Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Think this through...

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2012/08/27/red-sox-need-trade-dustin-pedroia

well thought out article:

check the whole thing.
    here is a tiny piece

" Dustin Pedroia has lingering injury issues with his thumb. He played 75 games two years ago and will probably finish around 135 this season. He's having his least productive (full) season of his career. You can make the case that is largely due to playing hurt, but that's not the best argument when trying to land a $100 million deal for a 32-year-old player. 

Look, if Pedroia was just finishing a six-year, $100 million contact, he would have been worth the dough. But that's where teams get tricked up all the time. The Sox should be focused on paying only for future performance, not handing out deals to thank players for what they did in their prime. It's swell that Pedroia was an MVP, Rookie of the Year, world series winner, All-Star, all that stuff. But that doesn't mean he's going to do it all again when he's 35 years old, and it's sure not worth risking at $16 million a year. The history suggests that it's just not going to work out.

But someone surely will. A former MVP -- still in his prime -- would be viewed as a game-changing addition by some teams (and would help with ticket sales and TV ratings and be a winner with the press, which all sounds kind of familiar). Could Cherington move Pedroia for a quality starting pitcher, younger and under club control? "

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR...

Dustin Pedroia at No. 34 was the only Red Sox player to appear on the list of Top 50 trade values prepared in July by FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-trade-value-35-31/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR...

In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR:
    [QUOTE]Dustin Pedroia at No. 34 was the only Red Sox player to appear on the list of Top 50 trade values prepared in July by FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-trade-value-35-31/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

so thoughts on teh possibility

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : so thoughts on teh possibility
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Pedroia is not on my list of untradeables, but it would take a haul to get him. He is cheap now and for the next few years. It would take a lot of good young pitching to let him go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : Pedroia is not on my list of untradeables, but it would take a haul to get him. He is cheap now and for the next few years. It would take a lot of good young pitching to let him go.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

nice points pumpsie. but if you wait to end of his contract

1. his health and value may diminish (i doubt his value is ever higher than offseason)

2. he may push for a new contract beginning next year 9teh year before his contract is set to end. y9ou odont want a pissed pedey...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : nice points pumpsie. but if you wait to end of his contract 1. his health and value may diminish (i doubt his value is ever higher than offseason) 2. he may push for a new contract beginning next year 9teh year before his contract is set to end. y9ou odont want a pissed pedey...

The health of ANY player can diminish. And any player can try to get a new contract. I don't mind trading him for great pitching, but not for some other position player or mediocre pitching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

The Sox have a decent replacement in Ciriaco.  And they have a huge hole to fill in their rotation.  If Pedroia can bring a Matt Garza type starter, even if the contract inherited is for a bit more, they have to consider it.  Starting pitching is the problem for this team.  The amount of offense they lose by switching to Ciriaco at 2b and Iglesias/Aviles at SS is not that crippling, IMO.  I have been saying this for some time now (really since Pedroia told Bobby V that "that is not how we do things around here.") and I totally agree with the article author's view on Pedroia's value going forward.  Trading now brings the most in return and mitigates the eventual cost.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Sorry guys, I'm on the other end in thia argument.  Dustin Pedroia is the heart and soul of our team and if the team "becomes his team" when all the other old vets are done and gone his special attributes of hard nosed playing and leaving it all out on the field is something we can not do without.  Ciriaco has done very well, but keep in mind that he was a career minor leaguer and we have to be careful he may just be a flash in the pan an one year wonder.  Besides, we can play him at shortstop because Aviles is better as a utility man and Iglesias simply is a miserable hitter and we already have a weak one now playing first base in Baloney Loney, and who knows who plays LF for us next season.

In my opinion unless we get a King Felix in exchange we don't move Pedey anywhere.  He is to me a career Red Sox player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox have a decent replacement in Ciriaco.  And they have a huge hole to fill in their rotation.  If Pedroia can bring a Matt Garza type starter, even if the contract inherited is for a bit more, they have to consider it.  Starting pitching is the problem for this team.  The amount of offense they lose by switching to Ciriaco at 2b and Iglesias/Aviles at SS is not that crippling, IMO.  I have been saying this for some time now (really since Pedroia told Bobby V that "that is not how we do things around here.") and I totally agree with the article author's view on Pedroia's value going forward.  Trading now brings the most in return and mitigates the eventual cost.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

yes that is the very storng point.
    not sure about garza

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Hope he can bring someone better than a Garza.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I say trade him now, and look to get 2 SP Prospects and a 1B prospect.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : Pedroia is not on my list of untradeables, but it would take a haul to get him. He is cheap now and for the next few years. It would take a lot of good young pitching to let him go.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

thats the idea and the title of the thread (for a starter)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Could Cherington move Pedroia for a quality starting pitcher, No, but he could pay 12 million to get a group of bums. The recent write off of Crawford and Beckett has casued hysteria. Pedroia isn't expensive for what he brings: Top effort Excellent fielding Above average overall plate work Ellsbury's the guy who needs to go. I like that 2nd homer, tonight. That should really make the DBacks GM get really excited.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

do you now how old he will be wehn this contract is up. really check out the article. he can bring someting good this offseason. wehn his contract his over, his abilities will be declining, but his slary will be through the roof

