Tim Lincecum a possibility?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

Re: Tim Lincecum a possibility?

In Response to Re: Tim Lincecum a possibility?:
    [QUOTE]How about this as a framework to work something out? 1) We sign Papi. 2) We trade Youk ($12M), Iggy and Weiland to Cincy. 3) Cincy sends Johnny Cueto to SF and Scott Rolen ($6.5M/'12) to Boston. 4) We send Lowrie and Reddick to SF. 5) SF sends us Lincecum. (I actually would not mind Cueto coming here)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

IF there is a opportunity like this, I say its a steal for sox. Although I wonder why would Giants send Lincecum just fo Lowrie and Reddick? I think it will take more than that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Lincecum a possibility? : IF there is a opportunity like this, I say its a steal for sox. Although I wonder why would Giants send Lincecum just fo Lowrie and Reddick? I think it will take more than that.
    Posted by lhtak[/QUOTE]

They're getting cuerto as well.  SF is getting a decent deal, and saving money doing it.  It is Cincy that might want more.  Might have to be renauldo instead of weiland.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They're getting cuerto as well.  SF is getting a decent deal, and saving money doing it.  It is Cincy that might want more.  Might have to be renauldo instead of weiland.

Youk, Lowrie, Reddick, Iggy and Ranaudo?

I think that might be a bit much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

JOSE IGLESIAS AND WILL MIDDLEBROOKS IS UNTOUCHABLE .. THEY WILL NO BE INVOLVED IN ANY TRADE .. 

YOUK, ANTONY RENAUDO (3TH PROSPECT) XANDER BOGAERTS (4TH PROSPCT), JED LOWRIE, JOSH REDDICK AND MATT BARNES (7TH PROSPECT) 

FOR TIM LINCECUM.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

no. no possibility whatsoever. 

However AJ Burnett is available to us for the right price.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Cincinnati Reds last season finished fifth of 30 teams in hitting Wins Above Replacement (WAR), but 28th of 30 teams in pitching WAR.

With that in mind, I don't see the Reds trading away their best pitcher -- a 25-year-old stud starter -- for an aging Kevin Youkilis, a non-tender candidate in 27-year-old Jed Lowrie, a pedestrian outfielder who turns 25 in February, and two touted prospects who struggled in 2011.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Lincecum a possibility? : The Sox could easily trade Reddick,Iggy and Exposito and even throw in Youkilis for Tim Lincecum and he would do very well in Boston provided he stays healthy,of course I could win the next big lottery jackpot because I play every week. Better chance that the Sox acquire Tim's services than me hitting the right numbers..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I really, really, really wish you were the GM of the Giants if you think that is a good trade.

If I found a lamp with a genie who told me I could have 3 wishes, I would absolutely dedicate one to making sportsbozo1 the General Manager of the San Francisco Giants....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]The Giants are only 2 offensive players away from easily taking the division in 2012.... say a Jose Reyes, and trade up for some 30 homer 100 ribbie outfielder and it is a done deal. If they have to trade their best pitcher in order to get that one hitter than they will not win any title. 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Technically, they had neither of those things in 2010 and still won the World Series.

Really, they just need Posey to stay in one piece.

And to keep Lincecum and the pitching staff intact...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Giants are only 2 offensive players away from easily taking the division in 2012.... say a Jose Reyes, and trade up for some 30 homer 100 ribbie outfielder and it is a done deal.

If they have to trade their best pitcher in order to get that one hitter than they will not win any title. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Here is another take on Tim Lincecum's trade value:

http://www.mlbtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=6229

And:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/128880-Trade-Idea

By the way, Tim Lincecum remembers Jon Lester from their high school days in the Seattle area:

"I actually remember him more as a first baseman than a pitcher, hitting home runs," Lincecum said. "I remember a tournament we had in Bellevue. It was a pretty hyped-up game and Lester was pitching. I didn't even know he was a pitcher at that point, because he still raked as a first baseman. Then he took the mound and he was throwing 93, 94. It was pretty impressive. The scouts were all watching him. I was hoping to be in that position one day."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/larrystone/2012341484_stone13.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If that team is healthy, they could easily take it as they stand now. 

