Tigers Trade Away Fister

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tigers Trade Away Fister

Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers By  Jeff Todd [December 2 at 6:57pm CST]

The Nationals have acquired starter Doug Fister from the Tigers, a source tells Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com (via Twitter). The 29-year-old righty is represented by PSI Sports Management.

Fister posted a 3.67 ERA last year for Detroit over 208 2/3 innings. He is projected by MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz to earn $6.9MM this year through arbitration, and is not eligible for free agency until 2016.

There is no word yet on the return going back to the Tigers. As I explained in my breakdownof the Nats' off-season, the rotation was likely the single area where the club could make the greatest impact through a major addition. It appears that GM Mike Rizzo has done just that with today's trade.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Tigers Trade Away Fister

In response to johnjamesgoldman's comment:

Fister isn't a "major addition". He's a minor addition, which will be reflected in what goes back to the Tigers. 

https://twitter.com/DCameronFG/status/407676809690759168

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Nationals always are adding pitchers, and the Tigers maybe are stream-lining and building a better all around team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Fairly unimpressive package going to the tigers. Lombardozzi, Ray and Krol...Ho hum

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I say there's more to this than meets the eye. Fister is a young "almost stud" innings eating starter. I'm thinking it's likely another team wants some of the pieces they got for him, and another shoe is soon to drop. Hard to believe Detroit would be happy with this transaction as it stands.

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nationals always are adding pitchers, and the Tigers maybe are stream-lining and building a better all around team.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Fister had a regular season ERA+ of 128 with Detroit.

And a 2.98 postseason ERA for them in 48.1 innings.

Those are pretty good numbers to send packing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Makes no sense unless they're dumping salary for Max.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Makes no sense unless they're dumping salary for Max.

[/QUOTE]

That has to be it.  With Verlander, Scherzer and Sanchez, that would be 3 high-priced starters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Very, very strange trade unless another shoe drops.

For a pitcher with 2 years left of team contol, it seems like the Tigers could have received more of a haul.  With inferior pitchers Kazmir, Nolasco, Haren going for $10+ MM per year, the Tigers must not have wanted to deal him to an AL team.

Would the Sox have given up Anthony Ranaudo/Allen Webster and Brandon Workman and Brock Holt/Mookie Betts for Fister?  I say, yes, 100% they would.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ian Krol throws 300 mph.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ian Krol throws 300 mph.

And his name is an anagram for "Oral Ink".

Also "Rank Oil"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Tigers just signed Joe Nathan, so they have their closer. I expect more moves from them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Ian Krol throws 300 mph.

[/QUOTE]

said did Frank Montas.  Don't get me wrong Ian Krol may be a little under valued here....but this is still a surprisingly weak package for Fister. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Salary dump.  They needed money for a closer and Max.  Saved about $6 mill.  Same with the Prince for Kinsler trade.  Paring payroll.  Is'nt Miggy's contract coming up again in a year or two?  Tigers now know they became too 1-dimensional offensively,  and are trying to be more like the Sox.  It's a copycat league, as they say.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salary dump.  They needed money for a closer and Max.  Saved about $6 mill.  Same with the Prince for Kinsler trade.  Paring payroll.  Is'nt Miggy's contract coming up again in a year or two?  Tigers now know they became too 1-dimensional offensively,  and are trying to be more like the Sox.  It's a copycat league, as they say.

[/QUOTE]

How is this a Salary dump?  yes it reduces there Salary, but Fister was a very good pitcher who isn't a free agent until 2016.  Prince Fielder was a salary dump.  On the surface, Washington made out big time in this trade. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Wow... Tigers making moves before payroll jail happens with Sherzer in the sights with Miggy on the horizon.  That said, this must be a very underwhelming return for the fans of Detroit when they see a guy who gave a ton of quality innings last year and is controled for years get shipped out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tigers just signed Joe Nathan, so they have their closer. I expect more moves from them.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you southpaw777   Laughing

I think the Tigers will make one big splash by signing either Choo or Ellsbury.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree with you southpaw777   Laughing

I think the Tigers will make one big splash by signing either Choo or Ellsbury.   

Do you think they will live in the moment and splash for Choo or Ells, or do you think they will refrain and go after Miggy and Sherzer?  I would think they go after Miggy and Sherzer and these moves are indicative of them doing so.  I don't read they going after Choo or Ells at all.

The splash was Joe Nathan for two years and you must have missed it.  The future is Miggy and Sherzer... two of the best players at what they do in the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is this a Salary dump?  yes it reduces there Salary, but Fister was a very good pitcher who isn't a free agent until 2016.  Prince Fielder was a salary dump.  On the surface, Washington made out big time in this trade. 

[/QUOTE]

"yes it reduces there salary"

Bingo.

That is what this trade was all about. ie salary dump.

Salty gets 7M per for 3 years.

Boston wasn't the only team that had a low value tag on him.

He wont be missed.