Tigers signing Torii Hunter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Tigers signing Torii Hunter

Ken RosenthalKen RosenthalVerified‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Torii to #Tigers. Two-year agreement, pending physical.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Tigers signing Torii Hunter

WHAT?!?!?!  CHUMP CHERRINGTON LOSES AGAIN!!!!

(full disclosure:  just kidding)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

He joins a very strong offensive lineup and a team with the best pitcher in baseball.  He wants to win.  He now has a good chance.  But he would have been a nice fit in RF for the Sox.  Time to offer C. Ross the 3 years he is asking for?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Cherington is "sticking to his plan."  Just no evidence of what the "plan" might be...adding a 4th catcher?  Playing a "ghost player" in the OF?  (for those who never played pickup baseball, we would have ghost players when there were not enough to field a team.  A ghost player in RF meant any hit out to RF was an out.)  In the absence of any known plan it is up to us to assume one (or assume a lack of one). 

I must admit, today and yesterday leave me with an undeniable feeling that Ben is going to end up with only the bums who are left, and with a lot of unspent cash on hand; not so much filling his team with the players who best fit a plan at all!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Would anyone have thought to offer Hunter 13M per for 2 year? Most here were thinking 8-10M. I wanted him but thought 2/20 would be good. apparently I was 6M off. Oh well, on to the next.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Not to be negative (well, honestly that is all I feel right about now), but who else would have paid Ortiz that exact same amount?  If Ortiz is worth that at his age and with his recent injury history, then Hunter is, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

26mm for 2 years is too much!!

Guess Ross will use that leverage to have Boston to try to sign him!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't think Ben waited this long to just re-sign Cody after letting him testing the market.  I don't think Ross will be back and Cherington might be looking for something big...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Well, if big means Justin Upton, and losing top prospects, then I am skeptical.  I do think that Ben is waiting for D Ross to pass his physical before completing a trade that is probably already agreed to, but that is just a suspicion I have, based on no evidence whatsover, just a presumption of competence and commitment.  However, I am right now doubting either of those, when it comes to BC, LL , Henry, et al.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Two years, 26 million?

Just not worth it at 37 years old.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If anyone is really upset that we didn't pay Hunter $13 mil x 2 yrs at age 37-39, then they're really complaining just to complain. Did not expect he'd get that much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

$26M/2 is insane. It makes you wonder what better players will be gwetting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wonder how much this ridiculous deal effects the (Cody) Ross market, if at all ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is the kind of signing that makes the Cody Ross asking price of 3/25 seem like a bargain

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It makes no sense what so ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I am willing to bet that the Tigers get as much for their 2/26 as the Sox got for their 2/26.  Just saying.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It makes no sense what so ever.

Why not?  Hunter has averaged about 4 WAR over the last 3 years.  It might be an overpay but it's not that crazy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

The rest of the baseball world said the same when the Sox signed Ortiz.  Both are overpays, except this is the new affordable (like 50 is the new 40).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Ken RosenthalKen RosenthalVerified‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Torii to #Tigers. Two-year agreement, pending physical.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Can't blame him, with Victor coming back and the team they already have in place the Tigers should be the team to beat again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

$26M/2 is insane. It makes you wonder what better players will be gwetting.

You and everyone else on here want bargain basement players. Tori Hunter is a winner and even at 37 can still play stellar defense and hit with power.

Does it really matter how much he is paid to play baseball as long as it's great baseball? You go right ahead and decide what a player should be paid. We'll end up with a bunch of has-beens like we did last year. And Cody Ross can't hold a candle to Tori Hunter!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Hunter is worth every penny. But why have filet minon when you can have ground beef, right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

This is the kind of signing that makes the Cody Ross asking price of 3/25 seem like a bargain

ive been saying this for weeks...he is 31, last year was his career avg in hr/rbis...and he is a hardnose player...why are we NOT signing him for this amount given our outfield situation?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Absolutely great deal for Hunter.  Not sure if it is such a great deal for the Tigers.  Would not have been a good deal for the Sox.

Hunter is aging and wants another chance to win a World Series so he signs with the AL Champs hoping that they can repeat.  He also gets paid much more than I would have thought that anyone would have paid him.

Tigers are getting an older guy who may or may not help them back to the World Series.

The Sox are rebuild mode and a 38 year old outfielder (probably at any money) is not really a guy to build around.

With next year's Red Sox team, I would rather see if guys like Kalish or Sands can become true big leaguers than have a guy like Hunter take 400-500 at bats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Hunter is worth every penny. But why have filet minon when you can have ground beef, right?

Filet Mignon?  No.  Sirloin maybe.  But I am not paying $25 for a sirloin steak.  Put it this way:  Torii is acceptable to eat with ketchup.

Sections
Shortcuts