another thing to whine about besides the team's performance. Sealed

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yes, they reviewed it and they still blewed it. Smile

Wow...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Umpires are going to make mistakes even after a review. 

But, while I agree we can't blame the home plate umpire last night for Webster's debacle, I also think the topic of balls and strikes and how they are called is worthwhile.

Ted Williams famously said the hardest skill in all of sports is hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely. 

But I think MLB pitchers, especially starters, have a harder task/skill to master--throwing a baseball very hard, hard enough to put their arms/elbows/shoulders/etc at risk, and very accurately.  Hitters only have to hit that ball solidly once or twice a game, but pitchers have to keep throwing 100 or more times a game and with an assortment of curves, cut fastballs, changeups, fastballs, etc toward a very small target made even smaller by having to stay out of the middle.  To be effective, they need to throw strikes 67% of the time, give or take. 

This is why most MLB teams carry 12 pitchers to cover just one position, and in the AL that position doesn't even have to hit. 

The above is why I believe in umpires having liberal strike zones.

But MLB, I believe, prefers small strike zones because they favor hitters, which means more hits and runs and therefore more fan excitement.  For the same reason pitching mounds were lowered decades ago and might be lowered again.  Spitters are gone.  And now encroachment on the size of the strike zone.  Remember, every hitter feels free--including most of our guys--to express displeasure if he doesn't like a call.  That's 9 different guys taking a shot at the ump.  The pitcher and catcher, meanwhile, are expected to remain stoical on called balls inside the strike zone.  Lester griped last year, and this Farrell told him to cool it because the umps are more than happy to seek retribution against griping pitchers. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I think Webster might be tipping his pitches.  

I thought the same thing. When you know whats coming watch out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I said tipping pitches because in both innings the Twins didn't just get on base, they hit him hard even when they flied out.  Almost batting practice--OK, now throw me a fast one, but not on the corner; now a changeup with not too much break and near the middle. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

How come nobody ever starts a "these umpires suck" thread after the Red Sox win?

Threads like these after a lopsided loss only make Red Sox Nation sound like a bunch of crybabies.

This team looked pretty good out of the chute against alot of "also rans", but as the season wears down , we are going to have more nights like this.

You don't fix a mess like this team was in 6 months or a year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

zillagod, this thread is about more than last night.  Plus Webster has looked pretty good before this season and in ST and in his other start for Boston and at Pawtucket this year.  You seem to think last night proved Webster just can't pitch, and I disagree. 

As for the rest of the team, I still think they're pretty good overall.  The rotation still looks pretty good to me with Buchholz, Lester, Dempster, and Lackey.  The lineup is still producing runs to rank them around 3d in the AL. 

I do agree the jury is still out on the whole season and generally that a quick turnaround from last year is a surprise.  But I think it is possible. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

....but the thread did come after a terrible loss........this never looks good.

Sections
Shortcuts