This is Why Iggy Was Traded

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: This is Why Iggy Was Traded

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:

Iglesias was traded because the Sox had a chance to sell high on him.  If Iglesias was back next year hitting. 210, all the people decrying this trade would be screaming "We should have dealt him ehen he was worth Peavy!"

One year ago, Pedro Ciriaco was the untradable "shortstop of the future" with unparalled speed and defensive skills.  12 months and 3 teams later, he is struggling to even keep an MLB job...

Whether or not they "sold high" on Iggy remains to be seen. 

But let's not get carried away with the Pedro Ciriaco thing.  Depending on who you talk to, a year ago the SS of the future was in the minors and his name was either Iglasis or Bogarts.

Ciriaco was the UIF of the future.

Nope, I don't remember a lot of talk on this forum about Pedro.  Good utilty guy and that was about it.  If there was talk then I missed it because the kid was just a utilty player to me and if he went, no problem.

[/QUOTE]

Then you missed a lot of posts from craze4sox, among others...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Iglesias was traded because the Sox had a chance to sell high on him.  If Iglesias was back next year hitting. 210, all the people decrying this trade would be screaming "We should have dealt him ehen he was worth Peavy!"

One year ago, Pedro Ciriaco was the untradable "shortstop of the future" with unparalled speed and defensive skills.  12 months and 3 teams later, he is struggling to even keep an MLB job...

But let's not get carried away with the Pedro Ciriaco thing.  Depending on who you talk to, a year ago the SS of the future was in the minors and his name was either Iglasis or Bogarts.

Given Iglesias offensive trac record, it certainly looks like a high sell.  Especially since teams like Arizona were reportedly not interested in him this past off-season...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I like Peavey on this team, a lot! I still would not have traded Iggy.... Anyhow Peavey is very good.

I would have preferred they deal Ranaudo or Middlebrooks for Peavy, and as much as I liked Iglesias,  I never thought of him as indispensable...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is as simple as that.  Like I keep saying, television does not portray the talent which Iggy possesses.  Most who saw this kid play live feel the same way.  Sorry if this disrupts the harmony of the board, but there are probably 50, 000 plus fans who have passed thru McCoy who would not have traded Iggy either.

Ease up on the McCoy rhetoric just a tad, please.  This year in 33 games at Pawtucket Iggy hit 202/262/319.  He also had 5 errors.  And some disciplinary issues that put him on the bench for a few games.

[/QUOTE]

He acts as if most of us never took in a Portland SeaDogs or Pawtucket game. Ive seen all the kids who have gone through our system many times before making it to Boston, including Iggy. His defense was incredible. Not much of a bat though.

Im fine with the trade. Now and in the future. Peave has held teams to 2 or less runs in 4 or his 5 starts. Hes a front line starter and has the makeup to handle a post season run on a team like Boston. We have Bogaerts, and even Marrero in another year or two. We dealt from a position of depth and sold high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Well put! Seems so many forgot how just mos. ago many wondered if Iggy would be able to hit 240 w/ no power @ MLB level. Now after something like 21 Inf. hits in little over half a season his value was high and w/ a few more SS's on the way time was right. But the downside to this trade if Iggy does somehow become a decent hitter @ MLB level they will regret this trade for many a years unless they win a WS title w/ help from Peavey. Thats what made the Hanley trade bearible yrs later. The question is whether Iggy becomes Rey Ordonez or Ozzie Smith, both great field - no hit when they 1st came up. But difference is Ozzie became a good enough hitter to become a HOF type player. Lets hope Ben got this one right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

I never would have traded this kid.  It was a bridge year and despite the sox unexpected success, they still need more than a pitcher to win it all. 

No one would have had a problem if no move was made.  Iggy is an exciting player and fans loved him and all thru New England.

I've read dozens of your comments, and finally decided to respond.

Your trolling, is, quite frankly, lousy. Perhaps you're Babe. If not, you aspire to be.

