Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters

Wakefield threatened to sign with a Florida team if his pen role wasn't changed. No question that Wakefield believes he is one of the 6 best pitcers on the team. He's going to be furious if management gives him the bad news that his season is over. Reports of his anger over starter demotions are plentiful.

Since no Red Sox fan is willing to defend Wakefield and a playoff roster spot, one can only hope that Wakefield's reaction to being left off of playoff roster will be his final straw with Red Sox management. Management has kept him around for PR record chasing reasons, but I'm sure their patience is growing thin.

Hopefully, Wastefield finally gets a booster seat 200 win and he is hung up wet, for good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No question you won't defend a playoff roster spot for old goofball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Softlaw I think Wake demonstrated the other night that he excels in 4 innings of mop-up duty in a totally lost game. Surely that has value if we intend to get blown-out by 10 runs in the play-offs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

True, but Bill Hall also excelled in that role. I've always felt the best way to mop up blowout out of hand losses is to simply use a position player to throw meatballs to try and tire out the opponent for the next game. Underhanded, whatever it takes to get the opponent to just want to go home.

Wastefield is not needed, at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

True, but Bill Hall also excelled in that role. I've always felt the best way to mop up blowout out of hand losses is to simply use a position player to throw meatballs to try and tire out the opponent for the next game. Underhanded, whatever it takes to get the opponent to just want to go home.

Wastefield is not needed, at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield threatened to sign with a Florida team if his pen role wasn't changed. No question that Wakefield believes he is one of the 6 best pitcers on the team. He's going to be furious if management gives him the bad news that his season is over. Reports of his anger over starter demotions are plentiful. Since no Red Sox fan is willing to defend Wakefield and a playoff roster spot, one can only hope that Wakefield's reaction to being left off of playoff roster will be his final straw with Red Sox management. Management has kept him around for PR record chasing reasons, but I'm sure their patience is growing thin. Hopefully, Wastefield finally gets a booster seat 200 win and he is hung up wet, for good.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

Really? Any links?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Hopefully Wakefield can be in a position to get a "vulture" win to be the pitcher of record and put the No. 200 thing to rest once and for all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP is completely untrue.  He hopes to be on the playoff roster, but has missed it in years past and knows the score. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield threatened to sign with a Florida team if his pen role wasn't changed. No question that Wakefield believes he is one of the 6 best pitcers on the team. He's going to be furious if management gives him the bad news that his season is over. Reports of his anger over starter demotions are plentiful. Since no Red Sox fan is willing to defend Wakefield and a playoff roster spot, one can only hope that Wakefield's reaction to being left off of playoff roster will be his final straw with Red Sox management. Management has kept him around for PR record chasing reasons, but I'm sure their patience is growing thin. Hopefully, Wastefield finally gets a booster seat 200 win and he is hung up wet, for good.

Wake has been a Boston icon through the good and bad.  I want Wake to get number 200 but also to go out in style by retiring on his own like Tek at some point.  They have both had great careers but if there presence means holding back a youngster from their shot at the majors Wake, Tek and our management must do whats best for the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Wake will be on the playoff roster...you guys really think Tito will keep him off when we are one of the favorites to win it all?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Just to put him on the roster would say the staff heads into the playoffs in big trouble. Unless the Red Sox become clairvoyant and know the game they are going to score ten runs in Wakefield will not work for them in the playoffs.  Then again they would have to know the same information to proceed with Lackey as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He did so much worse than Miller on Friday...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We need Wake on the playoff roster because he keeps us in the game, gives us a chance to win , eats innings and saves the bullpen. And , he is a nice guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Let's see how September plays out.  Miller, Albers, Doubront, Bowden, Wheeler - everyone has had their problems. Wake deserves the same courtesy as any of them. At the rate the Sox are going, I'll end up watching 3 innings because they'll be out of it after the first inning in each game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

I have always liked Wake, he is a true red sox like Varitek. I like to see him on the playoff roster because of his experience and as a reliever. When he is on a roll he can win matches for us. We all know consistancy has been an issue with him. I want him to retire as a sox and we all need to be thankful for his years of service to the nation. He is a good guy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I agree with frankn. It's still too early to tell whether Wakefield deserves a spot on the post-season roster. In all likelihood, there will be 10 pitchers on the ALDS roster, 11 for the ALCS and World Series.

The locks (5): Beckett, Lester, Papelbon, Bard, Aceves.
    The probables (2): Bedard (health issues), Morales (need a lefty).

This leaves three spots. One of those spots will go to the fourth starter: Lackey, Wakefield, or Miller. Despite Lackey's 6+ ERA, he's the likliest candidate because of his post-season experience. But if the Red Sox have the intestinal fortitude to keep the mercurial powderkeg Lackey off the playoff roster, then Wakefield is the most logical replacement for fourth starter. I think the decision should depend on two factors: (1) who is pitching better at the end of the season, and (2) the identity of the opponent.

