Thoughts on the AL and NL playoffs....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Thoughts on the AL and NL playoffs....

Major props to the Oakland A's for what they have accomplished this year.

I predicted them to finish in last place.  Boy was I wrong.  lol

Their core players are still under contract and with the experience they have gained this year, expect them to be back to compete in 2013. 

P.S. Billy Beane, if you are reading this, please come and help our Red Sox. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

CC's complete game saved the Yankees' bacon....So who will win in a Yankees-Tigers series....I have no clue, but don't be surprised if it goes 7...And it looks like the Cardinals will not be tweeting anymore this year with the Nats up 6-1 in the 4th......

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to Yankenstein2's comment:

I think I would go Pettitte in Game 1 and CC on short rest in Game 3.  I would go with Phelps in Game 2 and have Kuroda pitch Game 4 on long rest.  I'd go with Pettite in Game 5 (if neccesary), Hughes in Game 6 - on very long rest again, another handicap - and CC in Game 7 (if necessary, of course).

Alternatively, if the Yankees won the first two games, I'd be very temped to go with Kuroda on 5 days rest in Game 3 and save CC for Game 4 on full rest and vs someone other than Verlander.  

Anyway the Yankees do it, Detroit should have these issues to work out, not the Yankees because the Yankees were the top-seeded team in the AL (same for Nats in the NL).

You definitely pitch Kuroda in Game 2 at Yankee Stadium - look at his home/road splits. CC has thrown over 115 pitches each his last two games. Let him get his rest and come back on Tuesday or Wednesday. I prefer Wednesday. 

This playoff format is horrible. The top seed in the AL goes 5 games just like the 3rd seed yet the schedule favors Detorit because there is no day off for NY after they play 5 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Unbelievable comeback by the Cards tonight from a 6-0 deficit....I give the Nats fans credit....They did not leave but stood thru the last strike...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Nationals' manager will have some splaining to do about tonight's game.  No reason to leave the pitchers in that clearly didn't have their stuff.  Gave me flashbacks of Francona's style.  Hats off to the Cardinals for the comeback, but still scratching my head over Nationals' managing of that game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Yet another example of the importance of post season experience. The Cards have been there. They were calm and confident. Gio Gonzalez , with a six run lead , was nervous and scared. He had a great year , but he wilted under the pressure. He is no Verlander or Sabathia , at this point. The Nats have a good closer , but he choked big time tonight. One look at his " Deer in the headlights " eyes tonight and you could see that he was in trouble, and just hoping to luck out. If you watch post season baseball enough , you will see this again and again. Regardless of talent, some are winners , and some are losers.You have to learn how to deal with the pressure.  Winning breeds confidence. And , confidence breeds more winning. The losers need to learn from it , and not develop a losing mentality. Choking under pressure is a very real element in sports.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Yet another example of the importance of post season experience. The Cards have been there. They were calm and confident. Gio Gonzalez , with a six run lead , was nervous and scared. He had a great year , but he wilted under the pressure. He is no Verlander or Sabathia , at this point. The Nats have a good closer , but he choked big time tonight. One look at his " Deer in the headlights " eyes tonight and you could see that he was in trouble, and just hoping to luck out. If you watch post season baseball enough , you will see this again and again. Regardless of talent, some are winners , and some are losers.You have to learn how to deal with the pressure.  Winning breeds confidence. And , confidence breeds more winning. The losers need to learn from it , and not develop a losing mentality. Choking under pressure is a very real element in sports.

My thoughts exactly dgale...That experience helped the Tigers and Yanks as well...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I hear the Nat's are ecstatic they have preserved the arm of Strasburgh for opening day in 2013. Nothing compares to winning that opening day game after the long winter off.... I also hear the fans are thrilled and hope they have another chance to make the play-offs in 2013, after all it has only been since 1933 that a team from DC made a WS appearance.

Go baseball!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I hear the Nat's are ecstatic they have preserved the arm of Strasburgh for opening day in 2013. Nothing compares to winning that opening day game after the long winter off.... I also hear the fans are thrilled and hope they have another chance to make the play-offs in 2013, after all it has only been since 1933 that a team from DC made a WS appearance.

Go baseball!

