Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR...

In Response to Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR:
    [QUOTE]http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2012/08/27/red-sox-need-trade-dustin-pedroia well thought out article: check the whole thing. here is a tiny piece "   Dustin Pedroia   has lingering injury issues with his thumb. He played 75 games two years ago and will probably finish around 135 this season. He's having his least productive (full) season of his career. You can make the case that is largely due to playing hurt, but that's not the best argument when trying to land a $100 million deal for a 32-year-old player.  Look, if Pedroia was just finishing a six-year, $100 million contact, he would have been worth the dough. But that's where teams get tricked up all the time. The Sox should be focused on paying only for future performance , not handing out deals to thank players for what they did in their prime. It's swell that Pedroia was an MVP, Rookie of the Year, world series  winner, All-Star, all that stuff. But that doesn't mean he's going to do it all again when he's 35 years old, and it's sure not worth risking at $16 million a year. The history suggests that it's just not going to work out. But someone surely will. A former MVP -- still in his prime -- would be viewed as a game-changing addition by some teams (and would help with ticket sales and TV ratings and be a winner with the press, which all sounds kind of familiar). Could Cherington move Pedroia for a quality starting pitcher, younger and under club control? "
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

In contention for dumbest post I've read in a long time.  Pedroia is financially friendly for the Sox for the next three years and busts his azz.  You and Kirk Minihane have been huffing too much of the company glue lately...  You're not going to get King Felix in return so stop the illusions of grandeur.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR...

In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR:
    [QUOTE]xdrive, that is correct. The issue of Pedroia, 2 years from now, isn't really an issue. The Red Sox should evaluate Pedroia with age in mind. If he won't agree to a new deal that provides reasonable value for those 30's years, move on. The notion that "it's time to trade him" is hysteria. He isn't going to net back Felix, and who wants the other bums being bandied about as that every 5 days savior for the Red Sox.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

And even if he would net Felix...

Pedroia for 3 years at ~7M
    Felix for 2 years at 20M

Felix is NOT a lock to repeat his Seattle numbers in Boston.  The year to year variability is very high for pitchers.  Much higher than for position players.

First of all, I'm not sure I do the deal straight up.  Pitching is a crapshoot.
    Second of all, the people who are screaming trade Pedroia now so we wont have a difficult decision in 3 years (which I agree is complete hysteria) would be saying (if Felix was here) in 2 years, we're going to have to give a pitcher who is 28 with a TON of miles on his arm 20M / year for 5+ years.  Because we may not want to do this, we should trade Felix now.

Right??

Guys 3 years of Pedroia at his current rate is great value.  More valuable than anything we'd get back in a trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR:
    [QUOTE] yields an established pitcher Santana, Lackey, Lee are just a few "established pitchers". Please name the "estabilished pitchers", as you define them for Red Sox trade acquisition purposes. This should be good.

Cheer up son!  Nice way to cherry pick the post.  If you can't appreciate that the Sox admitted their mistake in free spending and overpaying on some guys who didn't fit here, then what would you have done?  The Dodgers took Gonzalez and two other guys who have been hurt, unproductive and overpaid  and got prospects to try and turn things around by either developing them or turning them into a sure thing player. 

What would you have done?  This should be good...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : hes not going to take the same money as he has now. it would be an insult more importantly. hes our best shot at getting quality pitching and  how much longer would he continue to perform at a high level? they are building for the future so if we knew pedey could produce highly over the next 7 years (i think he begins to declne mext year or the year after) and if we could get top pitching prospects somehow without giving up anyone we need for the future without giving up pedey, maybe. but im goin to say the odds are not in that favor. i love pedey, but if we can improve the team more for the next 5 years, by moving on from him. im willing to go that route. 
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I didnt say he would take the same  contract. I said he wouldnt try to break the bank...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]You folks kill me. Not ONE ounce of loyalty to the team. get rid of this one trade that one. Why don't you root for the Yanks who buy every piece they need.
    Posted by xcaliber[/QUOTE]

Thats what Im saying...You have to keep a core and Pedey is the kind of player that you keep IMO...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]good post, Hetch. Yeah, I'm not a fan of dumping the most highly sought out FA that the Sox desperately had to have over a Beltre-3B and Youkilis-1B corner infield. So instead, we have none of them now.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny, 

At the time I was in favor of bringing in Agon but hindsight is great. If they had kept Youk at first he may never have been beset by injuries that slowed him down and getting rid of Beltre was just plain dumb. No other way to put it, I wasn't in favor of letting go when they did and although V-Mart wasn't a great catcher his defense might be as good as Salty's and his hitting more than made up for any hitting deficiencies. 

Now that Roger is making a comeback the should consider bringing back V-Tek with him. LOL of course !! I don't understand why Roger would want to come back at 50 years of age, pure foolishness and ego I guess. 