The only team close to a healty Giants team is a healthy Diamindbacks team that has only 2 starting pitchers....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I agree, the division is always attainable in the NL West... but if they want to ensure that, and go all the way..... they had best ad two solid guys. I certainly am not talking about Pujols, but a Cudduyer level player along with Reyes would be sweet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Another angle to take with SF could be to take on one of their dead-end salary contracts to get a prize player for cheaper than it would be without.

I do not want Zito or Huff on the 2012 Sox, but taking one of them would greatly lessen the amount of players we'd need to give up to get Lincecum or Cain. I also wonder if they like Crawford. A Crawford, Youk (3-way) and prospects for Zito & Cain or Lincecum could be interesting. If not, maybe we could trade Youk & Salty for Cueto & Rolen, and trade Reddick, Lowrie, Jenks,  Iggy, Weiland, and Ranaudo for Lincecum and Zito. This would allow SF to sign Reyes or Cuddyer and others.

We'd have this rotation:
    Lincecum
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholtz
    Cueto

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Another angle to take with SF could be to take on one of their dead-end salary contracts to get a prize player for cheaper than it would be without. I do not want Zito or Huff on the 2012 Sox, but taking one of them would greatly lessen the amount of players we'd need to give up to get Lincecum or Cain. I also wonder if they like Crawford. A Crawford, Youk (3-way) and prospects for Zito & Cain or Lincecum could be interesting. If not, maybe we could trade Youk & Salty for Cueto & Rolen, and trade Reddick, Lowrie, Jenks,  Iggy, Weiland, and Ranaudo for Lincecum and Zito. This would allow SF to sign Reyes or Cuddyer and others. We'd have this rotation: Lincecum Beckett Lester Buchholtz Cueto
    The Cincinnati Reds last season finished fifth of 30 teams in hitting Wins Above Replacement (WAR), but 28th of 30 teams in pitching WAR.

With that in mind, I don't see the Reds trading away their best pitcher -- a 25-year-old stud starter -- for an aging Kevin Youkilis and the 2.88 OBP and projected $1.6 million salary* of Jarrod Saltalamacchia (especially when Cincinnati has two of baseball's top catching prospects in 22-year-olds Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal).

* http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Lincecum a possibility? : The Cincinnati Reds last season finished fifth of 30 teams in hitting Wins Above Replacement (WAR), but 28th of 30 teams in pitching WAR. With that in mind, I don't see the Reds trading away their best pitcher -- a 25-year-old stud starter -- for an aging Kevin Youkilis and the 2.88 OBP and projected $1.6 million salary* of Jarrod Saltalamacchia (especially when Cincinnati has two of baseball's top catching prospects in 22-year-olds Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal). * http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Youk will be 33 when the season begins. That's not young, but it's not really old either. His OPS improved every season of his career until 2012 when it dropped from .975 to .833. I think the injury had a lot to do with the large drop. 

My guess is his 2012 OPS will be near .900-.940. His option year (2013) should be about .880-.910. That would go a long way in improving Cincy's offense by putting him up before or after Votto. 

I also think Lowrie and Reddick would help as well. 

I think Cincy's catcher prospects are 2-4 years away, and Salty would carry them to that point. As for Salty's .288 OBP, it is not very good, but there are 7 MLb catcher with over 250 PAs in 2012 with a worse OBP. There are 24 with a worse Slg%. Salty finished 13th out of the top 33 catchers by PAs in OPS. He has a good CS% for a team notorious for not holding runners very well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Lincecum a possibility? : Youk will be 33 when the season begins. That's not young, but it's not really old either. His OPS improved every season of his career until 2012 when it dropped from .975 to .833. I think the injury had a lot to do with the large drop.  My guess is his 2012 OPS will be near .900-.940. His option year (2013) should be about .880-.910. That would go a long way in improving Cincy's offense by putting him up before or after Votto.  I also think Lowrie and Reddick would help as well.  I think Cincy's catcher prospects are 2-4 years away, and Salty would carry them to that point. As for Salty's .288 OBP, it is not very good, but there are 7 MLb catcher with over 250 PAs in 2012 with a worse OBP. There are 24 with a worse Slg%. Salty finished 13th out of the top 33 catchers by PAs in OPS. He has a good CS% for a team notorious for not holding runners very well. 
    Cincinnati catcher Devin Mesoraco doesn't have much more to prove at Triple A after posting a .289/.371/.484/.855 line in 2011 and next season will be the same age Alex Avila, Matt Wieters, Carlos Santana, Wilson Ramos and Russell Martin were when they came up (and a year older than Busey Posey was).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=mesora001dev

