This team reminds me of the 1976 team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

This team reminds me of the 1976 team

Believed its press clippings and struggled all year.  Inconsistent pitching, inability to hit in the clutch, mental errors, shoddy defense.  I believe that team had a couple key injuries too, Lynn and Lee.  I tell you what if it wasnt for A Gon, I think this team would be absolutely buried right now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: This team reminds me of the 1976 team

Good call, I was thinking the same thing. Now the pitching staff is better than 76 but then again so is the pitching in the rest of baseball IMO.

In hindsight the 76 team had some glaring holes and perhaps it was the press clippings as much or more than the players believing them that were the issue but it is funny because this same thought crossed my mind tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What about '87, '05, and '08?

High expectations, but...

One difference this year is that although the media and some fans have had high expectations, the somewhat dismal results of the past 3 years has lessened the overconfidence part of the equation that I think might have been present in the above years a little bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The toughest challenge for the '76 team was living up to '75.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wadeandrson. Show wadeandrson's posts

I'm very frustrated too folks. The talent level on this team is not equating to wins on the field. But we still have a long way to go and the Sox are showing a little more fight lately, which is a sign of better times ahead, in my opinion. No question it is taking time for this team to find its identity, but I trust Francona and feel like the Sox are gonna explode any day now.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

It's May 10th. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Luis Tiant
    Rick Wise
    Bill Lee
    Ferguson Jenkins
    Reggie Cleveland

Fisk
    Rooster
    Yaz
    Lynn
    Rice
    Petrocelli

Not a bad team.  Yawkey passed away, and the manager was fired midway through the season.  Wade Boggs was drafted in 1976, and Joe Rudi/Rollie Fingers deal was nixed by the commissioner.

I don't know about you but (Boggs aside) that sounds like TURMOIL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: This team reminds me of the 1976 team:
    [QUOTE]Luis Tiant Rick Wise Bill Lee Ferguson Jenkins Reggie Cleveland Fisk Rooster Yaz Lynn Rice Petrocelli Not a bad team.  Yawkey passed away, and the manager was fired midway through the season.  Wade Boggs was drafted in 1976, and Joe Rudi/Rollie Fingers deal was nixed by the commissioner. I don't know about you but (Boggs aside) that sounds like TURMOIL.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Bruce Hurst was also drafted that year by the Sox in the first round. 

If you recall, the Burleson, Lynn and Fisk held out in the spring of 1976, which is attributed as being a reason for the slow start. There's nothing similar about that this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Nope - but the hold-outs are just one more reason the team failed (a lot of turmoil).  Thanks for the recollection, I had forgotten.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

The good news is it's early May. Looking at a month and change is not a pretty picture, which is why this is still under .500. But part of that is the horrible start.

This team has only one everyday position superstar, AGon. It has two stars in Youk and Pedroia who are coming off of injuries and have yet to return to peak performance levels from recent years.

The corner OF has an aging Drew and the very embarrassing start for Crawford, who is paid like a superstar but will never, ever be one. His swing is ugly and he has high mileage from playing in the big leagues with the antithesis of a graceful stride.

Ortiz is aging out but is having one of his best starts in years.

Offensively, I have no worries that this team will be one of the leading offensive teams in baseball.

Now, let us move to the soft belly issue that was missed by the bad pundits and giddy fan base during the pre-season. A soft belly defense up the middle and a starting pitching staff that appears to be on a better track but is still carrying the same lard profiles of a year ago that were very embarrassing perfomers. Beckett appears to be headed toward one of his good years, but Lackey is continuing to be about as embarrassing as it gets. DiceK has shown recent improved form, but is not reliable for more than a bottom side of the rotation. Buch has not adjusted to VMart leaving, but appears to be starting to adjust. Lester looks solid again, despite his most recent sub-par outing.

Starting pitching and a soft belly up the middle has been sinking the team for years. Ellsbury, Scutaro, now Lowrie, and Varitek and Salty are certainly near the bottom of the league in defensive ability. AGon was a must young superstar acquisition, but neither he nor Crawford changed one iota the weak up the middle defense that the Red Sox have.

Tonight, Varitek was embarrassingly bad behind the plate. He is not even close to a big league defensive catcher anymore, and hasn't been for years. Salty is also quite poor, but perhaps maturity and experience will bring improvement. Ellsbury, despite the point to point speed, plays a deep CF and leaves a massive circle up the middle. He is so poor at running routes he plays deep to give himself extra time to adjust going side to side, avoids having to run as much to his rear, and is unable to keep his upper body quiet when he runs. He has a little league arm. Lowrie and/or Scutaro are 2nd basemen with poor range, slow releases and low velocity on the throws.

This was known for years, yet almost nothing has been done to address it. One would think that Crawford was this needle moving contract, but it did absolutely zero to address a weak defensive middle. Iglesias can't come soon enough.  

Offensively, aggregate season long, I have no worries. 

The starting pitching staff does not have a dominant starter like Pedro in his prime, Felix and Roy. It does have quality depth potential. 

The good news if that a good and healthy starting pitching staff season can take this team to the top, with the soft belly. The bad news is that it will have to be really good or this team is going nowhere.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

The good news is it's early May. Looking at a month and change is not a pretty picture, which is why this is still under .500. But part of that is the horrible start.

