This offseason ain't that complicated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: This offseason ain't that complicated

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

we could have signed two decent pitchers and maybe even traded for Gio Gonzales who was available for a decent price.

How could the Red Sox have topped Washington's offer of Brad Peacock, A.J. Cole, Derek Norris and Tommy Milione for Gio Gonzalez?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

we could have signed two decent pitchers and maybe even traded for Gio Gonzales who was available for a decent price.

How could the Red Sox have topped Washington's offer of Brad Peacock, A.J. Cole, Derek Norris and Tommy Milione for Gio Gonzalez?

How about Bradley, Barnes, Brentz and Pimental?  Might that have gotten the trade done?  Perhaps.  The point is Cherington never actively tried to get Gonzales according to the press in your home town.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

How about Bradley, Barnes, Brentz and Pimental?  Might that have gotten the trade done?  Perhaps.  The point is Cherington never actively tried to get Gonzales according to the press in your home town.

The Red Sox could not have traded Jackie Bradley Jr. and Matt Barnes last offseason because the required one year had not passed since the Sox signed the 2011 draftees.

Where is my hometown press?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Unless they address the SP problem, we will lose 90 again.

This had to be the worst exposition of a starting staff in many years, and the irony is that none of them are as bad as they pitched. Totally out of character for Lester to have such a dismal year, yet he was the only one with over 200 IPs.

When Bard flamed out, and Buchholz was handing out ER's like candy, I think Lester and Beckett knew they had to step up but neither could.

If Ben would have done his job and gotten just one solid starter, the whole complexion os the rotation would have changed for the better. But Ben, being the bonehead that he is, tried to fill the holes with has-beens, of which Cook emerged as the only half-way decent hurler.

Ben didn't do his job.  Some say with justification that he didn't have enough money but he found $14 million to resign Ortiz who was less valuable to us than if we could have signed two decent pitchers and maybe even traded for Gio Gonzales who was available for a decent price. Ben is a boobhead and while others still think the jury is out on him I think I have  rightly pegged as an incompetent.

To me there are two things we have to look out for  this off season.  Besides getting some pitching which we all know we need, keep your eyes on the first base and Cody Ross situations.  If we don't a good power hitting first sacker and baLoney is resigned and if Cherington blow the Ross resigning you will need no further proof that Cherington is as worthless as I think he is and as useless at T@ts on a bull.

2 decent pitchers for $14mill?  Maybe in 1998.

And NO THE SOX COULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN GONZALEZ.  The As acquired BA #36 (Brad Peacock) and BA #57 (AJ Cole) along with 2 others.  The Sox top-ranked propect was Will Middlebrooks (51).  Xander Bogaerts ranked just behind Cole at 58.

So a package of Middlebrooks and Bogaerts was actually not as good as the top 2 players Oakland received in the deal.  And if you are excited about Bogaerts and Middlebrooks for the future, imagine how good Peacock and Cole must be.

There might be flaws in your judgement about Cherington...

Sections
Shortcuts