1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Throwing Dumb Money at Over 30 Somethings who are past their prime

Have the Red Sox looked at the stats of Victorino? He's on his way down, yet they are giving him $13M per year. I would have rather seen a $5M per year guy and let Brentz and/or Bradley fight for a possition. With these contracts to Gomes and Victorina, two OF spots are taken for 2013 and 2014.

If I had said to you the Red Sox will sign Victorino, Napoli and Gomes and I had told you it would cost them $31M per year, you'd probably fall out of your chair and throw up all over yourself. If that number was in the $21-24 range, I'd feel better.

Where is the plan for the younger players? Nah, we'll just sign players over 30 and give them contracts into their mid 30's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Throwing Dumb Money at Over 30 Somethings who are past their prime

Whoa, ADG bashing the Red Sox? Quelle surprise...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Shane is one year removed from arguably his best offensive season.  Bad year in 2012 at the plate, but hard to conclude 'decline' from that.  And, his career high 39 swipes suggests that he is still physically in his prime.

Overpay?  Absolutely.  But, not using hyperbolic overstatement, but rather statistical evidence, I feel pretty confident we will get as good a Shane Victorino as there has been:  which is to say, not a great offensive force (he never was anywhere close to that) but dangerous on the basepaths, smart at the plate, gets on base, the ability to punish mistakes with power, + defender with really good arm.  Just a solid all around player. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Sox spent 80mil on Victorino and Napoli to buy wins...philly/texas...they are purchasing victories...runs. Not about the players, it's about the wins...Sox will at least win 70 in 2013.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it does seem we are becoming the  1970s Washington redskins of MLB....Ben does know that PED's are illegal, right? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In about 3 years the Sox will resemble the aging Yanks - except that the Yanks are a first place club that continues to stay competitive despite the age of their players.  It will become difficult to entice frontline players to Boston if their present course continues without throwing huge sums to undeserving FAs.  Last place clubs don't get serious considerations from star FAs.  Yes they want the money first and foremost, but they also want to go to a team with a committment to winning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Going by a lot of comments, I guess there's only a 4 year time frame where you're worth anything.

MLB wouldn't be worthwatching if everyone who's over 32 retired. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In about 3 years the Sox will resemble the aging Yanks - except that the Yanks are a first place club that continues to stay competitive despite the age of their players.  It will become difficult to entice frontline players to Boston if their present course continues without throwing huge sums to undeserving FAs.  Last place clubs don't get serious considerations from star FAs.  Yes they want the money first and foremost, but they also want to go to a team with a committment to winning.

[/QUOTE]

Signing guys in their early 30s to 3 year contracts is hardly saddling the club down the road.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Signing guys in their early 30s to 3 year contracts is hardly saddling the club down the road.  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly right and for all those who dont like the moves for these 30 something players, who is out there that is 20 something and wont cost the farm?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Ross was a better, cheaper alternative imo.....im not quite understanding this signing at all

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross was a better, cheaper alternative imo.....im not quite understanding this signing at all

[/QUOTE]

Cheaper, yes.  No doubt.  Better?  No.  Ross had a flare for timely homeruns.  A wonderful quality.  But beyond that, he was a strike out machine and liability in the field.  I think many are underestimating what Victorino brings to the table.  But, too much money?  Yes, no question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

way too many old people on the team now! defense suffers, no real power added. 4th place if we are lucky

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

way too many old people on the team now! defense suffers, no real power added. 4th place if we are lucky

[/QUOTE]

OK, D suffers with Gomes and Napoli.  Drastically improved with victorino.  Victorino plays crucial fenway right field.  So, all in all, I'd say defense improves slightly, or at least evens out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Since when is 31 or 32 over the hill. Ive been hearing this alot and it sounds ridiculous. Guess Robinson Cano should retire next yr. Hamilton(32) only had 43 hrs last yr.  Sox are doing it right for once with over paying but for minimal yrs. When these contracts expire they will be 35 yrs old.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Good job Ben C

Stop the crying.We have Ross Gomes Napoli and now Victorino all for less than it would have cost us for Hamilton.Grow up and enjoy the positive things they are doing and what they still might do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

they will all keep crying until the all star break at least...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Haha...I was waiting for a thread like this. Now theyre overpaying? Classic whine session.

First it was they need to make moves, throwing out names like Grienke and hamilton. Now upset the spent less money on four players that doesnt even amount to what Hammy wants. And JH has much more risk than any of these players.

Are they "superstars"? No, but they all serve a purpose and are quality players and people that will produce in the role they were brought here to do...They all play hard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haha...I was waiting for a thread like this. Now theyre overpaying? Classic whine session.

First it was they need to make moves, throwing out names like Grienke and hamilton. Now upset the spent less money on four players that doesnt even amount to what Hammy wants. And JH has much more risk than any of these players.

Are they "superstars"? No, but they all serve a purpose and are quality players and people that will produce in the role they were brought here to do...They all play hard.

[/QUOTE]

theres no pleasing them. lasst season it was DOWN WITH THE FAT CATS! OVER PAID UNDER ACHIEVERS!!! and now we sign guys who play hard and are not being paid 20 Mil a year for 15 years and they are still not happy... in a few years when we bring the new crop up they will still find something stupid to cry about. "we have no star power. just a bunch of young inexpensive players, so why are my ticket prices so high!!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

So far a brutal off season IMO.  Signing Ross as back up catcher is the best move, tells you everything you need to know.  Keith Law who I respect panned it too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So far a brutal off season IMO.  Signing Ross as back up catcher is the best move, tells you everything you need to know.  Keith Law who I respect panned it too.

[/QUOTE]

So didnt I on the Salty thread...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts