Thoughts on the AL and NL playoffs....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Thoughts on the AL and NL playoffs....

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Tough loss for the O's, but they have fought back all year long.

Go O's!

hey Moon, gotta admit, didn't feel good going into the 10th, knowing how sick they've been in extras..

Why - the two games they lost in Extra Innings were to the Yankees. NY had them right where they wanted.

Hopefully NY wraps it up today. I think they will be playing more relaxed today and ends it.

Baltimore next year - watch out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One of the most pressure-filled situations in sports is closing a post season game against the Yankees in a sold out Stadium.  The short porch looks even shorter.  The crowd screams. The closer clutches the ball tighter. I have seen some of the best absolutely fall apart. Guys like Trevor Hoffman and Joe Nathan.  Jim Johnson is not up to the task.  No chance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Go O's!

Before yesterday's loss, the O's were 16-2 in extra innings.  

I think the O's will bounce back tonight and force a game 5.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

One of the most pressure-filled situations in sports is closing a post season game against the Yankees in a sold out Stadium.  The short porch looks even shorter.  The crowd screams. The closer clutches the ball tighter. I have seen some of the best absolutely fall apart. Guys like Trevor Hoffman and Joe Nathan.  Jim Johnson is not up to the task.  No chance.

I remember BH Kim blowing not one but two games for the D-Backs during the 2001 World Series.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I remember BH Kim blowing not one but two games for the D-Backs during the 2001 World Series.  

I remember that. He was almost in tears on the mound.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember that. He was almost in tears on the mound.

Kim is lucky that the D-Backs won that year.  If not, he would have been in exile in another state besides Arizona.  LOL  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Props to the Oakland A's rookie starting pitchers.  They look so relaxed out there.  

They are actually enjoying the pressure-type atmosphere.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Detroit vs Oakland

I am interested to see what happens in the Tigers/A's game today. Verlander gives Detroit an edge but I have a feeling that stadium will be rocking today. Either way, this is not what Detroit had in mind after winning the first two games.

Washington vs St. Louis

Is Strasburg even on the playoff roster for Washington? I think the Nats will not come back. the Cards are playoff tested

Cinn vs S.F.

Momentum is riding with the Giants. Cincy needs to bust down the doors early in the game otherwise they might see themselves on the outside looking in for the rest of the past season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Best story in MLB this year isn't the Athletics or Orioles, but the Nationals, whose resurgence has basically been decades in the making.  When they were the Senators, the saying was, "Washington, first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League."  Two Senators teams went elsewhere, to Minnesota and to Texas.  Now the third, renamed the Nationals, is like a phoenix rising from the ashes of all those miserable years in Montreal. 

I would probably have shut down Strasburg because, as important as these playoffs are, the 98 wins and all that young talent mean they are likely to be coming back to the playoffs next year and for years to come.  They are still rebuilding this franchise and need to take the long view.  Strasburg should have plenty more good years in him, which should not be jeopardized by one postseason.   Besides, if they win the WS this year, the fans are likely to expect that every year because Washington is not yet a baseball town and never has been.   

I definitely see the Yankees and A's in the ALCS, but the NLCS teams are a tough call.  The Cardinals once again are sneaking in the back door--the Braves errors basically handed that one wild card game to them--and could win it all again this year even though I think the Nationals are the better team.  Ditto out west--the Red are better, but the Giants could win the NLDS. 

Yes, the playoffs now have a lot of teams which means anyone can win.  But that's been true for quite some time--the wild cards have won the WS about as often as the division winners. 

But I believe strongly the playoffs should have 10 teams because their records are all pretty darn close when you consider they all play 162 games.  The best won 98 games of 162 and the worst 88 games of 162.  In the NFL the best teams win like 75 to 80% of their regular season games, and the worst playoff teams win maybe 50%.  Same in the NBA. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Detroit vs Oakland

I am interested to see what happens in the Tigers/A's game today. Verlander gives Detroit an edge but I have a feeling that stadium will be rocking today. Either way, this is not what Detroit had in mind after winning the first two games.

