Thoughts on beer in clubhouse AGAIN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Thoughts on beer in clubhouse AGAIN

I know there are a few threads out there. I'm not getting into Hags or Lackey or Beckett individually, I just have some thoughts on the thing, overall, that I don't think is getting much play.

1) Valentine said, in ST, he was banning beer in the clubhouse. Also specifically mentioned plane rides home. In now way did ANYONE not around the team every day ralize they were splitting hairs and allowing it on the road clubhouses, just not at Fenway. That being the case, Valentine shouldn't have said ANYTHING to that end, ever.

2) "These are grown men". I'm SO SICK of this argument. When they atart acting and holding themselves accountable like grown men, this won't be a discussion.

3) "It's been that way in baseball for 100 years!". Again, infantile, ignorant argument. Let's wind back 100 years with everything else, while we're at it. Attitudes towards women, minorities, polluition, etc. Let's forget evolving and get stuck in one, booze-laden rut. Brilliant.

Finally, after all the flak they have caught, all the criticism they have brought down on themselves...they still just simply don't get it. They continue going along, doing things as they have for the pat 3 years as if it's been working.

NEWS FLASH!

It hasn't been working. THese players deserve every bit of criticism they are hearing, and for reporters to fall back and say THEY all knew about it is a joke. Had fans known about this since that 1-5 ROAD START, I think a lot more people would have been complaining about it.

Keep making excuses for these multi-millionaires, that's a good idea. Guys that don't have enough self respect to take themselves seriously are getting defended by the people paying their salaries. It's comical.

For anyone that believes in Karma, or higher powers, or anything like that...how can you look at this team and not see the smiting of the baseball gods?

It won't get better until the players change their attitude. The players won't change THEIR attitude until ownership does. Ownership won't change THEIR attitudes until that fans do.

What will/would it take for fans to finally be disgusted with, and turn their back on this nonsense? WOuld someone have to say "F### Boston", on the mound, at Fenway, while IN a Boston uniform? Because, Lackey already did that. Would they have to record the worst collapse in baseball history? The team did that already.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Thoughts on beer in clubhouse AGAIN

Does it really matter what they are doing in the club house at this point ? Who cares ? The Red Sox are irrelevent at this point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

To quote joe madden the whole thing is bullsh!t

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on beer in clubhouse AGAIN:
    [QUOTE]the whole BEER!!! thing is overblown and silly. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

In a really bad season, in which I understand virtually nothing that has happened since last September, this is about the craziest.

How many adults, that aren't alcoholics, drink?

What does it have to do with anything?

Why can I have a beer after work, but Middlebrooks can't?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Of course it's overblown if it were really about having a beer or two after the game.  That's not really what it's about.  It's about a guy that has clearly been a drag on this team.  Even Lou Merloni, who played with the guy & generally relates to the players side of things, thinks Lackey is a "BAD INFLUENCE" on the team, especially the young pitchers like Lester.  He's absolutely right!  Lackey should have been dealt, or outright released!  He's a joke, & his dips-hit, fat faced, idiot, frat boy, don't worry be happy, hang a bottle opener by his locker, mentality is what's killing this team.  So, it's not really about the beer at all!  It's about a guy who clearly doesn't take playing for the Red Sox seriously, & he's dumb enough to try to stick it up our arsses.  He wants to hang a bottle opener between his & Beckett's locker, or openly walk around two fist*ing it???  NO problem.  Just get ready to hear about it!  Some want to shut up, bend over, & take it??  No problem.  Others are going to hammer the guy, as they should.

This guy needs to be GONE!  I admit it.  I've hated the guy long before he came to Boston.  He was lucky enough to pitch in the worst hitters league in the MLB & get a moron GM & Co. to give him an insane contract.  UNBELIEVABLE!  This is all about guys like Lackey dragging this team into the sewer!  The Sox MUST CLEAN HOUSE in the off season.  Just get rid of anybody who doesn't take playing for this team seriously!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Ma6Dragon loves to debate, he lives for it. He joins Andrewmitch and Dannycater with that obsession. Remember the thread about the Leominster cop, need I say more?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

No, I don't. Please enlighten me.

All I ever wrote about that situation was a bad joke calling Mexicans Sundays, and Irishmen Fridays.

Thatnks Zac, that's exactly it, beer isn't the issue, it's what the beer represents, the attitude it shows, the commitment it DOESN'T point to. And, above all, a total lack of accountability STILL for what happened last year. Until they either accept what they did was wrong, and genuinely move on from it,

or,

get rid of most of the guys involved, it will continue to bury this team.

The scariest part is I see no sign of accuntability on the part of the players, and no desire by ownership to change it. So nothing will change. It will be more of this next year as well. I guess we'll ride it out until these contracts are over, toiling away around .500. That p!sses me off. People make mistakes, but to NOT LEARN FROM IT is totally unacceptable. Yeah, these guys sure act like "men" and deserve to be treated as such.

