this is not a good team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

this is not a good team

i will always be a redsox fan but this team is not right. something is not
    there.this is not a good team half of the players just sleepwalk through
    games.the quality of the players is gone.when you have a guy like
    salty as your starting catcher your in trouble.   75 wins maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: this is not a good team

In Response to this is not a good team:
    i will always be a redsox fan but this team is not right. something is not there.this is not a good team half of the players just sleepwalk through games.the quality of the players is gone.when you have a guy like salty as your starting catcher your in trouble.   75 wins maybe.
    Posted by soxyjim

Just too early for all the gloom and doom the return of Crawford and Ellsbury should make this a signifigantly better line-up.

I give the Sox a very good chance in todays game with Doubrant v Garcia.

Doubrant for a young pitcher can be quite impressive at times and imo just needs some more ML experience.

Freddy on the other hand has not looked very good so far in 2012. Patience today from the Sox hitters could pay off. I hope I'm wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This has been  a rough stretch--after the Yankees leave town they have other teams of lesser quality that will feast on Sox pitching--Why?

Say what you want, the fact is they lack leadership, not from BV, but from the three guys that put them in this predicament--BenC, LL and JH.

Face it--and give them the benefit of the doubt--you are without Ells and Bailey--that's big.

You are playing with DMac and Repko and a SS playing out of position in addition to two , at best, back up catchers.

Throw in Justin Thomas and Albers---who might have a hard time pitching on another major league team. Douby and Bard, very questionnable starters and Buch who is counted on to prove he's ready for the Tigers, Jays and Yanks without as much as a month to work on things in extended ST or with the PawSox.

Bring Cook in, he's pitched well for the PawSox--you are making him wait until April 30 for whatever reason. You are making Lav stay down because of SUPER TWO status. ? You know Iggy can play but for some reason you want him to hit .406 before you bring him up. Meanwhile guys Boston is burning. 

Send: Buch and Salty to the PawSox.
    DFA: DMac, Repko, Thomas
    Bring up: Lav, Iggy, Cook, Linares, Wilson  and start these guys. Tell us what can you lose?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to this is not a good team:
    i will always be a redsox fan but this team is not right. something is not there.this is not a good team half of the players just sleepwalk through games.the quality of the players is gone.when you have a guy like salty as your starting catcher your in trouble.   75 wins maybe.
    Posted by soxyjim

Ya think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team:
    In Response to this is not a good team : Just too early for all the gloom and doom the return of Crawford and Ellsbury should make this a signifigantly better line-up. I give the Sox a very good chance in todays game with Doubrant v Garcia. Doubrant for a young pitcher can be quite impressive at times and imo just needs some more ML experience.   Freddy on the other hand has not looked very good so far in 2012. Patience today from the Sox hitters could pay off. I hope I'm wrong.
    Posted by ThatWasMe

Good Morning TWM,

As comprised the Sox are today a shadow of the club that they envisioned when camp opened. Injuies have played a role and so too has the ineffective starts to the season by the three guys that IMHO have to turn it around and pitch (Beckett, Lester & Buccholz) if this team is to stay within reach as we near the month of May...It wouldn't hurt if Youk got hot either. I am not part of the doom and gloom club, but the biggest difference betwen this club and last years that started the season 2-10, is related to the health of the roster as April draws to a close and the month of May nears.

the good news is that the Yanks and Rays haven't exactly gotten off to the best of starts either but given expected return of Bailry, Ells & Crawford...the time is now for our starters to start and carry the load and for Youk to heat up. Short of that, we could find ourselves out of the race by July 1st.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : Good Morning TWM, As comprised the Sox are today a shadow of the club that they envisioned when camp opened. Injuies have played a role and so too has the ineffective starts to the season by the three guys that IMHO have to turn it around and pitch (Beckett, Lester & Buccholz) if this team is to stay within reach as we near the month of May...It wouldn't hurt if Youk got hot either. I am not part of the doom and gloom club, but the biggest difference betwen this club and last years that started the season 2-10, is related to the health of the roster as April draws to a close and the month of May nears. the good news is that the Yanks and Rays haven't exactly gotten off to the best of starts either but given expected return of Bailry, Ells & Crawford...the time is now for our starters to start and carry the load and for Youk to heat up. Short of that, we could find ourselves out of the race by July 1st.
    Posted by Beantowne

