This is the end......of the draft.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is the end......of the draft.

25% of players who were on opening day rosters were drafted after the 10th round. Granted a bunch oa names we've never heard of will be called today; many we'll never hear again.  But there are still a dozen or so top 100 players that will sign quick.  This makes having the 7th pick all that more special.  Heres a good read on day 3 and why some of the best players fall past the 10th round.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: This is the end......of the draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130607&content_id=49952184&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox Jordan Sheffield a top 100 draft prospect who fell to them due to signability concerns.

He's a RHP out of HS in Tennessee.  Immediately tweets RED SOX NATION!  Maybe he's open to signing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Garry sheffields nephew

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/06/red-sox-draft-picks-rounds-11-15.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/06/red-sox-draft-picks-rounds-16-20_8.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox draft the kid I was hoping they would take in the 2nd or 3rnd.....RYAN BOLDT

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In the late rounds the Red Sox took a player from my small-town high school, although the righthander has committed to the out-of-state university where I went to graduate school and law school.

http://muscatinejournal.com/sports/high-school/burkamper-decides-against-the-big-leauges----for/article_c907d9a9-61a5-51a5-b7ed-cc65cbf371cb.html

Here is a video interview with Derek Burkamper from 14 months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iOq8CQpfM

Burkamper and 22nd-round pick Ryan Boldt reportedly will honor their commitments to attend the University of Nebraska:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/baseball/recruits-burkamper-boldt-choose-huskers-over-mlb-draft/article_b42ca868-87a5-5d2b-9c19-bf08f61a33b8.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Sox draft the kid I was hoping they would take in the 2nd or 3rnd.....RYAN BOLDT

Sweet! I was hoping they got this kid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

They might have a hard time signing this kid; presumably they would have to forgo signing a few guys to sign him.  But I seriously hope they move the money around to sign him and Sheffield.

I would be very very very happy with this draft if that happens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

They might have a hard time signing this kid; presumably they would have to forgo signing a few guys to sign him.  But I seriously hope they move the money around to sign him and Sheffield.

My odds they sign these guys....

Sheffield and Boldt---Way less then 1%

Denney and Boldt---Way less then 1%

Denney and Sheffield---less then 5%

Denney, Sheffield and Boldt---.00001%

Most of the surplus bonus pool will likely go to Denney. My belief is that if Denney pulls a "Morris" and backs out of a likely verble agreement, then the Sox could use that surplus bonus money on either Sheffield or Boldt. Even then, it might not be enough for Sheffield and probably not enough for Boldt. My guess is that every penny of surplus bonus money will not be enough to sign Boldt.

I expect them to sign Denney and probably 1-2 of the more moderate tough signs after the 10th pick. No Sheffield and no Boldt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Most of the surplus bonus pool will likely go to Denney. My belief is that if Denney pulls a "Morris" and backs out of a likely verble agreement, then the Sox could use that surplus bonus money on either Sheffield or Boldt. Even then, it might not be enough for Sheffield and probably not enough for Boldt. My guess is that every penny of surplus bonus money will not be enough to sign Boldt.

I expect them to sign Denney and probably 1-2 of the more moderate tough signs after the 10th pick. No Sheffield and no Boldt.

is any of these guys worth giving up a future 1st round pick? you can sign them but get draft picks taken away right? i'm not sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

[QUOTE]

is any of these guys worth giving up a future 1st round pick? you can sign them but get draft picks taken away right? i'm not sure.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the main problem with this theory is the Red Sox strategy in this draft. If you are going to blow up a bonus slot system, you go over the top and do it big time. You don't draft the guy they did in the second round. No reason for ever taking under slot players if you are going to go over slot. I believe they also took under slot players in the 7-10 area. Plus they would have drafted even more crazy bonus demand guys. I would be shocked if they went over 5% of their allotment. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe the main problem with this theory is the Red Sox strategy in this draft. If you are going to blow up a bonus slot system, you go over the top and do it big time. You don't draft the guy they did in the second round. No reason for ever taking under slot players if you are going to go over slot. I believe they also took under slot players in the 7-10 area. Plus they would have drafted even more crazy bonus demand guys. I would be shocked if they went over 5% of their allotment. 

