This Fat Cat Ace has let us all down....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This Fat Cat Ace has let us all down....

Complaints, regrets.....

Post 'em below....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Re: This Fat Cat Ace has let us all down....

Lester and ace in the same sentence is a joke. Not a ace and never has been. Nough said. Our aces our in the farm system -workman, webster, barnes etc etc etc

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:

Lester and ace in the same sentence is a joke. Not a ace and never has been. Nough said. Our aces our in the farm system -workman, webster, barnes etc etc etc

Its yet to be determined if any of those 3 are true "Aces". If I had to guess, Id say no. Thats not to say they cant be very valuable and productive MLB pitcher, or that Im wrong. They havent proved anything in MLB yet though. Workman has looked good so far. Webster, not so much and has had control issues throughout his MiL career. Barnes still isnt adjusted to the AA level yet. Time will tell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

With Lester, there have been some highs and some lows. But overall , he has been pretty mediocre for quite some time now. Sooner or later , you have to consistently produce. You can't just live off of your reputation. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Season ERA: 4.52. Nuff said.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Listening to the game on Radio tonight at work, tell you it was ridiculous how much time Lester takes between Pitches. Wonder when he is on, he quickens his pace.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Next, someone will blame Beckett.

Oh, wait...

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I hope BenC does not extend "Les is more" as Cashman did with CC. CC lost last night now is 9-10 and his contract will pay him $23 M then $25 M through I think 2017.

I hope he's not hurt or ill, his post game Q n' A is like going to the dentist and waiting for the novacaine to set in--slow and measured.

The kids will be here soon enough--a whole new philosophy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Agree that Lester wasn't very good last night but the other pitcher wasn't either.  When a team scores more than 5 runs each it definitely isn't a sign of good pitching. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Next, someone will blame Beckett.

Oh, wait...

Sox4ever

Ah yes, Beckett. The original Fat Cat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Say Lester goes 4 innings and gives up 6 runs but fights back his next start and goes 7 and gives up 1 run his supporters will argue (sing praise) that Lester averages 5.5 innings per start and only allows 3 runs per game..... 

They disregard that each start is important rather than the average. He gave his team zero chance to win today.

What's lost on many is that as Lester continues to reinvent himself he will struggle at times with his command and the results will be less than. Fact of the matter is that we the fans of the Red Sox have come to expect him to pitch like an ace, when in fact he's struggled to pitch like a quality #3 for the better part of two seasons. 

The question that begs to be asked and answered by Farrel and Nieves is do they feel like once he finds his rhythm is his stuff good enough to consistently get out big league hitters. I think the answer is yes. In the end the only way we're going to find out is to give him the ball every five days and trust that he'll break through. The guys healthy, still pops the radar gun with a plus fastball and from all I've read works hard between starts.

Bottom line is we don't need Lester to pitch at a CY young level...we do need him to take the ball every five days and give us quality innings and keep us in the game. Something he's managed to do in only 4 of his last 10 starts. If we look at the glass as half full. The good news is that his trend of late has been just that...all four of his quality starts in the last ten have come in the last month. If we look at it as half empty then we can bury the guy for a less than performance in a game that we scored 6 and lost with him only giving us 4 sub par innings on a day when the Rays lost and we could have picked up a game in the standings. 

Clearly Jon Lester is at a crossroad in his career with only one year left on his current deal with the Sox. As he looks to the future he has 10 starts left this year to prove to himself, the Red Sox and any future employer that he still can be a top of the rotation starter. My guess is that Farrel will give him every opportunity in the next month to prove just that. For some perspective even the otherworldly Justin Verlander is not amune to struggling with finding his rythem, like Lester has started 23 games for the Tigers and his numbers this year are very similar to Lester's. The only difference between the two is that Verlanders ERA is a respectable 3.88. Lester has a better WHIP 1.37 to Verlanders 1.41 but has surrendered 18 dingers to Verlanders 12 alibi while pitching in a hitter friendly park. I'm not suggesting that Verlander will continue to struggle and find himself a year from today in a similar position with the Tigers. Merely that Lester is not the only guy in the big leagues that is struggling. need to look no further than New York to see panther example...CC Sabathia or even Tampa where Hellickson hasn't exactly been lights out this year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

Say Lester goes 4 innings and gives up 6 runs but fights back his next start and goes 7 and gives up 1 run his supporters will argue (sing praise) that Lester averages 5.5 innings per start and only allows 3 runs per game..... 

They disregard that each start is important rather than the average. He gave his team zero chance to win today.

What's lost on many is that as Lester continues to reinvent himself he will struggle at times with his command and the results will be less than. Fact of the matter is that we the fans of the Red Sox have come to expect him to pitch like an ace, when in fact he's struggled to pitch like a quality #3 for the better part of two seasons. 

The question that begs to be asked and answered by Farrel and Nieves is do they feel like once he finds his rhythm is his stuff good enough to consistently get out big league hitters. I think the answer is yes. In the end the only way we're going to find out is to give him the ball every five days and trust that he'll break through. The guys healthy, still pops the radar gun with a plus fastball and from all I've read works hard between starts.

