Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher

Couldn't agree more Teddy, that Wake should come back for at least one more year.
    However, I couldn't disagree more on the knuckler, I love it! I love seeing it float up there at 68 MPH, and making the most feared hitters in the AL, look like fools trying to hit it. The PBs and WPs are a result more of having a catcher that can't handle him. Vmart had no problem catching Wakefield, neither did Mirabelli. Just so happens the RS have two catchers that can't.
    Wake's Whip has always been respectable, which indicates his H/9 is as good as some of the premier pitchers in the league. If not for poor defense and a sub-par BP, his record would have been very good this year. Plus, he can still field his position decently, probably better than most on the staff other than Dice.
    He gets my vote.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Wakefield: 'I have a strong desire to pitch one more year for the Red Sox'-Do you want him back?

posted at 12/3/2011 11:50 AM EST
    First: 10/13/2011
    Last: 12/3/2011
    Yaz has a strong desire to sit on the bench one year for the Red Sox for several million.

Wastefield's 2011 beer belly and 5 plus ERA reflected an old man with a strong desire to make millions to drink beer and pad career long individual stats at the expensive of his team in a young man's game.

Wastefield has pitifully resorted to campaigning over the Internet.

Cherry has already correctly insulted him to try and get him to become another team's parasite, by saying "if any role at all" in response to Wastefield's begging agent's promise to retire if he gets one more year of millions in welfare payments.

Most Red Sox fans finally have a strong desire to see Wastefied pitch for a girl's softball team.

Wastefield is like a little kid who keeps promising his mother if she will let him play one more video game then he promises to go to sleep. Of course, he plays another 4 games when Mom comes back to check on him.

Wastefield said he was going to retire after the last welfare contract from InEpstein. Red Sox have paid this sap over 50 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Note, author changed thread title, which was Tim Wastefield's tweet about a strong desire to pitch one more year for the Red Sox)

Thread title is not accurate. Tim Wastefield is a MLBPA member FA without a contract and is not a Boston Red Sox pitcher. The personal desire to see another ceremonial individual career seeking record distraction is not the way to award contracts and roster spots.

Cherry correclty insulted the guy to try and send his desperate pleas elsewhere. "If any role at all".

Wastefield is no longer a contract 3.75M cost parasite on the Red Sox. He is an unwanted 45 year old beer gut 5 plus ERA for over the last 2 seasons FA. Red Sox need to keep it that way. Inesptein Red Sox non-producing 40 year old plus welfare office is now in Chicago. I recommend Wastefied give Theo a call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I respect him.

I just don't want him back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher:
    [QUOTE]It is the holiday season. At 73 I dont ever really feel good but some days I wake up thankful that I woke up. This is one of those days. Tim Wakefield: Never been much of a fan Tim; hate the knucleball, passed balls, wild pitches; dislike the inconsistancy. Tim Wakefield: Has always been a solid professional; few complaints no matter how frustrated he was at how he was used; always cared more for playing with the Red Sox than how much he earned doing so; could almost always be counted on to eat innings. Tim Wakefied: I respect and admire you as a person and professional baseball player; I thank you for your contributions to our Red Sox team ( mostly unheralted). Since I am not a fan this comment means a little more: "Give Tim one more year"!!!! He will be inexpensive as always. He will pitch his guts out for our team. The MAN deserves a chance to go out a winner with a winner. I would like to see us get GARZA because the cubs owe us and MLB should insure that we get our due. To go out and find another Penny or other bottom feeder and forsake Tim Wakefield no longer makes sense to me but then again I woke up glad I was alive today.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

No, No, a thousand times No. Wakefield the team guy cover was blown last year, he became a me guy in pursuit of 200 win, Sox don't need the drama of Timmy going for 192 as a member of '12 squad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Enough with Wakefield, please give him his day at Fenway which he deserves but do not sign him anymore. He was another straw that broke Francona's back last year. He cannot go more than 5 innings and no lead is safe with him as he looses it really quickly before you can get someone loosened up.  He is done already !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No, No, a thousand times No. Wakefield the team guy cover was blown last year, he became a me guy in pursuit of 200 win, Sox don't need the drama of Timmy going for 192 as a member of '12 squad.

