Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks...

1. Doubrount and Sweeney for Gavin Floyd.

2. Bowden to the Cubs as the PTBNL for a prospect with options.

3. Darnell gets DFA'd with Aviles super-sub and Iggy at SS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks...

Pedro Ciriaco might actually be another consideration as super-sub as he had a  multi positional history with the Pirates.

Versatility and a NL background  may help his chances if he continues to compete during ST.

If BenC continues to look for another starter and Lannan or Floyd are the choices some quality prospects may be leaving--Doubrount, ?Aviles, Bowden, Sweeney, DMac, Lin, Wilson, etc.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobknowsBosox. Show BobknowsBosox's posts

Mad44...are you serious ? Doubront is a better pitcher than Floyd is, let alone trading Sweeney with him.

Like Bill 806 said...Looks like Doubront maybe a lock as a starter if he keeps pitching like he has been.

Bowden could stick with the team as well if he keeps pitching the way he is. If he is traded to the Cubs I would hope there is a pretty good prospect coming back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1. Doubrount and Sweeney for Gavin Floyd.

2. Bowden to the Cubs as the PTBNL for a prospect with options.

3. Darnell gets DFA'd with Aviles super-sub and Iggy at SS.

If we trade Sweeney, DMac stays.

The White Sox will want more than those 2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront is a better pitcher than Floyd is, let alone trading Sweeney with him.

What can you possibly be basing this on? A couple of ST outings?

The kid had his big shot last year, and he came to camp out of shape. That's not very encouraging.

Gavin Floyd has been a top 20 to 30 starter in MLB the last 3-4 years combined. If Douby does half as well as Floyd does, I'd be happy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

some of the posters seem to make too much of a couple of spring training appearances every year.

i hope that dubront can become a quality 4th/5th starter, but so far he has not even won the right to get a start once the season begins never mind have a place in the starting rotation for the entire year.

lets let him show about 4 more quality starts and then give him a chance to start game #4 (if he is better than bard and if there are no injuries to the other starters) or a later chance in game #9.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bobby we have a plethora of players currently.

Sweeney can be easily replaced by DMac, Aviles and a multi outfield position person like Ross. In addition Lin could do the defensive job in an emergency.

I do not like moving any young people but Douby, Bowden and Sweeney--even Aviles are not irreplaceable--Aviles may be more of a challenge if we lost him.

It looks like Padilla, if he stays healthy, may me a good swingman to have if Bard is the #5 if they pick up Lannan or Floyd as the #4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks...:
    [QUOTE]some of the posters seem to make too much of a couple of spring training appearances every year. i hope that dubront can become a quality 4th/5th starter, but so far he has not even won the right to get a start once the season begins never mind have a place in the starting rotation for the entire year. lets let him show about 4 more quality starts and then give him a chance to start game #4 (if he is better than bard and if there are no injuries to the other starters) or a later chance in game #9.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer game 4 over game 9.  If ythe Sox are serious about having Bard start all year, they need to find places to limit his innings as much as possible.  This is a great opportunity to do just that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

DMac is swinging a hot bat this spring, he knows he's on the block.
    I just don't think Aviles is all that good. He's versatile but certainly expendable.
    The light-hitting Punto and Sweeney are the guys I don't get. Why in the world Cherington signed either of these guys is a mystery to me.
    We now have Ross and Iglesias is coming into his own on offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks...:
    [QUOTE]1. Doubrount and Sweeney for Gavin Floyd. 2. Bowden to the Cubs as the PTBNL for a prospect with options. 3. Darnell gets DFA'd with Aviles super-sub and Iggy at SS.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Number one: sounds like a reasonable trade. But with the way Doubrount was lights out yesterday, not sure would let him go. He and team knows he is out of options, so its now or never...Floyd is a proven 6' 6'' work-horse and would look nice slotted int the 4 or 5 spot. Nice WHIP. Innings eater. Proven. Had two no-no's going into the 8th innings, so when he is on, filthy.

Gavin is sign for 7 million this year and club option for 9.5 million. This is the time to get him if there was ever one...great contract status...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Cant see the Sox making those moves....though DFA for McDonald is definitely possible.....the way things have shaken out so far, I see Doubront getting a shot at that 5th spot and Bowden getting a Bullpen slot.....Iggy has clearly impressed Bobby V, but I think he starts in AAA, but could be back up after a month so they keep a year of control. What they do with DMac and if they like Ciriaco are wild cards....if they like both of them and they decide to keep Iggy for SS, I could see them trying to move Punto for further pitching depth. Peter Abraham yesterday had his 1st Roster guess and I think he just about had it right as to what the Sox will do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What happens when Jenks comes off the DL? Honestly, why don't they just release this guy? What has done, except be injured, since he got here?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]What happens when Jenks comes off the DL? Honestly, why don't they just release this guy? What has done, except be injured, since he got here?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Hardly an issue at the moment.  He isn't taking up a roster spot now and who knows what the pen will look like if/when he get's off the DL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]What happens when Jenks comes off the DL? Honestly, why don't they just release this guy? What has done, except be injured, since he got here?

Releasing him would be unfair.

Releasing naked in the Arctic, maybe....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Doubront is a better pitcher than Floyd is, let alone trading Sweeney with him. What can you possibly be basing this on? A couple of ST outings? The kid had his big shot last year, and he came to camp out of shape. That's not very encouraging. Gavin Floyd has been a top 20 to 30 starter in MLB the last 3-4 years combined. If Douby does half as well as Floyd does, I'd be happy.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

He got through 4 IPs against a team with only half their starters in, and took 75 pitches to go 4 innings.

I have him penciled in as an AS.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Doubront and think he has a nice upside, but to say he is better than Floyd is either homerism or just plain blindness. Floyd has been a darn good starter for several years.

