They signed Dempster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: They signed Dempster

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

"""An NL team.His ability to pitch in the NL has never been questioned. Seriously Stupidity really irks me""                    . Irks me to. If he has a poor year coupled with being another yeay older he's worthless. Tell me how many NL teams offered him a contract this year. ? Want to get honest or keep up the BS??

[/QUOTE]

Really worthless??? This is the same Ryan Dempster that was highly saught after at the trading deadline right??? Im Not BSing you Just stating facts. Hes on a two year deal, If after this year he does bad he has one year left. You mean to tell me that with one year and around 13M left on his contract some NL team wont be willing to take a chance on him and see if he can regain his form back in the NL. Shut the Front door.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know....I really don't see a big deal with the issue.There is nothing great out there.  It's a short deal and not a ton of money.  He is usually good for 200 innings and is a solid #3 pitcher.  A rotation of Lester, Buc, Dempster, Lackey and Dubront with Morales or Aceves doing spot starting could be a lot worse.  In fact..other than Toronto and Detroit...I would take that rotation over any rotation in the East and Central.  We still have all of our draft picks and a solid lineup.  I would obviously love an Ace.....but realistically...MOST TEAMS DO NOT HAVE A REAL ACE!!!  I think if they would go out and get a REAL closer then we may be able to compete.  Defense is a lot better, pitching should be better and if healthy the lineup will produce....

[/QUOTE]

we have plenty of closers in the BP. if bailey can't do it we have bard (pending he has a revival), tazawa, morales, aceves, melancon and even miller (who can get it up there in the 97-98 range).

[/QUOTE]

Yes....there are a lot of good arms...however all are unproven in the closer role.  We had all of those arms last year and our blown saves were well in the teens!  This is a high pressure place to pitch the 9th...many have tried...most failed.  I'm sorry but Melancon, Aceves, Miller and Bard do not exactly give me a lot of confidence.  I also think Morales is built as a 2011 version of Aceves.  Tazawa...maybe...but he is VERY unproven.  Remember the closer by committee experiment before Paps came along??  Need I really say more?? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

APPARENTLY, 52 years of watching baseball means he can never be wrong about anything he says .   Never said that Fluffy,  I said you were cheerleading for a lousy pitching staff.

[/QUOTE]

Cheerleading? Maybe if you werent such a negative nancy all the time you would see that as fans where trying to be optimistic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

No. With his age and a poor season here he''l be luckey to get 5 mil. Fact

[/QUOTE]

don't argue with him. hes been a fan since 1960!!

who do you think you are?! I AM!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yea and you know right. All bow down, Darryl fries is here to bless us with his baseball intelect. ALL HAIL DARRYLFRIES!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't know....I really don't see a big deal with the issue.There is nothing great out there.  It's a short deal and not a ton of money.  He is usually good for 200 innings and is a solid #3 pitcher.  A rotation of Lester, Buc, Dempster, Lackey and Dubront with Morales or Aceves doing spot starting could be a lot worse.  In fact..other than Toronto and Detroit...I would take that rotation over any rotation in the East and Central.  We still have all of our draft picks and a solid lineup.  I would obviously love an Ace.....but realistically...MOST TEAMS DO NOT HAVE A REAL ACE!!!  I think if they would go out and get a REAL closer then we may be able to compete.  Defense is a lot better, pitching should be better and if healthy the lineup will produce....

[/QUOTE]

we have plenty of closers in the BP. if bailey can't do it we have bard (pending he has a revival), tazawa, morales, aceves, melancon and even miller (who can get it up there in the 97-98 range).

[/QUOTE]

Yes....there are a lot of good arms...however all are unproven in the closer role.  We had all of those arms last year and our blown saves were well in the teens!  This is a high pressure place to pitch the 9th...many have tried...most failed.  I'm sorry but Melancon, Aceves, Miller and Bard do not exactly give me a lot of confidence.  I also think Morales is built as a 2011 version of Aceves.  Tazawa...maybe...but he is VERY unproven.  Remember the closer by committee experiment before Paps came along??  Need I really say more?? 