Correctamundo. The 2011 200 wins circus sideshow was a huge distraction that turned into a record chase for most consective losses. No need to double down and roll out beer gut sidewhow for 2012.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why people kept wanting him back.  Theo was close to let him go two to three years ago, but instead he kept him.  Result, Red Sox havent made into the playoff in two years ago.  He is one of 10 team's problems last year!!

Seriously, time to say thank you Wakefield, and good luck with his retirement life!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

While I agree he needs to go, Wakefield's presence on the roster the last two years did not keep the team from the playoffs .... lack of executive leadership, lack of conditioning and bad luck did

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Why people kept wanting him back. Theo was close to let him go two to three years ago, but instead he kept him. Result, Red Sox havent made into the playoff in two years ago. He is one of 10 team's problems last year!!

Correctumundo.

Wakefield's presence on the roster the last two years did not keep the team from the playoffs .... lack of executive leadership, lack of conditioning

So, a 44 year old 5 plus ERA pile waddles around with a giant beer gut and throws the slowpitch goofball once a week for 3.75 million dollar cost, team loses almost every game he starts in the dogdays part of the season and you want him on the roster depiste claiming a lack of conditioning was the cause of playoff absence.

Delete your drivel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

I would keep Wakefield for another year.  Memo to our new Manger:  Wake is good for 5 innins.  He cn go through the line-up twice then done.  30 starts at 5 innings per gives you 150 innings for the season.  For a 5th starter not too bad.  The 5th starter doesn't make the post-season roster so don't worry.  If the mysteriuos 4th guy goes down with an injury do not move Wakefield up.  Accept the fact he goes 5 innings and will give you no more.   Note to Ben:  1 million for the year with incentives for innings and ERA under 5.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

It is just time to move on, his high water mark is a 5 inning guy, with an era of 5+ His spot would be better served by giving someone, anyone a chance in rotation or bull-pen. Give him a day, give him a watch, just give him a handshake good-by.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher:
    [QUOTE]No, No, a thousand times No. Wakefield the team guy cover was blown last year, he became a me guy in pursuit of 200 win, Sox don't need the drama of Timmy going for 192 as a member of '12 squad. Correctamundo. The 2011 200 wins circus sideshow was a huge distraction that turned into a record chase for most consective losses. No need to double down and roll out beer gut sidewhow for 2012.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

I feel guilty drinking a beer tonight!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]You have to respect Wakefield for lasting this long with a junk pitch that a guy resorts to when he can't throw anything else. Still, there has to be someone out there that can contribute more than a five-plus earned run average.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I want Wakefield back, but have YOU ever tried throwing a knuckler..consistently and for strikes as well?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher : I'm not saying I want Wakefield back, but have YOU ever tried throwing a knuckler..consistently and for strikes as well?
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Throwing a screwball is hard too, that's why so few pitchers throw it. I don't get your point

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the Francona bootlickers, defeated in trying to deflect blame of their manager for the epic 2011 fail, now cling to Wakefield - hoping that this relic of Francona's tenure somehow sticks for yet another useless year of pitching to make themselves feel better about their disgraced regime....

i got news for you, Wakefield is not coming back -he is everything that Softy says he is...and the fruitless quest for his milestone victory damaged our team greatly and had a huge mental effect on our team...we do not need to carry that baggage again...the self-serving statements by Wake & his agent have sealed the deal for his dismissal....get a grip, get a life...Wake and probably Tek are done...and rightfully so....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Can you imagine if there was a Sandy Koufax sitting in the Minors, and this guy is holding kids up. This is the biggest problem with Sox Management in the past. Let these old timers go, time to move on. There will be baseball in 50 years from now. Hope Wakefield isn't looking for a contract then.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Just imagine if there was another Weiland sitting in the minors, and this guy was holding him up?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

I have a strong desire to play for the RS, But thats not going to happen either. Wakefield need to hang it up or find a fool to sign him to their team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

WE may have room in the bullpen...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I "deserve" to see Wakefield take two more seasons to knock off one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history from the all time RS wins record, the great Cy Young.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seriously, where is the truck for the glue factory - like the one in Animal Farm when u need it????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The Wakefield discussions are very much akin to the Manager discussions in which it was IMO a no brainer to hire Bobby V., in this case same scenario, no brainer that it is time for Wakefield to move on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Hey Wakefield coming back makes as much sense as asking Dewey Evens to come back and play right or Pedro as the fifth starter.