How am I trolling?  I did not even start this thread and I am not alone in my opinion.  Perhaps you have deeper issues?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But you don't have start a thread to troll. I'll just take it you're a NYY fan who never has an encouraging word for the RS, at least not that I've seen.

[/QUOTE]

2 Yankee Trolls slapping at each other!  Priceless.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I feel overwhelmingly positive that many of the critics who are lamenting the loss of the greatest shortstop since Ozzie Smith would be up in arms right now if the club hadn't acquired an upper echelon starter for the stretch.  You gotta give to get.  

Exactly, and whenever I asked those opposed to this trade what they would have done to help the Sox pitching staff, no one ever responds and with good reason because they have NO clue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well put! Seems so many forgot how just mos. ago many wondered if Iggy would be able to hit 240 w/ no power @ MLB level. Now after something like 21 Inf. hits in little over half a season his value was high and w/ a few more SS's on the way time was right. But the downside to this trade if Iggy does somehow become a decent hitter @ MLB level they will regret this trade for many a years unless they win a WS title w/ help from Peavey. Thats what made the Hanley trade bearible yrs later. The question is whether Iggy becomes Rey Ordonez or Ozzie Smith, both great field - no hit when they 1st came up. But difference is Ozzie became a good enough hitter to become a HOF type player. Lets hope Ben got this one right.

[/QUOTE]

He got it right regardless of what happens to Iggy....they desparately needed pitching and hey got it....additionally they have a better all round player in Bogey.... end of story

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He got it right regardless of what happens to Iggy....they desparately needed pitching and hey got it....additionally they have a better all round player in Bogey.... end of story.

I do think Boggy rates to be a better player than Iggy, but I keep ehaqring this "better all around" statement, and it just doesn't ring true to me.

Iggy is a better fielder by far.

Iggy is a better runner.

Iggy has a better arm.

Iggy is a better bunter.

Boogy is a better hitter (power and average).

How does this make Boggy better "all around"?

Better "overall", maybe.

But not better all around.

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

This...

We sold high on an asset that was never part of the future with the Sox.  It's good business no matter what business you are in.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nope, I don't remember a lot of talk on this forum about Pedro.  Good utilty guy and that was about it.  If there was talk then I missed it because the kid was just a utilty player to me and if he went, no problem.

[/QUOTE]

Then you missed a lot of posts from craze4sox, among others...

[/QUOTE]

Naming one hardly qualifies as everyone.

[/QUOTE]

Who said "everyone" besides you?  There was absolutely a lot of Ciriaco hype on these boards, wheyher you remember it or not.  And that I was even able to name one ardent supporter of his some 12 months later in a forum with no reachable archives is not as unimpressive as you want it to be.

Do you REALLY want me to name more names? I can.  Craze4sox was the most vocal and very unlikely to deny his past devotion today.  He gets it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Exactly, and whenever I asked those opposed to this trade what they would have done to help the Sox pitching staff, no one ever responds and with good reason because they have NO clue.

Uhh... no, NOT exactly.  I responded to your question with this answer:

I wouldn't have traded Iggy for Peavy or anone else (within reason.  Mike Trout, sure).  I've been saying all along that I'd watch this season go down the tubes before I'd trade any of "my" top six prospects. One you get beyond that I'd have traded any of the remaining ones for 1) a starter if a decent one was available, or 2) a solid reliever if a starter wasn't available. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There were several posters all gah gah over Ciriaco. I pointed out that the guy had a sub .300 OBP in over 3500 minor league PAs, and chances were he'd revert to that at some point. But, somehow the tiny ML sample size was too enticing for some to resist.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bogey might be the better all around player. But he might also become a 3B or LF in the future. While if Iggy does become a dependable bat you might be looking at the all star starting SS for  a 10 yr period, one thing Bogaerts can't do is play SS at the level that Iggy can. Like I said is he Rey Ordonez or Ozzie Smith only time will tell.

[/QUOTE]

He got it right regardless of what happens to Iggy....they desparately needed pitching and hey got it....additionally they have a better all round player in Bogey.... end of story

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts