This year's June MLB baseball draft - Redsox Draft ideas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This year's June MLB baseball draft - Redsox Draft ideas?

This year's draft is supposed to be the best in years. Very deep and we have a lot of picks ready to go for letting Victor and Adrian go to FA. I stumbled upon a decent overview of the top 25 or so potential draftees and thought I'd start things off with that:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/05/02/draft.top.players/index.html?sct=mlb_bf2_a3

One of the guys listed, Alex Mayer, was drafted earlier by the Sox but decided not to sign. He has gone on to do very well and maybe is a guy they are still interested in:

20. Alex Meyer, RHP, University of Kentucky. Big-time, 6'9" talent "could go anywhere from top five all the way down to a sandwich pick.'' Brilliance can give way to inconsistency. Has hit 100 mph.

Rumors are that they are looking strongly at catching prospect Tyler Marlette ( From SI's Jon Heyman ):

"One more interesting name who could be drafted high beyond Monday's list of the top 25 draft-eligible prospects is Tyler Marlette, a high school catcher from the Orlando area. Marlette is an excellent catch-and-throw guy, says one scout, and with catchers at a premium he could go within the first two rounds. The Red Sox are showing interest, though he wouldn't solve their immediate catching question."

I'd like to keep this thread active and use it as a resource for tracking Redsox draft prospects. Feel free to contribute of course!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: This year's June MLB baseball draft - Redsox Draft ideas?

So who do you like Boom? I'm not familiar enough with the amateur talent to offer an informed opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I've gotta be honest and just say "Heck if I know". I'm not aware of the details of these guys enough to know which ones are the best value. 

Just reading through the list though we are seeing 3-4 guys who can touch 100. We are seeing lots of toolsy OF. The depth blows away last year's draft.

I'd like to see the Sox actually spend a pick in the first 2 rounds on a top catching prospect. The Yankees keep drafting top catching prospect after catching prospect and it's paying off. They are great trade value in addition sorely needed for this team. I recognize that drafting fast, toolsy guys or top arms probably gives us a better likelihood of success but maybe we can take just one top catching prospect, in one draft in 5 years?

We probably end up picking a top arm IMO as there will be substantial pitching talent still available at #20.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It seems like we have plenty of arms in the system. Marlette might be an intriguing guy. As you said, can't have enough catchers in the system. What's going on with Ibarra anyway? I haven't heard much about him lately.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good work Boom. Your enthusiasm for the draft andour kids in the minors is unmatched on this board.

Do you know each number ofour picks this year? I know we have a lot out of the first 70 or so.

What a great situation we have now with our lower minors packed already and more to add soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"What's going on with Ibarra anyway? I haven't heard much about him lately."

I might be wrong but I think he's rehabbing from an injury.  So far all our Cuban imports seem to be busts at the plate.  Iglesias, Linares, and Padron have all been pretty terrible offensively so far.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: This year's June MLB baseball draft - Redsox Draft ideas?:
    [QUOTE]I've gotta be honest and just say "Heck if I know". I'm not aware of the details of these guys enough to know which ones are the best value.  Just reading through the list though we are seeing 3-4 guys who can touch 100. We are seeing lots of toolsy OF. The depth blows away last year's draft. I'd like to see the Sox actually spend a pick in the first 2 rounds on a top catching prospect. The Yankees keep drafting top catching prospect after catching prospect and it's paying off. They are great trade value in addition sorely needed for this team. I recognize that drafting fast, toolsy guys or top arms probably gives us a better likelihood of success but maybe we can take just one top catching prospect, in one draft in 5 years? We probably end up picking a top arm IMO as there will be substantial pitching talent still available at #20.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Is there a draft for managers??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Slav...heres what I found on this years draft...

This year the Sox pick at 19, 26, 36, 40, 81 (first two rounds)
    The Rays pick at 24, 31, 32, 38, 41, 42, 52, 56, 59,60, 75, 89
    The Jays pick at 21, 35, 46, 53, 57, 74, 78
    The Os pick at 4, 53, 64
    The Yankees pick at 51, 88.

also this on top 15 catchers

http://diamondscapescouting.com/rankings_2011_preseason_catcher.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's the draft order from Riveraveblues.com:

First Round

1. Pirates
    2. Mariners
    3. Diamondbacks
    4. Orioles
    5. Royals
    6. Nationals
    7. Diamondbacks (for unsigned 2010 first rounder Barret Loux)
    8. Indians
    9. Cubs
    10. Padres (for unsigned 2010 first rounder Karsten Whitson)
    11. Astros
    12. Brewers
    13. Mets
    14. Marlins
    15. Brewers (for unsigned 2010 first rounder Dylan Covey)
    16. Dodgers
    17. Angels
    18. Athletics
    19. Red Sox (from Tigers for Type-A Victor Martinez)
    20. Rockies
    21. Blue Jays
    22. Cardinals
    23. Nationals (from White Sox for Type-A Adam Dunn)
    24. Rays (from Red Sox for Type-A Carl Crawford)
    25. Padres
    26. Red Sox (from Rangers for Type-A Adrian Beltre)
    27. Reds
    28. Braves
    29. Giants
    30. Twins
    31. Rays (from Yankees for Type-A Rafael Soriano)
    32. Rays
    33. Rangers (from Phillies for Type-A Cliff Lee)
    34. Supplemental First Round

