Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

I would like to see nothing more than that win record taken from Roger! The odds aren't too terrible! Especially if we can tack a few more 12 run games up for him. With Buch on the D.L. and Miller being an unknown quantity this could be the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.

It will be tough to get there this year, but if he gets close he comes back next year and someone around be having a cow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Never thought he would get the opportunity ... but with the Sox swatting opposite pitching, it may actually be possible if he stays in the rotation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I hope he does it this year, just to avoid the issue next year over what to do with him.  With Dice-K out the rest of the season and Lackey with the bad elbow.  Tim could get another 15 - 18 starts this year.  He only has to be above .500 to get there.  I would love to see him do it.

And if not this year, make him a starter next year and let him do it until he proves he cannot.  Having Wakefield hold that record over Clemens and Cy Young would be great.  Every Sox fan should be rooting for that.  (are you out there softy?)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Wake seems to be one of those runs he can get on where he's as good as anyone. These runs can last six starts to 26 starts. With Buch on the DL, he'll have two or three more starts in the regular rotation before a decision has to be made. But if he keeps going like this, it will be hard to take him out.

If he stays in the rotation for the rest of the year, he'll have about 18 more starts. (I figure two more until the halfway point of the season then about 16 in the second half). He's what 4-2 so far as a starter this year. I could see him going 10-5 in the second half if he keeps pitching like he has, especially with the bats going like they have.

But that's looking too far ahead for the moment. You never know what can happen. I just know I'm rooting for him. Heck, I'd love to see him go 14-2 in those 18 starts and finish 18-4. I've been a huge fan of his since he joined the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Being the complete game freak I am I wish Tito would have rolled Tim out there for the last inning. A CG would have been terrific to see on Tim's score card.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

CG's no longer have any real meaning, unless there's a shutout/no-no in process...or UR Roy Halladay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In addition to wanting to see it happen, there's an additional benefit.  Geo agreed to take down that hideous Clemens liar avatar and replace it with a pic of Wake if he breaks the record.  That in and of itself should give bdc posters enough reason to want to see it happen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness true that the stat CG means little... but tell me Wake would not be sitting back and enjoying his win that much more with one under his belt... it still feels good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Congrats Tim, whenever you get there. A good guy, a great teammate, a legendary RS player, and a terrific knuckleball pitcher for a long time. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Tim Wakefield is now 9 wins away.:
    [QUOTE]harness true that the stat CG means little... but tell me Wake would not be sitting back and enjoying his win that much more with one under his belt... it still feels good.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it means that much to him at this point.
    He understands how the game has evolved. But I do think he'd love to get it in the game that breaks the record for him - or perhaps his 200th win.
    I can see it being icing on the cake when it comes to milestones.
    With him, it would symbolize his ability to last so long when others dropped by then wayside.

Halladay wears it like a badge of honor, not just because he's a throw-back type of pitcher, but because he is pitch efficient enough to be allowed to be put in such a position. That's the part of today's game that is lacking.

The reason CG's are old relics is because of the attention to strikeouts.
    Pitching to contact results in fewer pitches thrown.
    Managers would have no qualms with CG's if pitch counts stayed manageable.
    And in this day and age, getting outs while throwing the fewest pitches possible saves BP arms and allows games to flow quicker.
    This art is lost to the glamour of swinging for fences and getting K's.

Halladay isn't among the leaders in SO's every year, but he's certainly no less a pitcher as a result, and most definitely helps the pen stay stronger.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

The only reason Wastefield was resigned in 2009 was "the record", which is meaningless in import. And for those claiming that he'd have been put in spots to get wins, or started the entire time to get wins, remember that we are talking about Wastefield. Epstein is simply using a roster spot to try and mop and mulch. It reminds me of the circus, where you pay a dollar to see the fattest lady in the world. It's the sideshow act that has nothing to do with the main act.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The real circus act is your Wakefield obsession.
    And it's gone from monotonous to disturbing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

A tall order, indeed, for all nine wins to come this year.

He will, at some point break down (he always does), and then we'll have the drawn out discussions and debates about whether to bring him back for 2012.

If he continues to do well, and gets close, I vote yes to sign him for 2012.

There's more than the wins record here.  This organization should maximize every opportunity for Wake to succeed at this milestone achievement.