Bottom line is we don't need Lester to pitch at a CY young level...we do need him to take the ball every five days and give us quality innings and keep us in the game. Something he's managed to do in only 4 of his last 10 starts. If we look at the glass as half full. The good news is that his trend of late has been just that...all four of his quality starts in the last ten have come in the last month. If we look at it as half empty then we can bury the guy for a less than performance in a game that we scored 6 and lost with him only giving us 4 sub par innings on a day when the Rays lost and we could have picked up a game in the standings. 

Clearly Jon Lester is at a crossroad in his career with only one year left on his current deal with the Sox. As he looks to the future he has 10 starts left this year to prove to himself, the Red Sox and any future employer that he still can be a top of the rotation starter. My guess is that Farrel will give him every opportunity in the next month to prove just that. For some perspective even the otherworldly Justin Verlander is not amune to struggling with finding his rythem, like Lester has started 23 games for the Tigers and his numbers this year are very similar to Lester's. The only difference between the two is that Verlanders ERA is a respectable 3.88. Lester has a better WHIP 1.37 to Verlanders 1.41 but has surrendered 18 dingers to Verlanders 12 alibi while pitching in a hitter friendly park. I'm not suggesting that Verlander will continue to struggle and find himself a year from today in a similar position with the Tigers. Merely that Lester is not the only guy in the big leagues that is struggling. need to look no further than New York to see panther example...CC Sabathia or even Tampa where Hellickson hasn't exactly been lights out this year...

[/QUOTE]

Because little joey on the other team struggles it's ok for Lester? It's ok to be average when your the so-called ACE. it's ok to struggle all or most of year .as long as you find it before your last game. This fat cat has let his team down. Look no further then at the fat cat not at whats happening in  NY,TB,DET .. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because little joey on the other team struggles it's ok for Lester? It's ok to be average when your the so-called ACE. it's ok to struggle all or most of year .as long as you find it before your last game. This fat cat has let his team down. Look no further then at the fat cat not at whats happening in  NY,TB,DET .. 

[/QUOTE]

It's called perspective. Lester is struggling and has now for the better part of two seasons. I think it's time for everyone to get over the "ace" expectations and accept the fact that he's trying to rework himself and in the process will struggle. You seemed to think or are implying that he's doing so with intent. You're referring to him as a "Fat cat" paints everything your write with a negative bias. In the end if he's in fact not working hard and doing his side work to the satisfaction of the mananger and pitching coach. Then i would probably question his motives and the leadership of Farrel & Nieves. However by all accounts written and in any interviews I've seen never have I once heard anyone question Lester's commitment or work ethic in trying to figure out why he's struggling. Also given that he's also at the end of his deal and has a 13m option for next year riding on his results with free agency looming...don't you think that would be in and of itself enough motivation to drive the kid to work his azz off. 

I'm certain that you yourself have always been a model of consistency and have never struggled in your daily work duties. It must be nice. The rest of us mere mortals wish we could be so lucky.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Complaints, regrets.....

Post 'em below....

At this point Lester is our third or fourth best pitcher.  I have always liked Jon and never wanted to trade him but for two years he has been overwieght in my opinion.  Would being in better shape help him regain his form?  Not sure, but it's quite obvious to most of us who watched him in the past.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

At one time, Lester has "ace" potential - but that potential has been left unfullfilled for since September 2011.  Once again, he needed him to come up big - not necessarily win, but to eat some innings, save the bullpen, keep us in the game.  As soon as we got the lead, he gave it up.  It's been the same story for a long time.  He's most assuredly not our "ace," and I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a solid number 3 pitcher - and he should be paid such.  While I understand that the game of baseball is an "ebb and flow, up and down" endeavor - Lester's not even been mediocre.  You can't blame the lineup - they're producing - he's not, so it's on him - end of story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lester is struggling and has now for the better part of two seasons. I think it's time for everyone to get over the "ace" expectations and accept the fact that he's trying to rework himself and in the process will struggle

I sure hope that unless he is the fifth best SP on next year's staff he struggles and reworks himself on someone else's team. I have had a gutfull of performances out of Jon Lester like the egg he laid last night. We need a consistent good #3 SP, and Lester is not that guy. Hasn't been that guy for two years. And he never will be that guy again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Lester is struggling and has now for the better part of two seasons. I think it's time for everyone to get over the "ace" expectations and accept the fact that he's trying to rework himself and in the process will struggle

I sure hope that unless he is the fifth best SP on next year's staff he struggles and reworks himself on someone else's team. I have had a gutfull of performances out of Jon Lester like the egg he laid last night. We need a consistent good #3 SP, and Lester is not that guy. Hasn't been that guy for two years. And he never will be that guy again.

======================================

Pumpsie---don't want to get off course much with personal stuff but in another post you asked where I live in Marin.  You mentioned once you live in Novato. I've played in USTA tennis matches over the years at the Rolling Hills Club and in the public  courts in Pioneer Park. My wife likes the Designer Shoe Warehouse at the Vintage Oaks mall while I enjoy a beer and watching some sports on the many TV at the Moylan Pub on Rowland.

