Tigers v. Red Sox 2013 ALCS

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Tigers v. Red Sox 2013 ALCS

i stopped reading after "advantage jackson".  no logic whatsoever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

I stopped reading reading after "You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFireman."

The boards all screwed up and I'm not seeing the author of any thread....so at least 'ignore button' saved me!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Jackson over Ellsbury??  that is a joke of the day!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Note: Tigers won the season series 4 Games to 3

/QUOTE]

Counter note: Tigers had 4 of 7 at home in reg season ande were 3-1 in Comerica, 1-2 in Fenway.

In ALCS HFA swings to the Sox due to superior record.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

You two losers read the entire post. 

now, now...no reason to call people names.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Look at the production numbers there, Mr. emotional cheerleader. 2013 season, Jackson has scored more runs from the leadoff spot, has more homers, 2 less RBI's, and an .890 career OPS vs. the Red Sox. Defensively, neither player is more than average fielding, but Jackson has the better arm than, perhaps, the worst arm in MLB OF history.

As I said, advantage Jackson. 

Jackson do not need to run around the base due Miggy and Fielder both combined hitting 69 homeruns!!  

Ellsbury had 172 hits compare to Jackons had 150 hits.  Also Ellsbury stole 52 bases compuare to Jackson only stealing 8 bases. 

So therefore, Ellsbury get on base more often than Jackson!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Counter note: Tigers had 4 of 7 at home in reg season ande were 3-1 in Comerica, 1-2 in Fenway.

Counter note: Miggy was hurt in the 3 late games in Fenway, or the Tigers win the series 5 to 2. You need to beg and pray that his homer last night was just a slap hitting fluke from an injured player. 

Homefield isn't any advantage in the playoffs. In fact, the Tigers offense will love hitting in Fenway.

Homefield isn't an advantage in the playoffs? Thats laughable. Its ALWAYS an advantage. Thats why its called "Homefield advantage". This is a matchup between two very good and fairly evenly matched teams. I give the Red Sox the nod for four reasons: 

1. Home field advantage

2. The Red Sox were able to set their SP rotation whereas the Tigers were not

3. Miggy is hurting

4. Softy thinks the Tigers are better

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Counter note: Miggy was hurt in the 3 late games in Fenway, or the Tigers win the series 5 to 2.

/QUOTE]

Pure speculation.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Funny

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Site working funny today.
    Ellsbury hitting .227 against Verlander, .375 Fister, .556 Sherzer for his career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Look at the production numbers there, Mr. emotional cheerleader. 2013 season, Jackson has scored more runs from the leadoff spot, has more homers, 2 less RBI's, and an .890 career OPS vs. the Red Sox. Defensively, neither player is more than average fielding, but Jackson has the better arm than, perhaps, the worst arm in MLB OF history.

As I said, advantage Jackson. 

Speaking of emotional teanager pom pom leaders.  Stiffy's young hormones are all in a twitter, as she rages against her ex-boyfriend playing in the upcoming ALCS.  We simply need to let her be, as nothing will help instill logic in her posts.  A woman scorned.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Bingo - saved me a lot of time

Total joke as per usual

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think Softy's matchup analysis is pretty solid here, if, as always, a little biased when it comes to his whipping boys.  But, the breakdowns speak for themselves.  Most of the positional advantages go to the Sox.  But, the Tigers have at least 2 "aces".  Verlander served notice yesterday that he hasn't gone anywhere.  As long as Verlander is pitching like Verlander, series advantage:  Detroit.  Big time, healthy Miggy or no.  Sox are going to have to play their very best ball to have a chance. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Jackson struck out 12 times vs. the A's while JE looked like the Sox best player. Big advantage Boston in CF.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Note: Tigers won the season series 4 Games to 3

Austin Jackson   .890 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .754 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

12 HR  99 Runs 49 RBI's  Slightly Below Average Fielder with average arm

Jake Ellsbury     .812 Career OPS v. Tigers     .781 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

9 HR   92 Runs  53 RBI's   Slightly Above Average Fielder with no arm (2013 DL Stint)                                                 

Advantage Austin Jackson

Tori Hunter   .847 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .800 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

17 HR   90 Runs  84 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm        

Shane Victorino  1.060 Career OPS v. Tigers   .801 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

15 HR  82 Runs 61 RBI's  Elite Fielder with above average arm

Advantage Shane Victorino

Miguel Cabrera  .888 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .967 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

44 HR 103  Runs  137 RBI's  Well Below Average Fielder with average arm  

Will Middlebrooks 1.020 Career OPS v. Tigers  .756 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

17 HR  41 Runs 49 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm (2013 Demoted)

Advantage Miguel Cabrera 

Prince Fielder  1.072 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .819 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

25 HR 82  Runs  106 RBI's  Poor Fielder with below average arm  

Mike Napoli .747 Career OPS v. Tigers  .842 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

23 HR  79 Runs 92 RBI's  Above Average Fielder with above average arm

Advantage Mike Napoli 

Victor Martinez  .884 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .785 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

14 HR 83  Runs  68 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm  

David Ortiz      .954 Career OPS v. Tigers  .959 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

30 HR  84 Runs 103 RBI's  Poor Fielder with below average arm

Advantage David Ortiz

Jhonny Peralta  .705 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .815 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

11 HR 50  Runs  55 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm  (Suspended 2013)

Stephen Drew  .571 Career OPS v. Tigers  .777 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