Players can drink beer if they want. DO IT AT HOME! Or at a bar or eatery. To do it in the clubhouse is thumbing their noses at all the recent failures and criticism. They feel and act as if they are above it all. It's a disgrace.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Stay in shape.  Avoid injuries.  Work like hell to be the best you can be.  Play your heart out on the field.......   Then, NOBODY is going to have a problem with you having a beer in the clubhouse after the game.  Yes!  It's ridiculous that we have to be talking about this, but guys like Lackey have ruined the clubhouse for the rest of his teammates.  Lackey & Beckett made this an issue!  They both must go!  & anybody who has adopted their attitudes!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Ma6Dragon loves to debate, he lives for it. He joins Andrewmitch and Dannycater with that obsession. Remember the thread about the Leominster cop, need I say more?

No, you need not, wet blanket boy.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I don't care what the players do when they're not playing long as they perform. That's the problem, when you don't perform it brings scrutiny. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Yawn

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

What, exactly, is the point of this photo?

To prove that Hags drinks beer?

Congratulations.

I'm having trouble understanding why you're even a poster here. You offer no insight, few opinions about the game...all you do is parade around and tell other posters why they either are wrong, or aren't really fans.

You must feel awesome about yourself to make it your job to drag everyone down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on beer in clubhouse AGAIN : need I say more? LOL there's one thing we can all agree on dragon made several good points to bad many here can't grasp the idea it's not about beer it's deeper than that
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

The only point I semi-agree with is that BV should've explained the policy better.  Saying that we are banning beer, only to find out we are limiting beer, doesn't make much sense to me, but not all that important.  It makes sense from a liability perspective that you don't offer beer to people that might be driving, but I have never made that distinction in my house when I throw a party.

Say they are grown men is a throw away line, as is 'it's been going on for 100 years'.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with someone having a beer after work, sans the DUI argument.

I am going to the game on Monday.  If my company loses money on Monday, which it will, should I not have a beer?  If I can't get a glitch in the system to work on Monday, should I not have a beer?  Will any one of the 7B people in the world be affected if I have a beer?

I need a reason why someone shouldn't be allowed to drink.  And it has to be more than to make RS fans feel better.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

do you deny there's a issue / problem with  players

not having  all that much respect for their manager

Sure, but I always had to earn my respect.  The lack of resepct for BV is fairly universal.

would you respect a guy who bans beer at home but not on the road

or would you like me, roll your eyes

If the policy was better described, I don't think anyone would have an issue.  Just say, 'we're banning beer at home and plane rides home because we don't want to encourage drinking and driving.  But to leave the press with the wrong idea just hurts us in the long run.

I still think the press/ fans dropped the ball

with beckett taking the  limo durring ST

right after bobby said no limos all on the TEAM BUS

did bobby back down

did beckett go over his head ?

or did beckett just ignore him?

would you respect the mgr more or less after that

I'd say we don't know enough.

1-If he went over BV's head, then there is an issue between BV and BC, and in this case, I'd side with BV.

2-If Beckett simply ignored him, I'd have Beckett running laps until there were tears in his eyes.

3-If BV backed down, I'd have to know why.  Did Beckett tell him he need to go to Hooters, or was he raising money for infants and orphans?  This is one of the reasons why I am not a big fans of the absolute rules.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Ah at this point it really doesn't matter. Let them drink. (And yes, because it's A-Gon that supported it, and anything he says goes.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Two beers a day is supposed to be good for your cholesterol and will increase your good cholesterol ( HDL). In excess ( see Billy Martin, Mickey Mantle) it can wreak havoc with your health. another thread started by Dragon that is much ado about nothing.

Yup.  I have no issue with WMB having a beer last night to ease the pain.

Past that, everything else is relative.  Having 2 Coors' Lights barely register on your BAC.  OTOH, having 8 Heinekens before hitting the clubs, like Miggy Cabrera, is an issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I don't care what the players do when they're not playing long as they perform. That's the problem, when you don't perform it brings scrutiny. 
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]Fair enough, but the scrutiny is misguided in this case.

The RS are where they are because they signed a series of pitchers to larger long term deals (Lester, Lackey, Buch, Dice K and Beckett) that for various reasons have not pitched well for awhile now. Lester and Beckett have been shockingly ineffective.

Then of course you have a prolific number of injuries this season, the Crawford signing and a manager that while not the problem, given his poor communication skills and narcissistic nature was ill suited to lead this team and create a "new culture".

But it is much easier to write stories about guys who were already villafied in 2011 than it is to get into the complex series of events dating back to late 2008 that have led the RS to be a .500 team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lester and Beckett have been shockingly ineffective.

Like as has been mentioned in here ad nuaseum, if Beckett and Lester pitched like they did last year, we might be in 1st.  Would Ross be allowed a beer if those two pitched well, but he is not allowed a beer if they pitch badly?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm neither for it or against it. However if it is the root cause for terrible sloppy or inept ballplayers then it's time to close the case and dump the guys who can't control their urges too drink beer when on the payroll. Lackey is just another crude Texan and he and his friends from Texas(Crawford,Buchholz,Beckett) like too hoot and howl at the moon! Too bad they can't play baseball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

A beer or two a day before you pitch, or after the game? 

What's the big deal??

I played semi-pro ball and drank beer the day before I pitched and had a beer with the guys after the game.  I really don't see why people are making issue with this rediculous, common occurance in any clubhouse.

Get a reality check, guys...

Sections
Shortcuts