[/QUOTE]

how do you prove yourself if you don't have a trial by fire? i think baliey is the guy but i'm not worried if he doesn't turn out to be the guy we thought he was.. between all the great pitchers in our BP SOMEONE in there can close.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yea and you know right. All bow down, Darryl fries is here to bless us with his baseball intelect. ALL HAIL DARRYLFRIES!!

[/QUOTE]

HAIL!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

i wwould have been much happier with sanhcez

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

how do you prove yourself if you don't have a trial by fire? i think baliey is the guy but i'm not worried if he doesn't turn out to be the guy we thought he was.. between all the great pitchers in our BP SOMEONE in there can close.

[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you on that one.  I think trial by fire is the way to go.  I do think Bailey is the guy....he just doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence as of yet......but heck...if he proves me wrong then I'll be happy to eat crow!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i wwould have been much happier with sanhcez

[/QUOTE]

Really you would have been happy with sanchez at/around the neighborhood of 6/120.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox will be fine. Take a deep breath--anybody and everybody is tradeable. Depmpster is a pro; would you rather have Cook starting? Dempster will keep them in games and throw a lot of innings. 

Just give it time we haven't seen a countdown to ST yet. Watch the Hot Stove Show tonight --that should get you all juiced up!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

Thank. But I get that all the time save it for BC when we win the WS this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Your really are a piece of work Darryl.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd been happier with Wake.   We could have saved 11 mil or so.

[/QUOTE]

Tim fckin wakefield... You've got to be kidding!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox will be fine. Take a deep breath--anybody and everybody is tradeable. Depmpster is a pro; would you rather have Cook starting? Dempster will keep them in games and throw a lot of innings. 

Just give it time we haven't seen a countdown to ST yet. Watch the Hot Stove Show tonight --that should get you all juiced up!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Good to see another poster thats optimistic. All these negative nancys can really wear on you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good to see another poster thats optimistic. All these negative nancys can really wear on you.

[/QUOTE]

they've got nothing better to do than cry about the sox over the internet

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

wow I hate this signing.  Who on here would trade Dempster and Victorino for Hamilton?  Anybody?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

they've got nothing better to do than cry about the sox over the internet

[/QUOTE]

Nothing is ever good enough. You have the sox fans that want the red sox to be cheap(Softlaw) And then you have the fans that want the red sox to sign EVERY big name FA on the market(Darrylfries and countless others) no matter the cost. The sox this offseason have been around the middle. Not Spending a boatload of money but not signing total garbage.And yet The complaing still continues.. Personally i just want the sox to field a team that has heart, As long as they give it thier all im happy(win or loose). Sure id Like to win another WS but i know thats unlikely.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Cubs just signed Anibal Sanchez.  Even the Cubs are beating us out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Reports are its in the neighborhood of 5/75. I know everyone is scared over giving out John lackey money but i would have been ok with the sox Offering 5/85. I guess theo still has a soft spot for anibal. The cubs are def a surprise destination.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Reports are its in the neighborhood of 5/75. I know everyone is scared over giving out John lackey money but i would have been ok with the sox Offering 5/85. I guess theo still has a soft spot for anibal. The cubs are def a surprise destination.

[/QUOTE]

Sanchez is not the greatest , but certainly better than Dempster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Sanchez is not the greatest , but certainly better than Dempster.

Anibal Sanchez apparently is $48.5 million better than Ryan Dempster (although only $1.75 million per season better over the next two years).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

okay internet tough guy......you support the move?

[/QUOTE]

internet tough guy? i wasn't aware that i threatened you over the internet the way a tough guy would.

i don't support the move but i'm not bashing the move. the sox had a plan for the pitching since there are no aces available, get a dependable guy who will give you 30 starts and 200 innings. dempster will do that for us. the quality of those innings remains to be seen but I cant judge until i see him in action in 2013.

@PG: seems you vastly underestimate our pitching staff. but it fits your MO so theres no bother in debating it with you.

[/QUOTE]

Gee, I don't know any other way to interpret finishing 12th of the 14 AL teams last year in ERA. How would you interpret that?