This is Why Iggy Was Traded

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This is Why Iggy Was Traded

Cherington is a smart GM. He knew this would happen.

NEW YORK (AP) — Detroit Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias is out of the lineup because of a sore left elbow.
    Ramon Santiago is set to start at shortstop Saturday against New York Mets ace Matt Harvey. Iglesias was hurt when he was hit by a pitch from David Aardsma in the ninth inning of the series opener Friday night.
    Iglesias remained in the game but his elbow swelled up. X-rays were negative, but manager Jim Leyland says Iglesias can’t bend his arm and won’t be available off the bench Saturday. Leyland says hopefully Iglesias can play Sunday.
    The slick-fielding Iglesias was acquired by the AL Central leaders from Boston late last month in advance of the 50-game suspension given to All-Star shortstop Jhonny Peralta in the Biogenesis drug investigation.
    The rookie is hitting .319 with two home runs and 23 RBIs, including .286 with one homer and four RBIs in 21 games for Detroit.

Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: This is Why Iggy Was Traded

he was traded because it was known that he would get hit with a pitch on his elbow?....youre kidding I hope

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

NEW YORK (AP) — Detroit Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias is out of the lineup because of a sore left elbow.
    Ramon Santiago is set to start at shortstop Saturday against New York Mets ace Matt Harvey. Iglesias was hurt when he was hit by a pitch from David Aardsma in the ninth inning of the series opener Friday night.
    Iglesias remained in the game but his elbow swelled up. X-rays were negative, but manager Jim Leyland says Iglesias can’t bend his arm and won’t be available off the bench Saturday. Leyland says hopefully Iglesias can play Sunday.
    The slick-fielding Iglesias was acquired by the AL Central leaders from Boston late last month in advance of the 50-game suspension given to All-Star shortstop Jhonny Peralta in the Biogenesis drug investigation.
    The rookie is hitting .319 with two home runs and 23 RBIs, including .286 with one homer and four RBIs in 21 games for Detroit.

Cool

Does Ben have any word on what will happen at Saratoga tomorrow ? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Cool

Does Ben have any word on what will happen at Saratoga tomorrow ? 

Well ... as a matter of fact ...Money Mouth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

We all know why Iggy was traded....  his name is Xander Bogaerts.  And the bonus of getting a top of the rotation pitcher like Jake Peavy for this year and next.  I'm cool with the trade.  You will be too.  Be patient.  It will payoff... I promise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Out of 37 SSs with 350+ innings in the field, here are some UZR/150 numbers:

1) Simmons  28.8

2) Pennington 22.6

3) Barnes  17.9

4) Y Escobar 16.3

5) Tulo 13.3

6) Iggy  13.2

18) Drew 3.0

31) Lowrie -9.8

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

he was traded because it was known that he would get hit with a pitch on his elbow?....youre kidding I hope

No, Ben is THAT good!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

No, Ben is THAT good!

Exactly. It's all about being prepared and doing your homework. Good GMs can predict these things.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I never would have traded this kid.  It was a bridge year and despite the sox unexpected success, they still need more than a pitcher to win it all. 

No one would have had a problem if no move was made.  Iggy is an exciting player and fans loved him and all thru New England.

I've read dozens of your comments, and finally decided to respond.

Your trolling, is, quite frankly, lousy. Perhaps you're Babe. If not, you aspire to be.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I never would have traded this kid.  It was a bridge year and despite the sox unexpected success, they still need more than a pitcher to win it all. 

No one would have had a problem if no move was made.  Iggy is an exciting player and fans loved him and all thru New England.

Your trolling, is, quite frankly, lousy. Perhaps you're Babe. If not, you aspire to be.

How am I trolling?  I did not even start this thread and I am not alone in my opinion.  Perhaps you have deeper issues?

Maybe. But you don't have start a thread to troll. I'll just take it you're a NYY fan who never has an encouraging word for the RS, at least not that I've seen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

How am I trolling?  I did not even start this thread and I am not alone in my opinion.  Perhaps you have deeper issues?

Maybe. But you don't have start a thread to troll. I'll just take it you're a NYY fan who never has an encouraging word for the RS, at least not that I've seen.

I hope he is trolling. The alternative would be that he really is that stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I hope he is trolling. The alternative would be that he really is that stupid.

unfortunately i think he is...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

At this point ........ "What difference does it make"  !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Lol, not sure if serious or not.

Nope, I'd say he was traded for what most of us are watching right now. Another good start from Peavy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

this is why we traded him......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

We all know why Iggy was traded....  his name is Xander Bogaerts.  And the bonus of getting a top of the rotation pitcher like Jake Peavy for this year and next.  I'm cool with the trade.  You will be too.  Be patient.  It will payoff... I promise.