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox have a decent replacement in Ciriaco.  And they have a huge hole to fill in their rotation.  If Pedroia can bring a Matt Garza type starter, even if the contract inherited is for a bit more, they have to consider it.  Starting pitching is the problem for this team.  The amount of offense they lose by switching to Ciriaco at 2b and Iglesias/Aviles at SS is not that crippling, IMO.  I have been saying this for some time now (really since Pedroia told Bobby V that "that is not how we do things around here.") and I totally agree with the article author's view on Pedroia's value going forward.  Trading now brings the most in return and mitigates the eventual cost.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]
    Decent replacement? I'm a good utility player, but I'm no Dustin Pedroia. Leave me out of this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : Decent replacement? I'm a good utility player, but I'm no Dustin Pedroia. Leave me out of this.
    Posted by TheRealPedroCiriaco[/QUOTE]

dustin pedroia wont be dustin pedroia in 5 years. you wanna pay 80-100 mill for what he will be?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : dustin pedroia wont be dustin pedroia in 5 years. you wanna pay 80-100 mill for what he will be?
    Why are we talking about Dustin Pedroia in five years? We have him signed for two more years and an option. We can worry about him three years from now. I won't even be in baseball by then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : Why are we talking about Dustin Pedroia in five years? We have him signed for two more years and an option. We can worry about him three years from now. I won't even be in baseball by then.

you gotta read teh thread and preferably the article too.
    because he is never going to be worth more than now.
    because in a yer he may be looking for a big contract renegiotiation for big $
    15-18 mil 5 years territory.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealPedroCiriaco. Show TheRealPedroCiriaco's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : you gotta read teh thread and preferably the article too. because he is never going to be worth more than now. because in a yer he may be looking for a big contract renegiotiation for big $ 15-18 mil 5 years territory.
    This is baseball, not football. He can't hold out for more money. Contracts are not renegotiated. He can play the next two to three years and we can let him go as a free agent while making a qualifying offer. Or maybe he bounces back, wins a few more MVPs, and we pay for that. In three years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : This is baseball, not football. He can't hold out for more money. Contracts are not renegotiated. He can play the next two to three years and we can let him go as a free agent while making a qualifying offer. Or maybe he bounces back, wins a few more MVPs, and we pay for that. In three years.

i hear you have a plan too. first, i didnt say he would hold out. i said he could ask for/pess  for a contract and be pissed if he doenst get it.

"wins a few more MVPs, and we pay for that."

with or without the mvps, we will have to pay for PAST PERFORMANCE IN THE NEW CONTRACT.

this i do not like. and he will comand those dollars because hes pedroia.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

2 different takes. i get that.
    cheers

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Let's trade Pedroia, so that the Sox can officially be Bostucket next year. What the hell, the fans don't give a hoot. They just want to send away every possible link to the last WS title and any remote chance of ever winning again in the next decade. I've never seen a group of fans so completely lost in fiscal jubilee than this Harvard-Yale bunch on this board. If you deal every All-Star and all you have left is non All-Stars and Hope-to-Bes, you can't win. You see WS titles are often bought, often store-bought and often all about your free agent signings and 04 was especially as store-bought as they come with 07 being a combo of an incredible young class and store-bought--Papelbon, Lester, Pedroia, Youkilis and Ellsbury all part of that class....Yup, TRADE THE TEAM AND KEEP THE IDIOT MANAGER!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

By the way, there are no Lesters, Pedroias, Papelbons and Ellsburys on their way in from the Clown Car. Middlebrooks takes over for Youkilis and that's it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Let's trade Pedroia, so that the Sox can officially be Bostucket next year. What the hell, the fans don't give a hoot. They just want to send away every possible link to the last WS title and any remote chance of ever winning again in the next decade. I've never seen a group of fans so completely lost in fiscal jubilee than this Harvard-Yale bunch on this board. If you deal every All-Star and all you have left is non All-Stars and Hope-to-Bes, you can't win. You see WS titles are often bought, often store-bought and often all about your free agent signings and 04 was especially as store-bought as they come with 07 being a combo of an incredible young class and store-bought--Papelbon, Lester, Pedroia, Youkilis and Ellsbury all part of that class....Yup, TRADE THE TEAM AND KEEP THE IDIOT MANAGER!!!!!
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

your opinon registered. haven't heard too many others characterize it this way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Dustin Made a comment after his first deal, after his ROY, GG, SS award etc..
    Folks asked why he didnt ask for or get more and settle for 40mm.
    He said something like...What can I do with 100mm that I cant do with 40? I dont need a bentley. But is my family set up for the rest of thier lives? You bet they are...
    I dont think he would try to break the bank...Hes a throwback who I believe would retire here if he could...