SF Giants helped us out last night so that at least we didn't lose any ground but with Bumgarner that may have been their only chance for a win---hope not !

Geez, last night all Lester had to do was pitch an average game, 6-7 hits and 3-4 runs but 11 hits/6 runs...wow !  And this .500 team had 16 to our 9 hits and just a key hit in the 8th or 9th we could have won being outhit by 6-7 hits. Incredible that we were only 1 run behind. 

I haven't studied the stats but I think Lester gets to 4-5 innings before he weakens. I wonder if he could be used as a middle inning reliever---6th through 8th perhaps ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Pumpsie---don't want to get off course much with personal stuff but in another post you asked where I live in Marin.  You mentioned once you live in Novato. I've played in USTA tennis matches over the years at the Rolling Hills Club and in the public  courts in Pioneer Park. My wife likes the Designer Shoe Warehouse at the Vintage Oaks mall while I enjoy a beer and watching some sports on the many TV at the Moylan Pub on Rowland.

SF Giants helped us out last night so that at least we didn't lose any ground but with Bumgarner that may have been their only chance for a win---hope not !

Geez, last night all Lester had to do was pitch an average game, 6-7 hits and 3-4 runs but 11 hits/6 runs...wow !  And this .500 team had 16 to our 9 hits and just a key hit in the 8th or 9th we could have won being outhit by 6-7 hits. Incredible that we were only 1 run behind. 

I haven't studied the stats but I think Lester gets to 4-5 innings before he weakens. I wonder if he could be used as a middle inning reliever---6th through 8th perhaps ?

I think I mentioned I live in Marin but wasn't sure where in the Bay area you are at. Moylans has great beer but the food is like Lester pitches (how's that for tying this all together with baseball). I have been an advocate for making Lester a bullpen pitcher if and when CB comes back for a long time. Middle relief sounds about right to me. It would certainly hurt his feelings and frankly, its not going to be done, but it does make sense. Middle relievers are generally the weakest pitchers on the team, and right now, thats what Lester is: one of our worst.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think I mentioned I live in Marin but wasn't sure where in the Bay area you are at. Moylans has great beer but the food is like Lester pitches (how's that for tying this all together with baseball). I have been an advocate for making Lester a bullpen pitcher if and when CB comes back for a long time. Middle relief sounds about right to me. It would certainly hurt his feelings and frankly, its not going to be done, but it does make sense. Middle relievers are generally the weakest pitchers on the team, and right now, thats what Lester is: one of our worst.

[/QUOTE]

OH...We live in Mill Valley !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Of course it's Beckett's false!  There is no doubt.Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's called perspective. Lester is struggling and has now for the better part of two seasons. I think it's time for everyone to get over the "ace" expectations and accept the fact that he's trying to rework himself and in the process will struggle. You seemed to think or are implying that he's doing so with intent. You're referring to him as a "Fat cat" paints everything your write with a negative bias. In the end if he's in fact not working hard and doing his side work to the satisfaction of the mananger and pitching coach. Then i would probably question his motives and the leadership of Farrel & Nieves. However by all accounts written and in any interviews I've seen never have I once heard anyone question Lester's commitment or work ethic in trying to figure out why he's struggling. Also given that he's also at the end of his deal and has a 13m option for next year riding on his results with free agency looming...don't you think that would be in and of itself enough motivation to drive the kid to work his azz off. 

I'm certain that you yourself have always been a model of consistency and have never struggled in your daily work duties. It must be nice. The rest of us mere mortals wish we could be so lucky.

[/QUOTE]

Doing this with intent? You might have something......Lester not doing well, Buch.. the thumb sucking idiot. Beer and chicken? Maybe your on to something. Do you think maybe someone from LA is watching and laughing.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doing this with intent? You might have something......Lester not doing well, Buch.. the thumb sucking idiot. Beer and chicken? Maybe your on to something. Do you think maybe someone from LA is watching and laughing.....

[/QUOTE]

No, but I get a good laugh at all your posts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Lester was projected as a consistent winner, the staff leader,  but at this moment with only 50 games left, he is Mr. inconsistency  by trade... With Buch dancing in the dark and Dempster, Doubront and Lackey in permanent borderline shakiness, Could Peavy be the magic wand by itsfelf?... Doubt it, Peavy, Cliff Lee and a lionhearted Buch back in business would have been the right answer... But keeping the Farm intact was the choice...  So, the rest will be silence, hope we can win a game or two in October...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Lester was projected as a consistent winner, the staff leader,  but at this moment with only 50 games left, he is Mr. inconsistency  by trade... With Buch dancing in the dark and Dempster, Doubront and Lackey in permanent borderline shakiness, Could Peavy be the magic wand by itsfelf?... Doubt it, Peavy, Cliff Lee and a lionhearted Buch back in business would have been the right answer... But keeping the Farm intact was the choice...  So, the rest will be silence, hope we can win a game or two in October...

If we do, the improvement over last year will be astounding.

Sections
Shortcuts