this team looks wonderful!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

this team looks wonderful!

i just can't get over how awesome the 2014 Sox look going into the season. I mean yeah, teams coming off of a WS title often look very good the following year but i am just stunned how perfect things look right now. We have it all right now, the pitching, the offense, the depth and the farm in a more specific sense. The biggest weakness on our team? i'd probably say our offensive production from the catcher position. Which given the state of production from the position league wide isn't that bad. the amount of young players in starting roles? some want to try and call it a bad thing citing inexperience but the Cardinals run through the playoffs was largely driven by young talent. I can think of much worse things than having to rely on arguably THE top prospect in all of baseball, a 3rd year right handed slugger with a mixed resume and a potential GG OF'er who projects to have a superb P/PA.

Our offense as a whole still looks to be a powerhouse, big papi is poised to turn in another monster season and we should see a boost in production from 2nd base (healthy pedroia), 3rd base (healthy and improved middlebrooks) and possibly SS (Drew had the second highest OPS of any SS so there IS room for improvement in that regard)Tongue Out. Leadoff is a bit fuzzy right now but if Victorino is on he can prove to be a pretty good leadoff guy (my preference would still be pedroia in that role). Nava/Gomes platoon looks to be just as good an option this year as it was last year. I do worry a bit about AJPs effect on the offense. A major part of our offense last year was the stellar P/PA we had at every position 1-9. AJP has a god awful P/PA and that can really kill us IMO but since he is splitting time his effect should be minimalized.

on the pitching front, we have Lester, Buch, Lackey, Peavy and Doobie. Lester is an outlaw, Buch is untouchable if he can stay healthy, Lackey should be getting STRONGER in his second year off of TJS, a full season from Peavy should be an upgrade over Dempster and Doobie was VERY good last year until he got tired. If he can last a full season and stay aggressive against hitters he can rank among the top 20-30 pitchers in MLB that's how good his stuff is. The bullpen looks good also, Uehara, Taz, Breslow, Miller and Mujica headline that with prospects filling the rest of the pen. We have a backup closer in Mujica in case Uehara goes down and really any one of those names mentioned above could close if they had to. maybe a surprise appearance by RDLR at some point this season to become a mainstay in the pen? Overall, the pitching is looking extremely good heading into the 2014 season.

This team has the horses to go back to back.they have so much flexibility going into the season in terms of roster construction and tradeable assets (money included) its crazy. I cant freaking wait for the damn season to start!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: this team looks wonderful!

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

i just can't get over how awesome the 2014 Sox look going into the season. I mean yeah, teams coming off of a WS title often look very good the following year but i am just stunned how perfect things look right now. We have it all right now, the pitching, the offense, the depth and the farm in a more specific sense. The biggest weakness on our team? i'd probably say our offensive production from the catcher position. Which given the state of production from the position league wide isn't that bad. the amount of young players in starting roles? some want to try and call it a bad thing citing inexperience but the Cardinals run through the playoffs was largely driven by young talent. I can think of much worse things than having to rely on arguably THE top prospect in all of baseball, a 3rd year right handed slugger with a mixed resume and a potential GG OF'er who projects to have a superb P/PA.

Our offense as a whole still looks to be a powerhouse, big papi is poised to turn in another monster season and we should see a boost in production from 2nd base (healthy pedroia), 3rd base (healthy and improved middlebrooks) and possibly SS (Drew had the second highest OPS of any SS so there IS room for improvement in that regard)Tongue Out. Leadoff is a bit fuzzy right now but if Victorino is on he can prove to be a pretty good leadoff guy (my preference would still be pedroia in that role). Nava/Gomes platoon looks to be just as good an option this year as it was last year. I do worry a bit about AJPs effect on the offense. A major part of our offense last year was the stellar P/PA we had at every position 1-9. AJP has a god awful P/PA and that can really kill us IMO but since he is splitting time his effect should be minimalized.

on the pitching front, we have Lester, Buch, Lackey, Peavy and Doobie. Lester is an outlaw, Buch is untouchable if he can stay healthy, Lackey should be getting STRONGER in his second year off of TJS, a full season from Peavy should be an upgrade over Dempster and Doobie was VERY good last year until he got tired. If he can last a full season and stay aggressive against hitters he can rank among the top 20-30 pitchers in MLB that's how good his stuff is. The bullpen looks good also, Uehara, Taz, Breslow, Miller and Mujica headline that with prospects filling the rest of the pen. We have a backup closer in Mujica in case Uehara goes down and really any one of those names mentioned above could close if they had to. maybe a surprise appearance by RDLR at some point this season to become a mainstay in the pen? Overall, the pitching is looking extremely good heading into the 2014 season.

