Tigers v. Red Sox 2013 ALCS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Tigers v. Red Sox 2013 ALCS

Pete Abraham          

Farrell says Red Sox will use a rotation of Lester, Buchholz, Lackey and Peavy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Farrell needs to seriously think about Napoli batting behind Ortiz.  His OPS numbers against the Tigers are not good.  The IBBs of Ortiz will be coming.

Lester's splits against the Tigers  aren't awe-inspiring.  He's gonna have to dig deep.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

No news on the Red Sox starters for Game 1 through 4. 

Red Sox to start Clay Buchholz in Game 2, John Lackey in Game 3 of ALCS vs. Tigers
    10.11.13 at 4:32 pm ET
    By Alex Speier

Red Sox manager John Farrell said that after Jon Lester makes the Game 1 start in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series against the Tigers, the team will feature right-hander Clay Buchholz in Game 2 and John Lackey in Game 3, flip-flopping the two right-handers from the order in which they pitched in the Division Series. Jake Peavy is once again slated to start Game 4. Farrell suggested that Buchholz threw well in his Game 3 start against the Rays, and that while Lackey also ultimately earned a win, the Sox thought he might benefit from some side work, including pitching against some teammates in live batting practice on Friday.

Asked if he’d identified his starter at third base for Games 1 and 2 of the series, Farrell said that Will Middlebrooks would start Game 1, but then the team was contemplating the possibility of changing course (presumably, meaning the possibility of a playoff start for Xander Bogaerts) for Game 2, when Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer (against whom Middlebrooks is 1-for-6 with four strikeouts in his career — though with what proved to be the game-winning two-run single against him in September) will be on the mound.

“Based on some matchups, we’ve got some things that we’re looking at in a couple of different spots,” said Farrell.

It is worth noting that Middlebrooks is not alone in his struggles against Scherzer. Mike Napoli is 1-for-13 with one walk and five strikeouts against him; Daniel Nava is 1-for-9 with a walk and two strikeouts; Mike Carp is 2-for-8 with a walk and five strikeouts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Farrell needs to seriously think about Napoli batting behind Ortiz.  His OPS numbers against the Tigers are not good.  The IBBs of Ortiz will be coming.

Lester's splits against the Tigers  aren't awe-inspiring.  He's gonna have to dig deep.

Napoli had a good September, but Nava is probably the best choice to follow Ortiz.  Against righties, maybe even Drew. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

[QUOTE]

Cabrera and Ortiz are what AL baseball is all about, not Ellsbury and Victorino.

I guess it's true what they say, Girls love the long ball

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Napoli had a good September, but Nava is probably the best choice to follow Ortiz.  Against righties, maybe even Drew. 

No lefties in DT

1  Ells

2  Vic

3  Pedey

4  Ortiz

5  Naps/Carp

6 Nava/Carp

7 Salty/Ross

8 Drew

9  Middlebrooks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

1. Home field advantage  (Ask the Indians, A's and Braves and Rangers about homefield "advantage") 

So let me understand this: you would rather have four games in Detroit than four in Boston because home field is not an advantage, right? Yes, it DOES matter. Thats why teams win more games, in general, at home than on the road. You are being disingenuous if you state otherwise.

2. The Red Sox were able to set their SP rotation whereas the Tigers were not  (Tigers have 3 top tier starters, while the Red Sox have, at the most, 2. The Tigers rotation is fine, with Game 2 being more important than Game 1. Sherzer for Game 2, Verlander for Game 3, Fister for Game 4, all fully rested. with Sherzer and Verlander fully rested for Game 6 and Game 7 in a series that will probably go at least 6 or 7 games. Heaven help the Red Sox if they blow Game 1. 

Game one will be key. Lester is going to have to win his game against Sanchez, and I think he will do just that. I agree that Scherzer and Verlander have an advantage over our top two SP, but after that WE have the advantage. We are also better in the bullpen. 

3. Miggy is hurting (We'll see, but seems to have adjusted to playing with the injury and is more like a wounded bear, with the tipping point homer, last night.)