[/QUOTE]

yeah..i understand what you are saying good point..thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sheffield needs TJS. Or has had it already.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's almost no chance they sign all three.....but I think there is a very good chance they they can sign Sheffield and Denney

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

It's almost no chance they sign all three.....but I think there is a very good chance they they can sign Sheffield and Denney

I thinks its possible. Maybe we saved more then we think on some of these guys at the top. My guess is the most realistic hope for Ball was 3.0 million and with Stank it was 700. That would be 800 surplus. Lets say another million total with the late top 10 and 5% rule. I doubt its that much, but lets hope. The best hope I come up with is 1.8 to play with. Lets assume a realistic agreement of 1.5 to Denney. That would leave about 900. Add it to the 100 thousand base and we could offer Sheffield about a million. He could take that. Of course, that would mean nobody else after 10 gets over 100 grand. But I think its very possible.

Of course its possible Ball wanted only 2.5, but I would be very surprised by that kind of number. Thats 14-15 slot money. He was expected to go higher then that. But who knows, maybe he is a Red Sox fan or wants a big city big stage situation.

Anything is possible. But I think my scenerio above is realistic best case scenerio. I actually think we already have an agreement in place with Denney and only have about another 500 to play with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

These are very good picks. I don't care if the Red Sox sacrifice something for next year's draft. Sign all of them, if possible. Building through the draft is a better approach than relying on free agency. That holds true even for big market teams like the Yankees that experienced their most success when their main players were homegrown.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Yanks draft Andy's son Josh (he's off to Baylor)

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I thinks its possible. Maybe we saved more then we think on some of these guys at the top. My guess is the most realistic hope for Ball was 3.0 million and with Stank it was 700. That would be 800 surplus. Lets say another million total with the late top 10 and 5% rule. I doubt its that much, but lets hope. The best hope I come up with is 1.8 to play with. Lets assume a realistic agreement of 1.5 to Denney. That would leave about 900. Add it to the 100 thousand base and we could offer Sheffield about a million. He could take that. Of course, that would mean nobody else after 10 gets over 100 grand. But I think its very possible.

Of course its possible Ball wanted only 2.5, but I would be very surprised by that kind of number. Thats 14-15 slot money. He was expected to go higher then that. But who knows, maybe he is a Red Sox fan or wants a big city big stage situation.

Anything is possible. But I think my scenerio above is realistic best case scenerio. I actually think we already have an agreement in place with Denney and only have about another 500 to play with.

[/QUOTE]

2.5 million might be low balling him a bit but they will likely be able to sign Stank and Ball for below slot.  Supposedly Denney is a huge Sox fan; as in not just saying that because they drafted him.  I think Denney still goes above slot, but not as much as people think.  Rounds 4-10 they probably will save around 800,000.  Plus they Will automatically spend 1.05 times their cap as that is the max they would spend before losing a draft pick.

Obviously they won't sign all here kids......but this all makes for a very exciting signing period.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

A talented young high schooler who the Sox drafted (Nick Longhi) just tweeted:  "Literally just had the hottest nurse ever"

He flew in yesterday to Boston and from that tweet it's a good guess he is taking a physical which means he could have signed and it is not yet announced.  A lot of announcments should come this week as the deadline approaches this friday. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A talented young high schooler who the Sox drafted (Nick Longhi) just tweeted:  "Literally just had the hottest nurse ever"

He flew in yesterday to Boston and from that tweet it's a good guess he is taking a physical which means he could have signed and it is not yet announced.  A lot of announcments should come this week as the deadline approaches this friday. 

Did the Sox add a "fringe benefit" hot nurse to get him to sign?

Undecided 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Did the Sox add a "fringe benefit" hot nurse to get him to sign?

Undecided 

[/QUOTE]

lol that's not a horrible idea....as a lot of these kids are deciding between starting their pro careers and going to college they must see a lot of eye candy when they go on the campuses....nothing wrong with giving these colleges a little competition.