This team has the horses to go back to back.they have so much flexibility going into the season in terms of roster construction and tradeable assets (money included) its crazy. I cant freaking wait for the damn season to start!!!

[/QUOTE]

Well stated, but they'll look a lot more wonderful if they sign Drew.

[/QUOTE]

They aren't signing Drew at this point, and he isn't coming back to be a utility infielder.  He was a huge part of the success of the team last year, but at this point, barring injury, Middlebrooks & Boegarts will be on the left side of the infield. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i've been saying that all offseason. but now that guys are at camp and im hearing and seeing a diesel middlebrooks im kind of backing away from it. I'm content to let the team play as is and make a move a tthe deadline if need be. While drew would certainly make our team look better because it takes a question mark (middlebrooks) out of the equation (possibly 2 if you count Bogaerts defense at SS) it really biols down to short term benefit vs long term benefit (draft pick). It's a win-win IMO. we get drew for a year or 2 or we get a draft pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The offense concerns me. If Ortiz doesn't replicate his 2013, if Napoli regresses, if Bradley and Sizemore can't spell Ellsbury in center, if Middlebrooks doesn't get on base (aside from the occasional homerun), if Pierzynski and Victorino finally get old, if Pedroia stays closer to his 2013 level than 2008, if last year's unbelievable clutch hitting doesn't materialize a second time around, etc., the team could really struggle to score runs. The only hitter I'm confident about right now is Boegarts. The other eight slots in the batting order could easily be worse than they were in 2013, and that's a major problem. I think the pitching will be about the same as last year, even with a regression from Uehara. Hitting is the worry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Drew is not an option. He and his thieving Agent have been holding out for money and years. Good luck to the pair of them. Middlebrooks and Bogaerts with Herrera backing them both up. They still have Holt and Snyder down on the farm. Drew had his chance he like his brother before him now have WS rings and they can go fishing out on a lake in Georgia and talk about the biggest fish they caught, ironically they will both say it was the Red Sox. At any rate the main reason why the Sox don't need him is Marrero as he is less than a year away and if Middlebrooks isn't up to the task Cecchini is all ready pushing his way to the bigs. This team is 40 + players deep so one Drew isn't going to make a difference.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Overall, I really like the Red Sox.  But the AL East got tougher.  The Yankees addressed most of their needs, the Blue Jays are healthier, the Rays always have great pitching and Baltimore cannot be as bad as they were in 2013.  

In 2014, I really think that every team in the AL East will finish with a winning percentage of .500 or above.   

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Pitching looks fantastic.  Even if guys go down, the depth is encouraging.  The offense looks good to me, even with the kids, but the production hinges on staying healthy, which is a lot to ask from the grizzled vets.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Geez....and I thought *I* was the resident optimist around here!  Laughing

How ya doin' MEF?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How ya doin' MEF?

[/QUOTE]

HEY S5!! im been enjoying my offseason. Still partying over the championship!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well stated, but they'll look a lot more wonderful if they sign Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, whither Drew is the big quesionmark on this team.  Please.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How ya doin' MEF?

[/QUOTE]

S5, we both know that this season is already over. Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Should be interesting. The AL East is always tough. I think the Yankees are much improved over last year. How much they have closed the gap remains to be seen. I don't think we have improved the club this off season. Much of our success seems to depend on the two rookies. Very talented rookies to be sure, but still rookies at very critical positions. In a tough division like the East , the team that stays healthy and catches a few breaks could take it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Its not just this team that excites me, it's the position it is in as well.

