This is the difference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

This is the difference

The difference between the Boston Red Sox vs the majority of MLB teams is that boston can afford to spend on bench palyer's and their bullpen depth.  Yes, we seen it many times this season when teams lost a key part to either their starting lineups or their pitching and they were unable to fill in with a high quality reserves.  There was not to many teams or any if you think about, that was able to replace key injured player's with quality reserves.  The reason why the Red Sox could do this was by short term contracts and a very deep farm system. 

Yes, I would love to Ellsbury back, who wouldn't?  or sign Mccans to a long term deal but this would hinder the Red Sox ablity in the future to build an all around versitle team plus you would lose valuable draft picks in the process.  Tampa, St. Louis and Oakland and the have shown baseball that you can compete if you develope your young talent.  There are many teams out there that are in deep trouble down the road an example being the Dodgers, Yankees and the Angels.  Tehy have forfieted so many top draft picks and now their respective teams have several holes to fell with very few resorces available, their minor league systems are depleted and their respective payroll's are to high.

The Red Sox are developing young talent throughout their entire minor league system as Tampa, St. Louis and Oakland has but we can afford to fill in positons with payroll depth where they cannot and we have young controllable talent being developed where many of the big market teams do not.  So I am hoping that we get at least two extra 1st draft picks from our FA and wish them well.  It's great to be a Red Sox fan because we are way ahead of the curve rite now.  With this type of structure the Red Sox will be able to compete for Champioships for many years to come!!

Thanks John Henry and Ben.  Keep up the great work and forward thinking!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: This is the difference

I also have total confidence in the Red Sox organization. It's amazing that everyone they acquired contributed to winning the World Series in some way -- even though some thought it wasn't enough. It's close to impossible to build a hodge-podge team out of thin air that manages to take turns carrying the team each game.

I would bet that there are alot of organizations that are not only envious of the team, but are envious of our management. It's really been an incredible year, and they should be proud of their accomplishments.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I also have total confidence in the Red Sox organization. It's amazing that everyone they acquired contributed to winning the World Series in some way -- even though some thought it wasn't enough. It's close to impossible to build a hodge-podge team out of thin air that manages to take turns carrying the team each game.

I would bet that there are alot of organizations that are not only envious of the team, but are envious of our management. It's really been an incredible year, and they should be proud of their accomplishments.

uh, oh....take cover!! Tongue Out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I also have total confidence in the Red Sox organization. It's amazing that everyone they acquired contributed to winning the World Series in some way -- even though some thought it wasn't enough.

Hanrahan did not.

But, I get your point. We had a balanced attack and the 25 men (or more) made it happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to bigdog1's comment:

The difference between the Boston Red Sox vs the majority of MLB teams is that boston can afford to spend on bench palyer's and their bullpen depth.  Yes, we seen it many times this season when teams lost a key part to either their starting lineups or their pitching and they were unable to fill in with a high quality reserves.  There was not to many teams or any if you think about, that was able to replace key injured player's with quality reserves.  The reason why the Red Sox could do this was by short term contracts and a very deep farm system. 

Spend on depth?????? Carp $500K
    Gomes $5 mil, Ross $3 mil better look at the salary numbers they signed guys any team could have.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

http://www.mangameslost.com/end-regular-season-mlb-team-man-games-lost-october-1-2013/

First of all, not only Ben C. did a great job rebuilding the farm system.  I just think Ben C picked up the perfect players via trade or free agency for this year team.  Gomes, Carp, Ross, etc all never have an injure proned career compare to the Yankees picking up Chavez, Youkilis, etc who all already have injure proned career.   Same with Dodgers keeping Kemp, Either, etc who they should have trade them last year instead keeping them for this year team.  Bad moves by the Yankees and Dodgers.  That is the samething with Milwaukee, Washington, etc.  

Ben C. is now picking up guys who he think that they can play in all season along instead trying to sign b@nged up guys to just be a back up players like youkilis, Chavez, etc.

That is why Ben C. have to start considering about what do with Bucholtz.  I would trade him now!!!  I do love Bucholtz alot, and know that he can pitch a half of a season at the same time he is still capable to win 10 games.  That is probably far better than Dempster can do it in all year along.   Still, his contract is increasing from one year to another.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I also have total confidence in the Red Sox organization. It's amazing that everyone they acquired contributed to winning the World Series in some way -- even though some thought it wasn't enough.

Hanrahan did not.

But, I get your point. We had a balanced attack and the 25 men (or more) made it happen.

Sure he did.

If he hadn't gotten hurt, no Koji in the closer role. Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Hanrahan did not.

Sure he did.

If he hadn't gotten hurt, no Koji in the closer role. Wink

Addition by subtraction, only from within!  Nice perspective, btw.  Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I feel comfortable seeing Bradley Jr. (or sign Beltran to a short-term contract) replace Ellsbury and Bogaerts replace Drew. 

With the nature of the business, I understand that it is very difficult to keep a team with the same players. 

Last year, all nine players who were given a qualifying offer declined them.  Eight out of the nine of them signed with a new team. 

Sections
Shortcuts