35. Nationals (for Type-A Adam Dunn)
    36. Blue Jays (for Type-A Scott Downs)
    37. Red Sox (for Type-A Victor Martinez)
    38. Rangers (for Type-A Cliff Lee)
    39. Rays (for Type-A Carl Crawford)
    40. Phillies (for Type-A Jayson Werth)
    41. Red Sox (for Type-A Adrian Beltre)
    42. Rays (for Type-A Grant Balfour)
    43. Rays (for Type-A Rafael Soriano)
    44. Diamondbacks (for Type-B Adam LaRoche)
    45. Mets (for Type-B Pedro Feliciano)
    46. Rockies (for Type-B Octavio Dotel)
    47. Blue Jays (for Type-B John Buck)
    48. White Sox (for Type-B J.J. Putz)
    49. Padres (for Type-B Jon Garland)
    50. Giants (for Type-B Juan Uribe)
    51. Twins (for Type-B Jesse Crain)
    52. Yankees (for Type-B Javy Vazquez)
    53. Rays (for Type-B Joaquin Benoit)
    54. Blue Jays (for Type-B Miguel Olivo)
    55. Padres (for Type-B Yorvit Torrealba)
    56. Twins (for Type-B Orlando Hudson)
    57. Rays (for Type-B Randy Choate)
    58. Blue Jays (for Type-B Kevin Gregg)
    59. Padres (for Type-B Kevin Correia)
    60. Rays (for Type-B Brad Hawpe)
    61. Rays (for Type-B Chad Qualls)
    62. Second Round

63. Pirates
    64. Mariners
    65. Diamondbacks
    66. Orioles
    67. Royals
    68. Phillies (from Nationals for Type-A Jayson Werth)
    69. Indians
    70. Cubs
    71. Astros
    72. Brewers
    73. Mets
    74. Marlins
    75. Dodgers
    76. Blue Jays (from Angels for Type-A Scott Downs)
    77. Rays (from Athletics for Type-B Grant Balfour)
    78. Tigers
    79. Rockies
    80. Blue Jays
    81. Cardinals
    82. White Sox
    83. Red Sox
    84. Padres
    85. Rangers
    86. Reds
    87. Braves
    88. Giants
    89. Twins
    90. Yankees
    91. Rays
    92. Phillies
    93. Third Round

94. Pirates
    95. Mariners
    96. Diamondbacks
    97. Orioles
    98. Royals
    99. Nationals
    100. Indians
    101. Cubs
    102. Astros
    103. Brewers
    104. Mets
    105. Marlins
    106. Dodgers
    107. Angels
    108. Athletics
    109. Tigers
    110. Rockies
    111. Blue Jays
    112. Cardinals
    113. White Sox
    114. Red Sox
    115. Padres
    116. Rangers
    117. Reds
    118. Braves
    119. Giants
    120. Twins
    121. Yankees
    122. Rays
    123. Phillies
    124. Supplemental Third Round

125. Mariners (for unsigned 2010 third rounder Ryne Stanek)
    126. Fourth Round (and every round thereafter)

127. Pirates
    128. Mariners
    129. Diamondbacks
    130. Orioles
    131. Royals
    132. Nationals
    133. Indians
    134. Cubs
    135. Astros
    136. Brewers
    137. Mets
    138. Marlins
    139. Dodgers
    140. Angels
    141. Athletics
    142. Tigers
    143. Rockies
    144. Blue Jays
    145. Cardinals
    146. White Sox
    147. Red Sox
    148. Padres
    149. Rangers
    150. Reds
    151. Braves
    152. Giants
    153. Twins
    154. Yankees
    155. Rays
    156. Phillies

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Thanks for the follow up info guys. It looks like the Rays are looking for a record draft haul! 12 freaking picks in the top 89. Un Real!

We have 4 picks in the top 40. That is excellent. 

Ibarra is out most of the year with an injury. Padron is looking like a non factor anyway but Iglesias and Linares are starting off slowly. It's still early though.

Southpaw777, thanks a lot for your link. There are tons of great draftee resources out there. I love seeing them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No problem Boom..glad to share..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Is there a draft for managers??"

"Don't forget "THE FRANCONA FACTOR" The opposition counts on it !!!"

