Thoughts in 2015

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Thoughts in 2015

Here is some thoughts on 2015, something I never hoped to write in early August.

The lineup could very well be set already.  Napoli, Pedroia and Ortiz are all but etched in stone.  Vazquez is likely the catcher, probably backed up by some veteran free agent, like Ross, Mathis, Laird or Hundley.  Bogaerts will take one of SS or 3B, probably SS.  3B will be one of Middlebrooks, Cecchini or Holt, with Cecchini being the least likely in April.

The outfield could be Craig-Cespedes-Victorino or Craig-Bradley-Cespedes.  Betts is probably in AAA until there is an injury, which is inevitable with Craig and Victorino. 

Basically, it looks like the lineup is already here.

Pitching is tricky.  Starters we know of are Buchholz, Kelly and De La Rosa.  While fans would appear to like some frontline additions, as that is the roster construction style fans, know, love and cannot perceive of life without, I expect some disappointment in this regard.  And the way MLB is moving, offense is becoming the greater premium than starting pitching. .  Offense has been dropping across the board for the past few years, likely due to the weaning of steroids from the game, which makes sense as there is an inherent advantage to the pitcher that is part of the basic structure of the game.  The days of expecting 30-40% of the payroll dedicated to the starting pitching rotation are slipping away.  Look at the type of players the elite pitchers were dealt for, and you will notice not one was a young, heralded starting pitcher or prospect.  GM’s do appear to be following this trend.  This doesn’t mean a terrific rotation is worthless.  But it does mean it isn’t the only avenue to winning.  Teams like Baltimore, Toronto, and Anaheim, are all winning with fairly mediocre rotations, as was Oakland before the overhaul.  So what this means in Boston is that  it is possible a “big name” acquisition like Scherzer or Lester might not happen.  I don’t expect the Sox to sit tight, but it would not surprise me if they aimed a little lower, and went after good, but not elite, pitchers like Jarrod Parker and/or Brett Anderson (whose $12mill option probably won’t be picked up by Colorado), and also counted on some of the younger guys like Escobar, Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens and Johnson to fill in.  They will need a lot of fill-in time if they go after injury-prone guys like Parker and Anderson, and these acquisitions do look a little “Duquette-ish” to me.

I do expect a trade or two, with some of the likely fodder including Marrero and Webster.  (Parker for Marrero and Webster?  It looks “Beane-ish” to me in its lack of elite bank-breaking prospects.)

The bullpen could include a few returners like Tazawa, Mujica, and Workman, and some of the kids like Layne, Hembree and Webster, if he is not dealt.   I do assume they will try to re-sign Uehara, and maybe bring back Miller. Any acquisition here probably won’t be a major name player, and probably no one more expensive than Miller.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Thoughts in 2015

Sounds pretty bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm inclined to think the FO will attempt a couple of big acquisitions by trade or FA.  And yes, I believe this will be at least partially motivated by box office concerns.  You may not have to keep the fans happy all the time, but you have to at least appear that you're trying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If we are not aiming at front starters this off-season, we need to add one or more solid bats in the line-up.  And Sox could also use our farm to land an ace. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If good hitting and "alright" pitching is really the route we take, we'll be waiting a few more years before another shot at a WS is really a serious possibility. I'm not buying that's the way of the future, at least not if you want to win championships.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

That looks like it.  the only addition that i expect is Stanton. 

other names i have posted under:  none

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox have beefed up the offense going into next year with additions of Craig and Cespedes.  I also would expect to get more production out of Bogaerts and Vasquez at SS and C.  We could see better production from JBJ and Middlebrooks as well although at this point I don't think that's anything to bank on, still I would feel fairly confident in assuming we see something at least marginally better out of them.

The offense as it stands now should be better, and the farm kids should also be much closer to being MLB ready, making our "depth" more of an asset.

I truly believe we need to go out and get an ace.  With such a low payroll it doesn't make since for this F.O. to not go out and sign a big name this offseason (or two).  In the absence of such a move we would see the lowest payroll we've seen in over a decade.  It just doesn't add up to assume they will sit on their hands. 

I could still see them trading for a big bat and signing a free agent pitcher, or vis versa.  But all things considered....the offense should be much better next year as is now. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

.........cue in the Debbie downers!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If good hitting and "alright" pitching is really the route we take, we'll be waiting a few more years before another shot at a WS is really a serious possibility. I'm not buying that's the way of the future, at least not if you want to win championships.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I've been through the "all hit, no pitch" years with the Sox.

