these umpires suck

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: these umpires suck

I try to not be too harsh on the umpires.  I don't think that "The fix is in", I just think they umps have a difficult job to do.  These guys are looking down at pitches at an angle and they have a split second to see and decide whether the pitch is within two separate planes, left/right and up/down.  The inside pitches are easier to call because the ump is over the inside shoulder of the catcher where he  can see the ball, but he's guessing at where the outside pitch is.  And he's somewhat guessing at the elevation plane on every pitch.

I don't particularly care if every pitch the umpire calls a strike is within that two-plane zone but I DO expect the umpire to be consistent. What's a strike on one pitch should be a strike on another pitch regardless of who's throwing it.  I don't even care if it changes from day to day (which is does) as long as it's consistent within the game.

The players DESERVE consistency in umpiring.  The pitcher deserves to know where he can throw the ball for it to be called a strike just as a batter deserves to know which pitches are going to be called strikes.  When the pitchers and hitters don't get this they start guessing. Pitchers guess at where to throw the ball and hitters guess as to whether or not to swing. Those things can and will affect the outcome of a game. 

As Zilla said, nobody starts a "the umps suck" thread after the Sox win and that's because we've been conditioned to think that "it'll all even out".  Well, maybe, but when division championships are decided by one or two games it's entirely possible that somewhere within the 162 game season it didn't even out for one team and it cost them a championship.

MY solution FWIW is for the home plate ump to have a mandatory critiqing session after every game with AMICA (or whatever) pitch zone results being overlaid with the umpire's calls.  Let the umps see what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong in the hope that they'll become more consistent. 

JMO!   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I try to not be too harsh on the umpires.  I don't think that "The fix is in", I just think they umps have a difficult job to do.  These guys are looking down at pitches at an angle and they have a split second to see and decide whether the pitch is within two separate planes, left/right and up/down.  The inside pitches are easier to call because the ump is over the inside shoulder of the catcher where he  can see the ball, but he's guessing at where the outside pitch is.  And he's somewhat guessing at the elevation plane on every pitch.

I don't particularly care if every pitch the umpire calls a strike is within that two-plane zone but I DO expect the umpire to be consistent. What's a strike on one pitch should be a strike on another pitch regardless of who's throwing it.  I don't even care if it changes from day to day (which is does) as long as it's consistent within the game.

The players DESERVE consistency in umpiring.  The pitcher deserves to know where he can throw the ball for it to be called a strike just as a batter deserves to know which pitches are going to be called strikes.  When the pitchers and hitters don't get this they start guessing. Pitchers guess at where to throw the ball and hitters guess as to whether or not to swing. Those things can and will affect the outcome of a game. 

As Zilla said, nobody starts a "the umps suck" thread after the Sox win and that's because we've been conditioned to think that "it'll all even out".  Well, maybe, but when division championships are decided by one or two games it's entirely possible that somewhere within the 162 game season it didn't even out for one team and it cost them a championship.

excellent points S5

MY solution FWIW is for the home plate ump to have a mandatory critiqing session after every game with AMICA (or whatever) pitch zone results being overlaid with the umpire's calls.  Let the umps see what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong in the hope that they'll become more consistent. 

JMO!   

U might want to read this

it's a good read S5

but I got to warn you

bobby v is mentioned ;-)

There's a whole other entity for balls and strikes: the Zone Evaluation system. That was put in every park in 2009 to replace QuesTec, and it measures practically every pitch called by an umpire; batted balls are discarded. Cameras record the pitch in flight more than 20 times before it reaches the plate.

The day after every game, home-plate umpires receive a breakdown of how they did.

"It will tell whether a pitch is 2.6-7 inches outside or 3.4 inches inside, or how many low or how many high," Marsh said. "It will tell them everything about that pitch, plus give them video of it, a graphic of it, where the pitch crossed the plate or didn't cross the plate."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120828&content_id=37468304&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

....but the thread did come after a terrible loss........this never looks good.