Way to stick to the topic BOSOX1941Talk about a one trick pony.  Are you even capable of taking part in an intelligent conversation about baseball??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays should really be able to stock up, but I like the fact that we have 4 of the top 40. Since the Sox are willing to pay more, we often get some better players than teams who draft earlier.

It will be years before we see the fruits of this draft, but it's a nice thought knowing we are building for the long run as well as going for it all in the short term as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

For some reason Moon, we often blow the top pick on someone who is not strong. We then get serious in the supplemental roound on down. I don't get it but that is what we often do. It is not unusual for us to sign our top pick for a lot less than 4-5 of the other guys we draft. 

I understand the concept of overslot signings later on in the draft but why waste the top slot when we can draft another Coyle or Ranaudo right there and sign him for the same money as that #50 pick who drops due to signing considerations.

I also like having 4 picks in the top 40. I hope we use them aggressively. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]"Is there a draft for managers??" "Don't forget "THE FRANCONA FACTOR" The opposition counts on it !!!" Way to stick to the topic BOSOX1941 .  Talk about a one trick pony.  Are you even capable of taking part in an intelligent conversation about baseball??
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

The answer is no.. from what Ive seen from his posts..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think its all about pitchers and catchers this year..Well, its about pitchers every year, but from what Ive read, the Sox are thinking catcher this year with some nice looking C prospects on the board.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Hey Boom, Love the thread, think you know i also love the minor leagues and believe from building through your own system. I had just read someones update last week, memory fails me here, but I cannot find the article was a good one. But I thought this might be helpful also.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/12/2104894/top-high-school-pitchers-for-2011-baseball-draft

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/15/2113496/top-high-school-hitters-for-2011-draft-part-one

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/18/2113663/top-high-school-hitters-for-2011-draft-part-two

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a post from today's (May 8) MLBTraderumors.com:

20. Red Sox GM Theo Epstein was personally scouting UConn RHP Matt Barnes tonight, reports Dom Amore of The Hartford Courant (on Twitter). Barnes is expected to go in the first round this year, in which the Red Sox have two picks.

21. Here's the article from Hartfordcourant.com:

NORWICH - The usual horde of scouts made it to Dodd Stadium to see Matt Barnes pitch for UConn on Saturday night. Barnes is considered a first-round pick.

The Red Sox pick 19th in the draft and could get a shot at him. GM Theo Epstein made the trip - the first time he'd ever been to Dodd Stadium. Epstein sat behind home plate, halfway up the grandstand, and occasionally held the radar gun himself.

Barnes was unfazed. "As powerful as he is, he is just another person in the stands," Barnes said. "I can't control what happens [in the draft]."

Barnes, pitching the early innings in twilight, was awesome in the game. He allowed three hits in eight innings, striking out 10. He froze a number of hitters with his slider, and used his two-seamer, which has had scouts talking this spring, to get enough quick outs to get deep in the game. He threw 111 pitches.

UConn won the game, 2-1, and opened a four-game lead in the Big East. There will be much more on the game in the Sunday Courant.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, it's always hard to know if the draft went well of not. You here so many different analyses and conclusions.

I trust Theo in this area, and having 4 of the top 40 should mean we get 1-2 players that should help at some point.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I found this on Tyler Marlette at perfectgame.org:

Tyler Marlette is a 2011 C/3B with a 5-11 200 lb. frame from Oviedo, FL who attends Hagerty HS. Strong loose mature build. Outstanding defensive tools, extremely strong arm, stays low, flexible lower half, quick actions, on line throws with plus accuracy. Right handed hitter, open bent knee stance, quick hands, pretty short to the ball, looking to pull and lift, shows present power and nice extension out front, ball comes off hard. Top level talent, potential high draft pick. Good student, signed with U. Central Florida.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm bringing this back to the top.Our little friend had a busy morning bumping up all the old threads.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]To me, it's always hard to know if the draft went well of not. You here so many different analyses and conclusions. I trust Theo in this area, and having 4 of the top 40 should mean we get 1-2 players that should help at some point.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Especially in baseball Moon.. Its probably the hardest to predict. Now you start looking at high school kids and the potential for predicting the players potential for 5 years down the road is even more of a gamble. The Sox FO & scouting Dept. have done a fantastic job finding, drafting and developing these kids over the last decade (almost). I trust their judgement.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Boom, Love the thread, think you know i also love the minor leagues and believe from building through your own system. I had just read someones update last week, memory fails me here, but I cannot find the article was a good one. But I thought this might be helpful also. http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/12/2104894/top-high-school-pitchers-for-2011-baseball-draft http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/15/2113496/top-high-school-hitters-for-2011-draft-part-one http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/18/2113663/top-high-school-hitters-for-2011-draft-part-two
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

Great stuff Promise!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has anyone posted a mock draft?