But the real question is: Why would the Reds trade away their best pitcher for a hitter when their pitching (not their hitting) represented their downfall in 2011?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The Reds would also have to assume Youk's big salary of 12 mil for 2012 and the Sox contract has an option at 14 mil for 2013 which I assume goes with a trade.  That said they would be giving up their top pitcher that they just inked to a 4 yr 27 mil contract and replace it with Youk's 12 mil + Salty's pittance and find pitching to replace Cueto...I just can't see the Reds who are tight on money even looking at this deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The Reds are not going to trade Cueto. I follow them as well as the Sox. Forget it. They already made one dumb trade sending Hamilton to Texas for Volquez.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW.....the Reds are not going to want Youkilis. They have Rolen at third, as well as a stud named Francisco at AAA who has Ruthian type power, he just needs a bit more seasoning. Theres some guy named Votto at first too. NEXT........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]How about this as a framework to work something out? 1) We sign Papi. 2) We trade Youk ($12M), Iggy and Weiland to Cincy. 3) Cincy sends Johnny Cueto to SF and Scott Rolen ($6.5M/'12) to Boston. 4) We send Lowrie and Reddick to SF. 5) SF sends us Lincecum. (I actually would not mind Cueto coming here)

And you think Youkilis has had injury trouble? Rolen is on the DL more than he's off, and his production drops off dramatically every year in the second half lately. He just can't hold up anymore. Don't want him here, except maybe off the bench. He might do you some good then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Lowrie and Reddick for Lincecum? I have a better idea, Lowrie straight up for Tulowitzki, and Colorado has to pick up most of his salary. They'll go for it trust me, especially if we send them Lackey with two cadaver tendons in jars of formaldehyde just in case. No offense intended guys, and sorry for all the negativity, but these ideas just aren't gonna happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Reds would also have to assume Youk's big salary of 12 mil for 2012 and the Sox contract has an option at 14 mil for 2013 which I assume goes with a trade.  That said they would be giving up their top pitcher that they just inked to a 4 yr 27 mil contract and replace it with Youk's 12 mil + Salty's pittance and find pitching to replace Cueto...I just can't see the Reds who are tight on money even looking at this deal.

Youk's 2013 option is $13M with a $1M buyout.

Rolen is due $6.5M in 2012, so subtract that from Youk's deal. Cueto gets paid a lot in a few years: 12:$5.4M, 13:$7.4M, 14:$10M, 15:$10M club option ($0.8M buyout)

You guys may think Lowrie and Reddick are no good, but take a look at Cincy's SS and Rf OPS last year:

SS:
    Janish  .521
    Renteria .654

RF:
    Stubbs  .686

If they don't want Salty, maybe a 3rd team could get involved or we could give them Doubront instead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie and Reddick for Lincecum? I have a better idea, Lowrie straight up for Tulowitzki, and Colorado has to pick up most of his salary. They'll go for it trust me, especially if we send them Lackey with two cadaver tendons in jars of formaldehyde just in case. No offense intended guys, and sorry for all the negativity, but these ideas just aren't gonna happen.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

The deal was for SF to get Cueto, Lowrie and Reddick for Lincecum. Please try to keep up.

And you think Youkilis has had injury trouble? Rolen is on the DL more than he's off, and his production drops off dramatically every year in the second half lately. He just can't hold up anymore. Don't want him here, except maybe off the bench. He might do you some good then.

Rolen was part of the deal to lessen the financial hit on Cincy and not as a key player fopr the Sox 2012 team. We have Aviles to play 3B, and could also move Scutty over and use Iggy at SS. Middlebrooks could also join the team mid-season. The deal was about Cueto not Rolen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]this team was right in picking up Gonzalez....now ...this year.......they need a similar move in the pitching dept. Lincecum I said was a stretch (even though Burrito had to put in his 2 cents) , but I'm not content settling for these little nibble moves this year and getting stuck with the same clowns as last year...
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

agreed.
    and sandwich, i mean burrito, has nothing better to do than give people a hard time.
    imo, those that dont contribute and only attack should be removed from the board. 
    it would be a lot friendlier place and more fun for everyone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Giants are NOT trading Lincecum and the Reds are NOT trading Cueto.

This thread is getting very unimaginative, beyond people imagining ways that other teams would step all over their own internal plans to help the Red Sox....