It's two fold:

1.  They reward years of outstanding service to the team and the community by Wake.

2.  They diminish the already diminished achievements of an egotistical cheat and poor example of an MLB role model.

Good luck, Wake!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The real circus act is your Wakefield obsession. And it's gone from monotonous to disturbing.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

And, unfortunately for me, funny. Let's not forget that recent out of nowwhere post on who's responsible for free love and tolerance of alternate life styles; the Lowrie post tonight was funny too. I haven't seen any new pot shots at Tek & Ells though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]A tall order, indeed, for all nine wins to come this year. He will, at some point break down (he always does), and then we'll have the drawn out discussions and debates about whether to bring him back for 2012. If he continues to do well, and gets close, I vote yes to sign him for 2012. There's more than the wins record here.  This organization should maximize every opportunity for Wake to succeed at this milestone achievement. It's two fold: 1.  They reward years of outstanding service to the team and the community by Wake. 2.  They diminish the already diminished achievements of an egotistical cheat and poor example of an MLB role model. Good luck, Wake!
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]

Roger that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]CG's no longer have any real meaning, unless there's a shutout/no-no in process...or UR Roy Halladay.

or James Shields 2011..I think hes got 5 or 6 already....I hope Timmah does it..Cant stand Clemens and after his departure and his steroid antics, I wouldnt want him representing ANYTHING Red Sox...Yes Harness, red/softy is TRULY obsessed with Wake and Jed and its turned from amusing to disturbing..The lengths someone will go to to TRY to make their point appear right is amazing..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

That's right:  Shields leads MLB in CG's with 5.  Verlander and Halladay lead the Majors in innings pitched. 

I looked at two MLB pitching stats:  total innings and total pitches, and it was mostly the same guys.  Most of them were also right around 8 or 9 K's per inning, which means they don't always pitch to contact. 

I think the real workhorses have these qualities:  they throw strikes; they have good stuff, which keeps their ERA down and allows them to stay in the game; they average about 15 or so pitches per inning; they probably throw with less effort and angst than lesser pitches. 

In about 5 or 6 weeks Wakefield will be 15 years on the downside after 30, but he is still around and going after the record because, surprisingly (to me, anyway), he is an efficient pitcher.  Of the top 50 pitchers in MLB in terms of innings pitched, only two throw fewer pitchers per inning than Wake's 14.68.  One is the Rays' Shields and the other is the Cardinals' Lohse.  Everybody else in the top 50 throws more pitches per inning that Wake, who himself is not of course in the top 50 in innings pitched.  Heck, he's only started 8 games, the leaders in IP's for the most part have started 16 or 15 games. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Wake has done everything he can, you can't argue that.  He deserves appreciation, not to be called Wastefield.   It appears certain people would rather be right about Wake failing, then to have him pitch well and make their negative comments look stupid.   And these are Sox fans.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I'd like to see him eclipse Clemens. It would be a tall order to do it this year, but possible. He's a great guy and has meant so much to this team over the years. He's filled every role ever asked of him, and pitched below market value for so many years.

He's pitching well this year and is third on the team in WHIP behind Bard and Beckett.

Surprisingly he only has two stolen bases against him this year throwing that knuckleball with it's low speed and movement, compared with 10 against Beckett and 15 against Lackey.

How anyone could not give him the credit he is due for his services over the years to this team, including this year, is beyond me.

His main detractor has as little credibility, when he bashes Wake, as he does when he tries to bash Ellsbury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Wake has done everything he can, you can't argue that.  He deserves appreciation, not to be called Wastefield.   It appears certain people would rather be right about Wake failing, then to have him pitch well and make their negative comments look stupid.   And these are Sox fans.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

NO..I dont give a damn what they say..If you keep trashing a player/manager over and over and over and over, whos on the team you supposedly cheer for, buy merch etc..You are NOT a true fan in MY eyes..The "fans" that cant even give credit when something good was done or admit they were wrong, is the difference to those that can say, "Yeah, I was off on that one" or "He made the right move there, good job!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xcaliber. Show xcaliber's posts

I for one pray The boys can give Wake the run support to take that record! It would be a damn shame to see him retire or move on after doing SO much for us and not get there. He is one of the last true gentlemen of the game. Yes, he has had rough outings but who hasn't? Let's GO Wake!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Had to put softy on ignore. His "Wastefield" obsession negates the small value he once had with his baseball know-how. He's now officially an out and out troll. It's sad to see a once-promising poster get so discouraged about his many incorrect predictions that he would go this route, but so it goes. To call a dedicated player of our team such demeaning names shows not only is he trollish but he is a no-class individual and I for one can't consider that kind of name calling to be anything but handing in your card as a fan. 

So be it. Ignored from now on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I certainly hope he gets it at some point, erasing Clemons from the top spot would be fantastic.

BTW it would me one more meal for Softy-Red-Whatever:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]The real circus act is your Wakefield obsession. And it's gone from monotonous to disturbing.
    And you knew it was coming the minute you saw the threat title, didn't you?

Sections
Shortcuts