Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher

Pedro Martinez only yesterday made his retirement official, and he just turned 40.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He had his year last year. Enough these guys do not know when to walk away from the game. With this team so tight on money why would you waste 3 or 4 million on a guy who barley makes it into the 5th inning ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher:
    In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher :    Throwing a screwball is hard too, that's why so few pitchers throw it. I don't get your point
    Posted by attic-dan

You're kidding?

What I mean is that to throw a knuckler consistently and for strikes is, in itself,  an incredible feat.  Ever try throwing one?..I did..or even actually caught one? If you haven't, it's quite an experience.  People talk as if it's a routine choice of pitch.  It isn't.

I don't necessarily want Wakefield back, but to be able to throw a pitch like that for that many years and survive in the major leagues is remarkable in itself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

i got news for you, Wakefield is not coming back -he is everything that Softy says he is...and the fruitless quest for his milestone victory damaged our team greatly and had a huge mental effect on our team...we do not need to carry that baggage again...the self-serving statements by Wake & his agent

Correct. I warned people that parading the Wakefield milestone chase out there when the team was flying high was terrible distraction, false assumption, and a huge mistake. After record collapse, he comments that fans deserve the chance to see him chase another individiual milestone in 2012. Then the absurd plea vis a vis his agent with a childish promise to retire if gifted another contract.

For the love of Mike Lowell, pull the plug!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I respect him. I just don't want him back.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zill: my sentiments and all the Sox faithfull here in Fla, and they are numerous, feel same as you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher : Zill: my sentiments and all the Sox faithfull here in Fla, and they are numerous, feel same as you.
    Posted by boboinfla

Wait, I'm in Fla, and I'm not totally against one more year for Wake. As in years past, the manager and the bullpen cost Wake dearly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pedro Martinez only yesterday made his retirement official, and he just turned 40.
    Posted by BurritoT

You do know that Wake's best 50 consecutive game started streak of his entire career was from age 41-42, right?  

(2008 to mid 2009)

Trying to fit Wake into the typical age curve dynamic just doesn't work. His worst years were the typical "peak ages" of most starters (ages 29-33).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Trying to fit Wake into the typical age curve dynamic just doesn't work

Trying to fit Wake into retirement with all the other 45 year old ceremonial old timers, it is all that works. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You said the same at 39, 40, 41, 42, 43...  one of these years you just might get it right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm with Teddybaseball.  In fact, I would use Timmy as my number 5 to start the season and let him pitch until he proves that he is a worse option than some other pitcher on the 40 man. 

Last yer he had a really good run (for a number 5 starter) once he started regularly.  It lasted about 15 games.  Then he faded, and pitched in extremely bad luck while preoccupied with trying to win his 200th game.  I think he can win 10 - 12 games by August, and then he can give way to Dice-K or whomever has really shined in the minors, going to relief and pitching an inning in every park on his farewell tour; that type of finish to his year and his career.  And hopefully he will end up with a team that makes it to the WS.  He deserves that, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Enough with Wake. His agent said he'd win 15 games in the NL. Where are all the teams knocking down his door?

Wakefield announced yesterday that he wanted to return because the other teams knocking on this door sound like crickets...Chirp....Chrip.....Chirp...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yes, ADG.

I did not call for Wastefield to the dumpster until the end of 2009. I was right. 45 year olds usually don't get better with time. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If the Red Sox have 20 pitchers who are clearly better than Wakefield, then don't re-sign him. Right now, that's not the case.

Clearly better:

1. Beckett, 2. Lester, 3. Buchholz, 4. Aceves, 5. Bard.

Probably better:

6. Albers, 7. Morales.

Maybe better:

8. Tazawa.

About the same:

10. Miller, 11. Bowden.

Worse:

12. Weiland. 

A team needs about 20 pitchers to get through a season. Right now, the Red Sox have 5 elite arms, two okay arms, a question mark, and then a group of pitchers who are the same or worse than Wakefield. Add 9 guys who are better than Wakefield and the team should feel free to move on from him. If Wheeler accepts arbitration, that would be one. Presumably the Red Sox will sign another 2-3 pitchers as well. Even then, Wakefield would be a top 20 pitcher in the organization. I think it's perfectly reasonable to offer him a two-way minor league deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher : Just imagine if there was another Weiland sitting in the minors, and this guy was holding him up?
    Posted by moonslav59

LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I would keep Wakefield for another year.  Memo to our new Manger:  Wake is good for 5 innins.  He cn go through the line-up twice then done.  30 starts at 5 innings per gives you 150 innings for the season.  For a 5th starter not too bad.  The 5th starter doesn't make the post-season roster so don't worry.  If the mysteriuos 4th guy goes down with an injury do not move Wakefield up.  Accept the fact he goes 5 innings and will give you no more.   Note to Ben:  1 million for the year with incentives for innings and ERA under 5.
    Posted by soxfan1967

I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher:
    In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield - Boston Red Sox Pitcher : Just imagine if there was another Weiland sitting in the minors, and this guy was holding him up?
    Posted by moonslav59

LOL

I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it; we need to laugh to stay healthy. 

