Tidbits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Tidbits

1)  Outside of Cleveland and Minnesota, the entire AL is separated by just 4 games.
      WOW !!!

2)  Why do we watch the 9th inning when our team is in the lead and our closer comes in?  Nothing against our pen, I am talking in general.  One of 3 things is going to happen.

- The closer is going to get the save, which is to be expected.  No real joy in that.

- The closer is allow base runners, making you squirm like a worm chopped in half, before they finally nail it down.  But, is there really any enjoyment in feeling "edgy", short of breathe, etc., before finally watching your team win?

- The closer is going to blow the game.  Obviously, no joy in that either.  So, where is the enjoyment?  Obviously, if it is the W.S. that would be different.

3)  Have you looked at the home and away games played so far for Bos., NY, and TB?  Boston has played 4 more home games than road, not too bad.  The Rays are about even with 1 extra road game (oddly they have a much better road record than they do home).   BUT NY?  They have played 11 more home games.  That doesn't bode to well for them having to make up all of those road games away from their short porch in RF.  Especailly when you consider their best pitcher is a lefty and won't be able to continually take advantage of their deep RF.  No wonder Granderson has so many HR's.  He has barely played away from NY's short RF.

Taking this into consideration, as well as the overall age of their team, it looks to be expected that NY may fall back some.  Of course, trades and injuries can change a lot of that.  But for what it is right now?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Tidbits

2.Why do watch the 1st inning of games?

Only 3 things can happen.

We score no runs.

We score some runs.

We get rained out.

Answer: we watch the 1st inning of games for the same reason we watch the 9th inning of games. Because we like baseball.

What's the point of watching the whole game and turning off before the ninth inning? It would be like working all week and not hanging around for the paycheck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

hey zilla,

i think that's an LA thing. arrive after the game starts and leave before it's over.
    i refer to that behavior as 'brain-shortened.'

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Tidbits:
    [QUOTE]1)  Outside of Cleveland and Minnesota, the entire AL is separated by just 4 games.   WOW !!! 2)  Why do we watch the 9th inning when our team is in the lead and our closer comes in?  Nothing against our pen, I am talking in general.  One of 3 things is going to happen.  - The closer is going to get the save, which is to be expected.  No real joy in that.  - The closer is allow base runners, making you squirm like a worm chopped in half, before they finally nail it down.  But, is there really any enjoyment in feeling "edgy", short of breathe, etc., before finally watching your team win?  - The closer is going to blow the game.  Obviously, no joy in that either.  So, where is the enjoyment?  Obviously, if it is the W.S. that would be different. 3)  Have you looked at the home and away games played so far for Bos., NY, and TB?  Boston has played 4 more home games than road, not too bad.  The Rays are about even with 1 extra road game (oddly they have a much better road record than they do home).   BUT NY?  They have played 11 more home games.  That doesn't bode to well for them having to make up all of those road games away from their short porch in RF.  Especailly when you consider their best pitcher is a lefty and won't be able to continually take advantage of their deep RF.  No wonder Granderson has so many HR's.  He has barely played away from NY's short RF. Taking this into consideration, as well as the overall age of their team, it looks to be expected that NY may fall back some.  Of course, trades and injuries can change a lot of that.  But for what it is right now?

Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

Ummm...last I checked the Yanks have played a total of 29 games at home while the sawx have played a total of 26 games at home while the sawx have played one additional game over all. Hardly anything to write home about.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

I assumed that the OP was sarcasm.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I personally don't like the 4th inning.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The 7th inning really bugs me.It thinks it's better than the other innings because it has a "stretch".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

i think the 5th inning is more important than the 7th inning. at the end of the
    5th the game is official. did you hear that 7th inning; even with your 'stretch' you're not that vital. now go get some therapy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not earthshaking, but not bad for tidbit "opinions." 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

sjddaj  '' No wonder Granderson has so many HR's. He has barely played away from NY's short RF.

Granderson  29 home games  8 HR
                         18 road games   8 HR

as you were saying ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

OUCH!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

While we're at it, here are some Tebbetts Tidbits.

He graduated in 1934 from Providence College with a degree in Philosophy.

He was voted the best all-time Red Sox catcher in a 1969 fan poll.

In 1950 Tebbetts referred to some of his Red Sox teammates as "moronic malcontents" and "juvenile delinquents". Consequently, he was traded to Cleveland at the end of the season.

