1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

thoughts on the offseason when/if deal goes through

let me be the first to say i LOVE a-gone, BUT at the same time he has a hefty contract. i didn't want crawford ESPECIALLY at that money and the extension on beckett was iffy. however, if ben manages to get rid of our 3 biggest contracts then i will just go ahead and praise him as a messiah. But with the loss of 3 starters and a UIF we have some holes to fill and lots of money to fill 'em with.

the sox are set to recieve james loney who is likely to replace a-gon at first base for the rest of the season. he hits FA afterwards and i don't see them re-signing him unless he turns out to be a fenway hitter. There are a couple in-house cantidates for 1st in mauro gomez, salty and even lava could be converted to a 1st baseman. there aren't many 1st baseman set to become free agents in the offseason but there is one guy i would LOVE for the sox to go out an get. hes not technically a first baseman but he has spent time in the position and plays it well. his name is nick swisher and the only player on the yankees i would/could see in a sox uni. he would be a great fit for the team and a big blow to the yankees.

with all this money and no ace i could see the sox going out and trying to get greinke but i dont personally want him. since coming to the AL he hasn't done well and the AL east is another animal entirely. the sox could use the blue chip pitching prospects they aquire in the deal to trade for a madison bumgardener or cueto or hopefully king felix (doubtful). the sox could also supplant these prospecs into their rotation but i can't comment on the success of that because i know nothing about them

with no more CC in the OF the sox will commit to jacoby ellsbury and give him the contract he deserves. kalish will start for most if not al of 2013 and JBJ has a spot open when he is ready.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: thoughts on the offseason when/if deal goes through

I hope mgmt has learned their lessons on acquiring players.  Lets get someone that wants to be a Red Sox and not someone just looking for money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i would rather us spend big money on homegrown players. guys who we know can hack it in boston (JACOBY!!)

but you cant compete in this league without free agency. if your going to charge that much money for tickets then spend it for the best players but you are right. on't spen oney to spend money (lackey/lugo/drew/CC)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What kind of contract does Ellsbury deserve?

Wht do you pay an injury prone underacheiver who is living off the success of one good season?

Kalish to start?....what have you seen in this guy that gives you the impression he's an upgrade over Crawford, Nava or Sweeney?

They are in the process of dumping alot of bloated salaries and you are wishing for big contracts for Ellsbury and King Felix....that just leads us back down the same road we've been travelling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

No doubt, what in the heck has Elles ever done outside of 2011 to demonstrate he is worth a Carl Crawford sized payday?

Same fans, same mentality.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: thoughts on the offseason when/if deal goes through:
    [QUOTE]No doubt, what in the heck has Elles ever done outside of 2011 to demonstrate he is worth a Carl Crawford sized payday? Same fans, same mentality.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

did i say a CC sized contract?? no.
    did i even give a number?? no.
    i would appreciate if you did not put words into my mouth.

im not saying go out and give 200 million dollar contracts to they next 3 players who signs with us. but you have to shell out SOME money to compete...... obviously theres a line you don't want to cross so you are not handcuffed like we were this past offseason.

no need to read between the lines on my posts. i say what i mean. sign jacoby, sign swisher, trade for an ace. simple. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Are u sane in thought? Will Elles ask for anything less than a Crawford sized contract?  No. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

I was checking out the LA Times fan discussion, and their dancing in the streets at getting rid of Loney. Thank god he's a free agent after the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

jacobys contract is going to be mostly dependant on his 2013 season.

and your right about loney. but this seasons pretty much done for us if this deal goes through so who cares how good/bad he does.

if/when it does i would bring up JBJ, iggy (who has been hot and finally doesn't look overmatched at AAA) and any other potential players for 2013. take doubront slow and give him time to rest his arm, try o fix bard for 2013, play lackey when his rehabbing is done (not sure if hes still on schedule to pitch before the seasons over or not).