<bump>

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think it's simplest to say that the Sox got a good pitcher for Iglesias, and not as a rental since Peavy will be here beyond this year.  Despite his slick fielding, Iglesias is no sure bet at the plate long-term.  His (and Drew's) replacement has already arrived in Boston since Bogaerts was called up.  Bogaerts can slide to 3rd if necessary (if Middelbrooks isn't the long term answer) and the Sox have either prospects in the minors or Drew's salary slot to plug a hole at SS or 3rd if need be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Cool

If Iggy continues to hit the way he has this year, Ben will rue the day he made this trade unless RS and Peavey win a WS title this year. I still have my doubts that Iggy will be anything more than a 220-240 hitter w/ very little power. If RS are right and Iggy is the next coming of Rey Ordonez this was a smart trade, but if Iggy becomes a good hitter al la Ozzie Smith, RS fans will be kicking themselves in the butt for years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I truly hope you're right and that it does pay off.  If it doesn't pay off we're going to have to pay for a SS for next season along with a 1B and a Catcher in addition to a CF.  I've been thinking all along that if we can have a cost-controlled IF there'll be money enough to sign Ellsbury but if we have to land a FA SS ... maybe not. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Cool

If Iggy continues to hit the way he has this year, Ben will rue the day he made this trade unless RS and Peavey win a WS title this year. I still have my doubts that Iggy will be anything more than a 220-240 hitter w/ very little power. If RS are right and Iggy is the next coming of Rey Ordonez this was a smart trade, but if Iggy becomes a good hitter al la Ozzie Smith, RS fans will be kicking themselves in the butt for years.

As much as I'm going to miss watching Iggy play, I'm pretty happy with Peavy's performances to date.

So, I'm curious.

How long does Peavy have to sustain his current level of performance (2-1/ 3.31 ERA/ .098 WHIP), or how much better does he have to get, before the rabid Iggy fans think it was a good deal for the Sox?

And skip the "If they don't win a ring..." BS.

There's so many things that have to go right, for a team to win it all.

It's unrealistic to lay it at the feet of one player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

The trade is looking pretty good today w/ Peavy spinning CG 3-hitters and Xander hitting the ball w/ authority.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

So, I'm curious.

How long does Peavy have to sustain his current lever of performance (2-1/ 3.31 ERA/ .098 WHIP), or how much better does he have to get, before the rabid Iggy fans think it was a good deal for the Sox?

And skip the "If they don't win a ring..." BS.

There so many things that have to go right, for a team to win it all.

It's unrealistic to lay it at the feet of one player.

I wish I could stay away from this topic, but I can't.  :-(  Since I'm allegedly one of the "rabid Iggy fans" I'm going to take it upon myself to respond - from my POV. 

This isn't completely about Iggy.  It's about the future.  It's about having money to spend on FA's and where it'd going to come from. It's also about putting a good team on the field in 2014 and beyond. 

I've been a proponent all along of an IF of XBo, Iggy, Pedey and Middy.  The only question marks I see in that are XBo's defense and Iggy's offense.  Pedey is what he is, and I've always believed that if a person can play 3B he can play 1B even better.  And Middy is a decent 3B who is now showing good hitting ability. 

XBo's ML skills have yet to be determined (although I have to admit that the past couple of days have begun to put to rest my concerns about his offensive skills).  Iggy's offense is what it is today and I think it'll get better with experience, and even if it doesn't I'm willing to live with ~.230 and Iggy's defense at SS.  Especialy with the offense of XBo, Pedey & MIddy in the IF and Ells in the OF. 

That's a pretty cheap IF which leaves money for other positions. Like.... CF.  NOBODY is saying that JBJ is going to be replacing Ellsbury on both sides of the ball.  That's why I want to sign Ells.  Ells very simply is a better all-around player than JBJ.  I see JBJ as either the heir-apparent to RF or as trade bait for a GOOD position player or a pitcher. 

This trade has completely s-d the pooch on that.  We now have to either sign a  FA SS  (think $$) or give the position to someone untried and hope it works out.  Middy can remain at 3B, but what do we do about 1B?  Another FA?  Maybe Carp.  Will Carp be > Middy @ 1B?  I personally doubt that. But whatever happens at 1B it'll be more expensive than Middy, leaving less money to sign Ells.

I was looking at a young, talented, cost controlled team in 2014 & beyond.  The kind of team the Yankees built back when Jeter, Bernie Williams and Posada were young.  One that would carry the franchise into the future,  but now I don't see that. I see the Iggy trade as costing the Sox both Iggy and Ellsbury and allowing them MUCH less payroll flexibility than they would have otherwise had. 

It's not entirely about getting to watch Iggy play - although that's a part of it.  It's also not about Peavy and how good he has to get.  It's about the future.  Which is why I was - and am - opposed to that trade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

So what would you have done to shore up the pitching?? Just wondering because everyone that says they shouldnt have traded Iggy never seems to know...

Sections
Shortcuts