Tim Britton and Brian MacPherson talking Stanton trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Tim Britton and Brian MacPherson talking Stanton trade

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20140319-live-now-red-sox-chat-with-britton-and-macpherson.ece

they think Owens, WMB, Betts, and Anthony Ranaudo or Brian Johnson could get Stanton.  Do you agree?  Would you do this trade if you were Sox GM?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Tim Britton and Brian MacPherson talking Stanton trade

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/20140319-live-now-red-sox-chat-with-britton-and-macpherson.ece

they think Owens, WMB, Betts, and Anthony Ranaudo or Brian Johnson could get Stanton.  Do you agree?  Would you do this trade if you were Sox GM?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this article.  I read whatever these guys are writing.  Tim Britton is usually right on the money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd probably give Middy, Barnes, Ranaudo, Betts, Johnson, de la Rosa, and Brentz or Hassan for Stanton & Cishek.

Then sign Drew to $8M/1 and slide Bogey to 3B.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd probably give Middy, Barnes, Ranaudo, Betts, Johnson, de la Rosa, and Brentz or Hassan for Stanton & Cishek.

[/QUOTE]

That would definitely make the SOX  a much better team offensively and defensively.

[/QUOTE]

Victorino would be in CF, so our OF defense would be worsened, unless we play Stanton in LF and trade Nava/Gomes.JBJ would be in AAA and Sizemore or Carp would be dealt or phantomed DL'd. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Is this the same STANTON that DAD & BILL-806 were talking about 4 days ago ?????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this the same STANTON that DAD & BILL-806 were talking about 4 days ago ?????

[/QUOTE]

No.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bill, I ask politely not to ruin my post.  Thank you for your cooperation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No Bill.  Very different Stanton.  This Stanton invloves a specific, plausible trade hypothesis and is actually worth talking about.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No but I would if I were the Marlins.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I wouldn't make the trade.

I'm always hesitant to trade a bunch of prospects for one player. There have been too many cases where it blows up in the face of the team that traded the prospects.

And there's just something about Stanton that makes me want to stay away from him. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's the hype. Perhaps it's him playing under 123 and 116 games respectively the last two years. I don't know, but something inside me says stay away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm always hesitant to trade a bunch of prospects for one player. There have been too many cases where it blows up in the face of the team that traded the prospects.

And there's just something about Stanton that makes me want to stay away from him. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's the hype. Perhaps it's him playing under 123 and 116 games respectively the last two years. I don't know, but something inside me says stay away.

[/QUOTE]

Roy, my Spidey Sense is also set off by Stanton.  No doubt he is talented, but I think the tape-measure fireworks obscure an incomplete skill set.  In any case, without the benefit of more than 1 healthy year, it is really hard to guage whether he is homerun hype, or whether he is really F*&k-It-Give-em-the-farm real-deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Owens and Ranaudo alone would make me hesitant to make this trade. If they wanted to package around Middy, I would consider him, one of those guys and Betts. I would still not be sure. All four of them for a hugely talented player who can't seem to stay on the field...not a chance. If they would take Middy, Lavarnway, a starting pitching prospect and say Brentz, then I pull the trigger. I still would like to keep Middy. I think Xander is a SS and wouldn't want to block Ceccini at 3rd. I think those two will wind up being the left side of the infield for years. Middy, if he develops like we hope, could slide to 1st.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you trade Xander even up for Giancarlo rather than put a package together?

Stanton has shown he's capable of putting up pretty good numbers. Xander is still a prospect after a handful of games.

I would be inclined to go for Stanton and Cishek, as I've advocated for in the past, in exchange for perhaps Xander, Taz, Johnson and  Brentz. No way I give up the pitching proposed earlier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.  We should still be top-3 roughly on offense.  I am not trading the future for an upgrade on offense.  I also think we'll downgrade Vic by playing in CF every day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That would definitely make the SOX  a much better team offensively and defensively.

[/QUOTE]

Victorino would be in CF, so our OF defense would be worsened, unless we play Stanton in LF and trade Nava/Gomes.JBJ would be in AAA and Sizemore or Carp would be dealt or phantomed DL'd. 

[/QUOTE]

You seem to be giving up on Sizemore. With Stanton in the line-up the SOX could even live with JBJ's weak bat.

[/QUOTE]

If Stanton joins the Sox, someone gets benched.

It won't be Victorino.

It probably won't be Nava/Gomes.

It most likely would be Sizemore/JBJ, and a forced move by Victorino to CF.

I suppose we could trade Nava and/or Gomes and go with this...

LF: Stanton

CF: Sizemore/JBJ

RF: Victorino

(BTW, I have been saying I think Sizemore should start in CF and JBJ sent to AAA, so I'm not seeing how I am giving up on Sizemore.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would you trade Xander even up for Giancarlo rather than put a package together?

Stanton has shown he's capable of putting up pretty good numbers. Xander is still a prospect after a handful of games.

I would be inclined to go for Stanton and Cishek, as I've advocated for in the past, in exchange for perhaps Xander, Taz, Johnson and  Brentz. No way I give up the pitching proposed earlier.

[/QUOTE]

Nooo!!!  XB stays.  No way, no how do you trade this kid for anyone short of Mike Trout.  No one else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It wouldn't make any sense.  We had the best OPS in the league for LF.  The biggest improvement you can make as a team is to acquire a player to address your biggest weakness.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It wouldn't make any sense.  We had the best OPS in the league for LF.  The biggest improvement you can make as a team is to acquire a player to address your biggest weakness.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we had the best LF OPS, but I agree that LF is not our biggest weakness. If we got Stanton, it would be to be to play him in RF, Shane in CF, and see a big gain in OF offense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If Miami were to make Giancarlo Stanton available in trade, the Marlins probably could land an established young cost-controlled player and at least one elite prospect.

The suggested Red Sox trade pieces fall into neither category. Will Middlebrooks' MLB exposure has raised doubts. The current Baseball America Top 100 prospect list ranks Henry Owens No. 40 and Mookie Betts No. 75 while three years have passed since Anthony Ranaudo's only ranking at No. 67 in 2011. Middlebrooks peaked at No. 51 in 2013 before losing his prospect status.

I don't see the Marlins substituting quantity for quality in a trade of Stanton. I would expect a player or two who are or have been ranked among the Top 10 prospects and/or who have posted a promising WAR at the MLB level. I suspect other teams could make that offer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You never know what's going to happen with one player, and if something does, you lose all the guys you traded for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

(BTW, I have been saying I think Sizemore should start in CF and JBJ sent to AAA, so I'm not seeing how I am giving up on Sizemore.)

[/QUOTE]

I like the Sox the way they are. I think that they will do OK, but I also like the trade that you envision. Prospects are prospects until proven otherwise. I would try to insert Nava into your trade for Stanton instead of Brentz/Hassan. 

I agree with your OF: Stanton in LF instead of Nava/Gomes. In that scenario, Carp and Gomes especially cannot be the 4th OF. 

Not trying to be negative, but there would be plenty of time for JBJ to play. Stanton and Victorino probably play 130 games each. Sizemore gets to 100 and we are doing well. That leaves JBJ with 126 games himself. 

I would feel better keeping Nava if he was a bit better fielder. Can you see Carp or Gomes at 126 games? I can't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

7 players for 2? And the main piece, who has been a big injury risk?

Pass. I would NEVER give up that much for Stanton.

Cishek has proven to be a decent bullpen arm, and both have 3 years of control. Still, I dont trust all the injuries Stanton has had to give up that much. JMHO.

Sections
Shortcuts