Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox

Its upsetting JBAY but Rivera does get a lot of benefit of doubt strikes.

In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox : what i can say is, I have never seen so many negative fans of a first place team.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

[QUOTE]Its upsetting JBAY but Rivera does get a lot of benefit of doubt strikes. In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox :
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

It was a strike....buck up man we'll get em in NY

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]What way to end it. With another call strike that wasn't a strike. Rivera got that one on reputation. Oh well, we move on. 
    Posted by soxdawg08[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it was a strike either, but it was too close of a pitch to just take. Agon should have gone after it instead of looking at it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

A Gon has been driving the ball most of the year...but not tonight, and not against CC when he was 0-5 , with 3 K's.  Pitchers are learning not to give him fast balls and since the All star break getting him in key situations on sliders.  But what does one expect for $20 mil plus for 7 years---a manny ramirez...(jus kiddin)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Its upsetting JBAY but Rivera does get a lot of benefit of doubt strikes. In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox :
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

I agree AL, tuesday's game, the last two strikes weren't. but it's the constant negativity. i just don't get it. great team, still think the best team. cant win 'em all. Aceves has been the 10th man all season. Gonzales clutch, Lester pitched his way out of the game in the first. just not their night. it happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]Rivera - if he wasn't given an additional 10 inches of strike zone every night - would not be a closer.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE](Oh brother)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]You Guys are kidding right that was right down the middle strike 3. I don't like it either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

[QUOTE]wow. can adrian gonzalez be any more not clutch? he never seems to come through in big situations especially against the yankees. bases loaded, single ties it. and he strikes out. mark my words, the sox will not win the world series this year and tonight was a perfect example as to why. weak pen, no bench depth, and no clutch hitting. all 3 are key ingredients when it comes to a world series winning ball club.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Can you be anymore negative? You are a jerk who I would just soon not have on board with real fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquachuck. Show aquachuck's posts

he should've swung at that pitch for sure...way too close to take, pretty disappointing so far for Agon against NY.  Well, if it's any comfort the Sox magic # is 27.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox : what i can say is, I have never seen so many negative fans of a first place team.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well, I think the pen is and will be positive....and Yook and getting McD out of the lineup will be a positive....but the rotation has been taxed and aGone has not been the same after the home run derby...and Crawford has been a total mystery---those two represent more money than most major league franchises.  This was friggun AJ Burnett...and this was the bottom of the 9th and bases loaded and one watches a call strike 3....fans have a right to voice their displeasure in my opinion

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]Oh well, Bard doesnt get it but Mo gets the outside pitch. Agon is the key. Without any slugging RH OFer and Youk having an off year, if AGon doesnt hit then this offense is Ortiz and too many easy outs in the bottom. Final big season hurdle, need 2 of 3 against Rangers to get back on division track.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

softlaw you are right on the money. if agonz doesnt hit then we are in big trouble. youk has not been good this year and is not even battin .270. crawford is batting under .260, ortiz has been good but cannot carry the offense. this is where crawford is hurting us. we should have a power hitting right handed hitter playing in LF, not a slap hitting gap hitter. theo really messed up big time by not signing matt holliday. i still dont understand why he didnt even make an effort to sign him knowing what players would likely be hitting the market in coming years. instead he dishes out a huge contract to a player who is the opposite of everything we needed. we didnt need another ellsbury type. we didnt need another numerb 1/2 hitter, we have pretty good ones already, we needed a middle of the order right handed power hitting outfielder. matt holliday was a near perfect fit and is making less than crawford. theo not signing holliday and signing ellsbury instead speak loudley as to how bad a gm he is. look at the braves for example. they knew that there biggest need was a speedy lead off hitter and who did they get? michael bourne. perfect fit. that is how you fill a hole in your roster. not by picking up a guy who makes no sense for your team and trying to sell the move to your fan base. you get the guy who makes sense. take notes theo and maybe one day you can become a good gm too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox : softlaw you are right on the money. if agonz doesnt hit then we are in big trouble. youk has not been good this year and is not even battin .270. crawford is batting under .260, ortiz has been good but cannot carry the offense. this is where crawford is hurting us. we should have a power hitting right handed hitter playing in LF, not a slap hitting gap hitter. theo really messed up big time by not signing matt holliday. i still dont understand why he didnt even make an effort to sign him knowing what players would likely be hitting the market in coming years. instead he dishes out a huge contract to a player who is the opposite of everything we needed. we didnt need another ellsbury type. we didnt need another numerb 1/2 hitter, we have pretty good ones already, we needed a middle of the order right handed power hitting outfielder. matt holliday was a near perfect fit and is making less than crawford. theo not signing holliday and signing ellsbury instead speak loudley as to how bad a gm he is. look at the braves for example. they knew that there biggest need was a speedy lead off hitter and who did they get? michael bourne. perfect fit. that is how you fill a hole in your roster. not by picking up a guy who makes no sense for your team and trying to sell the move to your fan base. you get the guy who makes sense. take notes theo and maybe one day you can become a good gm too.