I prefer not to go back there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I can't see the team not having a payroll close to the luxury limit, or maybe even a little over that.  They have never not spent before.  I also can't see the FO trading Lester for Cespedes rather than a package of prospects if they weren't committed to being serious contenders next season.

I agree, the offense is probably more or less set, with the possible exception of either SS or 3B.  I expect the acquisition of at least one elite pitcher and also a pitcher the next step down from elite.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I hope Sox bring back Lester and sign Shields for 3 yrs and give him 1 or 2 options if other teams go hard on Shields.  We can't count on Buch any more and we need a #2 guy as well.  If Buch gets his mental straight and pitches well, we have two #2 guys.  If Shields sign with another team, I would look for a trade with our deep farm.  Two appealing names that I think could be available if Sox are willing to push are Cueto and Iwakuma.  They both have $10M and $7M club options which guaranteed to be picked up by their teams.  But at the same time, I can't see their teams extending these two beyond next season.  I know Reds and M's are contending teams going into 2015 season but Reds know they can't afford Cueto long term and could be willing to at least listen on Cueto this off-season.  I think they could be interested enough in our players that could get this deal done.  Iwakuma won't cost as much as Cueto in the open market but I don't think M's will extend him with their young SPs waiting in the wing.  They need to spend that money on more bats, not on Iwakuma.  So they might be willing to listen on Iwakuma as well.  He's been one of the consistent pitcher for past 3 seasons.  He's the type of pitcher Sox want.  He throws strikes and rarely walks batters.  His split finger fastballs are as nasty as Koji's.  He's been pitching in the pitcher friendly park but he can induce lots of ground balls.  If Cueto lands with the Sox, he will be our ace and Iwakuma should be one of the best #2 guy. Napoli + some cash and Iwakuma swap could be interesting IMO.  If Allen Craig comes back healthy and finishes strong, Craig could be our full-time 1B going into 2015 season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Iwakuma and Cueto have dirt cheap club options for next deason

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Maybe its other opinions here, not Debbie Downers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Iwakuma and Cueto have dirt cheap club options for next deason

[/QUOTE]

I thought I said that already. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

When it's the same people who whine and cry and B*** every day...EVEN LAST YEAR when we were in the playoffs....

then yes...they are Debbie Downers.  Their powers have only grown stronger due to a losing season but I will call them what they are.

Also we are talking about next year.  We still have good core players, a strong farm, and all the payroll flexibility a large market team could ever dream for.  There is literally tons of reasons to be optimistic so yes...if you are already predicting bad things for 2015 then I'm calling you a debbie downer.

Heck even if it was TRUE....They'd still be a bunch of debbie downers. 

Debbie Downer...Debbie Downer...Debbie Downers. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sounds pretty bad.

[/QUOTE]

You're being too nice. Sounds like the SOX will be living in the basement next year, also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to janicesox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When it's the same people who whine and cry and B*** every day...EVEN LAST YEAR when we were in the playoffs....

then yes...they are Debbie Downers.  Their powers have only grown stronger due to a losing system but I will call them what they are.

Also we are talking about next year.  We still have good core players, a strong farm, and all the payroll flexibility a large market team could ever dream for.  There is literally tons of reasons to be optimistic so yes...if you are already predicting bad things for 2015 then I'm calling you a debbie downer.

[/QUOTE]

+20

[/QUOTE]

Debbie does Pike.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Debbie downer syndrome is a very serious syndrome that can lead to all kinda of delusions like "the Sox are trying to lose" and "the team must be up for sale" 

Time to spread awareness people.  FIGHT BACK against DDS

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

then yes...they are Debbie Downers.  Their powers have only grown stronger due to a losing season but I will call them what they are.

[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, did you stick out your lower lip in a pout and stamp your feet as you wrote this

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, did you stick out your lower lip in a pout and stamp your feet as you wrote this

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much exactly what I was going for there....I'm glad someone got it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

Debbie downer syndrome is a very serious syndrome that can lead to all kinda of delusions like "the Sox are trying to lose" and "the team must be up for sale" 

Time to spread awareness people.  FIGHT BACK against DDS

[/QUOTE]

It's way to early to be excited or down on 2015.  Since there's not much else to talk about I guess this subject is as good as any.

I hope 2015 will be a great year for the sox.  The young players have potential so I don't have a reason to be down.  I think some of the young guys were brought up too early so they had a lot of pressure put on them.  

I believe a new start with some new guys next year is exactly what this team needs and it can't come soon enough for me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much exactly what I was going for there....I'm glad someone got it. 

[/QUOTE]

I may be annoying but I am clever LOL!

Sections
Shortcuts