This is for all those who believe it is more important to send players down to the minors just to add control time later in their careers.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to taz1956's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Sorry, Taz, in your example it's in Ryan Westmoreland's best interests, not the Red Sox'.  In your hypothetical example the Sox judged other players better than him at the time, so chose them.  Are you suggesting a team should look at a player they consider not ready then promote him because he might get hurt?  That's absurd.

No I clearly stated that the promotion should only be made if management deem the player ready. I used Ryan as an example because we never know who or when these things happen. Look at Lester wo developed cancer. Recently there has been on ongoing debate and I wanted to point out a logical reason for prompting early if ready.

they do promote a player when he is ready... name me some players recently who they held back in the minors despite being ready. Preferably include some minor league numbers that justify the promotion they never got.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Sorry, Taz, in your example it's in Ryan Westmoreland's best interests, not the Red Sox'.  In your hypothetical example the Sox judged other players better than him at the time, so chose them.  Are you suggesting a team should look at a player they consider not ready then promote him because he might get hurt?  That's absurd.

No I clearly stated that the promotion should only be made if management deem the player ready. I used Ryan as an example because we never know who or when these things happen. Look at Lester wo developed cancer. Recently there has been on ongoing debate and I wanted to point out a logical reason for prompting early if ready.

they do promote a player when he is ready... name me some players recently who they held back in the minors despite being ready. Preferably include some minor league numbers that justify the promotion they never got.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Could you repeat that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

If you want to argue that if a team deems a player ready they should ignore the economic reality of modern baseball and promote him, fine;  I disagree but think that point has some merit.

But to ignore the economic reality because of the .001% chance a player will fall ill or get injured seems silly to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Could you repeat that?

i think i made my point clear :)

how else am i going to get to 10k?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Using a player who played one season in short season ball down in Lowell after being drafted out of high school was probably the worst example you cold have used.  

Maybe we should just promote all high schoolers drafted in the 5th round to the majors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Using a player who played one season in short season ball down in Lowell after being drafted out of high school was probably the worst example you cold have used.  

Maybe we should just promote all high schoolers drafted in the 5th round to the majors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem from the start is the title of this thread. It's not a question of it being "more important." It's just something that needs to be factored in the decision-making. There's a difference between keeping a guy in the minors for an extra two or three week or even a month to gain that extra year of control and keeping a guy in the minors for an entire season.

I agree with mef429. I can't recall a player the Sox held back despite being ready -- at least in any significant way, and if a player is "held back" it often is because he's blocked by a player in the majors.

Sections
Shortcuts