"Adjusted to playing with the injury"? He is hurt; players who are hurt perform less well overall than players who are healthy. His injury will reduce the chance he will perform well, reduce the likely overall play of the Tigers, and increase the chances that we can beat them.

4. Softy thinks the Tigers are better  (I'm not softy, but the Tigers were better in the regular season. If Miggy hits like last night, the Tigers will take this series.) 

We know who you are and as long as your politics are left out of this forum, I have no problems with the way you post here. As for the Tigers being better during the regular season, that is false since we won more games and had a larger run differential. Their pitching finished with a lower ERA; we finished ahead in runs scored. There are reasons we have been favored by the oddsmakers to win the series. It will not be easy, and we COULD lose the series. But right now, if I were a betting man, my money would be on the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

Base running and stolen bases will decide this series. 

Stolen bases will not decide this series. "Agressive" is just another way to say "small ball". Baserunning, not steals, is a factor in nearly every series. It's taught in spring training and speed is overrated when it comes to baserunning.

First , I didn't say "small ball" .......... Secondly...........watch and learn if that's even possible for you...........Third and last, talk to me in a week or so if you're not either in hiding or using a different name

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Oh Stiffy, you're so cute.   Beyond pathetic, but cute none the less.

No matter how many ways you've been proven wrong about this 2013 Red Sox team, you are still under the delusion that if you keep making predictions, & one happens to come true, you will somehow be seen as "the great armchair prognosticator," who has finally been proven to be right all along.

LOL

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with such delusions of grandeur.  News flash nancy!!!!   Your taking the brave stance that the Sox don't make it past Detroit is not exactly a gutsy call.  Let us disabuse you of the notion that we failed to understand just how good Detroit is, what with their outstanding pitching.  Are you truely this soft, to where you actually think you're the only one with this prescient knowledge?  The average 3rd grade Boston Red Sox fan could have taken your oh so brave stance.

How does somebody become this big a megalomaniac to where they have to root against "their own team?"  Well, that's easy.  The Sox aren't your team. 

It's actually been a joy to watch you squirm all year long, being proven wrong time & time again about almost everything Red Sox.  :)  Yes stiffy, we know if a troll hangs around long enough, they will eventually make an accidental correct call. 

It's actually beyond pathetic to watch a supposed adult wrap their entire sense of self-worth in making just one correct call about the Red Sox over the big sample entirety of a season.  I have to hand it to you, a lesser narcissist would have folded his tent & stayed hidden in his mom's basement.  At least you had the guts to crawl out & give it one more go. 

While you will impute the false sense of crawling back on top with the prospect of the Sox losing, the rest of us already know that you will remain the same old pathetic dweeb we all know so well. 

The rest of us will likely go down swinging for our beloved Red Sox, but at least we know the true value of being an actual fan.  We live, breeth, eat, sleep, & dream about OUR Red Sox going all the way.  Hope against hope, we have been behind this team all the way.  Win or Lose, we will feel the full weight of the ultimate outcome.  Whether it's the thrill of victory, or the real agony of defeat, we will bleed over every play.  It's OUR team afterall. 

You on the other hand will feel nothing, except the possibility of some false & demented sense of being "proven" right.  What a pathetic existence!  :)  !!!!  We all know it's all you've got.

;)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

What is this "we" you speak of. I didn't know you spoke for anyone but your pitiful cheerleader droning childlike self. 

Oh sorry big boy.  I almost forgot about your one girl teanage fan club!  I should have left Lil' billy out of the calculus. 

My sincerest apologies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

You know stiffy....  with your unblemished record of incorrect calls this season, it's almost a shame to ruin that with one slimy accidental correct call.

You personify the proverbial broken coo coo clock.  ;)

Hang in their stiff one!  You may actually get one right this season.  & some folks thought you were all over the board with your predictions.  Why you have been nothing short of the model of consistency.  I would really hate to see this loser streak end!   ;)   I'm pulling for your perfect season little man!

Sections
Shortcuts