If the Red Sox open at Texas, then the No. 4 starter would pitch at Fenway. Lackey has a higher home ERA (6.08 entering yesterday) than road ERA (5.75). Before yesterday's debacle, he had an 11.32 ERA and .378 BAA against Texas this year. He has not faced Detroit. Using his three-year splits, he has a 6.92 ERA against the Tigers in two starts. Tim Wakefield has a 1.50 ERA against Texas this season in 6 innings of work and a 2.57 ERA against the Tigers in 7 innings. By three-year splits, he's got a 12.74 ERA against the Rangers in 17 innings of work, and a 2.49 ERA in 21 innings against the Tigers. Wakefield pitches over a half run better at home (4.37 ERA) than on the road (4.94 ERA) in that timeframe.

Given Wakefield's clear and consistent statistical success against the Detroit Tigers, I'd put him on the roster as the Game 4 starter (in lieu of John Lackey) if the Tigers are the ALDS opponent. If the Rangers are the first round opponent, then it gets more complicated. Wakefield's 12.74 ERA against Texas is horrendous, but Lackey's numbers are terrible too, including this year. Andrew Miller mowed the Rangers down once, then got lit up his second time. I'm not sure if there's any good solution to No. 4 starter against Texas. While a case could be made for Miller, by arguing that at least he pitched well against the Rangers once, what if his abysmal failure the second time around was due to the Rangers figuring him out upon watching video from his previous start? Throwing someone like Kyle Weiland out there in a playoff game would be a lot of pressure on the rookie. I'll leave No. 4 starter for a Texas series as a giant question mark. Whoever is pitching best out of Lackey, Wakefield and Miller heading into October will get the nod.

For the two remaining bullpen spots, the candidates are: Albers, Wheeler, Buchholz, Wakefield, Miller, Weiland, Bowden, and Doubront. I think we can cross off the last three, no matter how they perform from here on out, because of their lack of experience. If Buchholz is healthy, he gets one of the two positions. If Miller could be more consistent, he'd probably get the other  because he's a lefty. If he continues to hemorrhage runs, then I'd go with whoever is pitching best between Albers and Wheeler, or both of them if Buchholz can't play in October.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters:
    [QUOTE]We need Wake on the playoff roster because he keeps us in the game, gives us a chance to win , eats innings and saves the bullpen. And , he is a nice guy.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

What Wakefield have you been watching? I love wake, but he is over!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

We need Wake on the playoff roster because he keeps us in the game, gives us a chance to win , eats innings and saves the bullpen. And , he is a nice guy.                 

I nominate this satirical beauty for a year end Softy award.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Once again Softy plays fast-and-loose with the truth and posters lick it up.

In early March Wake was asked by a reporter about his playing someplace else and Wake replied "I've been here so long.  Why would I want to play anyplace else?"
    He was then pressed by another reporter about what he'd do if he wasn't with the Sox this year and he said that Florida was his home and if he was going to play he'd consider that. 

That's a far cry from "threatening to sign with a Florida team is his pen role wasn't changed."

-- According to Softy, Wake thinks he's better than Beckett, Lester, Bucchholtz (sp />), Bedard, lackey, Paps and Bard.   While that may be debatable, how does Softy know what Wake is thinking?

-- Softy says, "Reports over his anger over starter demotions are plentiful".  This is all "spin". I say that reports over his frustration over starter demotions are plentiful.

Softy is on a one-man campaign to destroy the credibility of Tim Wakefield.  He tried it with Ellsbury and it didn't work, he tried it last year with Mike Lowell and it didn't work, and now he's "going to work" on Wake.

Wake is a professional and understands his role on the team.  I say that because he also has said (loosely quoted) 'The team isn't trying to do me a favor here, we're trying to win ball games'. 

We have every right to debate his contribution to the team, but to attempt to destroy Wake's character on the basis of what Softy thinks he knows about what's going on in Wake's head is unconscionable.  JMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

I am nervous at this time if any RS player will be a playoff roster. We need medical help! The Rays have great pitching and could easily catch the Sox if we don't get healthy in the srarting rotation. Beckett, Buch and Bedard cannot leave the Sox future to Miller, Wake or Lackey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield Expects to Be on all Playoff Rosters : What Wakefield have you been watching? I love wake, but he is over!
    Posted by soxdawg08[/QUOTE]
    It was a joke!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

SORRY THE RAYS WILL OVERTAKE THE SOX SO ALL THIS WAKEFIELD TALK WILL BE MOOT>