Washington vs St. Louis

Is Strasburg even on the playoff roster for Washington? I think the Nats will not come back. the Cards are playoff tested

Cinn vs S.F.

Momentum is riding with the Giants. Cincy needs to bust down the doors early in the game otherwise they might see themselves on the outside looking in for the rest of the past season.

jess, Washington shut Strasberg down before the end of the season, on the advice of the medical staff after coming back from TJ surgery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Go O's!

hey Moon, gotta admit, didn't feel good going into the 10th, knowing how sick they've been in extras..

Hi jete, once the Yanks tied it in the 9th. I liked their chances to win especially at home. The goat of that game wasn't their closer, it was Adam Jones for playing a routine out into a triple. Appears he burst his own bubble he blew trying to put a little relish on the play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Detroit vs Oakland

Washington vs St. Louis

Cinn vs S.F.

jess, Washington shut Strasberg down before the end of the season, on the advice of the medical staff after coming back from TJ surgery.

I know that J-Bay, but I was wondering if they left him on the playoff roster just in case they needed a couple of innings here or there. I can't see how that would hurt him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Detroit vs Oakland

Washington vs St. Louis

Cinn vs S.F.

I know that J-Bay, but I was wondering if they left him on the playoff roster just in case they needed a couple of innings here or there. I can't see how that would hurt him.

No he's shut down for the rest of the season

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Detroit vs Oakland

Washington vs St. Louis

Cinn vs S.F.

Silly - not sure how 10 extra innings out of the bullpen during the course of the past season after a three week rest would have hurt him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Detroit vs Oakland

Washington vs St. Louis

Cinn vs S.F.

Silly - not sure how 10 extra innings out of the bullpen during the course of the past season after a three week rest would have hurt him.

They gave him an innings limit and once he reached it, that was it. Not sure why the didnt limit it more during the season, but if I remember correctly, the medical staff agreed there was an 85% chance there would be further damage if he wasnt shut down, at a certain point. .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Why - the two games they lost in Extra Innings were to the Yankees. NY had them right where they wanted.

Hopefully NY wraps it up today. I think they will be playing more relaxed today and ends it.

Baltimore next year - watch out.

i hear ya Jess, but that doesn't/shouldn't discredit those 16 W's...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Damn it looks like the Giants will win today and eliminate the Reds!!!  

So far it is 6-0 Giants in the 5th inning.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

they've hit the ground running...and Posey's on fire again..

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

You are a very cool Yankee fan.  :)

Good luck to your Yankees.  

P.S. A great night for Ibanez, 2 for 2 with the game-tying and game-winning homer.   :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Could be jete but Cincy's not going down without a fight- 6-3

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Yanks lose another extra innings battle 2-1...Great nail-biter of a game...do or die for both teams tonight...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Detroit vs Oakland

Washington vs St. Louis

Cinn vs S.F.

Completely agree.  I dont have much of an issue with WSH sticking to the innings cap (otherwise, what is the point of even setting an innings cap)....But to let him reach the innings cap is nothing short of poor management.

They should have kept him in spring training a bit longer, limited him to 5 innings max early in the season and had him skip a start here and there.  They should have made sure that he was at least 40 innings under the cap going into the postseason.  It's not like they came out of nowhere to make the playoffs.  That team has looked like a competitor since May.  As such, they should have limited his innings in June, July, Aug to make sure he was pitching in Oct.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Detroit vs Oakland

Washington vs St. Louis

Cinn vs S.F.

Still not sure why they allowed this to happen.  If they wanted to limit his innings, they could have had him skip a couple of starts and managed his innings differently so that he could be pitching in the playoffs.  That being said, I was happy to see them win yesterday.  I still believe it will be difficult if they advance to the next round without Strasberg.  I just don't want to see St. Louis advance since they just won last year. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Jason Werth batting lead-off

• Sections
    Shortcuts