Absolutely correct.  Always looks bad when we are griping.  Plus I do think the ump last night was hard on both starters, which is how we got five runs in the first inning and could have gotten more. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would like to see a "Hey,weren't the umps terrific!" thread after the next Red Sox win, where the umps make the bad calls in our favor.

Wouldn't that be a switch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I would like to see a "Hey,weren't the umps terrific!" thread after the next Red Sox win, where the umps make the bad calls in our favor.

Who cares? If they stink they stink after a win OR a loss. And they have made some horrific calls this year. Here is the quote from MLB regarding the HR WHICH WAS REVIEWED and STILL they made the wrong call:

CLEVELAND -- Major League Baseball acknowledges an "improper call" was made by umpires in the ninth inning of a game between the Cleveland Indians and Oakland Athletics.

Umpires failed to reverse a disputed tying home run by Oakland's Adam Rosales after a video review Wednesday. MLB executive vice president Joe Torre says the judgment call by umpire Angel Hernandez and his crew "stands as final."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

There will of course never be a "great job, umps," thread, but I do notice when I think the home plate ump is doing a good job. 

Speaking of which, I think it's normal for there to be inconsistencies between umps and even for the same ump on pitches in exactly the same place.  This especially applies to outside pitches--either on the outside of the plate or outside the strike zone--because it is hard to visualize that area when your eyes are over the shoulder of the catcher and on the inside of the plate.  Another problem for umps is breaking balls near the black--when did the pitch cross or not cross the plane of the plate?  Still another is low pitches--umps can usually see the top of the zone, but not the bottom because they have to visualize it without really seeing it.   

Bottom line:  I can even live with some inconstency by the home plate ump on a given night, but what always frosts me is when his inconsistency favors the other team's pitcher or when he misses a strike well within the strike zone and not just on the black. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This crew couldn't umpire a high major little league game! I thought Jeff Nelson was bad but he was outsucked by Ed Hickok who in turn was outsucked by Lance Barksdale! You wouldn't think it was possible to go from bad to absolutely horrible in three straight games the odds have to be higher than winning the lottery! So to Messrs. Nelson, Hickok and Barksdale Eat manure! You three are the worst umpires in baseball. You three have no piers.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

U might want to read this

it's a good read S5

but I got to warn you

bobby v is mentioned ;-)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120828&content_id=37468304&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Thanks Zac. That's a very good read. Apparently MLB was a couple of years ahead of me. :-) ALthough I still don't feel that I've seen the results of the critiqing of the umps. (but then again, how would I know? LOL)

You may remember that MLB did a special called The Third Team, about the umpires in the playoffs last year. I found that to be very interesting and informative too, although my cynicism made me always aware that the umps were aware of the filming going on.

At the end of the day I DO think the umps do a good job. It's just frustrating to see an ump make a mistake in "crunch time" that may affect the outcome of the game. It's also frustrating to see a call made that's blatantly wrong and could be corrected and the MLB FO refuse to correct it because..... well, just because. (See the A's vs. Indians home run fiasco recently) MLB should have ruled that the umps made a mistake in disallowing the HR and the game was ended when the HR was hit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Who cares? If they stink they stink after a win OR a loss. And they have made some horrific calls this year. Here is the quote from MLB regarding the HR WHICH WAS REVIEWED and STILL they made the wrong call:

CLEVELAND -- Major League Baseball acknowledges an "improper call" was made by umpires in the ninth inning of a game between the Cleveland Indians and Oakland Athletics.

Umpires failed to reverse a disputed tying home run by Oakland's Adam Rosales after a video review Wednesday. MLB executive vice president Joe Torre says the judgment call by umpire Angel Hernandez and his crew "stands as final."

In a 1999 survey conducted by the Major League Baseball Players Association, Hernández was ranked 31st out of 36 National League umpires.[2] However, later that year Hernández was asked to return for the 2000 season while 13 of his NL colleagues were let go. Given his low ranking, the Philadelphia Inquirer termed the retention of Hernández one of the "surprises" of the 1999 purge.[3]

A 2006 Sports Illustrated poll of Major League players listed Hernandez as the third worst umpire in MLB