Speaking of favorite innings, I was once asked on a local PBS broadcast of an A's Red Sox game, "Why do they have the 7th inning stretch?  Why not don't they have a stretch in the 2nd inning (for example)?"  I answered, "Well, if it were in the 2nd inning, they'd call it the 2nd inning stretch, and not the 7th inning stretch."

This great insight was later broadcast on "This Week in Baseball". 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Beyond the mocking, fans endure the worm squirm. It's their reward or their letdown - but it's only relevance is to conclude the mystery that took place from innings 1-8. Baseball is great theatre in that it builds upon itself.

Why watch a Hitchcock film if not to see the end?
    People bet on horses so that they can feel alive for a given moment. The edge is what it's all about. Everything else is the lead-in. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I just threw some stuff out there.  Better than the constant complaining you see acrosss the board from our own fans complaining about anything they can that involves the Sox.

The Granderson comment was just sarcasm to the Yankee fans.  But, I would truely be concerned about the home/away games difference.  With that much of a difference, the Yankees are to bound to fall back a few games when they make up all of those road games.  * Check your math again babe-1

Interesting that we look at our Sox as being a 1/2 game out of 1st.  But, we are also just 4 games from having the 2nd worst record in the AL.  From a Yankee point of view, it is a good thing that they have played that many more home games so far.  For, if they were about even with the home/away games, they very well could have the 2nd worst record in the AL.

The difference between the 1st and the 9th inning is that there is still innings to be played in the 1st.  The game doesn't end right there.  But, the bottom of the 9th when your team is coming in for the save?  The only things can happen is you win as expected, or you lose.  Of course, if it gets tied up then I lose out.  
    I didn't expect many to agree with me on this.  But, thought it might lead to some discussion. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

The Granderson comment was just sarcasm to the Yankee fans.

I'm sure it was

But, I would truely be concerned about the home/away games difference.

LOL it's 4 games

With that much of a difference, the Yankees are to bound to fall back a few games when they make up all of those road games.

maybe so, but unlike the sox the yanks are over 500 OTR

we find out now as the yanks start a 9 game road trip

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Yankees are usually a pretty good road team.  I'm hoping the 2011 Red Sox are built to be a better road team.  I think that's part of why they wanted Crawford.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

i wonder if your-echo/pike is any relation to tebbetts?
    did tebbetts ever utter the word troll when he was lashing out at his teammates?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

No doubt the Sox are better at home and hope they approve their road record as well.  Most teams are better at home.  Except for the Rays (but with the crowds they get it is no wonder).

Agreed.  This upcoming west coast trip for the Yankees will tell a lot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Tidbits:
    [QUOTE]I just threw some stuff out there.  Better than the constant complaining you see acrosss the board from our own fans complaining about anything they can that involves the Sox. The Granderson comment was just sarcasm to the Yankee fans.  But, I would truely be concerned about the home/away games difference.  With that much of a difference, the Yankees are to bound to fall back a few games when they make up all of those road games.  * Check your math again babe-1 Interesting that we look at our Sox as being a 1/2 game out of 1st.  But, we are also just 4 games from having the 2nd worst record in the AL.  From a Yankee point of view, it is a good thing that they have played that many more home games so far.  For, if they were about even with the home/away games, they very well could have the 2nd worst record in the AL. The difference between the 1st and the 9th inning is that there is still innings to be played in the 1st.  The game doesn't end right there.  But, the bottom of the 9th when your team is coming in for the save?  The only things can happen is you win as expected, or you lose.  Of course, if it gets tied up then I lose out.   I didn't expect many to agree with me on this.  But, thought it might lead to some discussion. 

Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

EAST           W L PCT   GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10
    NY Yankees 27 21 .563  -  17-13 10-8 250 199 +51 Won 2 7-3
    Boston        27 22 .551 .5  16-10 11-12 229 211 +18 Won 2 8-2

At the time of my post yesterday's games were not in the books, so the Yanks were 16-13 at home when I had posted.

Last I checked, 16+13=29 and 16+10=26. 29-26=3 games difference.

The sawx have played one more game overall than the Yanks. Seems my math was correct.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Tidbits:
    [QUOTE]No doubt the Sox are better at home and hope they approve their road record as well.  Most teams are better at home.  Except for the Rays (but with the crowds they get it is no wonder). Agreed.  This upcoming west coast trip for the Yankees will tell a lot.

Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

I do approve of their sub .500 record on the road.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Sox should have a 5gm lead in the division in end of June.

Sections
Shortcuts