I'd rate us as the favorites with this staff and out line-up:

S1: Beckett
    S2: Lester
    S3: Buchholtz
    S4: Floyd
    S5: Bard
    S6: Doubront (LR)/Dice-K

CL: Bailey
    R2: Melancon
    R3: Aceves
    R4: Morales
    R5: Alebers
    R6: Bowden/Tazawa/Miller/Jenks

I'd still trade Middlebrooks, Anderson & Bowden for Floyd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]DMac is swinging a hot bat this spring, he knows he's on the block. I just don't think Aviles is all that good. He's versatile but certainly expendable. The light-hitting Punto and Sweeney are the guys I don't get. Why in the world Cherington signed either of these guys is a mystery to me. We now have Ross and Iglesias is coming into his own on offense.

Punto is a utility INF, even if Iglesias starts.  EVery team has one.  Even when they had Cal Ripken playing for them, the Orioles had utility infielders.  It's not a bgid deal.  Oh, and none of them will ever be hitters, so quit whining about it.  Know what you call a utility infielder who can hit?  A starter.

The Sweeney/Ross platoon is actually a good idea.  Ross was never much vs RHP.  Sweeney is a terrific OF with very little power, which naturally upsets Sox fans...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks... : Punto is a utility INF, even if Iglesias starts.  EVery team has one.  Even when they had Cal Ripken playing for them, the Orioles had utility infielders.  It's not a bgid deal.  Oh, and none of them will ever be hitters, so quit whining about it.  Know what you call a utility infielder who can hit?  A starter. The Sweeney/Ross platoon is actually a good idea.  Ross was never much vs RHP.  Sweeney is a terrific OF with very little power, which naturally upsets Sox fans...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    It would help some people to know how a ballclub is put together.
    The rightfield platoon is promising. If Sweeney hits .270-75 and gets on base, his defense, on balance, will make him a nice addition to the club. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks... : It would help some people to know how a ballclub is put together. The rightfield platoon is promising. If Sweeney hits .270-75 and gets on base, his defense, on balance, will make him a nice addition to the club. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Yes, and Ross kills lefties while Sweeney does much better ve righties. I really think we can and will see a 100+ point OPS gain in RF over last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks... : Yes, and Ross kills lefties while Sweeney does much better ve righties. I really think we can and will see a 100+ point OPS gain in RF over last year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Ross's career splits vs RHP is not all that bad (.253 BA vs .282 for LHP). The OPS and SLG are significant but eems to me it would be better to have him play full tuime in RF for the power aspect. Certainly his worst is better than what Drew has given us!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks... : Ross's career splits vs RHP is not all that bad (.253 BA vs .282 for LHP). The OPS and SLG are significant but eems to me it would be better to have him play full tuime in RF for the power aspect. Certainly his worst is better than what Drew has given us!

Last year's RF offensive production was awful. It's hard to imagine not gaining at least 50 OPS points without even trying.

I have mentioned Cody's numbers vs both LHPs and RHPs before, and his career numbers are not bad vs righties, however, he has had recent issues (.710 OPS from 2010-2011 vs RHPs), while Sweeney has been consistent vs righties. Sweeney is also a much better fielding RF'er, so I'm not sure Cody's power would make up for it.

Here's a closer look at the splits:

Per 650 PAs:

Cody Ross
    vs LHPs:  .282/.349/563/.912  40 Hrs  41 2Bs+3Bs
    vs RHPs: .253/.313/.414/.727  18 HRs 38 2Bs+3Bs

Sweeney
    vs LHPs: .233/.306/.289/.594  2 HRs  29 2Bs+3Bs
    vs RHPs: .296/.352/.402/.754  7 Hrs  39 2Bs+3Bs

I'm not sure a pro-rated 11 HRs more per 650 PAs vs RHPs is worth starting Ross over Sweeney. Sweeney gets on base about 4% more and the slugging percent is nearly identical. Being a better fielder tops the balance to Sweeney.

2008-2011 (OBP/SLG/OPS):

Ross vs RHPs:        .314/.414/.728

Sweeney vs RHPs: .358/.409/.767

Vs LHPs, Cody has been one of the best offensive OF'ers since 2007:
    with 600+ PAs
    1) Braun  1.043
    2) Kemp     .992
    3) Beltran  .974
    4) Magglio .958
    5) JWerth  .946
    6) Bautista .921
    7) C. Lee    .921
    8) JuUpton .921
    9) Cody R   .916
    10) C Hart  .915
    11) Cuddyer .912
    12) Holliday  .907

But, since 2009 Cody has an .862 OPS vs LHPs, placing him 26th out of 73 OF'ers with 350+ PAs vs LHPs. Not bad at all, but slipping. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Three moves BenC makes before camp breaks... : Ross's career splits vs RHP is not all that bad (.253 BA vs .282 for LHP). The OPS and SLG are significant but eems to me it would be better to have him play full tuime in RF for the power aspect. Certainly his worst is better than what Drew has given us!

Ross' career OPS vs RHP is .727.  Vs LHP it's .912.  That is a HUGE gulf.

To illustrate, Chris Snyder's career OPS is exactly .727, while Duke Snider's was .919.

In traditional stat terms, Snider's 162-game average was 31/101/.295, while Snyder's is 18/70/.231.

In language, Ross is a rubbish backup catcher vs RHP, and a HOF slugging outfielder vs LHP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In language, Ross is a rubbish backup catcher vs RHP, and a HOF slugging outfielder vs LHP.

Just because Ross is much better vs LHPs than RHPs, doesn't make him "rubbish" vs RHPs.

per 692 PAs:

.253  20  85

Last year's Sox RF numbers (692 PAs):

.233  14  58

Sections
Shortcuts