To be sure, they have had some bad luck to start. Losing your closer and near league MVP to start the season has to be considered more than a little unfortunate. The problem is that just about every aspect of their game now is mediocre. SP, relief, O, speed, you name it. Buch and Beckett have not proven they can win consistently, Lester off to a slow start, the other two just learning the job. Not having a hot Els is killer, since the outfield is now completely moribund offensively. Tough to win consistently with 3 hitters in your line-up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

This has been  a rough stretch--after the Yankees leave town they have other teams of lesser quality that will feast on Sox pitching--Why? Say what you want, the fact is they lack leadership, not from BV, but from the three guys that put them in this predicament--BenC, LL and JH. Face it--and give them the benefit of the doubt--you are without Ells and Bailey--that's big. You are playing with DMac and Repko and a SS playing out of position in addition to two , at best, back up catchers. Throw in Justin Thomas and Albers---who might have a hard time pitching on another major league team. Douby and Bard, very questionnable starters and Buch who is counted on to prove he's ready for the Tigers, Jays and Yanks without as much as a month to work on things in extended ST or with the PawSox. Bring Cook in, he's pitched well for the PawSox--you are making him wait until April 30 for whatever reason. You are making Lav stay down because of SUPER TWO status. ? You know Iggy can play but for some reason you want him to hit .406 before you bring him up. Meanwhile guys Boston is burning.  Send: Buch and Salty to the PawSox. DFA: DMac, Repko, Thomas Bring up: Lav, Iggy, Cook, Linares, Wilson  and start these guys. Tell us what can you lose?????
    Posted by MadMc44

Agree with you.....Will back you on this....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

EVENTUALLY, THE FRONT OFFICE WILL SEE THE WRITING ON
    THE WALL AND IN A DESPERATION MODE, MOVE SOME OF THE
    DEAD WOOD ON THIS CLUB. WE JUST HAVE NO MAJOR BATS
    WHO ARE GAME CHANGERS EXCEPT PAPI....HE IS WONDERFUL
    BUT THERE'S NO ONE TO BACK HIM UP. AGON IS A BIG
    DISAPPOINTMENT IN THE POWER DEPT. A GRANDERSON
    HE'S NOT. PEDROIA CAN'T BE EXPECTED TO SUPPLY POWER
    ALL SEASON. YOUKILIS WILL PROBABLY BE GONE BY MID
    JUNE OR USED AS TRADE BAIT FOR SOME PROSPECT.
    LAVARNWAY, MIDDLEBROOKS, AND IGLESIAS SHOULD BE
    BROUGHT UP. WE CAN'T BE WORSE THAN WE ARE NOW,
    AND IT'S NOT GONNA GET BETTER. IT IS WHAT IT IS.
    AVILES LOOKS HORRID ON DEFENSE, YOUKILIS IS SLOWING
    DOWN, AND GUYS LIKE REPKO AND MCDONALD ARE
    BASICALLY TRIPLE A PLAYERS, AT BEST. I GUARANTEE IT...
    BY LATE MAY, WHEN THE CLUB IS LIKE 18-30,YOU WILL
    SEE THE FO HIT THE PANIC BUTTON AND A MASS EXODUS
    WILL START. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE US TRY TO GET DAVID
    WRIGHT FROM THE METS, BUT I DOUBT IT WOULD HAPPEN.
    IF THE METS TANK BY JUNE, THEY MAY DECIDE TO MOVE
    HIM RATHER THAN PAY A BIG CONTRACT.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : To be sure, they have had some bad luck to start. Losing your closer and near league MVP to start the season has to be considered more than a little unfortunate. The problem is that just about every aspect of their game now is mediocre. SP, relief, O, speed, you name it. Buch and Beckett have not proven they can win consistently, Lester off to a slow start, the other two just learning the job. Not having a hot Els is killer, since the outfield is now completely moribund offensively. Tough to win consistently with 3 hitters in your line-up.
    Posted by pschuller

It tougher to win when your top three starting pitcher has an ERA over 6...therin lyes the biggest short term problem...Lester always struggles in April for reason I'm not sure...Beckett and Buccholz represent the bigger concerns and in the end we're going nowhere unless those three pitch to the baks of thier baseball cards...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

This team has not won a game since BV attacked Youkillis in the media. 