13 HR  57 Runs 67 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm

Advantage Jhonny Peralta 

Alex Avila    Career .879 OPS v Red Sox  .693 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

11 HR 39  Runs  47 RBI's  Poor Fielder with average arm (2013 DL Stint)

Jarrod Saltalamacchia .493 Career OPS v. Tigers  .804 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

14 HR  68 Runs 65 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with below average arm

Advantage Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Omar Infante  .782 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .795 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

10 HR  54 Runs  51 RBI's  Average Fielder with average arm (Bottom of Lineup) 

Dustin Pedroia .678 Career OPS v. Tigers  .787 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Down)

9 HR  91 Runs 84 RBI's  Elite Fielder with above average arm (Middle of Lineup)

Advantage Dustin Pedroia

Don Kelly  .572 Career OPS v. Red Sox  .652 OPS in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

6 HR 33 Runs 23 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm  

Dan Nava  .866 Career OPS v. Tigers  .831 OPS  in 2013 (Recent Trending Up)

12 HR  77 Runs 66 RBI's  Below Average Fielder with average arm (.200 OPS @ Detroit)

Advantage Dan Nava 

Now, as Space has claimed, the deeper lineup is the new baseball way. Clearly, the Red Sox have the deeper lineup. I'll do the pitching matchups, later, but it's clear the Tigers are much better than the Red Sox through the first 3 starters, while the Red Sox have the deeper starters through the first 4 starters. The Red Sox pen is much better than the Tigers, so it all adds up as two pitching staffs that don't have any big overall advantage either way. 

So, why did the Tigers win the overall season series? Red Sox played consistent all year, Tigers suffered more ups and downs and had to play the last series against the Red Sox with Miggy suffering from the current injury problems that are still bothering him.

Answer: Miggy (See Miggy-Fielder and Manny-Ortiz)

The Red Sox are the inferior baseball team with a fatal flaw, but if Miggy struggles with the injury and his performance then both teams have the AL fatal flaw that most big market AL GM's are too incomptent to understand when they are busy lavishing labor with nearly a quater of a billion dollars a year in contracts.   

If Miggy's Game 5 homer vs. the A's wasn't just a wounded slap hitter, as a sensitive and acerbic poster on this Board likes to say, then Miggy's a wounded bear who will be the difference in this series. And I'm not using "ifs" after the outcome.

Ortiz v. Verlander 1.174 career OPS

Ortiz v. Scherzer  1.689 career OPS

Ortiz v. Fister         .668 career OPS 

And here is your fatal flaw, infra:

Napoli v. Verlander .863 career OPS

Napoli v. Scherzer    .220 career OPS

Napoli v. Fister         .393 career OPS 

If the Verlander and Scherzer simply put Ortiz on every time he comes up with the game close on the scoreboard and a base open, that's checkmate against the offense of Manager John Farrell.

For the Red Sox, if Miggy is 75% of his normal capabilities (Last night showed he might be their or better now), and if Leland doesn't incompetently pull a Manager John pitch to Longoria type of signature blunder, and Leland does what is obvious when facing Ortiz's series PA's, the Tigers will win this series just like the won the season series, with one possible barometric exception:

Middlebrooks. If Middlebrooks finds his pre-injuries 2012 form, and Manager John moves him up in the lineup as soon as that gives just a glimpse of a possiblity, the Red Sox will beat the Tigers.

The baramoters for this series that I'll be watching (I do audio during games and video after games) are as follows:

1. Miggy's swings in Game 1 and Game 2 to see whether he's a playoff dead bear or a wounded bear capable of offensive destruction on a level that hasn't been seen in a half a century or more

2. How Leland pitches to Ortiz

3. Middlebrook's swings in Game and Game 2

Unlike the first series, I have a source who, if I asked, would give me a guarantee on the winner of this series. But, this time, I don't view the Tigers as the boring and embarrassing whipping post that I knew the Rays were. So I want to enjoy this one without knowing the outcome, which isn't the same ast he betting line.

That's all, folks.

Naps over Fielder? lol lol ...i would rather Fielder behind Ortiz then Naps... Heck i'd rather the guy selling peanuts play first  over  STRIKEOUT KING Naps

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Jackson struck out 12 times vs. the A's while JE looked like the Sox best player. Big advantage Boston in CF.

Wrong, don't let your hormones do your writing. Shane and Ortiz were the best Red Sox offensive performers. A's park and pitching doesn't replace the Jackson lifetime numbers vs. REd Sox on OPS, nor does it replace the runs he's scored from the leadoff spot for the Tigers.

Advantatge Jackson. Ellsbury's only huge advantage is what he could make you do.

LOL :)

Speaking of raging hormones....  Stiffy's are seriously out of whack!  This poor teanage girl can't seem to get her footing after being proven wrong on 95% of his 2013 Red Sox predictions.  What will she say when proven wrong for the umpteanth time when all these predictions don't come true?

That's right she'll change the subject once again.

The most recent illustrative point is Stiffy's new-found love for Shane Vic.  LOL......   She even wants to take credit for a guy he ripped all season long, starting well before the season began.  At least she now seems to acknowledge Vic's obvious success.  I'm not even sure Stiffy realizes she is now making the obvious case for Vic's value signing, but it's sure fun to watch her spin.   :)

Poor stiffy!   ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Ortiz is 3-3 with 2 HRS against Sanchez, Sox will load up Lefties against him, the way the A's did. Dont be surprise if you dont see the Super-sub, Carp play 1st in game 1.

Sections
Shortcuts