This team has only one everyday position superstar, AGon. It has two stars in Youk and Pedroia who are coming off of injuries and have yet to return to peak performance levels from recent years.

The corner OF has an aging Drew and the very embarrassing start for Crawford, who is paid like a superstar but will never, ever be one. His swing is ugly and he has high mileage from playing in the big leagues with the antithesis of a graceful stride.

Ortiz is aging out but is having one of his best starts in years.

Offensively, I have no worries that this team will be one of the leading offensive teams in baseball.

Now, let us move to the soft belly issue that was missed by the bad pundits and giddy fan base during the pre-season. A soft belly defense up the middle and a starting pitching staff that appears to be on a better track but is still carrying the same lard profiles of a year ago that were very embarrassing perfomers. Beckett appears to be headed toward one of his good years, but Lackey is continuing to be about as embarrassing as it gets. DiceK has shown recent improved form, but is not reliable for more than a bottom side of the rotation. Buch has not adjusted to VMart leaving, but appears to be starting to adjust. Lester looks solid again, despite his most recent sub-par outing.

Starting pitching and a soft belly up the middle has been sinking the team for years. Ellsbury, Scutaro, now Lowrie, and Varitek and Salty are certainly near the bottom of the league in defensive ability. AGon was a must young superstar acquisition, but neither he nor Crawford changed one iota the weak up the middle defense that the Red Sox have.

Tonight, Varitek was embarrassingly bad behind the plate. He is not even close to a big league defensive catcher anymore, and hasn't been for years. Salty is also quite poor, but perhaps maturity and experience will bring improvement. Ellsbury, despite the point to point speed, plays a deep CF and leaves a massive circle up the middle. He is so poor at running routes he plays deep to give himself extra time to adjust going side to side, avoids having to run as much to his rear, and is unable to keep his upper body quiet when he runs. He has a little league arm. Lowrie and/or Scutaro are 2nd basemen with poor range, slow releases and low velocity on the throws.

This was known for years, yet almost nothing has been done to address it. One would think that Crawford was this needle moving contract, but it did absolutely zero to address a weak defensive middle. Iglesias can't come soon enough.  

Offensively, aggregate season long, I have no worries. 

The starting pitching staff does not have a dominant starter like Pedro in his prime, Felix and Roy. It does have quality depth potential. 

The good news if that a good and healthy starting pitching staff season can take this team to the top, with the soft belly. The bad news is that it will have to be really good or this team is going nowhere.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: This team reminds me of the 1976 team:
    [QUOTE]The good news is it's early May. Looking at a month and change is not a pretty picture, which is why this is still under .500. But part of that is the horrible start. This team has only one everyday position superstar, AGon. It has two stars in Youk and Pedroia who are coming off of injuries and have yet to return to peak performance levels from recent years.   The corner OF has an aging Drew and the very embarrassing start for Crawford, who is paid like a superstar but will never, ever be one. His swing is ugly and he has high mileage from playing in the big leagues with the antithesis of a graceful stride. Ortiz is aging out but is having one of his best starts in years. Offensively, I have no worries that this team will be one of the leading offensive teams in baseball. Now, let us move to the soft belly issue that was missed by the bad pundits and giddy fan base during the pre-season. A soft belly defense up the middle and a starting pitching staff that appears to be on a better track but is still carrying the same lard profiles of a year ago that were very embarrassing perfomers. Beckett appears to be headed toward one of his good years, but Lackey is continuing to be about as embarrassing as it gets. DiceK has shown recent improved form, but is not reliable for more than a bottom side of the rotation. Buch has not adjusted to VMart leaving, but appears to be starting to adjust. Lester looks solid again, despite his most recent sub-par outing. Starting pitching and a soft belly up the middle has been sinking the team for years. Ellsbury, Scutaro, now Lowrie, and Varitek and Salty are certainly near the bottom of the league in defensive ability. AGon was a must young superstar acquisition, but neither he nor Crawford changed one iota the weak up the middle defense that the Red Sox have. Tonight, Varitek was embarrassingly bad behind the plate. He is not even close to a big league defensive catcher anymore, and hasn't been for years. Salty is also quite poor, but perhaps maturity and experience will bring improvement. Ellsbury, despite the point to point speed, plays a deep CF and leaves a massive circle up the middle. He is so poor at running routes he plays deep to give himself extra time to adjust going side to side, avoids having to run as much to his rear, and is unable to keep his upper body quiet when he runs. He has a little league arm. Lowrie and/or Scutaro are 2nd basemen with poor range, slow releases and low velocity on the throws. This was known for years, yet almost nothing has been done to address it. One would think that Crawford was this needle moving contract, but it did absolutely zero to address a weak defensive middle. Iglesias can't come soon enough.   Offensively, aggregate season long, I have no worries.  The starting pitching staff does not have a dominant starter like Pedro in his prime, Felix and Roy. It does have quality depth potential.  The good news if that a good and healthy starting pitching staff season can take this team to the top, with the soft belly. The bad news is that it will have to be really good or this team is going nowhere.  
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

A lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This team doesn not remind me of any particular incarnation that "believed its press clippings".  Just a club searching for its footing.  Losses like last night seem so devastating because of the numerical comfort we want to feel in getting to .500 after the dismal start.  But, since the horrific 0-6 jump off, the club, while not dominating, has been winning and playing well, even though they haven't put it all together for any stretch yet.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

Sections
Shortcuts