This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?

by Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe

It’s hard to imagine Sabathia leaving the Yankees, because they could just add a couple of years to the already massive deal. But what if the Red Sox sweeten the pot and add more years and money? Sabathia is obviously a great pitcher, and while the Sox already have three top starters in Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, and Josh Beckett, how good would a staff look with Sabathia as well?

“I guess you never know how things like that will work out,’’ said a major league source, “but I think everyone would be stunned if he opted out of his deal just to go to another team. I think CC likes New York and the tradition, and he obviously responds very well to not only being the No. 1 pitcher there but the pressure of playing there. I suppose Boston would offer him the same type of situation, but if any team can take care of his financial needs, it’s the Yankees.’’

Sabathia signed a seven-year, $161 million deal with a well-placed opt-out clause after this season. He’s scheduled to earn $23 million per year through 2015. If you’re the Yankees, do you add two or three more years? Would any team go up to $25 million-$27 million a year for a pitcher, even one of Sabathia’s status?

“He’s been so durable,’’ said the major league source. “He can pitch with the weight, he’s proven that. The problem is, will he be able to pitch with the weight in year six or seven of that deal if you add more years? Are you better off keeping the current length and just adding more money to the existing contract?’’

Do the Red Sox need to get involved? Probably not. But it could take perhaps the biggest piece of their biggest rival away from them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?

Is the pope Catholic?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?

Hi EB, really there's no involvement to be had by the Sox unless he actually opts out, but should he leave my guess is he heads back west...hopefully it won't come to that...i get that speculation comes with territory regarding an OOC, but he seems happy in NY as the anchor of the staff, and a  WSC, we'll see what happens..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

6 years/150 if not more

the first 3 years @ 60 million was a great deal but the next 6 years at 150?  well, that'll just be Ca$h-man being the cash man....

of course, he could just take off altogether

either way, it ain't good for ny - gotta love the way cashman hands opt out clauses - hey, you think Soriano is gonna opt out this year??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

CC could take the $23M x 4 years and be 35 at the end of the deal. He may think he can sign a 5-7 or even more year deal and make much more than the $23Mx4 plus whatever he can get at age 35 afterwards.

His size worries me, but the guy has stayed healthy for many years so far. I think Andrew is right: $150M/6 or more is what he should get. I could see somebody paying $170+M/7 or $185+M/8. It's not an easy decision for CC.

For arguments sake, let's say we sign CC for $168M/7 ($24M/year). It would be very tight on the CAP threshold to be able to keep Papi and Papelbon and most of arb players being kept and given arb raises, but I think it could be done if we say goodbye to Drew ($14M), Scutaro ($6M), Wheeler ($3M), Atchison Oki, & Hill, and arbs: Tazawa ($1.1M) and Morales ($0.424M). Theo can get creative with the Papi and Papelbon deals to lessen the luxury CAP yearly numbers. 

There is also the possibility of cutting VTek ($2M) and/or Wake ($2M) loose, but I doubt Theo will, just to saveless than $1-2M of luxury Cap overage fees.

Perhaps he could also trade a higher priced player to make room like:
    Crawford $20.3M/yr (eat some of his contract)
    Lackey $16.5M/yr (eat some of his contract)
    Dice-K $8.7M/yr (eat almost all of his contract)
    Jenks $6M/yr (eat part of his contract)

This would be a pretty nice 25 man roster for 2012:

S1: Beckett
    S1A: CC
    S1AA: Lester
    S4: Buch
    S5: Lackey
    S6: Wake

R1: Papelbon
    R2: Bard
    R3: Jenks
    R4: Aceves
    R5: Miller
    R6: Albers

C1: Salty
    C2: VTek
    C3/DH: Lavarnway or OF: DMac if Iglesias over Navarro
    DH: Papi
    1B: AGon
    2B: Pedey
    3B: Youk
    SS: Lowrie
    IF: Iglesias or IF/OF: Navarro 
    LF: Crawford
    CF: Ellsbury
    RF: Reddick
    OF: Kalish

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I doubt that the Sox would make a serious play for him. I also doubt that he would have any interest in coming to the Sox. Either he stays with NY or he goes back to the West Coast where he is from.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

If the sox are serious about extending Els, would they have the money to make a serious play for him, without tying up too much money in the future?

He would make us the favorite to win the WS for 2012-2014.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Any interest the Sox show would likely be to drive a longer, higher priced deal from NY.  They no longer seem to follow the limitless resource model so the more and longer they spend on CC, the less they may have for other moves.