The point I was making was a serious one. This Sox system does not have many (if any) MLb ready starting pitchers in the minors, so the notion that "they" are being "held back" in utter nonsense. Last year we rushed Weiland to the majors and perhaps caused more harm than good to his development. Miller started out in AAA and walked the worl in April there. He turned it around in May, but was rushed to the majors too quickly and reverted back to the walk machine he has always been. 

If we had all these wonder kids softy and others dream we have, why did we trade for Bedard? Why did Lackey stay in the rotation so long? @012 may hold more hope. Doubront could be healthy. Wilson might get a shot, but I still think Weiland and Ranaudo need more sharpening at the farm

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I don't dream we have wonder kids. My nightmare is seeing a highly paid management team parade out that 45 year old goofball pitcher with the giant beer gut, failing to allocate the roster spot time to something younger as bad or better from the entire trade market of the world and the farm.

Wastefield ceremonal tour fiasco is the face of the 2011 collapse. He is an embarrassment to the integrity of the competition and the Red Sox brand.

Other than a few old prideful white men who want to vicarously live through that old fat ugly looking and T-Ball launching parasite, most Red Sox fans understand how absurd it is to even suggest putting Wastefield back on the million dollar payroll. Wastefield in 2010 and 2011 was a true testimonial to how pathetic the Red Sox farm is and how inept the Inepstein administrartion was.

Pay the millions to Francis and other younger vets for the back bencher spots, and invest time and call-ups and call-downs and call-ups in Doubrant, Weiland, Wilson and Tazawa and exercise patience with youth.

Patience with a beer gut 45 year old wasehd up guy pining that fans deserve to see him, and he wants to pitch for the Red Sox and promises to retire if Cherry will get out Wastefield's plan pen for one more million dollar season is enough to draw the insult from Cherry. 

Just the knowledge that Wastefield is finished for the Red Sox will send the correct message to other parasites like Varitek who most certainly will beg for their playpen for another season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pay the millions to Francis and other younger vets for the back bencher spots, and invest time and call-ups and call-downs and call-ups in Doubrant, Weiland, Wilson and Tazawa and exercise patience with youth. 

Sheer hocus pocus. 

1) You do realize Jeff Francis has "an average mean" (You're twisted terminology, not mine) ERA of over 5.00. ( 4 years over 5.00, 3 years under).

2) You still think Weiland would have done better had he just had an extended chance?  The kid was 8-10 in Pawtuckett and had a 3.9 BB/9. Although he was 24 when called up, he was not in any way ready. The only reason he was on the big club was the emergency situation we had at the time. The fact that you actually would have planned on him starting 10-20 straight games on a highly competitive team in a fishbowl community with the media we have shows your baseball knowledge is seriously lacking. You used to argue that pitching was everything. Now you want to settle on dumpster dives and spend precious funds on catching and DHs.

3) I like Tazwa, and also think Doubront could be ready for 2012, but I would never plan on one or both of them combined to give us 32 starts in 2012. If we had 4 top quality starters, then maybe we could take a gamble, and pick someone up in july if the gamble did not pay off, but I'm not even counting on Beckett, Lester, and Buch to all be at top form for 33 starts each in '12.  Are you?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

Wakfield should be a thing of the past. You have to know when to let go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have you let go of your barney doll yet?

(Seeing your cartoon photo, I couldn't resist.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

See 2011 starting rotation and turnover of AL East Champion NY Yankees. Epstein spent the money, time to award back bencher spots to younger veterans and farm hands.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

The Sox can't continue to waste a roster spot for Tim, it pains me to say that because he's been a favorite of mine for a long time, there comes a time you have to cut ties and I feel that time has arrived and only wish him luck if he signs elsewhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well, it's not the coming back for a last season that bugs me. it's finding a catcher that can actually catch that knuckleball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Appreciate what he's done for us, but it's clearly time to say goodbye. It's always a sad day when a guy goes from veteran to geezer status, and he's the last to know it. Bringing him back to watch the painful pursuit of a personal milestone would be a horrible mistake. One of the lessons from last season should be to put the needs of the team above any one players personal wishes. He'll be fondly remembered, but it's time to cut the cord.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Bringing him back to watch the painful pursuit of a personal milestone would be a horrible mistake. One of the lessons from last season should be to put the needs of the team above any one players personal wishes. He'll be fondly remembered, but it's time to cut the cord.

Correctomundo

Sections
Shortcuts