Tim Wakefield a pro's, pro!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield a pro's, pro!

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield a pro's, pro!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield a pro's, pro! : It's more than sad. It's either a 15 year old kid or some aging, bald dork who has so much anger and bitterness in their life, they have to complain about the legend known as Tim Wakefield. Just pathetic. It's like an annual right of passage for some Sox fans. If Wakefield had pitched in the NL West the last 15 years, he'd already be at 250 wins and be a HOF candidate.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Totally agree - on all counts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I was waiting for him to implode but last night it didn't happen. Good for him. With all the injuries to the staff having Wakefield in the rotation may be more of a blessing than a curse at the moment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many "moments" before and many more to come...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yet they win the games he pitches.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Does Felix pitch for Boston? The Mariners deserve your loyalty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Remember Artie Johnson as the Nazi general in Laugh In?

Veeerry inteereeessting ... but stupid.

Still funny

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Felix deserves baseball fan loyalty, Wakefield deserves retirement.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

You like looking like a dolt, dont you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Tim Wakefield a pro's, pro!:
    [QUOTE]Love or hate em, you gotta give the guy his props...Last night was yet another example of the guys value to the team. When the season is over and we look back read the box scores with the results of last nights ballgame, it'll show that Wake, got a W, going 7 strong with a quality start. What the box score won't show is that he did so on a night when (the team) the pen needed a blow, after pitching 12 innings combined in the two preceeding games, thus allowing the Sox to enter the next series with a rested middle relief corp. My guess is that he would have stayed out there and pitched even if the Jay's had lit him up early because the Sox needed innings from him yesterday, the W was gravy! Tip of the cap to a pro's pro for a job well done. Tim Wakefield "the Sox most valuable asset"...44 and still baffling ML hitters!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Good post I couldn't agree more

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE] I was waiting for him to implode but last night it didn't happen. Good for him. With all the injuries to the staff having Wakefield in the rotation may be more of a blessing than a curse at the moment.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Trout,
    I have always appreciated what Wake's done for the team over the last decade and this year is just another example of why he's so highly regarded by Francona & Epstein. While it's difficult to place a true value on his body of work, he's certainly earned his paycheck.  Having a veteran guy that will and can take the ball regardless of the venue or the circumstances go out on the hill and compete has to be reassuring for Francona...Not sure what is more valuable? His ability to take the ball every five days and/or work out of the pen in long relief, and give us valuable innings or that he's willing and able to take the ball regardless of the circumstances and compete...

Like you, I too have an uneasy feeling when he's on the mound (So too does his catcher that day). From one start to the next, inning to inning or pitch to pitch he's like a box of chocolates not sure what your gonna get he can look unhittable for 3 and then give up a 5 spot, come back out and cruise for 2 more and give up another 5 spot...When his knuckler is dancing on the wind, he's tough to square up, when it tumbles, look out on landsdown street and drivers beware on Mass Pike, he's simply a Pro's Pro!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The Sox are 7-4 this season in Wakefield's 11 starts. The offense is averaging 5.5 runs in those games, a number significantly boosted by 11 against the Yankees and 12 against the Brewers. One of his losses came in a shutout at Tampa Bay in which he gave up one ER over 7 IP.

Wake's averaging 6 2/3 innings per start and pitched into the seventh at least five times. Who the hell cares how many hits he gives up?

Remember, his role was supposed to be reliever/emergency starter. But Matsuzaka is gone, Lester and Buchholz are both on the DL ... and do I have to bring up Lackey?

Tito has turned to Wake, and the pro's pro has delivered -- far better than any of us realistically could have expected. But like some Celtic fans don't appreciate Rondo because he doesn't hit those pretty jumpers, some Sox fans can't grasp Wakefield's true value.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hopefully he will retire at the end of the season as a hero... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield a pro's, pro! : Trout, I have always appreciated what Wake's done for the team over the last decade and this year is just another example of why he's so highly regarded by Francona & Epstein. While it's difficult to place a true value on his body of work, he's certainly earned his paycheck.  Having a veteran guy that will and can take the ball regardless of the venue or the circumstances go out on the hill and compete has to be reassuring for Francona...Not sure what is more valuable? His ability to take the ball every five days and/or work out of the pen in long relief, and give us valuable innings or that he's willing and able to take the ball regardless of the circumstances and compete... Like you, I too have an uneasy feeling when he's on the mound (So too does his catcher that day). From one start to the next, inning to inning or pitch to pitch he's like a box of chocolates not sure what your gonna get he can look unhittable for 3 and then give up a 5 spot, come back out and cruise for 2 more and give up another 5 spot...When his knuckler is dancing on the wind, he's tough to square up, when it tumbles, look out on landsdown street and drivers beware on Mass Pike, he's simply a Pro's Pro!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
          This is a wonderful post and the quote "he's like a box of chocolates" has got to be the most original and oddly apt description of Wakefield that I've heard yet. Trouts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m