We have a team, that is not that different from a championship caliber team last year. 

We will enough money off the books the next couple years to sign any free agent we want, although I hope we prioritize extending our own youngsters and stars first.

We have the deepest farm system I can ever remember having.

If Ben plays his cards right, with a little luck....we could win a few more World Series over the next 10 years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL  Not yet, not until the first game is lost.  Laughing

@ PG...At one time you used my email address to send me some of your dive pictures.  I had a  MAJOR crash over the winter and lost the link to the room.  If you still have my address please email the link to me.  Thx

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm so happy to be a fan of a team that develops their farm. It's just so awesome not to have to rely on free agents every year to fit the positions you need -- especially with the recent bidding wars. If MLB ever does cap the spending for real, that would just shut some teams down. I hope that is somewhere in the future of baseball. After all, it shouldn't be just about how much money you have to spend. I like the strategic element of acquiring and nuturing talent that one day gets to play a major part in helping the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The AL East is hands down, the most competitive division in all of baseball.  

I pick the Red Sox to win the division this year.  I also think that Toronto will do much better this year since they are now a healthy ballclub.  We shall see.   Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm so happy to be a fan of a team that develops their farm. It's just so awesome not to have to rely on free agents every year to fit the positions you need -- especially with the recent bidding wars. If MLB ever does cap the spending for real, that would just shut some teams down. I hope that is somewhere in the future of baseball. After all, it shouldn't be just about how much money you have to spend. I like the strategic element of acquiring and nuturing talent that one day gets to play a major part in helping the team.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure if they start 'nuturing' the talent....nobody will want to play here....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL  Not yet, not until the first game is lost.  Laughing

@ PG...At one time you used my email address to send me some of your dive pictures.  I had a  MAJOR crash over the winter and lost the link to the room.  If you still have my address please email the link to me.  Thx

[/QUOTE]

Done

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

man..i agree 100%...i love this team!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The offense concerns me. If Ortiz doesn't replicate his 2013, if Napoli regresses, if Bradley and Sizemore can't spell Ellsbury in center, if Middlebrooks doesn't get on base (aside from the occasional homerun), if Pierzynski and Victorino finally get old, if Pedroia stays closer to his 2013 level than 2008, if last year's unbelievable clutch hitting doesn't materialize a second time around, etc., the team could really struggle to score runs. The only hitter I'm confident about right now is Boegarts. The other eight slots in the batting order could easily be worse than they were in 2013, and that's a major problem. I think the pitching will be about the same as last year, even with a regression from Uehara. Hitting is the worry.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox offense is not likely to score as many runs as it did last year.  Losing Ellsbury will hurt, and it is a possibility that we see less production this year from some of the other hitters like Ortiz or Victorino.

That said, the Sox scored 853 runs last year, 57 more runs than the next closest team.  Even with some dropoff in offense, they are still likely to be one of the top 3 offenses this year, if not the best, barring major injuries.  I am not concerned about the offense.

Both the starting rotation and the BP look strong. 

Really my only concern is the apparent lack of depth at SS/3B should Bogaerts or Middlebrooks sustain a serious injury.  Outside of that, I agree that this team looks wonderful and ready to defend its championship!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox offense is not likely to score as many runs as it did last year.  Losing Ellsbury will hurt, and it is a possibility that we see less production this year from some of the other hitters like Ortiz or Victorino.

That said, the Sox scored 853 runs last year, 57 more runs than the next closest team.  Even with some dropoff in offense, they are still likely to be one of the top 3 offenses this year, if not the best, barring major injuries.  I am not concerned about the offense.

Both the starting rotation and the BP look strong. 

Really my only concern is the apparent lack of depth at SS/3B should Bogaerts or Middlebrooks sustain a serious injury.  Outside of that, I agree that this team looks wonderful and ready to defend its championship!

[/QUOTE]

Pedroia will likely be better now that he is healthy, and I expect more production out of Middlebrooks and possibly the SS position as well. Also, we have Dempster's money to buy some offense with. I don't think we will score more than 30 fewer runs or so this year.