I think this trend will continue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

pitching pitching pitching

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

NHSOUTH has a point; just not sure it is the root cause.  As others have expressed here, the team that is 4 - 9 is not the team that management put together.  Your top two outfielders are injured.  Your closer and your top lefty in the bullpen are injured.  Two of your high paid starters are injured.  A former closer who is signed for some pretty big money is injured.  When you have Nate Spears playing in your outfield, you are in trouble.  Remember how the Sox owned the Yankees at the beginning of the season one year?  Then, by July and August, the tide had turned.  The Yankees had the roster they envisioned playing, and they beat the Sox into submission (and out of the playoffs).  Well, this could be the same in reverse.  But the injureis have to stop!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobknowsBosox. Show BobknowsBosox's posts

This team has not won a game since BV attacked Youkillis in the media.  I think this trend will continue.
    Posted by NHSOUTH

If anything BV lit a fire under Youk's butt !!! Youk has hit better since then and this AAA+ team cannot be blamed on Valentine.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I am not going to lie.  I really dislike watching this team.  They started out looking like a team that could come from behind and at least make things interesting.  But since Ellsbury's injury, they have rolled over and died offensively every time they have gone to the 7th inning without a lead (which is every game).

However, I am also not writing this season off.  This team just played the worst part of their schedule with half the roster filled with AAAA players filling in for injured starters.  The Yankees, Tigers, Rays and Texas all had their entire lineups at full strength.  Meanwhile the Sox had Nate Spears PH and playing OF for Jason Repko.  They are not the Red Sox, they are the organizational depth that allows the Sox to play their developing stars at the minor league level that suits them best while injured players recuperate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : If anything BV lit a fire under Youk's butt !!! Youk has hit better since then and this AAA+ team cannot be blamed on Valentine.
    Posted by BobknowsBosox

My guess is that Youk has until the end of May to turn it around or the Will Middlebrooks era will begin sooner rather later.  He's hitting .377 with 6 HRs and 20 RBIs in Pawtucket right now and he can play defense.  They aren't picking up Youk's option, so it might make sense to make the transition before next season.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : My guess is that Youk has until the end of May to turn it around or the Will Middlebrooks era will begin sooner rather later.  He's hitting .377 with 6 HRs and 20 RBIs in Pawtucket right now and he can play defense.  They aren't picking up Youk's option, so it might make sense to make the transition before next season.   
    Posted by jasko2248

An infussion of youth can't hurt this team.  If Salty has options bring up Lavarnway and send him down.  Also bring in Middlebrooks and get him some ABs at the major league level.  What can it hurt. At least the young guys have some potential to be very good.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Absolutely amazing to me the number of you who want to fix the lineup and ignore the pitching. 

It's way early to fix anything anyway.  When CC and Ellsbury return, the Sox will have most of last year's lineup that led MLB in OPS and runs scored, but with Aviles in for Scutaro and Sweeney for JD Drew.  The big five (Ells, Papi, AGon, Pedey, and Youk all had OPS's among the top ten in the AL) will be intact and would have been were it not for Crawford's wrist and Ellsbury's shoulder.  The oldest regular in the lineup, Ortiz, is the best hitter on the team right now, so an "infusion of youth" makes no sense. 