The fact that you agree with Softbrain tells me all I need to know about you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox : Can you be anymore negative? You are a jerk who I would just soon not have on board with real fans.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

i'm sorry that i dont sugar coat everything and take the homer approach 24/7. its called honesty. what i say is my honest opinion about my fave baseball team. but you have to admit, as good as gonzalez has been, he needs to be better. there is no excuse for him striking out looking in that situation. he gets paid a ton of money to make something happen in key situations like the one tonight. as i posted in another thread, he is hitting .179 against the yankees and .175 against the rays. thats pathetic. those are our 2 biggest rivals and he has been useless against them. he is the guy who is supposed to get the big hits against those teams and at the very least produce against them. thats what he gets paid to do. thats what manny did for years and thats why the sox won the world series in 2004 and 2007. clutch hitting in key situations. manny and ortiz were a big part of that and set an example for the rest of the team. gonzalez is essentially filling mannys spot in the line up and he has hit well but he has not been clutch. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kroywenmo. Show kroywenmo's posts

[QUOTE]

what i can say is, I have never seen so many negative fans of a first place team.

Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

So very true.

Two things:

Without a single glance at google, can you name another year where the teams with the 2 best records in the league (both playing above .600 baseball) met in Sept. and the clean up role for each team was handled by the guy playing 2nd base?

Talk about twin killings, take a look at the home and away records for the Red Sox and the Yankees

American League
    EASTWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRADIFFSTRKL10POFF
    Boston8353.610-41-2742-26731569+162Lost 16-499.4
    NY Yankees8253.607.541-2641-27736540+196Won 15-598.7

Jbay, do you have a game this weekend?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox : Well, I think the pen is and will be positive....and Yook and getting McD out of the lineup will be a positive....but the rotation has been taxed and aGone has not been the same after the home run derby...and Crawford has been a total mystery---those two represent more money than most major league franchises.  This was friggun AJ Burnett...and this was the bottom of the 9th and bases loaded and one watches a call strike 3....fans have a right to voice their displeasure in my opinion
    Posted by Goofywocky[/QUOTE]

thank you goofywocky for your non-biased opinion. sox fans have every right to be upset about the game tonight. aj burnett has been aweful this year and all we can do against him is put up 2 runs? and lester who is our number 2 pitcher throws 40 pitches in the first inning and barely makes it through the 5th turning the ball over to an over taxed pen. and then fast forward to the 9th, bases loaded with adrian gonzalez at the plate. and he puts together a pathetic at bat and ends of striking out looking to end the game. now instead of being 2.5 games up on the yanks we are only 0.5 games up. any true sox fan should be angry about how bad the team played tonight. this was an important game that the sox should have won and were winning until the pen imploded and the offense decided not to show up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Red Sox are plenty clutch. Did any of you watch last night's game? All three homeruns came with 2 outs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

really? you seem to forget game 1 of the series when they had 14 runners left on base as a team. not too clutch then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maybe my eyes are being biased, but strike three to Gonazlez looked a lot like ball 3 and ball 4 to Jacoby

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe my eyes are being biased, but strike three to Gonazlez looked a lot like ball 3 and ball 4 to Jacoby
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Gameday says the strike three on Gonzo was a much better pitch than the balls to Jacoby.  It shows the pitch to Gonzo as a ball, but just off the plate in the borderline zone.  The balls to Jacoby were just about identical to the pitches that got called strikes on Lowrie in Tuesday's game though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

[QUOTE]Tiexiera coming out to catch an early flight home, he's reached his 3 hr max.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I'm a Yankee fan but that was funny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]A Gon has been driving the ball most of the year...but not tonight, and not against CC when he was 0-5 , with 3 K's.  Pitchers are learning not to give him fast balls and since the All star break getting him in key situations on sliders.  But what does one expect for $20 mil plus for 7 years---a manny ramirez...(jus kiddin)
    Posted by Goofywocky[/QUOTE]

A guy leading MLB in hitting should be largely beyond criticism

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday Game Thread:Yankees at Red Sox : softlaw you are right on the money. if agonz doesnt hit then we are in big trouble. youk has not been good this year and is not even battin .270. crawford is batting under .260, ortiz has been good but cannot carry the offense. this is where crawford is hurting us. we should have a power hitting right handed hitter playing in LF, not a slap hitting gap hitter. theo really messed up big time by not signing matt holliday. i still dont understand why he didnt even make an effort to sign him knowing what players would likely be hitting the market in coming years. instead he dishes out a huge contract to a player who is the opposite of everything we needed. we didnt need another ellsbury type. we didnt need another numerb 1/2 hitter, we have pretty good ones already, we needed a middle of the order right handed power hitting outfielder. matt holliday was a near perfect fit and is making less than crawford. theo not signing holliday and signing ellsbury instead speak loudley as to how bad a gm he is. look at the braves for example. they knew that there biggest need was a speedy lead off hitter and who did they get? michael bourne. perfect fit. that is how you fill a hole in your roster. not by picking up a guy who makes no sense for your team and trying to sell the move to your fan base. you get the guy who makes sense. take notes theo and maybe one day you can become a good gm too.

I agree, except the part about Theo's abilities as a GM; he's amazing, but nobody is perfect. Signing Crawford might have been a knee jerk reaction to fear of him signing with the Yankees; it is usually not a good idea to sign somebody to a monster contract under this pretense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]I have to listen to these YES clowns who thought that was a great catch. He (Gardner)  had it all the way.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

He did have it all the way because of his speed, not many OF'ers would have gotten to that ball.  The thing about Gardner is....he was the best defensive centerfielder in the ballpark last night...I'd rather see him in CF because he would be able to make both corner outfielders lives easy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

The fact remains that Ellsbury is the only centerfielder in the AL without an error. The only guy with more TC is Adam Jones who has 8 errors. His defense is overlooked because of his great offensive ability. If he had a great arm he would be a 5 tool guy. Gold Glove awards are the biggest joke in baseball. If Pedey doesnt win it this year its a travesty.