Thursday afternoon game thread:Red Sox at Tigers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Thursday afternoon game thread:Red Sox at Tigers

Go Sox!
    RED SOX (27-22)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz DH
    Crawford LF
    Sutton SS
    Reddick RF
    Varitek C

Pitching: RHP Alfredo Aceves (1-0, 2.42).

TIGERS (25-23)
    Jackson CF
    Kelly LF
    Boesch RF
    Cabrera 1B
    Martinez DH
    Peralta SS
    Avila C
    Sizemore 2B
    Inge 3B

Pitching: RHP Max Scherzer (6-1, 2.98)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Thursday afternoon game thread:Red Sox at Tigers

I am a little scared of this series.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Thursday afternoon game thread:Red Sox at Tigers:
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Detroit has the top of their rotation going against the Sox. Going to be a tough series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tigers fan here in the office, which is fine.  He doesn't like his bullpen, so I said ours ain't that great either.

My goodness, Sutton and Reddick are starting.  Who would have thunk?  But Reddick makes more sense than Cameron or McDonald, and Lowrie probably needs an off day--his OPS has been sliding and is now lower than Ellsbury's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickterp. Show rickterp's posts

I'm totally confused why today is a day game.  Ending a series with a day game so the teams have more time to travel makes sense.  But beginning a series with a day game?  Does anyone have a clue why this isn't a night game?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I'm totally confused why today is a day game.  Ending a series with a day game so the teams have more time to travel makes sense.  But beginning  a series with a day game?  Does anyone have a clue why this isn't a night game?
    Posted by rickterp

its the dreaded Get-Away Gauntlet portion of the schedule.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Maybe it's cold in Detroit at, say, 10 pm.  I have no idea. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Posted by SpacemanEephus

Well they're definitely gonna see the 3 best arms DET has to offer.  The good thing is they are all RH's, so we know in theory that is a plus.  You gotta give the pitching edge to DET in games 1-2, Sox in 3, and push in 4.  But we know we put the better line-up out there everyday.

I wouldn't normally say this but 2-4 in DET for a 4-3 road trip wouldn't be horrible.   

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tigers are a lot like the Sox:  lousy pitching, but winning record because of good hitting (ours is better), good at home, losing record on the road. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Define "lousy pitching".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Josh, Clay, and Jon take exception with 'lousy'.  For that matter so do Alfredo and Tim, based on their most recent work.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Josh, Clay, and Jon take exception with 'lousy'.  For that matter so do Alfredo and Tim, based on their most recent work.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

And Rich Hill and Jonathan Papelbon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Thursday afternoon game thread:Red Sox at Tigers : And Rich Hill and Jonathan Papelbon
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

And Atchison's last couple of outings and Albers most of the year except for his last outing.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Ells walks on four pitches

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Define "lousy pitching".
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

A fair question.  10th best team ERA in the AL.  But there is of course a caveat, four of the primary culprits in creating that ERA are on the DL (Matsuzaka, Jenks, Lackey) or are just back on the roster (Wheeler).  If those four guys hadn't started out so badly, the Sox would be well out in front of the AL East. 

Right now the Sox have three very good starters and two question marks who pitched well their last starts. 

But the bullpen is scary.  Pap is a good closer, but not as good as he was.  The rest of the bullpen is suspect.  Hill hasn't given up a run, which is great, but he hasn't pitched many innings.  Still, he's the best lefty we've had there since Okajima's first year.  Bard, Albers, Atchison, Morales, and of course Wheeler have all shown they can blow up. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

Howdy All!  Will be be here occasionally, as work allows.  Go Sox!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Reddick has some shaggier locks this year.  I like it.  Suits him better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

Im so glad Aceves did well in his first start! Let's go buddy! 

Here's to finding a GEM to fill the 4 start!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

nice inning for alfredo.  Stuff looks sharp.  that cutter is wicked.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah.  Papi goin' all Adrian Gonzalez on 'em.

Sections
Shortcuts