It is a good working assumption that the hitting will be fine.  The worry is the pitching, which current has the worst ERA in MLB.  I say again, the pitching is the worst in baseball.  If Iglesias and Middlebrooks were brought up to improve the defense, best case they would shave .5 runs off the ERA, and the Sox would still have the worst ERA in baseball. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : An infussion of youth can't hurt this team.  If Salty has options bring up Lavarnway and send him down.  Also bring in Middlebrooks and get him some ABs at the major league level.  What can it hurt. At least the young guys have some potential to be very good.  
    Posted by Mchampion

Agreed, but they aren't going to give up year of control for a few weeks of change.  My guess is that they'll wait until at least June 1st with Lavarnway & Middlebrooks, but they ARE the future at those two positions right now at least. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Absolutely amazing to me the number of you who want to fix the lineup and ignore the pitching.  It's way early to fix anything anyway.  When CC and Ellsbury return, the Sox will have most of last year's lineup that led MLB in OPS and runs scored, but with Aviles in for Scutaro and Sweeney for JD Drew.  The big five (Ells, Papi, AGon, Pedey, and Youk all had OPS's among the top ten in the AL) will be intact and would have been were it not for Crawford's wrist and Ellsbury's shoulder.  The oldest regular in the lineup, Ortiz, is the best hitter on the team right now, so an "infusion of youth" makes no sense.  It is a good working assumption that the hitting will be fine.  The worry is the pitching, which current has the worst ERA in MLB.  I say again, the pitching is the worst in baseball.  If Iglesias and Middlebrooks were brought up to improve the defense, best case they would shave .5 runs off the ERA, and the Sox would still have the worst ERA in baseball. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

I agree that it isn't time for an "infusion of youth" yet, but if Youk and Salty continue to really struggle through May, then it will have to be considered.  You will see Cook before May 1st.  The only guys who seem "safe" in the rotation for the time being are Lester, Beckett & Bard. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : My guess is that Youk has until the end of May to turn it around or the Will Middlebrooks era will begin sooner rather later.  He's hitting .377 with 6 HRs and 20 RBIs in Pawtucket right now and he can play defense.  They aren't picking up Youk's option, so it might make sense to make the transition before next season.   
    Posted by jasko2248

What would happen to Youk if he is still struggling?   I wish that the Red Sox had resigned Beltre and traded Youkilis.  I know that most Red Sox fans don't want to hear this, but Beltre is a better 3rd baseman than Youk. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: this is not a good team : What would happen to Youk if he is still struggling?   I wish that the Red Sox had resigned Beltre and traded Youkilis.  I know that most Red Sox fans don't want to hear this, but Beltre is a better 3rd baseman than Youk. 
    Posted by susan250

You have to keep in mind that while Beltre has has been relatively healthy over the past two years, giving him the 5 yr. - 80 million dollar guaranteed contract he recieved from Texas was probably not a wise decision for a guy with his injury history and well established inconsistency. When you consider that Agon wouldn't be here either, I don't think you can really question the decision to move on...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]This has been  a rough stretch--after the Yankees leave town they have other teams of lesser quality that will feast on Sox pitching--Why? Say what you want, the fact is they lack leadership, not from BV, but from the three guys that put them in this predicament--BenC, LL and JH. Face it--and give them the benefit of the doubt--you are without Ells and Bailey--that's big. You are playing with DMac and Repko and a SS playing out of position in addition to two , at best, back up catchers. Throw in Justin Thomas and Albers---who might have a hard time pitching on another major league team. Douby and Bard, very questionnable starters and Buch who is counted on to prove he's ready for the Tigers, Jays and Yanks without as much as a month to work on things in extended ST or with the PawSox. Bring Cook in, he's pitched well for the PawSox--you are making him wait until April 30 for whatever reason. You are making Lav stay down because of SUPER TWO status. ? You know Iggy can play but for some reason you want him to hit .406 before you bring him up. Meanwhile guys Boston is burning.  Send: Buch and Salty to the PawSox. DFA: DMac, Repko, Thomas Bring up: Lav, Iggy, Cook, Linares, Wilson  and start these guys. Tell us what can you lose?????
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE

I like it! Shaking things up may be just what the doctor ordered.

Sections
Shortcuts