I watched the last 3 innings of that game, and it was brutal fan-watching to see the collapse...With the Strasburg hangover looming in the background, you tell yourself, "Well, at least we eked past the Cardinals."...Then you blow a 6-0 lead....Yikes...Only the Yankee collapse in 2004 trumps this one...If I were a Nats fan tonight, I might consider moving to Montreal, or at least getting a few rounds of ECT...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ask yourself this, why over-spend for Jason Werth if getting to and winning the WS was not the priority. They put the needs of one (against his will no less) over the needs of many. If the Nats were to win even one WSC in Strasburg's career they would be fortunate.... ask Yaz.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Ask yourself this, why over-spend for Jason Werth if getting to and winning the WS was not the priority. They put the needs of one (against his will no less) over the needs of many. If the Nats were to win even one WSC in Strasburg's career they would be fortunate.... ask Yaz.

True...But then they do what every good corporation does...A cost-benefit analysis...Is the benefit of winning the WS (or going farther in it than just one round) worth risking your investment...Clearly, superstar hitters or pitchers are not growing on MLB trees these days, and a number of the soon-to-be HOFer phenoms have stumbled miserably....So the company decides, we will keep our money in thebank and not spend it this year because we might blow it all...overcautious maybe, but strictly a business dsecision...I doubt the owner(s) are losing sleep at night thinking about Strasburg's personal future and fortunes....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

First, of all, it struck me that the Reds fans were not exactly the most exuberant bunch earlier this evening. especially given the lead they had going in tonight....The A's fans were, by contrast, pretty juiced, especially given their team's 2-0 deficit...And the Oakland Mausoleum was not half-empty for a change...If the Yanks don't make it, and I still think they will fall short barring an A-Rod-Swisher-Tex rebirth in the post-season, the A's are a fun team to root for....And  they completely shut down the Tigers' offense tonight....

You gotta feel a little - just a little - better.  Now all you have to do is play the Tiggers ... but at least you got there.                  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Poor Cincy ... A's are out, too.  Back to just old hat now.

I was looking forward to a Nat's - A's WS ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Hey since yaz....Teilhardian here....Hope you are doing well...I actually predicted an A's-Nats series......It was not to be...I am a Yankees fan, and I am pleasantly surprised they made it to the ALCS....Now I think they have a shot at going to the WS...Not big maybe, given the pitching matchups.....The Tigers will probably bomb Pettitte. but at least the Yanks made it this far...They have a shot, anyway...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hey since yaz....Teilhardian here....Hope you are doing well...I actually predicted an A's-Nats series......It was not to be...I am a Yankees fan, and I am pleasantly surprised they made it to the ALCS....Now I think they have a shot at going to the WS...Not big maybe, given the pitching matchups.....The Tigers will probably bomb Pettitte. but at least the Yanks made it this far...They have a shot, anyway...

Hey there, friend ... I remember your change over.   Doing well, thanks.  Hope you are well, also.   

Funny thing about those Yanks ... they may be on a resporater (sp) but they still keep breathing ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Hey there, friend ... I remember your change over.   Doing well, thanks.  Hope you are well, also.   

Funny thing about those Yanks ... they may be on a resporater (sp) but they still keep breathing ...

Hey yaz...I am a therapist for the NYSOMH...Story of my life and my clients at times...Gotta love it....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What makes you think Andy will get bombed? I actually like Andy and Kuroda going in the firrst two games at home with CC and Hughes on the road.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

Nationals' manager will have some splaining to do about tonight's game.  No reason to leave the pitchers in that clearly didn't have their stuff.  Gave me flashbacks of Francona's style.  Hats off to the Cardinals for the comeback, but still scratching my head over Nationals' managing of that game.

You might be right.  I am very disappointed that the Nationals didn't win this series.  Maybe different decisions by the manager could have resulted in a win for them. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

What makes you think Andy will get bombed? I actually like Andy and Kuroda going in the firrst two games at home with CC and Hughes on the road.

I expect the series to be very competitive. One problem I see is CC may only get 1 start while Velander can get 2 w/o the series going the distance. Andy needs to give the yanks 6 solid innings in both his starts.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Cardinals were down to their last strike TWICE. 

What an amazing comeback win by the Cardinals!!! 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

My playoff prediction  :)

Tigers over the Yankees in six

Cardinals over the Giants in seven

A repeat of the 2006 World Series

Sections
Shortcuts