Hetch 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't understand why Roger would want to come back at 50 years of age, pure foolishness and ego I guess.  Hetch 
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Ego is definitely an option.  Boredom is another.  The more cynical options are A) he believes that if he somehow manages to pitch well at 50 that people will assign less of his success to PEDs or B) he wants to delay his HOF eligibility such that the PED issue is more in the past when he becomes eligible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry guys, I'm on the other end in thia argument.  Dustin Pedroia is the heart and soul of our team and if the team "becomes his team" when all the other old vets are done and gone his special attributes of hard nosed playing and leaving it all out on the field is something we can not do without.  Ciriaco has done very well, but keep in mind that he was a career minor leaguer and we have to be careful he may just be a flash in the pan an one year wonder.  Besides, we can play him at shortstop because Aviles is better as a utility man and Iglesias simply is a miserable hitter and we already have a weak one now playing first base in Baloney Loney, and who knows who plays LF for us next season. In my opinion unless we get a King Felix in exchange we don't move Pedey anywhere.  He is to me a career Red Sox player.
    Posted by seabeachfred[/QUOTE]

not much heart or soul there this yr seabf...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If the Sox trade Pedroia, suffice to say you'd probably have 85 percent of this forum cheering it on like he's just another Hunger Games casualty. I get tired of the player hate--generated in my opinion partially by the way the Sox PR spin machine allows certain subject matter to be leaked on many occasions. It's like they throw out a nice little fish so that the sharks in the media immediately go to work devouring the little fish...the little fish being the "leak." or the "rumor" from its always an unnamed Sox staffer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Name me a Red Sox, even now who left Boston on good terms? Certainly not any of the four guys traded to the Dodgers..All left with bad terms or things said/done that indicate the organization and the fans had voted them off the Sox Nation Island.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Think this through Instead of a Knee Jerk Reaction: article Below about Trading Pedey for Pitching, before he DECLINES OR DEMANDS 15+ MIL PER YEAR : In contention for dumbest post I've read in a long time.  Pedroia is financially friendly for the Sox for the next three years and busts his azz.  You and Kirk Minihane have been huffing too much of the company glue lately...  You're not going to get King Felix in return so stop the illusions of grandeur.
    Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

i have no idea where you got felix out of any of my posts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The irony is that it is this thread that is the knee jerk reaction.

really? i would call it thoughtfully exploring options with foresight.
    but thanks for the opinon

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not against trading anyone for a great pitcher, but given the money we just saved in contracts, why would we have to go that route to get a quality player?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]No one wants that Garza from the bottom of the Crookedtown dumpster.

this i agree with you on

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]You folks kill me. Not ONE ounce of loyalty to the team. get rid of this one trade that one. Why don't you root for the Yanks who buy every piece they need.
    Posted by xcaliber[/QUOTE]

i guess you know me???
    a person crsuhed dewey evans was gotten rid of after his whole career in boston and when he was actually producing.

on second thought maybe you dont know me.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]im not against trading anyone for a great pitcher, but given the money we just saved in contracts, why would we have to go that route to get a quality player?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

again im tinking ahead re pedeys likely play into his next contract And OUR NEED for pitching if we want to contend again eventually

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]Cheer up son!  Nice way to cherry pick the post.  If you can't appreciate that the Sox admitted their mistake in free spending and overpaying on some guys who didn't fit here, then what would you have done?  The Dodgers took Gonzalez and two other guys who have been hurt, unproductive and overpaid  and got prospects to try and turn things around by either developing them or turning them into a sure thing player.  What would you have done?  This should be good... Just as I thought, you ducked the question. Again, I ask again, name the "established pitcher(s)" that the Red Sox should be acquiring. This should be good. In fact, Red Sox ownership did the "admitting of the mistakes". Appreciate it? Are you joking? No, I don't appreciate the embarrassing write off. I would have kept AGon and Crawford, and sent 12 million to get rid of Beckett's last 2.4 years. I would have used a pool of players including Ellsbury, Salty, Aviles and 2 or 3 prospects not named Barnes and Bradley, Jr. to acquire J. Upton. Now, tell me what you are going to do for 2013. I'm still waiting on that "established pitcher" name. The Red Sox have Buchholz and Lester and Lackey and Doubrant, four "established pitchers". They need to use the expensive tool box they already have before chasing the next "established Lackey".

I ducked nothing.  I made a blanket statement that the Sox would either try to develop the prospects they acquired or try to move them/some of their own for a veteran pitcher.  I don't scour the rosters to see who is nearing FA or is a year or 2 closer to Arb.  It was about as blanket a statement as you can make about how the Sox might approach adding another pitcher in the future.  You cherry picked one sentence without reaally thinking about what the post was saying so you could make yourself look like you're the authority on all things baseball.  Have at it my friend, just take a deep breath and take this place for what it is. 

BTW, Santana, Lackey, and Lee were all acquired as free agents and not via trade.  So call them FA busts, but they weren't acquired for young talent.   Pitchers who were acquired by the Sox for prospects?  Pedro, Schilling and Beckett come to mind, and despite Beckett's failings of late, he was worth Hanley for at least a couple of years and 1 WS. 

Sections
Shortcuts