This is for all those who believe it is more important to send players down to the minors just to add control time later in their careers.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

First I am not advocating any player to be added to the Major League roster. If a player is ready to play in the major leagues and there is a roster spot open it would be in their best interest to promote that player. My main reasoning is that no one can predict the future and any injuries or illnesses that may occur. Take for example Ryan Westmorland, Who was our top prospect a few years ago. He got sick and now has no hope of ever playing Major League baseball. The Sox may have had a couple of years of service before Ryan had to retire giving both the team and Ryan an experience of fulfillment Now all we can do is wonder what we missed. How many players were high on the list of prospects only to be forced out due to injuries?

Of course if the team doesn’t feel that the player is ready now, that is a horse of a different color. I also believe that any speculation by fans regarding player readiness is just that, speculation.  For most of us we do not see the intangibles that separate the good players from the mediocre ones. Even a player like Willie Mo Pena and Phil Plantier had moments of brilliance which caused a stir within Red Sox nation till reality set in. For me, I will let management determine who and when because if they fail they could lose their job. This makes them the best judge of talent. If they are wrong they will be gone and the next in place will take over.  

One more thing I would like to address, bashing players because they are struggling is just plain wrong! Players are human like most of us are and are subject to the laws of life that puts individuals on a roller coaster spinning through life. One bad thing that happens and today’s fan wants to be the first to spread the news and then the little problem balloons and the pressure becomes too much for that player to be at his peak efficiency level. We as fans can be more productive if we lend support and encouragement to those we root for. The reason for booing is to show dissatisfaction with the effort of the player, not a player who is in a slump and certainly not for a player who is hurting and still working to help the team win. We as fans have must shoulder part of the blame for the constant pressure we put on the players. THIS IS A GAME lets enjoy it for a change!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

www.oprah.com is for you.

As Mr. Conan continues to bring zero to this board.......   But,   BDC has no problem with that !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As Mr. Conan continues to bring zero to this board.......   But,   BDC has no problem with that !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Sorry, Taz, in your example it's in Ryan Westmoreland's best interests, not the Red Sox'.  In your hypothetical example the Sox judged other players better than him at the time, so chose them.  Are you suggesting a team should look at a player they consider not ready then promote him because he might get hurt?  That's absurd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Sorry, Taz, in your example it's in Ryan Westmoreland's best interests, not the Red Sox'.  In your hypothetical example the Sox judged other players better than him at the time, so chose them.  Are you suggesting a team should look at a player they consider not ready then promote him because he might get hurt?  That's absurd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

No I clearly stated that the promotion should only be made if management deem the player ready. I used Ryan as an example because we never know who or when these things happen. Look at Lester wo developed cancer. Recently there has been on ongoing debate and I wanted to point out a logical reason for prompting early if ready.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to taz1956's comment:

No I clearly stated that the promotion should only be made if management deem the player ready. I used Ryan as an example because we never know who or when these things happen. Look at Lester wo developed cancer. Recently there has been on ongoing debate and I wanted to point out a logical reason for prompting early if ready.

they do promote a player when he is ready... name me some players recently who they held back in the minors despite being ready. Preferably include some minor league numbers that justify the promotion they never got.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

they do promote a player when he is ready... name me some players recently who they held back in the minors despite being ready. Preferably include some minor league numbers that justify the promotion they never got.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Sections
Shortcuts