Sox do not have limitless resources either and already have maybe too many long term, restrictive deals, given the need to lock up some of the young talent in the upcoming years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

In Response to Re: This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?:
    [QUOTE]No chance Els will be extended. Also, he's not even the reason the Red Sox are favorites to make the WS this season. Crawford isn't as popular because he's black, but learn to love him because Els will never be extended as Theo bought Crawford.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Would you have wanted it anyway?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

If CC opts out,  the Red Sox WILL be involved.  Not with the intenet to sign him, as that would seem to be a very long shot, but rather to drive the price up for the Yankees.  CC and his agent will willing play along and say everything necessary to give the appearance he is considering Boston and in the end he will resign with the Yankees at maximum contract.  Hopefully a year or two longer as a result of Theo's "interest".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?:
    [QUOTE]If CC opts out,  the Red Sox WILL be involved.  Not with the intenet to sign him, as that would seem to be a very long shot, but rather to drive the price up for the Yankees.  CC and his agent will willing play along and say everything necessary to give the appearance he is considering Boston and in the end he will resign with the Yankees at maximum contract.  Hopefully a year or two longer as a result of Theo's "interest".
    Posted by GreenMonster1964[/QUOTE]

Theo can try that but I don't think it will have much affect on NY. If the Yankees want to keep him, they will pay him. It's only money and that matters little to them. Theo would only be wasting his time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]No chance Els will be extended. Also, he's not even the reason the Red Sox are favorites to make the WS this season. Crawford isn't as popular because he's black, but learn to love him because Els will never be extended as Theo bought Crawford.

Crawford isn't getting a lot of love because of his numbers so far. You are about the only one who brings race into everything, but of course you are not a racist. Maybe you hate Ellsbury because he's native american. Did you have a relative who rode with Custer? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]No. CC will either stay with the Yankees or head west. He should ask Pedro about the abuse he took from Red Sox fans about his "pampering demands". CC would be a fool to play in Boston, not that it has any chance of happening.

Yeah, Pedro was "abused" by Sox fans. Unreal!

Why, then, wouldn't you want Kemp to call Pedro and be talked out of that fancy extension you keep talking about?

Maybe Kemp should call Barry Bonds first and ask him about his views on Boston.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a native American. Ellsbury is not an American aborigine. I have American aborigine ancestry. Crawford putting up career averages will not get the same popular reception as a career season for Ellsbury.

I hope we get the opportunity to find out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE] Crawford isn't as popular because he's black, but learn to love him because Els will never be extended as Theo bought Crawford.

What nonsense. Crawford will be very popular with Sox fans when he starts to perform on a par with what he is being paid. He signed a huge contract and he needs to play like he deserves it. So far he is not even close.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Hi EB, really there's no involvement to be had by the Sox unless he actually opts out, but should he leave my guess is he heads back west...hopefully it won't come to that...i get that speculation comes with territory regarding an OOC, but he seems happy in NY as the anchor of the staff, and a  WSC, we'll see what happens..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    I'd imagine that CC opts out. CC is only 31, so he could easily be looking for a Cliff Lee like deal and get more years despite being older and being an elite pitcher somebody is going to give it to him, disregarding his body which doesn't look like it's meant to pitch at the age of 38.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a824eebde-4e43-4881-8d07-dacba981ef8a&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:824eebde-4e43-4881-8d07-dacba981ef8aPost:930fd385-e82a-4968-8183-dca4be094b50">Re: This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out?:
    If CC opts out,  the Red Sox WILL be involved.  Not with the intenet to sign him, as that would seem to be a very long shot, but rather to drive the price up for the Yankees.  CC and his agent will willing play along and say everything necessary to give the appearance he is considering Boston and in the end he will resign with the Yankees at maximum contract.  Hopefully a year or two longer as a result of Theo's "interest".
    Posted by GreenMonster1964

Theo can try that but I don't think it will have much affect on NY. If the Yankees want to keep him, they will pay him. It's only money and that matters little to them. Theo would only be wasting his time.
    Posted by jrh1194
    ======================================================

Thats not wasting time, thats doing his job.  This kind of stuff happens all the time.  What do you think Theo was doing this winter w/r/t Mariano Rivera?  He forced the Yankees to add an extra year to their deal (eventually Rivera will slow down although not yet).  Happens the other direction as well........Granted, the Yankees have plenty of money, however if they are forced to add 1-2 years more than they would have liked to CC they could end up with an overpaid pitcher who's body is falling apart, which would certainly create problems in other ways besides money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe----. Show The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This offseason, will the Sox get themselves involved with CC Sabathia’s opt-out? : What nonsense. Crawford will be very popular with Sox fans when he starts to perform on a par with what he is being paid. He signed a huge contract and he needs to play like he deserves it. So far he is not even close.

Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

I think you meant .....

crawful will be very popular with Sox fans if he starts to perform on a par with what he is being paid. (which is highly unlikely)